Moto GP 2016 Round 3 COTA ***SPOILER*** - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Thanked 1,043 Times in 921 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Moto GP 2016 Round 3 COTA ***SPOILER***

What a circus of events we saw in Argentina, Tire drama at it's finest..
Very close call for Scott Redding! glad he was ok, could have been much worse! Marc looking very strong esp on his second bike, the Ducs both going down wow just wow... Vale and Dani lucky to get on the podium, will we see another MM vs VR battle? Jorge will be strong i'm sure esp after zero points.. No doubt Marc is a fav here, the guy hasn't lost at this track ever lol. Love the back to back races, should be good!!!

About the circuit
The Circuit Of The Americas is the first purpose-built Grand Prix facility in the U.S. near Austin, Texas, with a 5.513km track and a capacity for 120,000 fans. Construction of the impressive 1000-acre facility was completed late in 2012, with MotoGP lining up at the track for the first time in 2013. One of its more distinctive features is near 41m-elevation change with an impressive incline at the end of the home-straight followed by a sharp left. The circuit is one of the most varied on the GP circuit, with a mix of fast straights and tight hairpins, with most sections mirroring at least some part of a famous track around the world. It was designed by well-known German architect and circuit designer Hermann Tilke. The driving direction is counter clockwise and has a total of 20 corners with 9 right turns and 11 left turns.

2015 Podium: MM,AD,VR

Circuit Records
Fastest Lap 2015 Marc MARQUEZ 2'02.135
Circuit Record 2014 Marc MARQUEZ 2'03.575
Best Pole 2015 Marc MARQUEZ 2'02.135
Top Speed 2015 Hiroshi AOYAMA
AB Motoracing Speed 344.2

Current Points
1 Marc MARQUEZ Honda SPA 41
2 Valentino ROSSI Yamaha ITA 33
3 Dani PEDROSA Honda SPA 27
4 Jorge LORENZO Yamaha SPA 25
5 Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati ITA 23
6 Pol ESPARGARO Yamaha SPA 19
7 Hector BARBERA Ducati SPA 18
8 Eugene LAVERTY Ducati IRL 17
9 Bradley SMITH Yamaha GBR 16
10 Maverick VIÑALES Suzuki SPA 10
11 Aleix ESPARGARO Suzuki SPA 10
12 Alvaro BAUTISTA Aprilia SPA 9
13 Stefan BRADL Aprilia GER 9
14 Tito RABAT Honda SPA 8
15 Scott REDDING Ducati GBR 6
16 Michele PIRRO Ducati ITA 4
17 Jack MILLER Honda AUS 2
18 Andrea IANNONE ITA
19 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR
20 Loris BAZ FRA
21 Yonny HERNANDEZ COL

Last edited by CBR Time; 04-05-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

The elevation changes though... gotta love it
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Schedule , All Times are Eastern Standard Time

Press Conf Thurs Apr 7 1300
Practice , Friday Apr 8

1000-1040 Moto 3 FP1
1055-1140 Moto GP FP1
1155-1240 Moto 2 FP1
1410-1450 Moto 3 FP2
1505-1550 Moto GP FP2
1605-1650 Moto 2 FP2

Practice/Qual , Sat Apr 9
1000-1040 Moto 3 FP3
1055-1140 Moto GP FP3
1155-1240 Moto 2 FP3
1335-1415 Moto 3 QP
1430-1500 Moto GP FP4
1510-1525 Moto GP Q1
1535-1550 Moto GP Q2
1605-1650 Moto 2 QP

Sun Apr 10 RACE
0940-1000 Moto 3 WUP
1010-1030 Moto 2 WUP
1040-1100 Moto GP WUP
1200 Moto 3 RACE
1320 Moto 2 RACE
1500 Moto GP RACE

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Ducati on JL99
MotoGP: Ducati: No secret Marquez, Lorenzo out of contract… 5 April 2016
“Everyone is talking like we have already made our decision and signed a contract but this is not the case” – Paolo Ciabatti, Ducati.
Rumours that MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo could move from Yamaha to Ducati next season ramped up a level in Argentina.

