Planning for the 2007 US Grand Prix - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Planning for the 2007 US Grand Prix

With SCRAMP announcing the tenative dates for the US Grand Prix, is it too early to make hotel reservations? How were the hotels near Cannery Row?

John

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that
you are wicked.
Epictetus

www.johnomoto.com
Sports and Event Photography
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Super Mod Wanna-be

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
From what I've heard if you were to make reservations now they'll take it away durring the GP and sell out the room for quadruple what you reserved it for.

New England AWD - www.neawd.com~
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMIMOTO
From what I've heard if you were to make reservations now they'll take it away durring the GP and sell out the room for quadruple what you reserved it for.
That sucks cuz I'm in the same boat. I'm definitely going next year.

However, I've heard from campers that it's only $50 a day to camp it out there. I may consider doing that. I love to camp.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 12:15 AM
OG

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i did reservatioons a year in advance for this years gp, but it wasnt on canery row... santa cruz and the motel 6 on reservation rd

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:00 AM

I camped this year, and it was great. No traffic to deal with, first to the corkscrew everyday, always had cold drinks in my cooler. there's even a shower truck and real bathrooms with sinks so you can be civilized. No waiting for buses on sunday afternoon!

If we (my wife and I) go again next year we'll camp for sure.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:03 AM
OG

ill saty at the motel 6 and somewhere really close to or on canery row

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 09:34 AM
The ULTIMATE 1 Upper

I stayed in Carmel which is about 15 mintes from the track and about 5 minutes from Cannery and it was GREEEEEAAAAAAAAT!!! The ambience is AMAZING!!! If by choice, that would be the place to stay for me again!

A wise man once said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
It aint that easy to depart once u are in you are in for life regardless of what u ride
...And that's why I'm still here! :01_thumbu
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Holiday Inn Express is taking reservations via phone

I started looking around online and found that none of the hotels aside from the Hyatt were taking reservations for that weekend. So I called the Holiday Inn express directly just to see if they would take a reservation, the woman who answered took all my info and gave me a confirmation number. I just verified the reservation in the Holiday Inn system this morning. The price ain't pretty at $870 for three nights but I figure I'll be a block away from Cannery Row and I have a reservation number to work with.

John

you are wicked.
Epictetus

www.johnomoto.com
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 02:11 AM

2 questons..

1. are tickets on sale yet? how about the paddock passes?
2. wehn you camp, do you camp AT the track?

my gf and I are gonna drive down from canada. we're driving cuz i wanna bring my bike down
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 03:17 AM
Nemesis

If you guys can tell us noobs how much it cost you (hotel, motel, food--during/after hours, etc.) that would really help us plan out what we need to bring or plan.

TIA
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
If you guys can tell us noobs how much it cost you (hotel, motel, food--during/after hours, etc.) that would really help us plan out what we need to bring or plan.

TIA
+1. Can some of those who have been help a few canadians out?

Are the tickets on sale now? Where do i get them? where do i camp? what sorts of things do i need to bring?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 11:56 AM

Tron, I've been both years, and this year I rode my bike down there. I spent just over $2000 american for the entire trip. We rode there in 5 days, and then we took 4 days to get home and we stayed in the area 4 nights. Total was 11 nights in hotels and I went with my friend, so we split the cost of hotels, he paid one night, me the next. I took $500 cash, for food and stuff at the track, and then used my visa for all the hotels, and gas and such. We booked our hotel in Gilroy, CA which is about 45 minutes from the track, but the cost was I think $70 per night apposed to over $300 in Monterey or Marina. If you dont mind the smell of garlic, stay in Gilroy, but if you can afford it, I would say go to Monterey, the atmosphere there is just awesome, and its not like that in Gilroy. Hope this helps, let me know if you need to know something else
NICK
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Tickets go on sale to the public Nov 1,2006.
Keep an eye on the Laguna Seca Website for more info: http://www.laguna-seca.com/tickets.
Camping is always gonna be cheaper than getting a hotel. In the prime areas you actually get to set up overlooking the racetrack. Hotels nearest the track are about 500-900 for the weekend.
Tickets for the entire event range from 90 for three day general admission to 560 for the VIP lounge overlooking pit row. These are not included with the camping reservation. The paddock pass is 40 and allows you access to the behind scene action. I personally think SCRAMP sold too many of them. The GP paddock area had crowd control barriers so the riders and crews could get through the crowds easier. Since Rossi's pit was near the paddock entrance no one could get through to the other riders.
Water was $4 a bottle which is BS since water should never cost more than a $1. Food runs about $4-12 for fast food type stuff.

