The Kentucky kid moves on - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
The Kentucky kid moves on

Nicky Hayden announces WorldSBK move

After 13 years in the MotoGP™ World Championship, the Kentucky Kid prepares for a new adventure.

On the eve of the Motul Grand Prix of Japan, Nicky Hayden announced that he would be leaving the MotoGP™ World Championship and racing for the Ten Kate Honda team in World Superbikes in 2016. The American joined the premier class in 2003 and scored two podiums in his debut season, his first coming at Motegi.

Multiple years of success with the Repsol Honda team followed, his 2006 World Championship a highlight alongside twice taking victory at Laguna Seca in front of his home fans. After several years with Ducati, Hayden returned to the Honda family with the Aspar MotoGP Team in the Open class.

For 2016 Hayden will be teammates to Michael van der Mark, riding the CBR1000RR Fireblade SP as the America battles to becomes the first rider to win both the MotoGP™ and World Superbike titles.

Nicky Hayden: “Well this will be my last year in MotoGP as I’ll be moving to World Superbike next year with Honda and the Ten Kate team. That’s about all there is to it, not a lot more and nothing too dramatic! These last two years have been not so good and I wasn’t in a position to get the result to keep a high level bike in MotoGP. I’ve always thought SBK might be something I want to try, I liked the racing there, the opportunity felt like a good fit.”

“I’m getting a bit older but I still enjoy the sport and the game. It’ll be a fresh challenge and a new opportunity to go there and have some more fun. Of course I’ll miss MotoGP and I’ve had a great opportunity here and been part of some great teams and worked with some great people but nothing lasts forever and we gotta keep moving, go to SBK with Honda and hopefully have some fun.”

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Last edited by Moeman; 10-08-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:07 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I approve.

As much as I liked seeing him in the "big" series I think his time has come and gone. Nothing more than that, you have to know when to make a change and I think he should have two years ago.

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Oh hell yeah.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:34 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Agree he should've made this move years ago.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Qap
Knee Dragger

Agreed, right on.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 03:47 PM
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Thanked 1,043 Times in 921 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Wish him nothing but podiums!! :) I'm sure he will miss the motogp "Family"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:15 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

It sucks he didn't have more success in motoGP, but I can't wait to see him in wsbk!

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Wei
Training Wheel Hero

Honda needs to update the aging CBR1K in order to compete in WSBK, otherwise he has no chance.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:48 PM
05/16 BOTM Winner / Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei View Post
Honda needs to update the aging CBR1K in order to compete in WSBK, otherwise he has no chance.
I agree. If Nicky only plans on 2 years in wsbk, then they'll be wasted on the 1000rr sp.

Unless, maybe Honda made a commitment to get him a new bike. Which probably wouldn't be till 2017. So maybe only 1 year wasted, while getting used to the series.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
It sucks he didn't have more success in motoGP!
I guess that championship didn't count?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei View Post
I don't know anything about SBK but can't Honda use the RC-213V now?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
I guess that championship didn't count?
I didn't say he didn't have any, I just wanted more. More 1st places, more podiums, more championships. More of everything except crashing and loosing.

I don't think the rc213v sold in enough numbers to be usable AF4iK

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
The Following User Says Thank You to bored&stroked For This Useful Post:
AF4iK (10-09-2015)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:31 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
I didn't say he didn't have any, I just wanted more. More 1st places, more podiums, more championships. More of everything except crashing and loosing.

I don't think the rc213v sold in enough numbers to be usable AF4iK
Crashing wasn't his hang up, being slow was.

He did fine for a while, got a championship but from there the competition moved forward while he didn't. Plain and simple.

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
To be fair, he didn't have the luxury of returning to a good ride after the Ducati years like Valentino did. Riding a satellite Honda just isn't competitive. I don't think Hayden would have achieved the same results as Rossi, if he'd gotten a similar ride, but it would have been nice to find out, instead of going to a satellite team.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:02 PM
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Thanked 1,043 Times in 921 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Hayden: "I have really enjoyed my time in MotoGP"
Nicky Hayden talks about leaving MotoGP™ and switching to WorldSBK, looking back on some of his fondest memories...
With a lump in his throat and a tear in his eye, Nicky Hayden announced in MotoGP press conference that he would be leaving the series at the end of the 2015 season and switching to World Superbikes. It was an emotional press room at Motegi, where the fifteenth round of the current season is taking place this weekend. The Power Electronics Aspar Team rider shared the stage with the sport's top riders, including Valentino Rossi, who he pipped to the title in 2006.

It was a special moment for Hayden, thirteen years on from the day he arrived at motorcycle racing's top table as the AMA Superbike Champion. The American has flown his country's flag proudly for over a decade in MotoGP and now he will take it to World Superbikes to start a new challenge alongside Honda, the factory with whom he enjoyed his greatest success.

Best memories…

No doubt, the best memory of my MotoGP career is winning the title in 2006. Winning my home GP twice [in 2005 and 2006] at Laguna Seca was incredible but nothing compares to the feeling of being World Champion. I believed in my chances, fought hard to the end and it was my season.

The future…

I have been very fortunate in MotoGP, I have been lucky enough to have a long and successful career, competing for major factories and in the biggest teams. Now I have the opportunity to keep my connection with Honda and take on a new challenge. I am really motivated to head to Superbikes, which is where I came from and where everything started for me. Hopefully I can adapt quickly and enjoy myself.

Objectives…

It is too soon to talk about the future but my ultimate objective is to go to World Superbikes and win the title, to become the first rider ever to win both the MotoGP and World Superbike Championships. Anyway, let's not get carried away. First of all I need to get there and see how competitive I can be. The first season won't be easy, I will have to adapt, but I hope to be fighting at the front in 2017.

A fond farewell…

Yes, I want to thank everybody for the affection they have shown me. I have really enjoyed my time in MotoGP, I have had thirteen excellent years here and I achieved my dream of becoming World Champion. I would have liked to have won more races and been more successful but I put a star on my bike, competing at a very high level. This is a great paddock, full of excellent people, and I am lucky to have made a lot of friends here. MotoGP is in great shape right now, the championship is very competitive, the circuits are getting safer and the bikes are evolving. I think Dorna are doing a great job and thanks to them our sport is more popular and exciting than it ever has been. I am looking forward to seeing how the 2015 season finishes. I want to say thanks to all the fans who have followed me over the years and also thank all the teams I have worked with.

The last American…

I feel very proud of my background and of my success. It is a big thing to be the last American in MotoGP, I am passionate about motorcycles and that is a big part of why I have been around for so long. I have had factory contracts in the past and I have been able to make a good living. I could be at home with my feet up but I am still here, giving it my best shot every weekend. I love the sport, I love the fans and above all I love racing. I had the opportunity to take a role as a test rider but my objective was to keep racing.

Superbikes…

New challenges, new circuits, new rivals, new tyres... It is a long time since I raced a Superbike but I remember it and I guess that should make it easy to switch back. There is a lot to learn but that is a big motivation. I hope to have fun and achieve great results.
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR Time For This Useful Post:
Moeman (10-10-2015)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:38 AM
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015

Thanked 1,266 Times in 1,146 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Best of luck to 69 in WSBK

It was great being there live in Laguna Seca MotoGP for his wins

YouTube Channel

----------------------------------------------------------------
kali_cbr600rr - build/progress (2007 blue/silver)
kali_cbr600rr - GoPro/Video adventures

4 sale: A Lot Of Stuff - Look at the "For Sale" section!!!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:46 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
At the Valencia race, NH69 will be inducted into the MotoGP Hall of Fame as a MotoGP Legend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page