Moto GP 2014 Round 12 Silverstone***SPOILER*** - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Thanked 1,043 Times in 921 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Moto GP 2014 Round 12 Silverstone***SPOILER***

Well MM93 winning streak came to and end, he now shares the incredible record with the great Agostini. He took the loss very well imo, how will he do this Sunday ;)

Circuit info

Length: 5.900 m / 3.666 miles
Width: 17m
Left corners: 8
Right corners: 10
Longest straight: 770 m / 0.478 miles
Constructed: 1948
Modified: 2011

Introduction:
With more than 60 years of history Silverstone has become one of the most prestigious venues dedicated to motorsport. Completely revamped in recent years, a multimillion pound investment saw the completion in 2010 of a first phase of works to greatly improve the venue, making it one of the fastest tracks on the MotoGP calendar and earning high praise from the World Championship riders who enjoyed the new layout. The ‘Silverstone Wing’, a state-of-the-art, multi-million pound complex, became a new landmark at the circuit from 2011, thus adding to already breathtaking facilities at Silverstone.

Records Season Rider Motorcycle Time Speed
MotoGP
Fastest Lap 2013 Marc MARQUEZ (SPA) Honda 2'00.691 175.9 km/h
Circuit Record 2013 Dani PEDROSA (SPA) Honda 2'01.941 174.1 km/h
Best Pole 2013 Marc MARQUEZ (SPA) Honda 2'00.691 175.9 km/h
Top Speed 2013 Stefan BRADL (GER) Honda 326.3 km/h

Last edited by CBR Time; 08-25-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Silverstone poised for Battle of Britain
With Pedrosa having won the Czech Grand Prix, Honda has now established a new record for the longest sequence of successive wins by one manufacturer since the MotoGP class was introduced at the start of 2002; although Marquez may have narrowly missed out on becoming the first ever rider to win the opening 11 races of a season, his team still holds a 100% win record for 2014 so far.

Last year at Silverstone, the Northamptonshire circuit witnessed one of the most memorable duels in living memory as Marquez went head-to-head with Jorge Lorenzo, a battle which saw the Yamaha rider beat his rival by less than one tenth of of a second. The two-time World Champion rider will now be looking to follow in the footsteps of Pedrosa by claiming his first victory of the campaign, while in the process searching for an 80th podium finish in the top tier of Grand Prix racing; only Valentino Rossi, Mick Doohan, Dani Pedrosa and Giacomo Agostini have more…

As for Rossi, the Italian is set to officially become the most experienced rider to have ever contested the 500cc or MotoGP class. He will start his 246th Grand Prix this weekend, surpassing the 245 starts of Alex Barros; ironically, this will happen exactly 17 years to the day since Rossi clinched his first world title in the 125cc class at Brno in 1997. He debuted in the premier class in 2000 and since then has amassed a remarkable 80 Grand Prix victories, 154 podium placings, 49 pole positions, 68 fastest race laps and seven world titles. Although he has never won at Silverstone, ‘The Doctor’ triumphed at Donington Park on no less than seven occasions between 1997 and 2005, including his first 500cc win in 2000.

From a British point of view, there is a lot to shout about as five home riders will line up for the race. This time it will be Cal Crutchlow, Bradley Smith, Scott Redding, Michael Laverty and Leon Camier, whereas in 1996 – the last time as many riders contested their home British Grand Prix – the names in question were those of James Haydon, Chris Walker, Eugene McManus, Jeremy McWilliams and Terry Rymer. And could Silverstone perhaps witness a local name on pole position? Only the late, great Barry Sheene has ever done that, in the 500cc Grand Prix of 1977.

Opening free practice for the 2014 Hertz British Grand Prix will start at 9:55am local time (GMT +1) on Friday, with Sunday’s race starting at 1pm local time.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Thats pretty cool
The MAPFRE Aspar Moto2 team announced today that it has selected 19-year-old Dakota Mamola—son of former 500cc Grand Prix star Randy Mamola—to ride in place of team rider Nico Terol at the upcoming Silverstone round of the Moto2 World Championship. The younger Mamola has been receiving technical support from the Aspar team during his current campaign in the Spanish CEV Moto2 championship series with the GRT Racing Team since May, and with Terol taking time off from racing to allow doctors to find out the cause of the mystery muscle fatigue that has hampered his efforts this season, Mamola was given a golden opportunity to race on the world stage. He has already ridden on many of the world's racing circuits (including Silverstone) while competing in the FIM European 600 Superstock Championship last year on a Yamaha R6 as part of the Yakhnich Motorsport team, with a best finish of 8th at Jerez. Interestingly, Mamola has been racing in the Spanish CEV series under a Belgian passport (his mother Barbara is Belgian), but when he raced in the FIM European 600 Superstock Championship, he raced under a Spanish passport (where he has done nearly all of his racing).
“First of all I would like to wish Nico a swift recovery," said Mamola in the Aspar team press release. "Thanks to him and the MAPFRE Aspar Team I have this incredible opportunity and I would also like to thank the GRT team for their support in the CEV. To compete in the World Championship is a dream come true, we didn't expect it to happen this year but this is the way it's worked out. It is going to be a completely new experience for me and it will be a good opportunity for me to learn about Moto2. It will also be a chance to build my confidence ahead of the next round of the Spanish Championship at Navarra. I am really happy, it's a great honour that the MAPFRE Aspar Team have turned to me as Nico's replacement for this race. I know that they will help me a lot, I am not under any pressure and the objective is to enjoy the experience.”
Team manager Jorge "Aspar" Martinez made a point of subverting any rumors that Terol would be replaced in his statement. “We are delighted to offer another opportunity to Dakota Mamola. At the end of May we decided to support him in the CEV and he has shown the potential that he possesses as a rider. He is progressing quickly and we are sure he will continue to do so. He can go out and enjoy Silverstone because he is not under any pressure. The idea is that he continues to build his confidence on the Moto2 bike in preparation for the final few rounds of the Spanish Championship. Whilst we are delighted to have Dakota with us in Silverstone, we want to make it clear that the MAPFRE Aspar Team's official rider is Nico Terol, who is currently in a process of recovery, and we hope that process is swift so that he can return to racing as soon as possible.”

