MotoGP speculation. - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MotoGP speculation.

This is Nicky's contract year. If he wins the points, I think Honda re-signs him for at least 4 more years. Regardless, I don't think Honda let's him go. Nicky's a team player and a company guy (like it or not) and is a good fit for Honda.

I believe this is Colin Edwards' contract year. Given his age and lack of competitiveness, I don't see him in MotoGP next year. Maybe WSBK or AMA.

I believe Stoner had a one year contact with Honda and the speculation is he could be paired up with Rossi next year on the M1.

Not sure about anyone else. How long was Gibernau signed to Ducati?

Stupid Hopper. I wish he was on the Honda satelite team.

Any other MotoGP rumors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
no speculations that i can contribute, but i do agree and hope that honda does the right thing and resigns nicky for a few more years...he deserves it...and they have made so much progress on the current bike and im guessing he has helped along the progress on the new smaller displacement bike for next year

2006 CBR 600RR v.2 (picked up 08/18/2007)
2006 CBR 600RR v.1 (lowsided 07/22/07 @ appx. 9:55am)
1996 Honda Prelude VTEC
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan (R.I.P. 12/22/2010)
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 01:56 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Stoner has a 3 year contract with HRC so he's not going anywhere. Ducati may not resign Sete but who would they replace him with? Same with Yamaha, Colin hasn't really been getting it done but who would they replace him with? I think Yamaha f'ed up big time by not getting Stoner in the first place. There was no way they were gonna get Pedrosa so they should've locked up Stoner before the 2005 season was even over. Now Honda has all 4 of the best young riders in GP.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 PM

I dk Honda has not really done too much for nicky at least it seems to me! and although im not sure why... But honda did get rid of Rossi or maybe Rossi bailed on Honda.. i don't know if its exactly locked up yet, that nicky stays with honda. Honda has done a lot of dumb things this year with nicky.. i think this may show that they don't c a future with nicky but with the new young guns stoner and pedrosa
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 02:05 PM
cvlighthouse

There is some talk of Ben Spies moving up into Moto GP. If he beats Mat Mladin this year in the superbike championship, he will be the only other racer to do it besides Nicky Hayden.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Who do you think from the current crop of 250 riders would be ready for the GP class? If they replace CE at Yamaha it will probably be with a 250 rider. Same with Sete though I think Ducati prefers veteran riders.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 02:05 PM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well, Hayden probably isn't going any where and will be re-signed by Honda just by virtue of the fact that Yamaha might pick him up if Colin is released and so is Hayden. Remember, just before Yamaha got Rossi, Yamaha thought they signed Hayden, but due to a matching clause in Hayden's Honda contract from Superbike, Honda retained him. If Honda doesn't sign Hayden, look for Yamaha to make a move; it will be an upgrade over Colin, plus Hayden has juicy Honda secrets.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"It´s not easier to ride, but I don´t need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 02:30 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
This is Nicky's contract year. If he wins the points, I think Honda re-signs him for at least 4 more years. Regardless, I don't think Honda let's him go. Nicky's a team player and a company guy (like it or not) and is a good fit for Honda.
Like they said on the Speed broadcast. No better way to write your own contract than to win races and championships. Especially with a bike thought to be subpar...

Quote:
I believe this is Colin Edwards' contract year. Given his age and lack of competitiveness, I don't see him in MotoGP next year. Maybe WSBK or AMA.
I dont know if CE is going anywhere. Rossi loves CE and doesnt like or doesnt want to work with Stoner even though Burgess wants to. The fact that Rossi likes CE may keep him on the Yammy team just by proxy.