Indeed, some say a deal has already been done.

But speaking in the paddock on Sunday evening, Ducati Corse Sporting Director Paolo Ciabatti insisted it was too early to decide on the team's 2017 riders - while admitting 'everyone is talking' and pointing out that Lorenzo is not the only MotoGP champion still available...

“We make no secret about knowing that both Marquez and Lorenzo have contracts that expire at the end of this season,” Ciabatti stated. “We have been looking into the possibilities and talking to our riders. Other teams are also talking to our riders. It's quite normal at the moment. Obviously we wouldn't be doing our job properly if we didn't look into the possibilities.

“This doesn't mean there is any contract signed. Everyone is talking like we have already made our decision and signed a contract but this is not the case. It's still a little early. Not early to discuss, but early to decide. We are not in a super hurry. It's only the second race. Let's say that exploring the possibilities.”

Andrea Dovizioso and Andrea Iannone have formed the Ducati line-up for the past two seasons, each claiming podiums and poles although the factory's win drought dating back to 2010 continues.

Ducati were on the verge of a double podium in Sunday's race, only for Iannone to fall while trying to snatch second from his team-mate at the penultimate turn, wiping them both out.

“We are happy with the performance of our two riders even if we would like them not to try too hard if there is not at least a clear possibility to pass,” Ciabatti said.

Dovizioso has said his future will be decided by results, while Iannone is rumoured to have received an offer from Suzuki.

Lorenzo already has an offer on the table to stay at Yamaha but, unlike team-mate Valentino Rossi, is yet to accept.

Suzuki's Maverick Vinales is thought to be Yamaha's main target should Lorenzo leave. Repsol Honda are also likely to be interested in the impressive young Spaniard, who fell from a podium place late in Sunday's race..
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

MotoGP Americas: Marquez out to defend perfect record in USA 5 April 2016
'It's a track that I like, where I feel strong, and where I've always had good races and good fun' - Marc Marquez.

Marc Marquez is aiming to maintain his unblemished MotoGP record in America as the Repsol Honda rider bids for a fourth successive premier class win in Austin, Texas this weekend.

Marquez was victorious in the incident-strewn Argentina round and moved to the top of the championship standings ahead of Yamaha's Valentino Rossi and has an excellent chance to enhance his position on Sunday at the Circuit of the Americas, where he has scaled the top step each year since 2013.

The 23-year-old has also started all three races in Texas from pole and is unbeaten on America soil since he moved up to MotoGP, clinching three victories at Indianapolis and one at Laguna Seca.

However, Marquez has sounded a note of caution as he weighs up his prospects, pointing out that his current lack of acceleration with the factory RC213V could prove a significant disadvantage this weekend.

“We'll see how we manage in Austin this year. It's a track that I like, where I feel strong, and where I've always had good races and good fun,” he said.

“That said, the track rewards strong acceleration, which hasn't been one of our strongest points so far this year, so we'll have to wait and see how we can manage the situation.

“We'll keep working hard, as we did in Argentina, and we'll try to find the best pace for the Sunday race.”
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:18 PM
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015

Thanked 1,266 Times in 1,146 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
if you look very very closely in the first post, the birds eye view pic, you can see TheX's shiny head

hopefully these stupid tire problems, and bike problems go away so we can get some awesome racing from start to end!!!

YouTube Channel

----------------------------------------------------------------
kali_cbr600rr - build/progress (2007 blue/silver)
kali_cbr600rr - GoPro/Video adventures

4 sale: A Lot Of Stuff - Look at the "For Sale" section!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kali_cbr600rr For This Useful Post:
shinfo (04-08-2016)
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

LOL, well I guess there are BIG time issues with guys getting out of Argentina (Planes cancelled, 20hr+ bus rides) yikes, hopefully everyone gets out ok.....
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Would love see Vin and Dovi on the podium, felt so bad for both of them ,,

MotoGP Argentina: 'I was going to finish 2nd' - heartbreak for Vinales
6 April 2016

"We were doing an incredible race. I was riding the bike over the limit in all the corners" - Maverick Vinales.