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

In the shadow of St. Paul’s Cathedral and navigating his way across the River Thames, the British public enjoyed both the sights and sounds of MotoGP ahead of this weekend’s Hertz British Grand Prix, Round 12 of the World Championship.

The ride concluded with spectacular burnouts as fans flocked over the edges of office balconies and along the banks of the river, with Marquez then being joined by British riders Bradley Smith, Michael Laverty, Leon Camier, Sam Lowes, Danny Kent and John McPhee who introduced the Spaniard to fish and chips wrapped in newspaper.

"It was really nice to become the first ever person to cross the Millennium Bridge on a motorbike," Marquez smiled. "This event was really important for MotoGP ahead of the British Grand Prix and we were very lucky with the weather - I normally expect rain in England! So to be here in the centre of London on such a bright day, riding over the River Thames and making history was a memorable experience. The slippery metal surface of the bridge did not make it easy, but I went as fast as I could!"

Marquez continued to enjoy London on Wednesday afternoon before making his way towards Silverstone for this weekend’s action. Opening Free Practice will commence at 9:00am local time (GMT +1) on Friday with the Moto3™ riders first out on track, with Sunday’s MotoGP race beginning at 1pm.

Last edited by CBR Time; 08-27-2014 at 02:35 PM.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Rossi and Lorenzo prepare for UK action
The team arrive in confident mood after two consecutive race weekends that have seen riders Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo both feature on the podium.

Silverstone is another circuit with the potential to deliver strong results for Rossi and Lorenzo with fast sweeping corners well suited to the YZR-M1.

Rossi has long been a favourite of the British fans and is guaranteed a loud reception at the weekend. The Italian nine-time World Champion has yet to win at Silverstone but has a great record in the UK, taking three premier class MotoGP™ wins in the modern era in 2002, 2004 and 2005 at Donington Park and two 500cc victories in 2000 and 2001. He also has one 250cc victory in 1999 and one 125cc victory in 1997.

Rossi previewed the weekend ahead saying, “I really want to go to Silverstone because this is not an easy track for me. Last year, in the race, in the end I did not go bad but I think that this year I can get better. Silverstone is a great track, very fast, beautiful and for me it would be very important to be able to get a good result, especially after the last few races. We are working well, we are making small steps forward and we are getting closer to our goal. I feel good and that's why I have to be more competitive this year at Silverstone.”

Rossi’s teammate Lorenzo has the most wins of any rider in the premier class at Silverstone, taking three of the four victories since the British Grand Prix moved there from Donington Park in 2010. 2011 is the only year he has not stood on the top step so far. Lorenzo is also popular with the British crowd who remember him taking victory at Donington in 2006 in the 250cc class.

Lorenzo states, “After three consecutive podiums I feel good. In Brno we found some good solutions that surely will give us at least a tenth in the next races. I feel quite good and we are going up through the championship. We must congratulate the team for their work in the last races and especially during the last one at Brno. We're happy and confident for the next race. Silverstone is quite different to Brno. It's a long varied circuit with fast corners and strong braking points and last year we got the win there. It looks good but we need to be careful and work hard during the whole weekend and then wait also for the weather, which is always tricky there.”

Last edited by CBR Time; 08-27-2014 at 02:20 PM.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Smith: ‘This season has taught me to be patient

Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Bradley Smith has given an in-depth analysis of his season so far, as he prepares for his home race this Sunday at the Hertz British Grand Prix.

In his second season in MotoGP™ Smith has recently seen his Tech 3 contract extended for 2015 and is looking to move up the overall standings from tenth, in the remaining seven rounds.