Quote:
Stupid Hopper. I wish he was on the Honda satelite team.
Here is my thinking on Hopper. He got offers from Tech 3 Yammy, Kawasaki, Ducati DAntin and Suzuki. None of those are a winning bike. So why not stick with what you know? I dont think he got an offer from Honda. Other than Rossi, who WOULDNT jump at the chance to ride the RC211V? I think this stems from his lack of company man skill. Honda wants guys like Hayden, Pedrosa and Melandri who play the company man role, not party animals like Hopper who are out getting photos at strip clubs in Australia. And that kicking of the bike after it broke did NOT help him get a Honda ride in 2008 if he is still around. To Honda, thats just as bad as the rumor that Biaggi dropped the bike on the ground last year. Unless Hop spends some time rebuilding him image over the next year and a half he MAY get offered a satalite ride on Honda in 2008. But if he keeps going the way he is, he wont get it. Too old in 08. I dont think Hop will win a World Championship unless the 08 Suzuki is a dark horse like in 2000.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 02:32 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Spies already signed for 2 years with Suzuki in AMA so he's not going anywhere either. Kind of a dumb move in my opinion but maybe he really doesn't want to go to the world level. He should have at least gone to WSBK this year.

It would be stupid of Nicky to leave Honda after winning the championship (which he will barring bad luck). The Yamaha M1 is not a better bike and he certainly is not going to get number 1 treatment as Rossi's teammate. Nicky is the number 1 rider at Honda and they have developed the bike according to his desires. Chances are the new Honda is going to be competitive out of the box since they've already been running the new engine for a few months now.

Of the 250 guys whoever wins the championship this year might be a good bet for the empty Yamaha seat but I'm not really sold on that idea. The only reason guys like Lorenzo and Takahashi are winning is because Stoner and Pedrosa left. If I were Yamaha, it would be a safer bet to keep Edwards, at least for a year.

I guess we'll see, maybe one of them could take either Elias' or Tamada's seat. Elias should be doubly worried since Lorenzo is Spanish and Fortuna would love to have a non-slow Spanish rider on their team.

Last edited by G.Irish; 07-27-2006 at 02:34 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 02:34 PM

Good point sooperman12 honda knows how good hayden was in r&d and Yamaha could def. use that kinda guy!! if they kicked hayden loose who would they be tryin to pick up??? Also from 250 i would say hector barbara or lorenzo.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I can't see Honda letting Nicky go. He's a great fit for Honda. He and Rossi aren't really buddies like CE. Rossi and Edwards are kind of party, socialites. Hayden is a company man, God fearing and is a tireless worker. He works really hard to get better and better. Honda would do well to keep him.

Yep, Spies did re-sign with the AMA. Bummer as I think he would do well in a few years at the GP level.

I don't really see any American talent ready to move up to the GP level at this point. Certainly no one in AMA racing right now save for that 16 year old kid (can't remember his name.)

You know what I'd like to see? Elena Meyers racing 125s in Europe and working her way up to the GP level. It'd be awesome to see a girl racing MotoGP -- and she has raw talent.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 04:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
I can't see Honda letting Nicky go. He's a great fit for Honda. He and Rossi aren't really buddies like CE. Rossi and Edwards are kind of party, socialites. Hayden is a company man, God fearing and is a tireless worker. He works really hard to get better and better. Honda would do well to keep him.
Thats not what is bothering Rossi right now. What is bothering Rossi right now is that he is slumping and being beaten by Hayden. Rossi took Hayden under his wing in 2003. Rossi used to take Hayden out for pizza all the time. Only now that Hayden is beating, Rossi doesnt want anything to do with him. :P Jealousy doesnt suit Rossi. I would think he would happy for someone else's success, even at the expense of his own.

I think that Rossi would be better served being more like Manny Ramierez of the Red Sox. Apprently earlier this week the Sox were watching the end of the Yankee game and when Derek Jeter came up with a game winning triple, Manny applauded. It made national news due to the Yanks/Sox rivalry. Personally as a Yankee fan, it made me like Manny a bit more because he is a ball fan first and a player second. I like to see that attitude in sports and think that it could be best served in every sport. I dont like people taking things too seriously. Especially sports.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I heard that story. Nicky said now that he's leading the points him and Rossi have sort of a rivalry.

I tell you, I miss Biaggi in all this. Him and Rossi going back and forth was great. Sete too but he hasn't been much of a factor in the past two years.

