GREAT Hayden Article - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
GREAT Hayden Article

I pulled this out of another post and thought it would be a good read for the board. I think more people will get to read it if it's not embedded in another thread.

It's about Hayden and how he's not riding the bike he wants for MotoGP, but helping the HRC big wigs...

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/motogp/moto/24313/

Thanks to AtlasRR for the link!

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
reposto dude! :D

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
OH CRAP, REALLY!? Oh well...

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 02:42 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12
OH CRAP, REALLY!? Oh well...
I hadn't read it so I am glad you reposted it, I thought is was interesting.

THE SECRET TO LIFE, ARE THE CHOICES WE MAKE!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 01:13 PM

Say what you want about Nicky, he is a TEAM PLAYER, a good guy and a hard worker. He wants to win and win badly.

He beat Pedrosa this weekend in fine fashion. Came up from 7th to 3rd and almost had second. He finished less than a second behind Capirossi in Mugello on a track that is "home" to Loris and Valentino. Remember, Rossi finished 3rd to Hayden and Edwards at Laguna Seca, their "home" track.

He's still tied for first place in points on a bike that Honda admits is a "test" bike. Hayden never got to know the European tracks on a 125 or 250 like most of the European riders have.

And he's doing VERY WELL!

I'm freakin PROUD of Nicky and what he is accomplishing. He has a good shot at winning the title. He's now starting to show he can hang at the top tier pace for an entire race (something he wasn't able to do last year or the year before when he often faded at the end.

Wave your American Flags.
Support Nicky, Colin, Hopper and Junior.
Let's get MORE MotoGP races in the USA!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 01:33 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Let's get MORE MotoGP races in the USA!
Yea why the hell does Spain get 3 races? Its not like you have to jump time zones to get to the races in Spain. I would love an East Coast MotoGP race. Watkins Glen, VIR maybe. Problem I see is that the Euro establishment will complain that they actually have to ROAD race instead of circut race. Look at Melandri complaining about safety of Laguna. Laguna is a perfectly safe track, but because it doesnt meet the almighty European vision of an almost flat track with familier turns from other tracks, its not "safe."

All these new tracks around the world are simple flat layouts with turns from other famous tracks. No real elevation changes or off camber stuff. I can see have a few races like that, but alot of the new tracks out there stink bad. Take Qatar for instance. Even before they had actually riden Qatar, all the racers had already riden it. It was nothing more than a bunch of corners from other tracks linked together. Not too hard to learn if you know how to ride the corners that its based on.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 01:56 PM

The problem is we don't have any F1 tracks out here with very large runoff areas. Laguna had to make millions in upgrades (with lots of cash donated by Yamaha).

Laguna is a smaller track than the European tracks (thus the 30+ laps as compared to typical 22-25 laps in Europe).

The cost to build a comparable track in the US to Europe is astronomical and given MotoGP isn't as popular here as it is in Europe means there's no ROI value.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 03:40 PM
World Superbike Racer

There were 150,000 people at the USGP last year. This year's Chinese GP drew like 32,000 people. So I dont see the comparo in that. Everyone was talking about the poor draw of the USGP last year and the track was overwhelmed at how many people were there.

I dont buy that whole we need F1 sized run off. I think its a cop out to make something that is inherently dangerous alot less dangerous. I dont think that racing should be deadly dangerous, but it is racing and there is an inherent level of danger involved. Thats part of the sport and part of the game. To remove the danger takes away part of the challenge and the sport to me. Again, I dont think that the British GP should be held at the Isle of Mann. Kenny Roberts did the right thing in saying that he wont race there for points even if it costs him the championship, because the Isle of Mann is indeed overly dangerous. But VIR, Laguna, Watkins Glen, Infineon Raceway are all perfectly safe for motorcycles and MotoGP. Its not like running at Limerock, which doesnt even allow bike to race because of the danger. I think that alot of the new guys coming up have been spoiled by these super safe tracks. They dont need 90,000 ft of run-off room, but if they had it, they would complain and ask for 90,001 ft. Shut up and race, the track is perfectly fine. Part of the challenge of racing is that you may NOT be able to use all the power of your bike. You may only be able to open half throttle. You have to learn to use the bike and the power best suited for each particular track. Thats racing. Racing is not WOT, brake/downshift, lean, and repeat.