“It has been an interesting season for me so far, and it has taught me to be patient, because in some situations, no matter what I tried to do, something would always come up,” he admits. “Also I made mistakes, and I am willing to accept that. It has not gone the way that we planned, but luckily for me everything is clear for 2015 now, so the rest of the season is pressure free for me, and I will try to find my true potential, and capitalise on all the speed I have shown through the season by bringing it on Sunday.”

With the arrival of Pol Espargaro in the Tech 3 team this year, Smith has thus far been outperformed by the Spanish rookie – who sits 13 points above him in the World Championship classification.

“The situation with Pol was always going to be clear, he was coming from winning the Moto2 championship and he was also one of the riders who could beat Marc (Marquez) in Moto2. He was extremely fast last year so I knew that when he came to Moto GP it was going to be difficult and I did expect it to take longer that it did. But already in the pre season he was riding fast, so I knew I had to expect a challenge with him. I expect this challenge to continue for the next 18 months and it will be good for the team. We will keep the rivalry friendly and we need to challenge each other.”

On his strong relationship with his team boss Herve Poncharal and those around him in the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 garage Smith states that their support has been a big help.

“Fortunately for me Herve and Yamaha believed in what I was capable of doing, they had all of the data and they created some number charts, then they found that there was no rider available that was better for the job than me, which obviously is quite an honor for me because it means that my real potential is high and they believe in that,” Smith explained.

“The second thing is that I have to try and find that at every weekend. I’m very excited that I will be going into my third season and have that secured in Moto GP, riding in a team in which I have already been riding. It will be for my fifth year (with Tech 3), with a group of guys that I have a great relationship with and with a bike, the Yamaha M1, that I have fallen in love with. I am looking forward to the rest of the season of course, but moving on from that into the future for 2015.”

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Back in the Day

Redding excited to race at Silverstone again

The 12th round of the 2014 Moto GP World Championship, the Hertz British Grand Prix, is a special event for Team GO&FUN Honda Gresini’s Scott Redding, who will be racing a Moto GP bike in front of his home crowd for the first time.

Redding, winner last year of the Moto 2 race at Silverstone, heads back to England after two strong performances. Top Open class rider in Indianapolis, Redding confirmed his good form at Brno as the fastest rider aboard the Honda RCV1000R, a goal that he will try to achieve once again in his home race.

The Gloucestershire rider of course first made the headlines early in his career in the 125 British Grand Prix of 2008, when still a school pupil, by becoming the youngest ever World Championship Grand Prix race winner at 15

years and 170 days of age. That victory was at Donington and Redding still holds the record as youngest ever GP winner courtesy of that triumph.

He commented, “Everyone always asks me if your home race is special and of course it is. It’s the only time in the season I get to race in front of my home crowd, whose support has been so important during my career in 125 and Moto2. It was incredible to stand on the top step of the podium for the first time ever at the British Grand Prix in 2008, and last year was equally special taking the win in front of a massive crowd wearing red, white and blue leathers aboard a bike with a huge union flag on the sides.”

“Coming round after the chequered flag and seeing everyone in the stands on their feet clapping and cheering was an unbelievable experience. Now I’m going to race the MotoGP bike at home for the first time, and I can’t wait. It will be a tough weekend, because Silverstone is a power track and power is something we’re down on compared to other bikes. But, like always, I’ll be pushing as hard as I can and I hope I can put in a good performance in front of my home crowd.”

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Back in the Day

Camier: ‘There’s nothing better than racing in front of home fans’

Preparing for his third Moto GP race - this time on home territory at Silverstone – Drive M7 Aspar’s substitute rider Leon Camier is buzzing ahead of the Hertz British Grand Prix.

As he continues to stand in for Nicky Hayden, who is still recovering from wrist surgery, Camier impressed with his speed at Indianapolis despite a DNF in the race and then went on to score a point in 15th at Brno.

On his MotoGP experience thus far the British rider comments, “I am really happy because we have made continual progress since I jumped on the bike and at Brno we managed to finish in the points. The aim this weekend is to work just as hard again and keep going in the same way. We had a very productive test at Brno that has helped us to close the gap to the top guys and gain a further understanding of the bike, which we need to keep moving forward. We also improved our race pace and that will be important this weekend.”

On his big weekend ahead he added, “It’s a dream come true. There’s nothing better than racing in front of the home fans, at a home track. I like Silverstone as a circuit as well so this is another good thing for me. Hopefully I can understand a little bit more from the bike by then as well and, fingers crossed, I can have a good result. It’s always been a good track for me in the past. With WSBK I’ve been on the podium, I think nearly every year I’ve been there. So it’s been good. But it’s definitely not going to be easy.”

“Silverstone is fast, technical and with a lot of direction changes, which should suit me well. I know it will be another tough weekend though so it will be important to stay focused. If we get the right setting from the bike and I can adapt to the brakes and to the tyres quick enough, I think we can be quite strong.”