Rivalries are good for MotoGP. It bumps up the competition to another level and is great entertainment :)
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 PM

Several races back I read that Ducati were interested in Hayden and that he was a good fit for them. Given Hayden's run of success and lack of a contract announcement at Honda, I'm sure he's been approached. I doubt Honda will let him go, but they certainly haven't seemed totally vested in his championship run at times this year. And no doubt, as soon as Pedrosa is hitting on all cylinders Honda will be fully behind him.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:23 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh600RR
I doubt Honda will let him go, but they certainly haven't seemed totally vested in his championship run at times this year.
Why? Because he is on the 06 bike? If he had been put on the 05 bike people would be complaining that he didn't get the lastest and greatest. He and HRC (or maybe it was all HRC) chose the bike they thought had the most potential and Nicky is the only one developing it and the only one reaping said benefits. Before him Biaggi had that duty, before him it was Barros, and before him it was Rossi. The way HRC does things may seem strange but last I checked they have somewhere over 20% more GP500/Moto GP wins than the next most successful manufacturer. Can't argue with the results, although admittedly Jeremy Burgess was behind 7 or 8 of them.

Chances are in 07 either Nicky will be number 1, or he and Dani will get equal treatment to start and HRC will adjust their support depending on results. Dani doesn't really have enough experience to really take on development (which is why he wasn't the development rider this season) so I'd have to imagine Nicky will take the lead again should he stay.

I'm sure Nicky will get several big money offers, the only way he'd leave is if HRC was stupid and offered an insultingly low amount.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 07:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
only a crazy man would leave the repsol honda team right now. They have the best team in MotoGP. I know i'll hear arguements about Burgess, but they need to finish. Repsol hasin't a DNF all year due to mechanical problems. I'd stay if I was hayden. he's the 2nd best rider in MotoGP on the best team. I'm not trying to take anything away from hayden by saying he's 2nd best, but it takes more than one year to de-throne rossi.

I'm sure there is a rivalry brewing between rossi and hayden. Rossi is the best rider in the paddock, the best rider in the world, period dot. He OWNS motogp. And he's losing because hayden is doing an awesome job. I'd be grumpy too.

I think Pedrosa will actually do better on the smaller bikes. I also think FIM and the european media would much rather see Pedrosa than hayden on top. anyone but and american. and FIM prefers the 125 250 route as opposed to a former superbike rider.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 07:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I too think Nicky would be crazy to leave Honda but its not too far-fetched. Honda lost Rossi after all.

The funny thing about Pedrosa is that I have to think that if he starts winning a lot people are really gonna start complaining about his weight. 125GP has a combined minimum weight requirement and I wouldn't be surprised to see one in Moto GP before long. Of course, DORNA is a Spanish company so I'm sure they'll go to bat for Pedrosa and HRC is certainly not going to complain...
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 PM

Seems that Stoner will NOT go to Yamaha now either. But that doesn't mean CE will stay, he might, but they are also looking at Lorenzo and Dovitzioso, but apparently Stoner ain't going.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:21 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman
Seems that Stoner will NOT go to Yamaha now either. But that doesn't mean CE will stay, he might, but they are also looking at Lorenzo and Dovitzioso, but apparently Stoner ain't going.
Yeah as far as I understamdd, Stoner has a 3 year contract with HRC so I don't know why there are rumors about going to Yamaha, unless of course he breaks contract (not unprecendented, Barros did that to go to Honda in 04).
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 10:38 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
You know what I'd like to see? Elena Meyers racing 125s in Europe and working her way up to the GP level. It'd be awesome to see a girl racing MotoGP -- and she has raw talent.
Here's the start of her 125gp stateside

Elena Makes 125GP debut!!

Arclight sponsored rider Elena Myers made her 125GP debut this past weekend at Willow Springs raceway in Southern Claifornia. This once a year event held at the Streets of Willow track was the perfect venue for this rising stars first outing. Run by the CMRRA minibike club, the weekend consisted of all day practice on Saturday and a 2 race/moto format for Sunday's races. Elena having been used to tight and twisty circuits had no trouble figuring out the very fast and very technical 1.8 mile track by lapping in the low 1:28's by the end of her last practice session. While a few of the fast guys were already in the 1:26's, Elena felt confident that by the end of the day she would be ready for Sunday's event.