Through all the tears and emotion, Maverick Viñales came to reflect that, despite missing out on his debut podium in the class, he had finally ridden a MotoGP machine to its full potential during the Grand Prix of Argentina.

The 21-year was in inspired form on Sunday, catching and passing Valentino Rossi to sit second in the closing laps, a debut podium and Suzuki's first since 2008 within his grasp.

That was until Viñales hit a wet patch at turn one – also the scene of Jorge Lorenzo, Aleix Espargaro and Cal Crutchlow's crashes – three laps from the flag. “I take the wet part with the brake,” he explained, “as I was pushing to get away from Valentino.”

Although initially devastated by the incident – cameras caught Suzuki team members consoling the emotional Catalan as he returned to the garage – Viñales was pleased to prove that he is now ready and capable of running at the front among MotoGP's finest.

“For sure I'm disappointed in one way because the podium was mine,” said Viñales. “I was going to finish second. But I'm really happy because we showed to everyone which potential we have. Also we show that in Qatar we got one tyre that was not really good. We couldn't be on the podium.

“Anyway, we did a really good job. Into the top six for us was perfect. We were doing an incredible race. I was riding the bike over the limit in all the corners. I was doing my best and I am really satisfied that I could take out all my potential on the bike because in the 19 races [before] it was impossible.”

Viñales had been perplexed by not having the speed to remain with the race leaders in Qatar but now feels an issue with his tyre may have been the issue.

Looking ahead to Austin, the scene of his debut Moto2 triumph, the Suzuki rider believes he can continue to show strongly at the front of the class.

“I think in Qatar it was the tyre because [here] we were able to make the step. What I'm happy about in Argentina is that we didn't test and we had enough strategies to be there.

“I'm really positive for Austin. I think Austin is a really good track for me. With my riding style it has always been really good. We will take profit. We need to keep calm and continue of working like this.”

Vinales is tipped as Yamaha's main target should Jorge Lorenzo depart for Ducati next season.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Lorenzo on edge of move ...... looks more and more like a done deal with 99.. announcement likely after COTA - Pre Jerez
British weekly newspaper, MCN, have written revealed details about Jorge Lorenzo’s rumoured move to Ducati. While they say there is no official deal signed, it’s a “verbally done deal and there will be an official announcement of the tie up between the three-time MotoGP champion and the Italian manufacturer when the championship returns to Europe’. MCN are not the first to speculate about a move by Lorenzo, Giacomo Agostini discussed details of the move in late March.

Paolo Ciabatti, Ducati’s Sporting Director, is quoted in the article as having said “We’ve made no secret about it – we know both Marquez and Lorenzo have contracts are expiring at the end of the season. We’ve been talking to the riders.”

When asked about his future plans during the pre-race press conference, Lorenzo remained cagey on his plans, “I want to keep it private with my people and make a decision in the coming weeks.”

Last edited by CBR Time; 04-06-2016 at 08:42 AM.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 PM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
A Rossi / Vinales team would be fantastic.

Lorenzo on Ducati would be fun to watch. The excuses would be endless :)

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Who's going?????
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 05:38 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the silly circus updates!

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Press Conf just ended, nothing new to the awkwardness with the press questions... basically they asked Jorge about Ducati he said nothing, they asked Vale about their relationship and Ducati again nothing, they even asked Vale why he said "it takes balls to ride the Duc etc etc" again nothing to say ... David had good questions as usual, one to Vale about tires the other to Laverty about software comparisons...
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Two rounds of the MotoGP™ have produced five different podium finishers, now the Championship arrives in Austin where Marquez has never lost

"After an exciting two part race in Argentina, the MotoGP™ World Championship arrives in Austin for the first back-to-back races of 2016. There’s no rest for the best in the world as they prepare for round three of the 2016 season. Argentina race winner and championship leader Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) was joined in the pre-race press conference by Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) and Jorge Lorenzo (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) who are both looking to turn their fortunes around in Austin, a track they’ve classically had troubles at. Andrea Iannone (Ducati Team) and Maverick Viñales (Team Suzuki Ecstar) both arrive in Austin looking to make up for their DNFs in Argentina whereas Eugene Laverty (Aspar Team MotoGP) is eager to carry on as in Argentina.