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:58 PM
Back in the Day

Crutchlow on ‘character building’ year so far

Ahead of his biggest weekend of the year so far, the Hertz British Grand Prix, Cal Crutchlow has provided an in depth insight into his experiences to date in 2014.

Crutchlow’s move to Ducati Team at the end of last season has not yielded the kind of results he would have hoped for, given that he was on the podium three times in 2013 with his former team Monster Yamaha Tech 3.

Discussing the year to date he stated, “I think if you look historically at the guys riding the Ducati on their first year it has always been difficult. I think it just takes a year to get used to the bike. It’s a different situation to what I am used to. I used to be in Tech 3 where things were a lot easier to get the results, but I have never been in such a situation in my career where I have been so slow and so bad. This is life and you have some good years and you have some bad years, but I am optimistic.”

On the specifics of his difficulties with the Ducati GP14, he added, “We have one clear thing with the bike that we do not understand, and it is that we can’t get the lean angle. We are at maybe five degrees lean angle less than Andrea (Dovizioso), but more on the limit. We can see from the data that we have more risk being five degrees lean angle less. It should mean that have less risk, but I have more risk to make a crash than them, and as soon as I go one grade more I have a crash. Obviously to make the corner you need to be able to lean the bike as much as possible.”

“I spent three years trying to learn like Jorge (Lorenzo) and he is one of the fastest guys in the championship, but that was with the Yamaha. I didn’t want to go back and change a riding style that I do not believe works with every bike, I believe it works with the Ducati only, but in the end we thought we had to and I am definitely changing my style now, but it is difficult to get out from what you have been doing for years.”

Crutchlow will next year ride for CWM-LCR Honda, but starting with this weekend at Silverstone he is determined to prove his ability on the Ducati in the remainder of the current campaign.

The British rider concluded, “I believe I have taken more strength on having a bad season up until now, but we still have half a year to prove that we are better than where we are. I believe I am in the same situation that a lot of the Ducati riders have been in their first year at Ducati. So I have to continue and try 110 per cent with the Ducati guys for the rest of the season. What I can take from it is to learn to be stronger for next year. It has been definitely character building.”

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Back in the Day

Silverstone could see the first year Rookies at the front again

Silverstone will be just as tough as Brno for the teenagers of the Red Bull Moto GP Rookies Cup. The British Grand Prix venue is similar to the Czech circuit in that it is wide and open with a variety of corners offering a huge choice of lines so it takes some learning to make the best of it.

Of course the old airfield is far flatter than Brno but it is likely to repeat the unpredictable weather that was a major factor in this year's Grand Prix of the Czech Republic. Varied track conditions make it hard for the circuit newcomers to learn the circuit but in Brno, Fabio Di Giannantonio, Marc Garcia, Enzo Boulom and Bo Bendsneyder made a nonsense of that by all being in the heart of the battle for the lead through Race 2.

So looking forward to this weekend it is obvious that any of the first year Rookies could be challenging for the win as they did in Brno. Of course the men to beat are also the same; points leader Jorge MartŪn, the 16-year-old Spaniard who had his points advantage cut by a last lap crash in Brno when nearest rival and fellow countryman Joan Mir, also 16, won and slashed his lead to just 30 with five races remaining. Mir was second last year in Race 2 at Silverstone.

There are still 125 points to be won so the battle is far from over and Stefano Manzi has now moved into third place in the table, the 15-year-old Italian displaced 15-year-old Japanese Soushi Mihara who had a torrid weekend in Brno. While Mihara suffered a 7th and 13th, Manzi picked up two thirds.

As Manzi pointed out in his blog this week, "I have not bought an apartment on the third step of the podium, I intend to change but remain in the same building!" He is still looking for his first win and every weekend seems to cross the line in the lead at any time other than on the last lap.

He was a step luckier than Brad Ray though as the 17-year-old Briton was twice fourth in Brno after also having his chance in front. The home crowd advantage may be all Ray needs to take his second Rookies Cup victory, he was first in Austin's opening race last year.

Certainly don't count out Manuel Pagliani, the 18-year-old Italian has had three crashes in the last four races, one was not his fault and when he didn't fall he was second in Race 1 in Brno but on the other two occasions he fell while leading. After falling on the first lap in Brno he was furious with himself. “I just wanted to race away from pole, I was pushing, I made a mistake. I could say 'next time' but I am tired of saying, 'next time'.” He has been second three time this year, he won a single race last season yet he often looks the fastest of the field. He stands sixth in the points behind Brad Ray.