John

you are wicked.
Epictetus

www.johnomoto.com

Last edited by UPS757pf; 08-12-2006 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelliot600rr
Tron, I've been both years, and this year I rode my bike down there. I spent just over $2000 american for the entire trip. We rode there in 5 days, and then we took 4 days to get home and we stayed in the area 4 nights. Total was 11 nights in hotels and I went with my friend, so we split the cost of hotels, he paid one night, me the next. I took $500 cash, for food and stuff at the track, and then used my visa for all the hotels, and gas and such. We booked our hotel in Gilroy, CA which is about 45 minutes from the track, but the cost was I think $70 per night apposed to over $300 in Monterey or Marina. If you dont mind the smell of garlic, stay in Gilroy, but if you can afford it, I would say go to Monterey, the atmosphere there is just awesome, and its not like that in Gilroy. Hope this helps, let me know if you need to know something else
NICK

thanks for some of the info. If you dont mind, id like to bother your for more info as time goes on. If tickets go on sale Nov. 1, im gonna grab mine asap.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS757pf
Tickets go on sale to the public Nov 1,2006.
Keep an eye on the Laguna Seca Website for more info: http://www.laguna-seca.com/tickets.
Camping is always gonna be cheaper than getting a hotel. In the prime areas you actually get to set up overlooking the racetrack. Hotels nearest the track are about 500-900 for the weekend.
Tickets for the entire event range from 90 for three day general admission to 560 for the VIP lounge overlooking pit row. These are not included with the camping reservation. The paddock pass is 40 and allows you access to the behind scene action. I personally think SCRAMP sold too many of them. The GP paddock area had crowd control barriers so the riders and crews could get through the crowds easier. Since Rossi's pit was near the paddock entrance no one could get through to the other riders.
Water was $4 a bottle which is BS since water should never cost more than a $1. Food runs about $4-12 for fast food type stuff.

So you actually camp AT the track?

what is the better experience, not taking the money factor into account. camping or hotel? i assume there must be some pretty good nightlife there. Any thoughts?

is the VIP lounge worth it? what do you get extra for that? I have no problem throwing down $600 for a weekend if its worth it

Im definitely going to get the paddock passes. I assume that just lets me walk around the garages and such. ist aht true?
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelliot600rr
NICK

Hey Nick, I see you're in Calgary, AB. Im in Winnipeg, MB. If you're serious about going again in 2007, we should get in touch. My gf wants to go, so we were thinking about trailering my bike down, and riding to and from the GP cuz i hear motorcycles get preferential treatment. Of course, if she doesnt go, i'll ride the whole way down. Anyhow, shoot me a PM. we can help each other save some cash, and its always cool to meet fellow riders.

troy
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Yeah you actually camp at the track. Depends on what type of experience you want. Camping is cool for me nothin better than sitting around a fire tellin' story gettin' plastered. However there is the cannery row experience which is a total circus. There are other VIP appointments available such as the Flagroom,Laguna Club, Turn 2 and Turn 3 suites. The Pit Row lounge happens to be the highest priced ticket SCRAMP sells. All VIP tickets come with parking, breakfast, snacks, lunch, unlimited beverages, a program and paddock pass. I can't remember if the Flagroom and Laguna club have aircon, but most definitely the PitRow lounge does. You wont be able to get into the garages with a paddock pass unless you're invited.