Marc Marquez leads the championship with 41 points and arrives at one of his favourite tracks on the calendar. On each of his three visits to the Circuit of The Americas, Marquez has won from pole position: “Yeah Austin is a circuit that in the past has been really good for me. We’ll see this year, honestly the other years we arrived here with a really strong feeling. The feeling is really good now on the bike but here we have many accelerations and at the moment it’s where we lose the most. We’re trying to find the best way to improve the acceleration. Honda and my team are working a lot so I believe that step by step we will improve in that point and I’m really happy to be here. It looks like the US is a good country for me!”

Few expected neither Marquez nor Repsol Honda to be leading the championship after their troubled pre-season and difficult start to the Qatar GP. But hard work has seen Marquez as the only rider able to finish on the podium in both races: “The pre-season has been really really hard. The feeling wasn’t there and we were losing a lot and in the positions we were far from the top guys. In Qatar in FP1 we were eighth or ninth I don’t remember. But always we believe in our potential and we worked hard to find a good base, it looks like that base was working in Argentina. I hope that it will work here so we will see.”

Argentina saw Valentino Rossi take to the second step of the podium for the 50th time in the premier class, highlighting his long and proud career in MotoGP™. Free Practice 1 in Austin will also mark exactly 15 years since Rossi won the opening race of the 2001 500cc championship: “In Qatar, was a quite good race but I arrived just fourth. In Argentina was a difficult race for everyone, especially because there are a lot of problems with the rear tyre during the weekend and they decided to make the race in two parts. I feel very good on the first part but unfortunately with the second bike I wasn’t strong enough and I was lucky to arrive on the podium.”

Tyres will as ever play a major role in the weekend and Rossi is waiting for Friday to determine if the new Michelins will solve his historic front end problems at the track: “This track is very difficult, so long and so technical and you have all different things from the beginning to the end In the last years it wasn’t the best track for us. Usually we suffered a lot with the front here but now we have to understand if we’ll have the same problem with these tyres. We have to try to be ready and see what happens during practice.”

Jorge Lorenzo suffered his first DNF since the 2015 San Marino GP in Argentina, his opening two rounds of the season offering the highest of highs in Qatar and the lowest of lows in Argentina. The Majorcan now arrives at COTA looking to make up lost ground: “For sure normally I’m a quite safe rider. Obviously in Argentina the conditions of the track were really complicated for everyone but some of them stayed on their bike and I made a mistake. I didn’t feel great on the bike in the first laps and I lost a lot of meters with the first group and instead of having patience to improve the feeling little by little and wait for the second bike, maybe I could have been faster on the second bike. I just pushed too much in this first corner, which had a lot of wet patches and I crashed. Nobody is perfect and I made this mistake and I try to learn from it in the future. I try to forget this race and I think we have a good potential in normal conditions with normal tarmac and normal conditions.”

As was the case in the previous two rounds, Lorenzo’s future was a hot topic of conversation but he remained as tight lipped as ever: “I cannot tell you anything more than in Argentina. When my decision is made in the future you will all know.”

It was a thrilling weekend for Eugene Laverty who achieved his best ever MotoGP™ finish with a stellar fourth place. The Irishman is in the midst of an intense battle to secure the spot of top Independent Team rider in the standing, currently eighth overall and three points shy of Pol Espargaro (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) in sixth: “Yeah, it was a bit of a crazy race let’s say. When we started 17th on the grid I didn’t expect to end up fourth, not even at the start of the race nor at the start of the last lap when I was in eighth place. I crossed the line and I had no idea where I was, it wasn’t until I rounded Turn 1 and I looked up on the tower and saw ‘Lav’ next to P4 that was a great moment!”

Much like Marquez, Laverty and his team struggled throughout pre-season testing, crashes and injuries limiting his progress significantly: “It was one of the roughest pre-seasons I’ve had. I finished the last test in hospital and I came back and Day 1, then the throttle stuck. I though OK ‘I’ve survived that’ and then an hour later the brakes didn’t work so it was really a crazy period and I wondered when my lucky was gonna change and finally I was in the right place at the right time. It looks like the luck of the Irish has worked out this time!”