There are other class riders to look out for, 17-year-old Turk Toprak Razgatlıoğlu, the hero of Germany and Olly Simpson, the 16-year-old Australian who must at least podium before the end of the year. These are all class riders, in fact there are no fools in Rookies Cup.

post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

All Times Eastern Time
29 August 2014

Moto3FP1
04:00 - 04:40
MotoGPFP1
04:55 - 05:40
Moto2FP1
05:55 - 06:40
Moto3FP2
08:10 - 08:50
MotoGPFP2
09:05 - 09:50
Moto2FP2
10:05 - 10:50

30 August 2014

Moto3FP3
04:00 - 04:40
MotoGPFP3
04:55 - 05:40
Moto2FP3
05:55 - 06:40
Moto3QP
07:35 - 08:15
MotoGPFP4
08:30 - 09:00
MotoGPQ1
09:10 - 09:25
MotoGPQ2
09:35 - 09:50
Moto2QP
10:05 - 10:50

31 August 2014

Moto2WUP
04:00 - 04:20
MotoGPWUP
04:30 - 04:50
Moto3WUP
05:00 - 05:20
Moto2RAC
06:20
MotoGPRAC
08:00
Moto3RAC
09:30
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Back in the Day

Vale is the tallest among all

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Vale is normal, its everyone else thats short haha, if i look at him it shows me how id look in there ;) he's about 6feet i believe
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

i would like to have all those lids, just saying :)
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

just something i found, good vid on MM93
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR Time For This Useful Post:
Moeman (08-28-2014)
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

and this one as well, 10yrs old and you can see how energetic he is about racing, truly amazing when you think about how young these guys start out
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

The history of Grand Prix racing at Silverstone
The first motorcycle Grand Prix to be held at Silverstone was in 1977 and below are some facts and statistics from Grand Prix events held at the circuit:

- The Silverstone event in 1977 was the first motorcycle Grand Prix to be held on the British mainland, as prior to 1977 the British round of the World Championship had been held since 1949 on the 37.73 mile-long Isle of Man TT circuit. The move from the Isle of Man was made mainly for reasons of rider safety

- The winners at that first Grand Prix at Silverstone in 1977 were: 500cc - Pat Hennen (Suzuki), 350cc & 250cc - Kork Ballington (Yamaha), 125cc - Pierluigi Conforti (Morbidelli)

- The original circuit layout used for the Grand Prix between 1977 and 1986 was 2.93 miles-long (4.71 km) and the fastest lap at the circuit during this time was set by Kenny Roberts riding a Yamaha in 1983 at an average speed of 119.5 mph (192.2 km/h)

- The British Grand Prix was held for ten successive years at the Silverstone circuit, before the event moved to Donington Park in 1987.

- The British GP returned to Silverstone in 2010 with a revised circuit layout measuring 5.9 km

- Kork Ballington and Angel Nieto are the two riders with most GP victories at Silverstone, each having won there on six occasions

- The only rider who has had more than a single victory at Silverstone since GP racing returned to the circuit in 2010 is Jorge Lorenzo, who has won the MotoGP™ race there three times: 2010, 2012 and 2013

- In total 12 British riders have finished on the podium across all the solo classes of Grand Prix racing at Silverstone:

John Williams (1977/350cc/3rd)

Barry Sheene (1978/500cc/3rd, 1979/500cc/2nd)

Tom Herron (1978/250cc/2nd, 1978/350cc/2nd)

Steve Manship (1978/500cc/2nd)

Mick Grant (1978/350cc/3rd)

Clive Horton (1978/125cc/2nd)

Keith Huewen (1981/350cc/2nd)

Andy Watts (1984/250cc/2nd)

Ron Haslam (1984/500cc/3rd)

Ian McConnachie (1986/80cc/1st)

Bradley Smith (2010/125cc/3rd, 2011/Moto2™/2nd)

Scott Redding (2012/Moto2/2nd, 2013/Moto2/1st)

- The only British rider to have started from pole at Silverstone, across all solo GP classes, is Barry Sheene - in the 500cc race in 1977
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Back in the Day

Marquez and rivals all set for Silverstone showdown

Thursday’s preliminary press conference brought the top guns of Moto GP together to address the media at Silverstone, on the eve of the 2014 Hertz British Grand Prix.

To preview the 12th round of the season, World Champion Marc Marquez was joined by his Repsol Honda colleague Dani Pedrosa, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP pair Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo and British duo Bradley Smith (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) and Cal Crutchlow (Ducati Team).

Having visited London on Wednesday to ride his Moto GP prototype across the Millennium Bridge Marquez now turns his focus back to competition, having seen an incredible ten race winning streak come to a halt last time out at Brno.

Marquez finished fourth in the Czech Republic as Pedrosa won the race but the MotoGP title holder took a characteristically upbeat approach as he looked forward to getting back on track at Silverstone.

He said, “In the end it’s the same situation really, of course that day we couldn’t win at Brno. Maybe it was my worst race in Moto GP, but on the Monday we found a solution so it’s ok and we are positive. Silverstone is a great track and the weather looks good for this weekend.”

For his part, Czech Republic victor Pedrosa commented, “We had a great weekend in Brno, and a good test on the Monday. We had quite a good race here last year, I had to recover some gap to the front but it was good. I’m happy to be here and the weather is looking good, so hopefully we can have a strong weekend. At the beginning you have to get used to the circuit, it’s quite different. It’s very flat so you have to really watch for your reference points.”

