Jorge Lorenzo to Ducati... - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Thanked 1,043 Times in 921 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Jorge Lorenzo to Ducati...

So looks like it's a done deal now, David Emmett via Twitter today.

NOW we can finally sit back and see what the other Riders do, ie Maverick Vinales the likely candidate to take Jorge's seat at Yamaha, however Suzuki would love nothing more than to keep him... Imo Ducati will keep Dovi and Iannone likely to take Mavericks seat should he leave, as for Dani, I think he may very well stay put on the Repsol with Marc,.. but if Dani does leave we could see Alex Rins on a Repsol... should be interesting to see how it all unfolds...

Also to note the main reason why Jorge can't speak about the Ducati is simple imo, he is still under contract with Yamaha so so you certainly wouldn't want him to say how excited he is to ride the Ducati etc etc while he's riding the M1.... I personally look forward to seeing him riding the Duc and believe he will do fine, podium and win races, yes will take some time to adapt to but its Jorge Lorenzo were talking about ...

David's Twitter comments today:

"David Emmett ‏@motomatters 4h4 hours ago
Yamaha boss Lin Jarvis will be in Jerez press conference. Confirms Lorenzo will be leaving for Ducati. Lorenzo won't be allowed to speak ..."

David Emmett ‏@motomatters 4h4 hours ago
Jarvis will do all the talking re: Lorenzo leaving, Lorenzo will only speak about the race. Probably a Ducati press conference Thursday too.

We will have to wait until 01/01/2017 to hear Lorenzo's side of the story. That's when he becomes a Ducati rider, and is free to speak

This is very similar to how Yamaha handled the situation when Rossi left for Ducati. Almost a carbon copy

And yes, I believe Yamaha will allow Lorenzo to test the Ducati on the Monday after Valencia. Did with Rossi.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CBR Time For This Useful Post:
ink38 (04-16-2016), Moeman (04-15-2016), X-treme1 (04-15-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:44 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow, well I am ok with it. Looking forward to seeing Vinales in the seat. I would have way more respect for Lorenzo (not that he cares if he has it) when he just lets his riding do the talking. I guess I am one of the weird ones who doesn't hate when someone else wins (Rossi fan here). I do love to watch the different riding styles between Rossi, Marquez, and Lorenzo. I will say that Ducati's have seem to favor riders that get the bike to move around alot (Stoner, Marquez types), so I wonder how Lorenzo's inch perfect riding style will do with it.

When in doubt. Flat out.
Iannone and Lorenzo are now seagulls buddies for life. -AF4iK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to double0fox For This Useful Post:
CBR Time (04-18-2016), shinfo (04-18-2016)
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,047 Times in 853 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by double0fox View Post
I would have way more respect for Lorenzo (not that he cares if he has it) when he just lets his riding do the talking. I guess I am one of the weird ones who doesn't hate when someone else wins (Rossi fan here).
that's a strange comment from a rossi fan. because nobody plays head games better than the doctor himself. he's basically made a career of manipulating his opponents through careful psychological warfare.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Yes as of now looks like Vinales is the one Yamaha wants, that of course if decided to leave? just when things are going well for him does he want to hang it up for another manufacture? the M1 is prob the better bike here lets be honest, also $$$ will prob talk... As far as who will be Jorges teamate, i believe it will be Dovi, Iannone could fill the Suzuki seat again only if Vin leaves, lets not forget Alex Rins...so it'll be interesting to see just how everything unfolds...

One things for sure, Ducati is not messing around, first the signing of Casey Stoner as there test rider, and now the world champion Jorge Lorenzo, safe to say they want a championship and they want it badly

Last edited by CBR Time; 04-18-2016 at 08:22 PM.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha Press Release:
After three incredible titles, 41 races wins and 99 podiums together, Jorge Lorenzo and Yamaha will part ways after the 2016 season.
Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. announces that its partnership with Jorge Lorenzo will be discontinued at the close of the 2016 MotoGP™ season, when Lorenzo will move on to new racing challenges.