Against a field of 16 riders, several of which were the USGPRU top brass, Elena managed to draw pole position for race one. Green drops and Elena holeshots in turn one only to be passed by John Schendel with a bold out-braking move up the inside. She held on to second for a few more turns but was passed again by a few more experienced riders. Elena turning high 1:27's, managed to hold on to fifth by the checkers for a second row start in the main. Main event: Knowing what she had to do and where she was loosing time, Elena was determined not to make the same mistakes she had in the first race. Starting from the second row she put her head down when the green flew and charged into turn one in the fifth spot. She nabbed one rider on the exit to get into the 4th spot and nearly out-broke the 3rd place rider by turn three. It was a tight battle up front with all 4 riders nose to tail.

As the laps wore on the 2 up front, Ben Solis and John Schendel were battling hard, with Ryan Ferris and Elena starting to lose touch. White flag: By now, there was about a 3 second separation between Ferris and Myers, who was securely in 4th. As far as the rest of the field goes, they were pretty much out of it as Elena crossed the line with one lap to go. Starting to reel Ferris in a bit for a last ditch effort, Elena managed to close the gap slightly but it was not enough as she settled for 4th place at the checkers some 2+ seconds behind Ferris. More than pleased, Myers managed a best lap time of 1:26.4 seconds, just a little over a 2 seconds off the 125cc lap record!!

It was a great first "125 weekend" and as always Elena would like to thank her always wonderful and generous sponsors for all their help and support.

Arclight Racing
Dunlop Tires
Arai
Umbrella Girls USA
STARKS
STKN Moto
D&W Images
GiMoto
Imgex Racing
[email protected]
Stockton Motorplex Park
Motostrano
GPCMoto
MacDaddy Computers

And a link to the rest of her season

http://www.elenamyers.com/whatsnew.html

I can't find anything on her as to weather or not she is going to try out for the Redbull Gp thing yet.

This is the red bull motogp rokkies cup at a glance

RED BULL MOTOGP ROOKIES CUP

READY TO BE A ROOKIE?

Full throttle for tomorrow’s motorbike champions at the Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup in 2007. World's best junior riders will be fighting for one of the 20 starting places from 28 to 31 August in Valencia (Spain).

The prejudice: money and connections are more important than talent and enthusiasm as an entry into motor sport.
The truth: 13- to 16-year-old motorbike talents can qualify from 28 to 31 August, in Valencia (Spain), for the Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup and lay the foundations for a career in motor sports. Those who prove themselves in the seven-run series of races will be given the chance to be accepted at the Red Bull MotoGP Academy. This one-year professional training moulds the junior riders into true racers, able to deal with all tracks and conditions.

Neither racing experience nor a fat wallet are required for the Selection Event: contenders only need to pay their own travel expenses and bring their own crash helmet and leather gear, and apply for the event now at www.redbullrookiescup.com, The racing bike, a 32 PS and 80 kilo Pre GP 125, will be provided on location.
The appraisals will cover more than just the lap times: “We are looking for the right mix of speed, cleverness, passion and a strong personality”, says MotoGP boss Alberto Puig. He and KTM Road Racing Director Harald Bartol will eliminate riders in each round, until only the 20 most talented are left.

Dani Pedrosa’s story demonstrates how the Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup and the Red Bull MotoGP Academy can tune a career in motor sport: the Rookies Cup and Academy member is already a three-times World Champion. And he is still only 20 years old.

www.redbullrookiescup.com
Visit the official website

Why do the vendors want us to buy there stuff when they never have it in stock?
:book1: One thing leads to another and the next thing you know,your bike is a piece of neglected junk. :book1:

Last edited by alaska cajun; 07-30-2006 at 11:51 PM.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse
There is some talk of Ben Spies moving up into Moto GP.
Believe it or not, also Jake Zemke.