As popular in the UK as he is throughout the world, Rossi added, “I’ve started the second half of the season well and I have enjoyed the races. Sadly it wasn’t enough to fight for the victory, we have to keep working to improve our pace until the last lap.”

“Silverstone is a very long and technical track, wide and fast, I like it. It’s very difficult to learn the lines and we haven’t had the best results here. We were better last year, but it was still not enough. This year we are better on braking so we should be able to keep improving.”

Rossi’s teammate Lorenzo has an excellent record at Silverstone having won three of the four Moto GP races at the track since Grand Prix racing returned to the venue in 2010. The Spaniard stated: “I like the circuit a lot and I have always been quite fast here. Silverstone is a good track for me and it’s nice to ride, very fluid. Now, this year everything is improving for us and in the last few weeks we have made big steps with the bike. We are trying to keep improving.”

Englishman Smith, meanwhile, knows Silverstone well having grown up in Oxfordshire, a short drive from the circuit, “I only lived 30 minutes away from the track so I am very excited to be here. Last year here was my first home Grand Prix on the MotoGP bike. We have 12 months more experience now and I’m a lot happier with the bike. I’ve had some good results in the past and we’ve had some good form after the summer break.”

Coming from Coventry, Crutchlow is also highly familiar with the track and he was in a lighthearted mood as usual. He joked “It’s not my real home GP now as Bradley is the top British rider, so he can have all the pressure!”

The Ducati man added, “We had a test this week and we found some more settings so hopefully we can get closer to the front and challenge (Andrea) Dovizioso.”

The action at the Hertz British Grand Prix gets underway on Friday at 9am local time (GMT +1), with the Moto 3 riders first out on track for free practice.

post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Q1 Results:
1 93 Marc MARQUEZ SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 318.0 2'03.208
2 29 Andrea IANNONE ITA Pramac Racing Ducati 318.7 2'03.869 0.661 / 0.661
3 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Ducati Team Ducati 316.6 2'04.052 0.844 / 0.183
4 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA GO&FUN Honda Gresini Honda 320.0 2'04.187 0.979 / 0.135
5 41 Aleix ESPARGARO SPA NGM Forward Racing Forward Yamaha 310.1 2'04.212 1.004 / 0.025
6 6 Stefan BRADL GER LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 318.8 2'04.232 1.024 / 0.020
7 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 313.6 2'04.240 1.032 / 0.008
8 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 315.4 2'04.281 1.073 / 0.041
9 68 Yonny HERNANDEZ COL Energy T.I. Pramac Racing Ducati 315.8 2'04.301 1.093 / 0.020
10 26 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 316.9 2'04.338 1.130 / 0.037
11 38 Bradley SMITH GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 317.2 2'04.609 1.401 / 0.271
12 44 Pol ESPARGARO SPA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 319.2 2'04.628 1.420 / 0.019
13 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR Ducati Team Ducati 319.4 2'05.130 1.922 / 0.502
14 45 Scott REDDING GBR GO&FUN Honda Gresini Honda 303.0 2'05.503 2.295 / 0.373
15 17 Karel ABRAHAM CZE Cardion AB Motoracing Honda 306.7 2'06.085 2.877 / 0.582
16 7 Hiroshi AOYAMA JPN Drive M7 Aspar Honda 309.4 2'06.250 3.042 / 0.165
17 15 Alex DE ANGELIS RSM NGM Forward Racing Forward Yamaha 308.6 2'06.333 3.125 / 0.083
18 9 Danilo PETRUCCI ITA Octo IodaRacing Team ART 301.5 2'07.761 4.553 / 1.428
19 2 Leon CAMIER GBR Drive M7 Aspar Honda 301.7 2'07.774 4.566 / 0.013
20 8 Hector BARBERA SPA Avintia Racing Avintia 302.0 2'08.358 5.150 / 0.584
21 63 Mike DI MEGLIO FRA Avintia Racing Avintia 301.8 2'09.056 5.848 / 0.698
22 23 Broc PARKES AUS Paul Bird Motorsport PBM 297.4 2'10.042 6.834 / 0.986
70 Michael LAVERTY GBR Paul Bird Motorsport PBM 299.0 2'11.919 8.711 / 1.877
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

And he's fastest again, by just over half a second! DP26, VR46 and JL99 way down

FP2 Results:
1MARQUEZ M.Repsol Honda Team2:02.126
2BRADL S.LCR Honda MotoGP+0.509
3DOVIZIOSO A.Ducati Team+0.885
4SMITH B.Monster Yamaha Tech 3+0.944
5HERNANDEZ Y.Energy T.I. Pramac Racing+1.201
6REDDING S.GO&FUN Honda Gresini+1.207
7IANNONE A.Pramac Racing+1.227
8BAUTISTA A.GO&FUN Honda Gresini+1.265
9PEDROSA D.Repsol Honda Team+1.284
10ESPARGARO A.NGM Forward Racing+1.342
11LORENZO J.Movistar Yamaha MotoGP+1.374
12ESPARGARO P.Monster Yamaha Tech 3+1.416
13ROSSI V.Movistar Yamaha MotoGP+1.826

Last edited by CBR Time; 08-29-2014 at 10:12 AM.
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Marquez on top again in Friday practice
Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) was fastest in the morning session too with a 2’03.208 to lead by 0.661s and he improved in the afternoon to 2’02.126, again leading the practice by more than half a second. The World Champion has a point to prove this weekend at Silverstone having not won at Brno, his first race of the year which has not resulted in victory.

