USGP Tire talk - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
USGP Tire talk

First off, Who has riden the "new Laguna"?
I about 4 years ago when I last rode the track it was in pretty das shape but the main characteristics I had gorwn to love were still there, the high grip surface, the minor rough patches that would slow the pack, etc.

THe track has always been hard on tires, so I ask you is it still?

Rossi had tire issues, as is obviously show by the below pictures:

and

Now I must ask you, with a track known for being rough in the past and present (the inproperly cured concrete is peeling off in the braking and acceleration zones) Has a very high grip factor (brought on by the exact miwture of the surfacing) and the shear power and ability of the MotoGP machines and riders, I must ask:

Why did only Rossi have a tire failure?
Well he didn't, other riders either compensated for it or found a way to conserve their tires. There are many images out there that show this, but the one below is by far my favorite. This riders tire was just one step shy of completely peeling like Rossi's, but still his skills and ability to alter his riding style to suit the bike paid off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

And a little more info ya.
Colin Edwards complained about tires also.
It seems to be more of a setup issue a since Rossi, Edwards, Padrossa and Hayden all ran the same tire.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:50 AM

rossi was riding EFF'N hard the last few laps before his bike sharted on him. whereas hayden had rather consistent lap times. riding consistently vs. riding beyond hard would be my reason to rossi's tire vs. hayden's. im a n00b, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 AM

The report I heard was that SECA was still working on the track Thursday night before the practice sessions on Friday. Due to the hot weather the Moto GP racers complained that the AMA races were tearing apart the track in certain areas. I guess the tarmack was begining to seperate and that was the reason for the 4 hour wait of no one on the track until the Moto GP race. With really hot weather, certain parts of the track being rippled and seperated this was the main cause of the shredded tires.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 05:08 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

My photographer took a picture at turn 5 I think. And it looked like a 4 inch hole had developed over the whole weekend I'll post pics when I get home
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 06:18 PM

Rossi is the one guy who can ride a bike to it's limit -- and then a bit beyond. He's the only rider I know of to have these kinds of failures. It wasn't his tire that caused him problems though, it was blowing his motor.

If you notice on that picture of Hayden and Roberts, Hayden's tire is looking pretty bad too.

No excuses though. The track was terrible and the people responsible for repaving it should have to pay the track back for their shotty work.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Moto GP Racer

well, the rossi said that the engine falure was because it overheated, because he had to slow down, because of the tire problem. so yeah, and my opinion is a combination of the above. i think the yamaha's set up was hard on tires, AND that rossi was pushing to hard in the final laps trying to get on the box.

GET YOUR TICKETS TO THE RED BULL INDIANAPOLIS GP!! go to www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com or call (800) 822-INDY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page