2006 Honda CBR600RR, Red/Black
Daily Driver.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 10:55 PM
cvlighthouse

Ya, I watched the superbike race at Laguna and they pretty much confirmed Ben is in a 2 yr AMA deal. But thet doesn't mean Suzuki doesn't have something up their sleeve. As far as Jake going to GP, good luck to him! He's like a local to me (Paso Robles is 2 hrs from Carmel Valley)
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 05:55 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

What do you all think of Chris Vermeulen more-or-less upstaging Hopper in his debut year in MotoGP? I bet Hopper is kind of irked about that. That team won't be changing for a long time.

Even though CE's MotoGP career has been lackluster so far, I doubt Yamaha will get rid of him due to him and Rossi's great chemistry together. They are really good friends and whatever keeps the champ happy is a priority. It's a double-edged sword though because they aren't looking toward the future for when Rossi leaves or gets de-throned, you know?

I'm still confused as to why Kawasaki signed Randy de Puniet. That was a HUGE mistake in my opinion. They were better off signing either Olivier Jacque or Max Biaggi instead of that guy. They should've kept Alex Hoffman, too. Doesn't RdP crash a lot?

Dorna might want to get more brits involved so maybe Chaz Davies might come into the 800cc season. Watch out for that pre-pubescent kid Bradley Smith in 125cc GP to come around in the next few years.

Makoto Tamada: Honda's biggest let-down if you ask me. What has that guy done? Up until Saschenring he hadn't done a thing. It looked like he was going to place a podium until KRJR torpedoed him from the side. Too bad. I think Honda might give him the boot and sign a young 250-er.

And Hayden. I don't see Hayden LEAVING Honda, but I definantly can see Honda giving Hayden the HEAVE-HO. He's doing awesome right now and he's definantly great with publicity and marketing for Honda motorcycles here in the US. I think the results of this season will determine what Honda does to Hayden. If he wins the championship they will keep him. If he screws up and Pedrosa or Rossi wins, then I can see Honda "letting him go" in favor of Stoner.

Ducati has been cycling through riders every single year. I don't know what they're up to. First Bayliss, then Checa, and now Gibernau. None of those riders did anything remarkable - save Bayliss who got 2nd place at his last race on that crappy Ducati in Valencia 2004 (I think). It's very possible that they add a 3rd bike and hire Biaggi. I want him back so badly no matter how much of an ass he was. Like SS said, he added flavor to the GP circus. Plus he was a great rider. If the machines weigh less next year he might be able to do better with his riding style of high corner speeds. He just needs to figure out engine braking since 2-strokes don't have it.

How come Marco Melandri doesn't get any attention? That guy is a hard worker and he got 2nd place last year in front of Hayden. He's also been much more consistent than Stoner this year. He does great considering he's on a satellite bike while being heavily injured and most likely drugged up.

Dunlop seriously needs to hurry up their tire development. Those Dunlops teams (D'Antin Ducati/Tech3 Yamaha) have good bikes, but the tires are just AWFUL! They are usually several seconds off race pace. If they figure something out soon, then those riders will hopefully place much better.

Quick question about the 800cc bikes. Are they teams just going to develop new engines and more-or-less drop them into the current frames or will they be building entirely new machines from the ground up? I don't think Yamaha will build a "new" bike since that isn't really Burgess' style (he keeps things pretty simple). Honda seems to be testing lots of new parts so who knows with them. The new Duc looks identical minus the new tank and tail fairing. I think Suzuki will be building a new bike since the current GSV-R with pneumatic valves (F1 mumbo-jumbo?) sucks pretty hard.

I can't wait for the season to end for all the juicy rumors to fly around. There should really be a racing magazine with rumors and stuff like all those celebrity magazines.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
And Hayden. I don't see Hayden LEAVING Honda, but I definantly can see Honda giving Hayden the HEAVE-HO. He's doing awesome right now and he's definantly great with publicity and marketing for Honda motorcycles here in the US. I think the results of this season will determine what Honda does to Hayden. If he wins the championship they will keep him. If he screws up and Pedrosa or Rossi wins, then I can see Honda "letting him go" in favor of Stoner.
Maybe HRC will. They did let rossi go. But they'd be crazy. I'm not a hayden fan, but he's got better every year. If he doesn't win the championship it'd be a miracle. all he has to do practically is finish. Stoner is really fast until he crashes. I'd love to see stoner on a factory yamaha.