Bradl (LCR Honda MotoGP) showed his FP2 pace with a 2’02.635, whilst Dovizioso (Ducati Team) put in a late best time for third – lapping 0.885s behind Marquez.

Local rider Bradley Smith (Monster Yamaha Tech3) looked good in fourth and Yonny Hernandez (Energy T.I. Pramac Racing) impressed by making it into the top five. Likewise Scott Redding (GO&FUN Honda Gresini) was well up the timesheet in sixth place, striving to please the crowd at his home GP.

Italian Andrea Iannone (Pramac Racing) and Spanish trio Alvaro Bautista (GO&FUN Honda Gresini), Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda Team) and Aleix Espargaro (NGM Forward Racing) rounded out the top ten.

Jorge Lorenzo (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) and Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) will aim to improve on Saturday after lapping 11th and 13th respectively, whilst Cal Crutchlow (Ducati Team) was down in 14th. Lorenzo (+1.374s) and Rossi (+1.826s) were well off the pace of Marquez.

Leon Camier (Drive M7 Aspar) had a crash with five minutes to go in FP2 and ended up 17th overall.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:09 PM
Back in the Day

Lorenzo and Rossi to look for improvements on Saturday

Movistar Yamaha MotoGP riders Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi were back on track in Great Britain on Friday as the first free practice sessions got underway, ahead of Sunday’s Silverstone race.

The sessions proved to be challenging for both riders due to chatter, preventing them from finding an optimum set up. Lorenzo ended the day 11th overall in the combined times with a best lap of 2’03.500.

He said, “We have no grip to stop the bike, no grip in the middle of the corner and no traction so we have a lot of spinning and the negative point is it creates problems on the front. No grip on the rear doesn't give us the balance in the middle of the corner which means we have to lean less and have lower speed.”

Teammate Rossi wrapped up the afternoon 13th in the combined times with a best lap of 2’03.952.

“We expected to be faster and more competitive but we are struggling a lot,” he commented. “This morning first practice was not fantastic but also not so bad, I was not so far from the other guys but I didn't like the feeling on the bike on the front. For the afternoon we worked a lot on the setting and on the weight distribution to help on the corners but it looks like we took the wrong direction. We will continue to modify the bike in another way and we will take some data for tomorrow to try something completely different to understand if we can go faster.”

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Back in the Day

Bradl second fastest on opening day

LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl finished second on the opening day of practice at the Hertz British Grand Prix.

Free Practice 1 saw Bradl in sixth, ahead of Movistar Yamaha MotoGP pair Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi. The LCR rider was the second Honda in the session as Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) returned to dominating form. 1.024s separated Bradl from the reigning MotoGP™ World Champion.

The German rider was within half a second of Marc Marquez in Free Practice 2, a session that saw many of the Factory riders struggle to put in a quick time. Bradl halved the gap to Marquez at the front and was 0.3s ahead of Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team), who was third. Repsol Honda rider Dani Pedrosa was in ninth and 0.8s behind the LCR rider.

“Today was a good day for us, we kept some tyres for the weekend and this afternoon I made a good lap time. I’m happy but for sure we have to improve on used tyres, we have to work as the traction is lacking and we are struggling a little on them,” commented Bradl.

post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Back in the Day

Smith starts home GP weekend as top Briton

The Hertz British Grand Prix saw Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider Bradley Smith finish as the top Briton and fastest Yamaha rider on Friday.

Free Practice 1 had Smith in 11th place, just ahead of teammate Pol Espargaro. His lap time of 2’04.609s was 1.401s from Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda), who led the session.

Smith improved by over a second and a half, down to a 2’03.070s in Free Practice 2 to finish fourth.

“It was a positive first day and I'm very happy to kick off my home Grand Prix in this manner. I feel happier and more confident than I did 12 months ago and here the bike is working great. The grip is good with the tyres. We haven't changed too many settings since Brno, just a few minor alterations to compensate for this track as well as the wind here which is particularly strong at the rear of the circuit,” he said.

“We need to improve in the fast corners where there are a few more bumps this year, so we will work on trying to find the setting to run smoothly over these. The next step is to get a good rhythm and then run 2'02 lap times. So all in all I am very happy. I must say that it is fantastic to see so many fans here especially as it was a Friday, so the support I received has been great and really helps me!"

post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Back in the Day

Redding ahead of several Factory riders

GO&FUN Honda Gresini rider Scott Redding turned heads at the Hertz British Grand Prix on Friday as he put his Open class Honda machine in sixth.