Despite also crashing out of the race, there was no regret for Maverick Viñales. The young Suzuki rider proved to both himself and the world that he has podium potential: “For sure it was disappointing as I was there. I had the podium in my hand and I made a mistake and I can’t accept that I made this mistake when I had the podium there. Always it would have been great to bring Suzuki to the podium because it has been a lot of years that the bike isn’t at the top. But anyway, I feel confident that I can try to do it again. For sure I learned a lot. When I was riding behind Vale, Iannone and Dovi I learned a lot what our bike needs so for sure it will be helpful.”

Austin has always been a special track for Viñales who took his first Moto2™win at the track: “For sure, always when I come to Austin it’s a really good track. I like it a lot; it’s one of the special tracks for me where I can use my riding style better. Last year was difficult, it was only the second race of the first year in MotoGP and the bike still wasn’t like now. I’m quite confident for this Grand Prix and for sure we will work hard and for sure we’ll try to repeat as we were doing in Argentina.”

The Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas offers a chance of redemption for Andrea Iannone too, the Italian having ended the race in Argentina with an overly ambitious pass on his teammate. Due to the move, Race Direction awarded him a three-place grid penalty for Austin and a penalty point: “Yes, it’s a very bad start to the season. The first race was so bad it’s incredible. I think the best way is to look forward and focus at 100% to improve the situation. It’s very important for us after the second race as it’s my mistake and it’s difficult because it’s my teammate and we went down. It’s difficult for me especially. But OK.”

He also explained the incident in more depth, revealing that he was not attempting to overtake his teammate: “For me it’s very important to stay on the podium and I had the position and after the first race this would have been really good. But I know I had Vale on the rear and I thought Vale would try to pass me on the last corner so I tried to stay more inside on the corner but I touched the dirty part of the track so it’s difficult because I closed the front then I crashed. Unfortunately also Dovi. A very difficult moment for us but for sure we want to improve."
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 09:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I was planning to go to COTA, but I had to make a choice between MotoGP or going to Chicago to see David Gilmour. Since I'm an old fart and a guitar player, I chose Gilmour, but next year, I'll be in Austin for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoomCue For This Useful Post:
Moeman (04-08-2016)
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCue View Post
I was planning to go to COTA, but I had to make a choice between MotoGP or going to Chicago to see David Gilmour. Since I'm an old fart and a guitar player, I chose Gilmour, but next year, I'll be in Austin for sure.
I've seen Floyd 11 times since '73.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 10:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
I've seen Floyd 11 times since '73.
My very first concert was Pink Floyd's The Wall in 1980, in LA. It has been the measuring stick for every concert I've been to since then. I hate missing MotoGP, but they'll be back next year. Probably can't say the same for Gilmour.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:14 PM
Knee Dragger

It's like he planned it, perfectly under the sign with his name

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 10:48 AM
World Superbike Racer

Haha nice

I was planning to go this year but unfortunately can't anymore. It's too bad no more Indy as it's a lot closer for me. Maybe next year. Whoever's going take some good pics!
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Knee Dragger

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 03:56 PM
Moto GP Racer

Fun day so far, lots of sunshine and a nice breeze. Don't forget your sunscreen!
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Fun day so far, lots of sunshine and a nice breeze. Don't forget your sunscreen!

For real. I've gotten a bad sunburn 2/3 years at COTA. Only reason I didn't last year was the rain.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2015 Ducati PanigaleS

2013 BMW S1000RR-Sold
2010 Honda CBR 600RR-Sold
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSurgery View Post
For real. I've gotten a bad sunburn 2/3 years at COTA. Only reason I didn't last year was the rain.
Well, clouds. It never really rained. But...I have never burned. Sunscreen in spray form is easy to carry.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCue View Post
Good choice, especially considering this is likely his last tour. I saw him twice at the Hollywood Bowl, he was incredible.