I really like Chris Vermeulen. That team is coming along well. I wonder what hopper could've done if he'd inherited the championship winning bike and not one that need 3 years of development to get pole.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aren
What do you all think of Chris Vermeulen more-or-less upstaging Hopper in his debut year in MotoGP? I bet Hopper is kind of irked about that. That team won't be changing for a long time.
I think having a competitive teammate is good for Hopper, it'll push him to get better results and it will help the team. I'm sure it was kind of embarassing to have Vermy show him up at the USGP but hopefully it will motivate him to do better.

Quote:
I'm still confused as to why Kawasaki signed Randy de Puniet. That was a HUGE mistake in my opinion. They were better off signing either Olivier Jacque or Max Biaggi instead of that guy. They should've kept Alex Hoffman, too. Doesn't RdP crash a lot?
Jacque had already had a shot at GP and De Puniet was already signed when all that stuff went down with Biaggi. I think Kawasaki was trying to make room for him but Bridgestone told them they could not supply tires (which may or may not have been BS). De Puniet got his ride because Dorna wanted to get a French rider in the series (to appease the French audience of course) so I think they pulled some strings and probably put some money on the table.

Quote:
Dorna might want to get more brits involved so maybe Chaz Davies might come into the 800cc season. Watch out for that pre-pubescent kid Bradley Smith in 125cc GP to come around in the next few years.
Chaz Davies may well get a shot if there are a few new teams in GP, or if Ellison gets the boot.

Quote:
Makoto Tamada: Honda's biggest let-down if you ask me. What has that guy done? Up until Saschenring he hadn't done a thing. It looked like he was going to place a podium until KRJR torpedoed him from the side. Too bad. I think Honda might give him the boot and sign a young 250-er.
Yep, can't imagine him staying on too much longer considering his results. If I had to pick another Japanese to take his place it would be Takahashi.

Quote:
Honda is not going to boot Hayden from the factory team in favor of a frequent crasher like Stoner. Stoner has a lot of potential but that's just it, potential. There are plenty of riders in the past who had a lot potential and never panned out. Nicky has started to do very well so unless he totally self destructs in the last six races the seat is his for the taking.

If Nicky doesn't ride the Honda next year it'll be because he chose not to renew.

Quote:
How come Marco Melandri doesn't get any attention? That guy is a hard worker and he got 2nd place last year in front of Hayden. He's also been much more consistent than Stoner this year. He does great considering he's on a satellite bike while being heavily injured and most likely drugged up.
Believe it or not the satelitte RCV's are not that different from the factory RCV Pedrosa is riding, save for the adjustments made for his size. Melandri was also extended the offer to ride the 06 RCV but he declined.

Supposedly Ducati is interested in him and I imagine Yamaha would love to have him back too. If you can read Spanish (or decipher the gibberish that Babelfish produces) it talks a little bit about who Ducati is interested in. Hayden is high on the list, but then again he was high on their list a few years ago. Again, I doubt Hayden will go there because its a fair bet the 07 Honda will again be the best bike on the grid.

http://www.as.com/articulo/motor/Duc...sdaimot_6/Tes/

Quote:
Dunlop seriously needs to hurry up their tire development. Those Dunlops teams (D'Antin Ducati/Tech3 Yamaha) have good bikes, but the tires are just AWFUL! They are usually several seconds off race pace. If they figure something out soon, then those riders will hopefully place much better.
Dunlop could benefit from more teams running their bikes but Checa has actually been doing pretty well with them. He's finished in the top ten in the last 5 consecutive races. In the end the Dunlops could be doing even better if they were with a factory team, or even one of the satelitte Honda teams.

Quote:
Quick question about the 800cc bikes. Are they teams just going to develop new engines and more-or-less drop them into the current frames or will they be building entirely new machines from the ground up? I don't think Yamaha will build a "new" bike since that isn't really Burgess' style (he keeps things pretty simple). Honda seems to be testing lots of new parts so who knows with them. The new Duc looks identical minus the new tank and tail fairing. I think Suzuki will be building a new bike since the current GSV-R with pneumatic valves (F1 mumbo-jumbo?) sucks pretty hard.
Some concepts and design themes will stay the same but you'd best believe all of the factories will be building new bikes. With a 20% smaller engine they can make the frame more compact and it would be foolish of any of the manufacturers to not take advantage of this. You might see some of the privateers running last year's bikes though (except for Team KR).