To me its like stepping into the batter's box against a guy that thrown 100MPH fast ball. Chances are that you wont get hit, but then again, the ball can slip and you can indeed get plunked in the head of somewhere else. Its not like cricket where the point is to hit the guy, but its still a possibility of it happening.

I think the problem is that Dorna has it in their head that in order to be the best you have to be the most technologically advanced and the fastest thing out there. Thats not true. Fast + technologically advanced does not always make for the best racing. Hell look at F1. Its a freakin parade of billion dollar cars where almost all the passing is done in the pits. Its boring. Id rather watch cars go in circles for 3 hours at a time than watch F1.

And I think its that circut vs road racing. Most of the tracks on the GP circut are now circut races, not road races.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 01:04 AM

Maybe so, but I think Laguna drew so many people last year because of the absence of Premiere Class racing in the US for many years. I think the advertising was great.

But realistically if you compare MotoGP in the US to say, NASCAR, it's not even close.....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Moto GP Racer

too many years of redneck roundy-round racing brainwashed the general public i suppose.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OveRReV
too many years of redneck roundy-round racing brainwashed the general public i suppose.
I think the "soap operas" that go on behind the scenes at NASCAR is what keeps people glued. I can't imagine sitting there for so long staring at cars going around in a circle. Bores me to tears beyond end.

NASCAR has a lot of "personalities" and people always want the story behind them. We'd need about 15 "Biaggi's" in MotoGP fighting back and forth, them out partying and causing problems or womanizing for America to take notice.

Forget professional, skilled racers with good hearts and personalities. America would never go for that.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

ah much like professional wrestling, hmmmmmm why didn't DORNA think of this? maybe they should change the name a bit to suit the USGP like MotoGP EXTREME or something. let them say some catchy lines like "i will lay the smackdown on Rossi this coming race" or "this race is in the bag b'coz i am a GP GOD!!!" & other trash talk like that. hahaha. :D

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels

Last edited by OveRReV; 06-09-2006 at 11:10 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I agree with Silver Surfer... Moto GP is a drop in the bucket in North America. BDiddy, I hear you bro, yes Laguna was packed but 150,000 people isn't that big a deal and of course, the venue will attract enthusiasts. I wonder how many watched on TV where the big bucks are at? Nascar probably sells more Jeff Gordon hats alone than the revenue that was generated from Laguna.

The track is my crack.......................... lucky 7 - ra7or racing
"When I arrive at di front.... big fight" Rossi

RIP Phatstud......... You will be missed.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Oh yeah, regarding Nicky... Hell yeah the kid has skills and I hope he can pull something off this year.

One of my colleagues at Honda Canada is a huge race fan. Case in point, he travelled last year to Portugal and this year to Qatar for no other reason than to watch the races live. Cool thing for him is that he knows the Repsol people quite well and is well taken care of whenever he goes to a race.

Anyhow, Bill has been doing this kind of thing for years and has been following Nicky (actually all three Haydens over the years) come up through the AMA and now GP.
He has quite a few shots with Nicky, autographed memorabillia etc at his desk.

Anyway, to make a long story short, Bill knows Earl (had dinner with him in Qatar actually) and the content of that article was basically exactly what Bill told me about Nicky. The Haydens are down to earth people, modest and hard working. Behind closed doors, Nicky has apparantly made his desire to have a more competitive bike known to the HRC brass but when he gets on a mic, he bleeds red and rides red through and through. Bill told me that Earl actually called all three of his boys and warned them that if they ever conducted themselves like Hopper did after his bike failed (coincidentally, please see Overrevs sig) he'd bust their asses... LOL Although I understand Hoppers frustration with the Zuke, his actions were VERY disrespectful to the Japanese.

HRC respects Hayden and their is honour in him developing the RCV for Honda. With that being said, I sincerely hope Hayden wins it this year. The kid deserves it.

The track is my crack.......................... lucky 7 - ra7or racing
"When I arrive at di front.... big fight" Rossi

RIP Phatstud......... You will be missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page