Anyway back on topic, nice to see Marquez back on top. Anyone catch his interview after FP2? Apparently a potential move from Honda after this season was implied. Honda would be stupid to get rid of him but then again they have a history of giving up their top riders (see Rossi, McGrath).

2007 CBR600RR
2002 VFR800
1996 XR400R
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Marc leading on Fridays FP's am i surprised..... NO lol, dude is incrdeibly fast here!! has a low side crash FP2, got right back on his bike and set a faster time, all these riders are like machines lol. Marc posted that above pic of his crash and thanked Astars and Shoei

Marc Marquez leads FP1 at Circuit of the Americas from start to finish, and debuts new bigger wings on RC213V.

Valentino Rossi rides the 'new' Yamaha for the first time since winter testing, Jack Miller has a big highside, small fire for Andrea Iannone's Ducati...
FP 1 Results
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 04.953s [Lap 10/17] 339km/h (Top Speed)
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 05.208s +0.255s [13/15] 338km/h
3. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 2m 05.570s +0.617s [9/14] 344km/h
4. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 05.682s +0.729s [15/15] 338km/h
5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 2m 06.032s +1.079s [9/14] 345km/h
6. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 06.224s +1.271s [14/16] 341km/h
7. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 06.252s +1.299s [16/16] 339km/h
8. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 06.264s +1.311s [13/13] 340km/h
9. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 06.367s +1.414s [13/15] 341km/h
10. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 06.450s +1.497s [16/16] 341km/h
11. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 06.482s +1.529s [12/13] 336km/h
12. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 06.581s +1.628s [9/16] 340km/h
13. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 2m 06.772s +1.819s [11/15] 338km/h
14. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 07.135s +2.182s [14/14] 334km/h
15. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 2m 07.189s +2.236s [17/18] 336km/h
16. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 07.259s +2.306s [11/13] 339km/h
17. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 07.261s +2.308s [15/15] 343km/h
18. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 07.449s +2.496s [15/16] 336km/h
19. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 07.506s +2.553s [14/14] 335km/h
20. Michele Pirro ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 07.895s +2.942s [9/13] 338km/h
21. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 2m 07.897s +2.944s [5/7] 339km/h

FP2 Results
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 04.034s [Lap 11/14] 341km/h (Top Speed)
2. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 2m 04.740s +0.706s [14/14] 342km/h
3. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 04.895s +0.861s [10/16] 338km/h
4. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 04.899s +0.865s [13/14] 342km/h
5. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 04.901s +0.867s [12/16] 337km/h
6. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 2m 04.974s +0.940s [14/16] 340km/h
7. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 05.190s +1.156s [11/13] 337km/h
8. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 2m 05.194s +1.160s [11/16] 342km/h
9. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 2m 05.195s +1.161s [9/11] 342km/h
10. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 2m 05.393s +1.359s [15/15] 337km/h
11. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 05.488s +1.454s [12/15] 340km/h
12. Michele Pirro ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 2m 05.597s +1.563s [15/15] 340km/h
13. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 05.616s +1.582s [15/15] 338km/h
14. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 2m 05.662s +1.628s [10/14] 337km/h
15. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 05.761s +1.727s [13/14] 340km/h
16. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 2m 05.891s +1.857s [13/13] 338km/h
17. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 05.922s +1.888s [14/14] 337km/h
18. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 2m 06.157s +2.123s [15/16] 340km/h
19. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 2m 06.479s +2.445s [6/17] 338km/h
20. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 2m 06.777s +2.743s [8/11] 339km/h
21. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 2m 07.044s +3.010s [17/17] 336km/h
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

MotoGP Americas: Marquez talks grip, acceleration, counter-rotating engine 9 April 2016
Marc Marquez shrugs off an afternoon fall to dominate MotoGP free practice in Texas, explains how he has changed his style to limit acceleration deficit.

Marc Marquez admits he was pleasantly surprised to discover Michelin's new rear compound tyre had more grip than he had expected as he powered to a 0.706s advantage over the MotoGP field in free practice in Austin.

The four-time world champion was in typically stunning form around the Circuit of the Americas, shrugging of a fall at the final corner in FP2 to lower his fastest time by a further half second and take a commanding advantage into Saturday.