Quote:
I can't wait for the season to end for all the juicy rumors to fly around. There should really be a racing magazine with rumors and stuff like all those celebrity magazines.
There's several, Road Racer X, Bike (UK), Performance Bikes (UK), RACER (UK), Road Racing World, T.W.O. (UK)
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:13 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittzo
Maybe HRC will. They did let rossi go. But they'd be crazy. I'm not a hayden fan, but he's got better every year. If he doesn't win the championship it'd be a miracle. all he has to do practically is finish.
They didn't let Rossi go so much as they didn't treat him the way he thinks he deserved to be treated. In the end they offered him all the money he wanted but he just didn't like the environment there and he wanted a new challenge. Not to mention the fact that he wanted to prove once and for all that he wasn't just winning because he had the best bike.

In a way it was a clash of egos. Rossi believed he was he best rider and HRC was winning because of him. HRC believes they are the best motorcycle racing organization and that they'd win with or without Rossi. They're both right, just that in 2004 and 2005 Rossi was more right than HRC.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 02:38 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Yeah, but all those magazines (RRX, Bike, TWO, etc) only have 5 pages or so dedicated to GP gossip and rumours. I wish there was an entire magazine just devoted to all that stuff.

Imagine US Weekly/People/OK! magazines with MotoGP/WSB riders instead of celebrities. How cool would that be?

Isn't it strange how well Checa is doing? I mean, he's been known to be a frequent crasher, but I don't think he has even crashed this year (well, maybe once at the most). I'm really proud of him. He actually waved at me at Laguna when he was riding in the back of that Miata!

Is Takahashi from 250cc GP or what? What does Honda do with the 7 Stars riders from Japan? Do they ever get to GPs?

I understand that Jacque already had his chance with Yamaha way back in 03 or so. But you mentioned that Dorna wanted a French rider by signing RdP, right? Well OJ is French and I think he'd be doing much better than RdP.

I really hope the champsionship heats up with the top 4 in the upcoming races. I really hope it's not just Hayden sailing to a championship
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:30 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aren
Yeah, but all those magazines (RRX, Bike, TWO, etc) only have 5 pages or so dedicated to GP gossip and rumours. I wish there was an entire magazine just devoted to all that stuff.

Imagine US Weekly/People/OK! magazines with MotoGP/WSB riders instead of celebrities. How cool would that be?
Eh, I think weekly would be too much but maybe a dedicated Moto GP magazine could be cool. Something similar to F1 Racing magazine maybe.

Quote:
Is Takahashi from 250cc GP or what? What does Honda do with the 7 Stars riders from Japan? Do they ever get to GPs?
Takahashi is a 250GP rider. Typically the riders on the 7 Stars Honda team for the 8 hours of Suzuka are Honda riders from different international series and Japanese Superbike. Daijiro Katoh, Rossi, Edwards, Nicky Hayden, Alex Barros, and Tohru Ukawa have all rode the Seven Stars factory Honda. So its more that the GP riders get the 7 Star ride rather then 7 Star riders getting a GP ride.

Quote:
I understand that Jacque already had his chance with Yamaha way back in 03 or so. But you mentioned that Dorna wanted a French rider by signing RdP, right? Well OJ is French and I think he'd be doing much better than RdP.
Maybe so, hard to say. At any rate I think everyone was rather surprised that DePuniet got a ride.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:16 PM
cvlighthouse

http://www.cyclenews.com/ is a weekely magazine that has a lot of GP info in it. Definatley worth the $40 a year asking price...
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:27 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse
http://www.cyclenews.com/ is a weekely magazine that has a lot of GP info in it. Definatley worth the $40 a year asking price...
Do you have a subscription? I remember seeing it at a 7-Eleven in LA when I was there for work but haven't seen it here on the East Coast since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page