Since Lorenzo joined the Yamaha Factory Racing Team in 2008, Lorenzo and Yamaha have enjoyed eight fantastic seasons of racing together, during which time they have won three MotoGP™ World Championships (2010, 2012 and 2015), clinched 41 race wins and have been on the podium 99 times out of 141 races contested.

Yamaha is extremely grateful for Jorge's contributions to its racing successes and looks forward to sharing more memorable moments during the remaining 15 MotoGP™ rounds of 2016, their ninth season together.

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. wishes Lorenzo the very best in his future racing endeavors and reconfirms the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP team’s full support on his campaign to achieve his fourth MotoGP™ title.

Having already reconfirmed Valentino Rossi for 2017-18, Yamaha will announce the future Movistar Yamaha MotoGP team riders’ line-up in due course after securing the services of the second rider.

Ducati Press Release:
Ducati and Jorge Lorenzo will join forces in 2017 and 2018 as they look to conquer the MotoGP™ World Championship.
Ducati announces that it has reached an agreement with Jorge Lorenzo thanks to which the Spanish rider will take part in the MotoGP™ World Championship in 2017 and 2018 aboard the Ducati Desmosedici GP of the Ducati Team.

Lorenzo, born in Palma de Mallorca on 4 May 1987, has won five world championship titles throughout his racing career (250cc in 2006 and 2007 and MotoGP™ in 2010, 2012 and 2015).
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Lorenzo set to take on new challenge with Ducati

Having spent his entire premier class career with Yamaha, Jorge Lorenzo will move to the factory Ducati Team for 2017.
On Monday the 18th of April 2016, Ducati announced that they have reached an agreement with Jorge Lorenzo which will see the Spanish rider take part in the MotoGP™ World Championship in 2017 and 2018 aboard the Ducati Desmosedici GP of the Ducati Team. After nine seasons in MotoGP™ with Yamaha and three titles, this is a big step for Lorenzo as he aims to join the likes of Rossi, Lawson, Stoner and Giacomo Agostini in taking premier class titles on two different makes of motorcycle.

In 2008 Lorenzo stepped up to the premier class and immediately impressed with pole position and second place on his debut. Although the season had several big crashes, it was clear that the partnership was set to produce something special. He would go on to grab the Rookie of the Year title with ease and assert himself as a title threat in the coming years.

2010 was Lorenzo’s real breakthrough; taking six wins and never finishing a race lower than second. This incredible consistency has become a trademark of the Majorcan, taking the title with an incredible 383 points. Since then no champion in the MotoGP™ class has managed to score more points on their way to the title and will be one of the many records Lorenzo and Ducati will be eager to break.

A difficult season followed in 2011, Lorenzo missing the final three rounds of the year due to an injured finger. Despite this he and Yamaha still managed to end the championship in second place overall. The combination would come back stronger in 2012 as Lorenzo fended off both Dani Pedrosa and Casey Stoner to take his second premier class title with Yamaha. He would take five wins and once again never finished a race lower than second place. Lorenzo had changed how races were run, his ability to break away at the front forcing other riders to adapt their race strategy.

Eight wins would come in 2013 as Lorenzo once again did battle with a Repsol Honda rider for the crown, but this time it was Marc Marquez. The two would battle till the last race, Lorenzo doing all he could to take victory but missed the title by a merger four points. 2014 would be another trying season as an inconsistent start ruled Lorenzo out of the title chance. He would take just two wins that season but would again finish inside the top three overall. As ever he and Yamaha remained focused and came back strong for 2015.

The 2015 season proved unforgettable as Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi rekindled their old rivalry and sparred for the title throughout the year. After a difficult start to the season Lorenzo rallied and pushed Rossi till the bitter end, once more the title would be decided in Valencia. A classically flawless ride followed for Lorenzo as he took his seventh win of the year and his third MotoGP™ World Championship.

By the third round of the 2016 season Lorenzo and Yamaha had claimed 99 podium finishes together, the same number Lorenzo has raced with for the majority of his time in the premier class. On the eve of round four, the Jerez GP, it was announced that Lorenzo would Ducati for the 2017 and 2018 seasons as both parties look for a new challenge. Lorenzo and Luigi Dall’Igna will once again be working together, Dall’Igna having been heavily involved in both of Lorenzo’s 250cc titles with Aprilia.