On Friday evening, Marquez explained how Michelin's new softer rear offered more grip but tyre life was still 'critical', something he must work on before qualifying.

“With this stronger construction I expected the grip to be less but it was more. Maybe because they adjusted it with the pressure, but the grip is quite good. Now we must understand the life of the tyre because this morning it was a problem.

“This afternoon was better but it is still critical. We will see tomorrow also because we will have the hard option. We will try it but it's not a problem for me to create these slides.

On acceleration, an area over which Marquez expressed concerns before the event, he stated that although he was a full 1.1 seconds faster than the next best Honda, he revealed that he is still losing out to Pedrosa on the exit of slow turns and in stopping speed.

“In acceleration when I compare data with Dani his is better. His stopping speed also. In the end you must gain in the corners when you lose in the acceleration. this circuit for example in the first gear corners, I try to brake, go wide and come back with speed.

“But to do these lines you must have a lot of confidence with the front because you must brake and go wide. When you go wide the track is dirty and you don't know. I'm going always more wide but it's related to the set-up also.

On lap times being considerably slower than 2015, he added, “The problem is that this year we cannot compare the lap times. We change the tyres. We have some strong points with Michelins and some weak points. Maybe one of the weak points is the front tyre.

“Here have many hard-braking points. Bridgestone we were braking very deep. In this one if you try to brake more deep you saw on the last corner. You must manage well. I think the lap record we will not arrive to it but, close.”

While not announced in an official capacity, it is widely recognised that all five 2016 Hondas are using a counter rotating crankshaft. Marquez acknowledged as much and mentioned some details of using this year's motor compared to the 2015 version.

“It looks like there is less stopping in the first gear corners. You must use more a Yamaha style, you go more wide in the corners, going more wide and prepare well the exit. In these tight corners I was able to turn quicker but now I need to go wide and come back so I change a little but the riding style but still it is good at this circuit.

“The speed is more related to the exit of the corner. We are struggling but in the first gear corners, using this line and coming more back, we are losing less. This is one thing. Then in the change of directions the bike looks slightly better. Last year was maybe faster changing direction. This year is slower but you can more keep the speed. It's strange. It's the character of the bike.”
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

MotoGP Americas: Lorenzo: 'Marquez loves this track' 8 April 2016
“I don't think it is the Honda making the difference, it is Marquez; he loves this track” - Jorge Lorenzo.

Jorge Lorenzo believes he is better shape than fifth on the Friday MotoGP practice timesheets at the Circuit of the Americas would suggest.

The reigning world champion, widely predicted to be moving to Ducati next season, was forced to switch to a less-favoured setting on his spare bike after an engine problem in the afternoon.

But even so, the Movistar Yamaha rider admits it would have been difficult to match Honda's Marc Marquez, who finished the day 0.8s clear of the field as he seeks to keep his perfect Austin win streak alive for a fourth season.

“This afternoon we had some problems with the engine on the first bike,” Lorenzo revealed. “We couldn't continue with this bike, that had the best setting, and with the second bike we tried a different setting that was not good.

“And also the tyres; I put the soft front tyre and it was not working well at 2 o clock in the afternoon with this temperature.

“So finally our potential was much better than this fifth position I think and tomorrow if we can put all the best things together we can be - I don't know as fast as Marquez, because he is really fast. I don't think it is the Honda making the difference, it is him; he loves this track and is very comfortable with it.”

The next best Honda rider after Marquez was his team-mate Dani Pedrosa, just tenth fastest.

In contrast to Marquez's COTA record, Lorenzo has claimed just one podium - third place in the inaugural 2013 event - but feels in better shape than ever before.

“We can be closer than in other years and maybe in a long race we can be constant and competitive. For Austin, we start in a quite good way.” declared the #99, who crashed out of last Sunday's Argentine race before the mandatory bike swap.

“We have to not crash, make a good result and then go to Jerez where things can change a lot.”

Following last weekend's tyre issues, Michelin made a last minute change to a stiffer rear construction this weekend. Only the soft was available on Friday, with the medium arriving tonight.