Redding has had previous success at Silverstone, taking a very popular win in Moto2™ last year. His good form carried on as he finished as the top Open Honda rider with a 2’03.333s, leaving him 1.207s behind Friday leader Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda).

Yonny Hernandez (Energy T.I. Pramac Racing) was just 0.006s ahead of Redding to clinch the top Open spot. Redding’s performance was still impressive, seeing him ahead of teammate Alvaro Bautista and Repsol Honda rider Dani Pedrosa, who was down in ninth.

Redding was 1.4s ahead of the second Open class Honda of Hiroshi Aoyama (Drive M7 Aspar).

He said, “This morning I was struggling a little bit, but then this afternoon I felt really comfortable with the bike and with the circuit, I got a good rhythm and I started to enjoy riding. I didn’t expect to be so fast today, so I’m happy with the job we’ve done so far.”

“I got a really good result today, so the target for tomorrow is to get into the Q2 session, but I’m not sure if we can make it, if the temperature is coming up. Anyway, I will keep pushing and pushing!” he added.

post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

FP3 Results, yes yes MM93 P1 lol; glad to see Vale up to P4. MM93 took a low side, is ok
1 93 Marc MARQUEZ SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 322.5 2'01.906
2 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Ducati Team Ducati 322.9 2'01.940 0.034 / 0.034
3 26 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 323.4 2'02.116 0.210 / 0.176
4 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 319.5 2'02.243 0.337 / 0.127
5 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Yamaha 320.5 2'02.359 0.453 / 0.116
6 44 Pol ESPARGARO SPA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 324.9 2'02.368 0.462 / 0.009
7 6 Stefan BRADL GER LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 324.5 2'02.564 0.658 / 0.196
8 38 Bradley SMITH GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 323.6 2'02.605 0.699 / 0.041
9 29 Andrea IANNONE ITA Pramac Racing Ducati 323.7 2'02.726 0.820 / 0.121
10 41 Aleix ESPARGARO SPA NGM Forward Racing Forward Yamaha 313.7 2'02.886 0.980 / 0.160
11 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA GO&FUN Honda Gresini Honda 322.5 2'02.912 1.006 / 0.026
12 68 Yonny HERNANDEZ COL Energy T.I. Pramac Racing Ducati 320.3 2'02.912 1.006
13 45 Scott REDDING GBR GO&FUN Honda Gresini Honda 307.3 2'03.368 1.462 / 0.456
14 17 Karel ABRAHAM CZE Cardion AB Motoracing Honda 310.7 2'03.845 1.939 / 0.477
15 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR Ducati Team Ducati 321.2 2'04.319 2.413 / 0.474
16 7 Hiroshi AOYAMA JPN Drive M7 Aspar Honda 314.5 2'04.350 2.444 / 0.031
17 15 Alex DE ANGELIS RSM NGM Forward Racing Forward Yamaha 316.1 2'04.655 2.749 / 0.305
18 2 Leon CAMIER GBR Drive M7 Aspar Honda 305.3 2'04.735 2.829 / 0.080
19 70 Michael LAVERTY GBR Paul Bird Motorsport PBM 305.4 2'05.732 3.826 / 0.997
20 9 Danilo PETRUCCI ITA Octo IodaRacing Team ART 302.3 2'06.021 4.115 / 0.289
21 8 Hector BARBERA SPA Avintia Racing Avintia 306.2 2'06.053 4.147 / 0.032
22 63 Mike DI MEGLIO FRA Avintia Racing Avintia 300.3 2'06.909 5.003 / 0.856
23 23 Broc PARKES AUS Paul Bird Motorsport PBM 301.0 2'07.648 5.742 / 0.739

Last edited by CBR Time; 08-30-2014 at 09:06 AM.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

P4 just finished, MM93 completes the sweep :) top 5
MM
AD
DP
VR
AI
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Q1 Results: new SC would be in P1
Po. Name TeamGap First
1REDDING S.GO&FUN Honda Gresini2:02.639
2BAUTISTA A.GO&FUN Honda Gresini+0.060
3HERNANDEZ Y.Energy T.I. Pramac Racing+0.407
4ABRAHAM K.Cardion AB Motoracing+0.567
5CRUTCHLOW C.Ducati Team+0.768
6AOYAMA H.Drive M7 Aspar+0.924
7DE ANGELIS A.NGM Forward Racing+1.047
8CAMIER L.Drive M7 Aspar+1.057
9PETRUCCI D.Octo IodaRacing Team+2.116
10LAVERTY M.Paul Bird Motorsport+2.197
11BARBERA H.Avintia Racing+2.318
12DI MEGLIO M.Avintia Racing+2.812
13PARKES B.Paul Bird Motorsport+3.467
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page