Ducati will be hoping that Lorenzo provides the boost they need to take their first title since Casey Stoner in 2007 and return them to regularly fighting for race wins. Since Dall’Igna joined the Bologna factory, Ducati have gone from strength to strength and gone from struggling for the top five to fighting for the podium consistently. The adventure with Ducati is a big step for Lorenzo who has never ridden a bike other than an M1 in MotoGP™ but his undeniable talent and Ducati’s rejuvenation look set to make it a fruitful one.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:30 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
that's a strange comment from a rossi fan. because nobody plays head games better than the doctor himself. he's basically made a career of manipulating his opponents through careful psychological warfare.
Where did I say anything about "head games"? Why is that a strange comment?

When in doubt. Flat out.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:33 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
to paraphrase

"I would have way more respect for Lorenzo if he just let his riding do the talking"

that's a strange statement from a rossi fan because rossi does a LOT of talking when off his bike and in press conferences. that's the point i was making
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:38 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
to paraphrase

"I would have way more respect for Lorenzo if he just let his riding do the talking"

that's a strange statement from a rossi fan because rossi does a LOT of talking when off his bike and in press conferences. that's the point i was making
Never said he didn't. I like watching Rossi race, and nothing else. I like watching Lorenzo race, and nothing else. This isn't a start some **** thread, so don't take it that way, but it seems like any MotoGP news turns into a shitshow.

When in doubt. Flat out.

Last edited by double0fox; 04-18-2016 at 08:45 PM.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
i know, i just don't like that a lot of "rossi fans" (obviously not yourself included) think that he's some sort of angel and is being wronged by anyone else. rossi is as guilty as the next of mind games, meddling, and using the press in his favor.

i'm excited to see lorenzo on the ducati. he'll definitely stir up some ****. it'll be sad to see vinales off the suzuki though, unless he's replaced with someone who can get in the mix.

i'm sick of watching the same old **** over and over. i want to see someone completely throw a wrench in the works
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
i know, i just don't like that a lot of "rossi fans" (obviously not yourself included) think that he's some sort of angel and is being wronged by anyone else. rossi is as guilty as the next of mind games, meddling, and using the press in his favor.

i'm excited to see lorenzo on the ducati. he'll definitely stir up some ****. it'll be sad to see vinales off the suzuki though, unless he's replaced with someone who can get in the mix.

i'm sick of watching the same old **** over and over. i want to see someone completely throw a wrench in the works
Do you watch WSBK? I feel like I can't take my eyes off the screen without something happening. Great racing!

When in doubt. Flat out.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:53 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There will be a big domino effect over the next several weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see other number two's, including DP26, do some team swapping. I don't think it matters if it's Joe or Dovi on the other side of the Ducati garage, but I think if it's Dovi, several teams will be clamoring for Iannone's services.

Or everybody could be completely wrong and silly season is just a swap of riders between Yamaha and Ducati and everybody else stays put.

Yeah, right....
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 PM
BOTM Winner Jan 2015

I really hope Dani moves away from Repsol HRC. It would be amazing to see him on the KTM, or Suzuki.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

https://40.media.tumblr.com/68b9f92683e3e0506dd727af79363281/tumblr_ntyw0v9hrk1ufoouto1_500.jpg
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:37 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Quote:
Do you watch WSBK? I feel like I can't take my eyes off the screen without something happening. Great racing!
yes of course. I think moto3 is my favorite though
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:39 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinfo View Post
I really hope Dani moves away from Repsol HRC. It would be amazing to see him on the KTM, or Suzuki.

Yes please!

When in doubt. Flat out.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:21 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Been some time coming.... But interesting!
Would be even more interesting if CS27 moved back to being a rider and have a JL99 and CS27 lineup :D

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:42 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Where did I say anything about "head games"? Why is that a strange comment?
He has a hatred for Rossi fans, it's been obvious since he got here.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinfo View Post

It sounds like KTM is going to look into a current Moto2 rider for their #2. SPEEDWEEK MotoGP - Pit Beirer (KTM): «Zweiter MotoGP-Fahrer aus Moto2»

Dani on the Suzuki would be interesting to see.