“The right side looked quite used at the end of the session. That's a little bit because we could just use the soft one, we didn't have any more options. Tomorrow Michelin will bring a harder compound. So we have to try, I think in the morning, and see if on the right side we don't have this problem of use.”

Having regularly struggled whenever Bridgestone delivered 'hear-resistant' tyres, the Spaniard was relieved to find he had no problems with the latest Michelin.

“To be honest I was a little bit worried. A little bit scared. To see if these new tyres were very difficult to warm up. But from the morning I saw that just in a few corners the tyre was almost ready to push and I'm happy with this rear tyre that Michelin brought.

“Probably it is not completely the same as the other one, but it is quite close. Let's see tomorrow with the harder one, if the difference is small or much worse.”

In terms of the front tyre, Lorenzo currently favours the medium option – Michelin making three compounds available instead of the usual two.

“The soft is too soft, especially in the afternoon. And the [medium] could be the race tyre, because some riders tried the hardest option and were 'blocking' in a straight line.”

Team-mate Valentino Rossi was seventh fastest.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

MotoGP: Rossi: 'No big difference' if Lorenzo or Vinales team-mate 9 April 2016
Again Valentino Rossi sings Maverick Vinales' praises, admits the Spaniard will be a 'hard' opponent to defeat in the near future.

Valentino Rossi has said there is no great difference to him whether Jorge Lorenzo decides to stay in Movistar Yamaha colours for the 2017 MotoGP season or Maverick Viñales replaces him, but admitted the Suzuki man will be a 'hard' opponent in the near future.

Friday evening in Texas wasn't the first time Rossi has sung Viñales' praises and the Italian believes the Suzuki's speed around the Circuit of the Americas was further proof that the 21-year old can compete with the class' leading lights throughout the year.

Asked on Friday evening whether he would welcome Viñales into the Yamaha fold, Rossi said, “For me, no problem. It's not a big difference if Lorenzo remain, or Viñales come, or also Iannone, or also Pedrosa. It's true for sure that with Viñales will be very hard, because he is very young, and he have a good talent, and I think that he will become one of the top riders of MotoGP very soon.

“I think that Viñales demonstrated today that he can stay with the top guys for all the season. Because we go in a very different track, and in three tracks, the Suzuki with him is very strong. I think he rides so well, he's a clever rider, and he understand the way to use the MotoGP. So I think him together with his bike, they are growing up a lot.

“For me, Suzuki is very good in the chassis, and is similar to Honda when you follow, but very reactive and very precise. Last year, they had a big disadvantage in the engine, but looks like this year, they improve a lot. But is also true that in this case, Viñales is faster than Espargaro, so it means that he finds a way to ride the bike at the maximum.”

Rossi ended the second free practice sixth fastest, just 0.073s slower and a place behind team-mate Lorenzo. Identifying braking stability as an area in need of improving, the number 46 feels he can be competitive come Sunday.

“The second session was not so bad. I was quite fast in the beginning. We tried something on the bike and in the last run it was not so bad. But unfortunately I did two mistakes. I was never able to do a good lap. If not I could stay more in front. I have quite good potential because I am quite fast everywhere. We suffer a little too much in braking so we need to work to try and improve this part because it's very easy to make mistakes.

“The tyres we need to understand. We have to wait on the hard rear that arrives tomorrow. Also the front is very open. We have three tyres. I think the tyres will make the difference and will be the key for the race.”

On Marquez's staggering speed around Austin, which took Rossi's arch enemy to the top of the time sheets to the tune of 0.7s he added, “Also, it looks like the front of the Honda is very very good, also with the Michelin, and Márquez can enter very fast, and also for this reason is competitive. And also, we have to say, he is a lot faster than Pedrosa. This means also that he rides so fast.”
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 05:18 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Marquez on pole, what a surprise (sarcasm). Nice to see Rossi on the front row, he should be able to contend for a podium, but I predict a runaway victory for Marquez. He's been untouchable all weekend.

2007 CBR600RR
2002 VFR800
1996 XR400R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page