AMA @ Barber (semi-spoiler) - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool AMA @ Barber (semi-spoiler)

Yes I am a homer, but that was the best racing that I have ever seen LIVE this weekend @ Barber's. It was REALLY good not to see Mladin and "the rest of them" for a change in Superbike. IMHO, Spies used to THINK that he could run with MM, know he KNOWS that he can run with him. This will definitely be the race for the championship. Behind them, the Hondas are finally back from their self-imposed exile and Miguel was in classic form at the finish line with Mladin in today's race. If Jake can avoid crashing (both himself and around himself) he should be racing for the podium weekly. The Kawasaki's are competitive right out of the box. Tommy had a podium wrapped up before Yates gave him the "Steve Uerkel" treatment (did I do that???). Roger Lee is gping to maim himself if he isn't careful (he needs to be a little more patient and realize that somedays you just don't have it (admire his fight though). The Ducs are fish out of water in AMA (their bikes needs the flowing courses of Europe versus the point and shoots in the US). Well I for one am exhausted (the truck's thermometer said 93 degrees?!?!

:icon_spid
"With great power, comes great responsibility"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 02:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

yeah the races were awesome, and Rog has gotta be kicking himself especially with Nicky and big Earl there to watch, Tommy did great though.

Oh yeah so now 2 out of 3 superbike races have had a delayed start due to CRASHING ON A WARM-UP LAP!!! wtf? I know they're going at a moderate pace to get heat in the tires but damn, especially the one today, it was halfway through the track!

Oh and anybody got word on Picotte or Roger? I saw both of them go down today, and both crashes looked painful.

Mladin definitely had a crappy weekend (not as bad as Rog obviously but...), Spies on the other hand had an awesome weekend and actually has a shot at the championship.

I was glad to see Josh Hayes fighting hard in FX, although I was really hoping he would get a win

hotrod: did you do the paddock thing? I swear I spend more time in the pits than I do watching the races. Got to meet 4 freakin Haydens, Jordan, Rapp, Pridmore, some Jordan Suzuki crew members, most of the privateers, and some others (my memory is gone, its late and it was a long day)

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 02:31 AM
crotch_rocket_pilot

Im going to the race next week, cant wait. It will be only my third race to see in person. I went to Daytona and Mid-Ohio last year.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Update on Roger Lee from Barber's

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=25561

Medical Update From Barber
Apr 23, 2006
Copyright 2006, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

Kawasaki’s Roger Hayden has been transported to the University of Alabama – Birmingham Medical center with an injury to his lower right leg. The full extent of the injury was still be evaluated, according to Hayden’s Crew Chief Dan Fahie.

Hayden suffered the injury in a crash during Sunday’s AMA Superbike race at Barber Motorsports Park. Hayden was chasing fourth-place Aaron Yates on lap 21 when Hayden made contact with lapped rider James Kerker going over the blind, cresting kink at turn three. According to reports from cornerworkers, Hayden’s and Kerker’s motorcycles appeared to be locked together, and both riders rode off the track at high speed and impacted Airfence and tires in front of an Armco barrier.

Both riders appeared to be injured and were loaded into ambulances. Kerker was treated and released from a local hospital, according to AMA Superbike Media Relations Manager Larry Lawrence. Hayden suffered a hairline fracture to his right foot/ankle in his crash during the AMA Superbike at Daytona International Speedway in March.

Pascal Picotte crashed during Sunday morning AMA Supersport practice at Barber and suffered multiple injuries. According to his Crew Chief John Sharrard, Picotte suffered a broken left big toe, a sprain left knee and three cracked lumbar vertebrae. Picotte will be required to wear a brace, for which he has already been fitted, for the next six weeks. Sharrard did not know if Picotte would try to race at the Parts Canada Superbike series opener at Shannonville May 18-21.

Corona Extra Suzuki’s Michael Sanchez crashed on the warm-up lap of Sunday’s AMA Superbike race restart, causing the restart to be aborted. According to Sanchez’s brother Gabe, Sanchez’s throttle stuck open going into turn six, causing the crash. Michael Sanchez suffered a broken left collarbone in the fall.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce101t
yeah the races were awesome, and Rog has gotta be kicking himself especially with Nicky and big Earl there to watch, Tommy did great though.

Oh yeah so now 2 out of 3 superbike races have had a delayed start due to CRASHING ON A WARM-UP LAP!!! wtf? I know they're going at a moderate pace to get heat in the tires but damn, especially the one today, it was halfway through the track!

Oh and anybody got word on Picotte or Roger? I saw both of them go down today, and both crashes looked painful.

Mladin definitely had a crappy weekend (not as bad as Rog obviously but...), Spies on the other hand had an awesome weekend and actually has a shot at the championship.

I was glad to see Josh Hayes fighting hard in FX, although I was really hoping he would get a win

hotrod: did you do the paddock thing? I swear I spend more time in the pits than I do watching the races. Got to meet 4 freakin Haydens, Jordan, Rapp, Pridmore, some Jordan Suzuki crew members, most of the privateers, and some others (my memory is gone, its late and it was a long day)
Since I live right here in Birmingham, I have gone to every AMA race @ Barbers. And every year I have had paddock passes. Last year I copped some VIP passes from a vp @ work and chilled in the tower (think skybox). I tell ya, if you can afford it that is the way to go. All you can eat/drink all day long, closed circuit televisions and you can walk right down to the paddock or winner's circle whenever you want. Well we were poor this year so we posted up on the back straight as usual and were too lazy to walk over on Sunday. Missed meeting Nicky! shoot!!! :sad11:

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

yeah man the "tower" is awesome, I've been in there a few times during trackdays and it is incredible, I can't even imagine watching the races from there. I've been trying to get Jordan Suzuki to get me a VIP pass but haven't quite gotten it yet, hopin for one for Miller but probably won't get it.

one question hotrod7: can you see turn 5 from the back straight area? Thats the only reason I would sit there but for some reason I didn't think you could.

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page