2007 CBR600RR
2002 VFR800
1996 XR400R
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Really think Repsol will keep Dani , they want to. But we will see I suppose. If Vin heads to Yam, I see Iannone taking his bike at Suzuki.. silly silly season indeed
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Casey on Twitter "@Official_CS27 " I'm happy to welcome @lorenzo99 to the @DucatiMotor team for 2017! Looking forward to working together on the red machine! "
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

It will be interesting if nothing else (I'm sure there will be plenty else). We've seen the same asses on the same top seats for quite a while now. It will be good to see an alien on a Ducati that can corner. I could care less about rider soap operas when they're off track. Would be nice seeing something besides a Honda or Yamaha win. I think Gigi Dall'Igna is going from strength to strength. Reorganizing the Ducati Corse dept, massively improving the bike, securing Stoner as a test rider, and now Lorenzo as their main rider. Kind of scary to think of Stoner & Lorenzo working together to develop the bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to PdubRR For This Useful Post:
CBR Time (04-19-2016)
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Great read from Mat Oxley via David Emmett (Why did Lorenzo do it?) Why did Lorenzo do it? - MotoGP - Motor Sport Magazine
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR Time For This Useful Post:
DoomCue (04-19-2016)
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdubRR View Post
Kind of scary to think of Stoner & Lorenzo working together to develop the bike.
What if Ducati ditched both of the Andreas and brought Stoner on full time?

2007 CBR600RR
2002 VFR800
1996 XR400R
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlap5150 View Post
What if Ducati ditched both of the Andreas and brought Stoner on full time?
I think Stoner was asked about a billion times since he became Ducati's test rider if he thought about racing again, and every single time his answer was "no". Plus I think Lorenzo wouldn't want that. But then again he said he doesn't care between Iannone, and Dovi who would be his teammate. So I wonder if he would if it was Stoner. Would spice things up a little more.

When in doubt. Flat out.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
the only way stoner would race again would be if the press didn't show up. and that's pretty unlikely.

after last year's press frenzy i'm pretty sure he won't go anywhere near all that drama
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

haha yeah trust me Casey is DONE racing full time. Dudes got it all now, perfect family, and his job is a test rider with Ducati, tough life :P
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Movistar Yamaha – MotoGP World Champion Jorge Lorenzo said he “required another challenge” as the Movistar Yamaha rider pondered his choice to join Ducati toward the end of this season. The three-time chief class champion has marked a two-year manage the Italian maker for 2017 and 2018, yet for the time being Lorenzo remains completely centered around attempting to hold his crown as he gets ready for the fourth round of the title this weekend at Jerez in Spain.

“As all of you know next season, I won’t be with Yamaha. I felt I required a change, another test in my profession, set new objectives for me to attempt to accomplish and keep my level of aspiration at the greatest,” Movistar Yamaha’s rider Lorenzo said. “I have just expressions of appreciation to the Yamaha family in view of the considerable number of minutes we survived together. I accomplished a great deal more than I’d ever imagined. What will happen later on is unusual yet from here on I simply need to appreciate these 15 races that I have left with Yamaha to attempt to confirm the World Championship. This is at this moment my just target.”

movistar yamaha lorenzo 1

Movistar Yamaha Jorge Lorenzo: “Jerez is one of my most loved circuits on the planet”

Lorenzo started a four-race winning streak at Jerez a year ago to touch off his title test and brags an incredible record at the Spanish circuit, where he won twice in the 250cc class in 2006 and 2007 preceding chalking up three MotoGP achievements in 2010, 2011 and 2015. “Jerez is one of my most loved circuits on the planet due to the uncommon lay-out of the track and the climate and the general population embracing us from the grandstands,” the Movistar Yamaha’s rider said. “Last season we commenced with a decent arrangement of four triumphs in Jerez after a troublesome begin so ideally this year we can rehash such an awesome result.”

Lorenzo is presently second in the points standing, 21 points behind Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

MotoGP: The burning questions raised by Jorge Lorenzo’s switch from Yamaha to Ducati

Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page