John

you are wicked.
Epictetus

www.johnomoto.com
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 07:15 PM

I think this thread needs to be stickied....get some good info here for all those people like me who are planning on making the trip for 2007
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 10:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

well to help out anyone, i spent about $600 all together. thats including hotel, food, drink, etc...for next year i'm surprized that some hotels are already booked for that weekend. i think the cheapest i found was about $179 a night around carmel. lil too much for my budget. i ended up booking a reservation at the motel 6 in salinas (which is about 15-20 mins from laguna and bout 30-35 from monterey) for about $250 for 4 night. couldnt beat that price considering that some hotel in moterey are changing that amount for one night. oh one more thing, that vip thing i have ppl have tickets for that on the lil stretch over looking from turn 4 to turn 5 and i heard that it was hot, no ac, the drinks were warm and the restrooms were muggy and the water to wash ur hands was really hot to the touch but then again maybe some improvments will be made for next year

"Mi SCUSI"
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 12:05 AM

If you get reservations...>PAY IN ADVANCE and make sure you have a RECEIPT stating that that is all you will pay...then they can't jack you on price or sell out the room and refund you because you've already paid. If they do...SUE EM.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 12:05 PM

Tron, check out this website http://www.revoluzione.com/ this is who I travelled with this year, its a motorcycle dealership in calgary, and they setup the huge ride, and they had a Trackside Chalet that was right beside the finish line. It was so sweet, and if you decide you want to do that, their package includes your hotel accomodations in Monterey, and the Paddock Passes, General Admission, and all the things at the track.... food, drinks, and stuff like that. It beats the **** out of staying in the hot sun, and for me, I think it was way to hot to camp, like in the 40's everyday for sure, but maybe I'm just not used to heat like that...
also check out the website onewheeldrive.net, those guys came with us too, and thats the scenery where we got to ride.... best roads I've ever been on!
NICK
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 04:16 PM

We have our room reserved for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. The whole family is going this time. Praying for better weather!

In the future though, can we have a better date please SCRAMP and Dorna?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 01:55 PM

I just tried to reserve for the Holiday Inn express on Cannery Row, and got no availability.
I tried searching for rooms on cheaphotels and travelocity, but it was too far in advance.
So I tried Holiday Inn again and got a reservation at the one on Reservation Road. $129/night for Thursday, $159 for Friday and Saturday. If I change my mind I have to cancel before July 17, 2007.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron
So you actually camp AT the track?

what is the better experience, not taking the money factor into account. camping or hotel? i assume there must be some pretty good nightlife there. Any thoughts?

is the VIP lounge worth it? what do you get extra for that? I have no problem throwing down $600 for a weekend if its worth it

Im definitely going to get the paddock passes. I assume that just lets me walk around the garages and such. ist aht true?
If you purchase a package it'll be worth it.
VIP is excellent as you are right on the track and get to view/walk the garages from the hot pit side - as scheduled in your package.

This past GP I had no problem getting in and out of the track at will. Though I camp at the track every year, the way the traffic was set up for this past GP worked great when it came to getting in and out to attend parties.

With camping at the track the most I spend for the weekend - Wed through Mon - is around $600 and that includes my tickets and package ( Flagroom ).

When it comes time to buy the tickets, I'd set up the phone for quick dial and continue to "redial" until you get an answer. Don't hang up if you're put on hold, you'll go back to the bottom of the line.

All packages include Pit Pass, and those are better than gold. But if you don't buy a package make sure you get the Pit Pass.

People that bought tickets for this past GP will get first dibs on the same for 07 GP, if they choose not to buy them, they loose them permanently.

So for those of you that choose not to go next year, buy them anyway and then sell them. You may want to go some other time.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS757pf
Yeah you actually camp at the track. Depends on what type of experience you want. Camping is cool for me nothin better than sitting around a fire tellin' story gettin' plastered. However there is the cannery row experience which is a total circus. There are other VIP appointments available such as the Flagroom,Laguna Club, Turn 2 and Turn 3 suites. The Pit Row lounge happens to be the highest priced ticket SCRAMP sells. All VIP tickets come with parking, breakfast, snacks, lunch, unlimited beverages, a program and paddock pass. I can't remember if the Flagroom and Laguna club have aircon, but most definitely the PitRow lounge does. You wont be able to get into the garages with a paddock pass unless you're invited.
you're right, you can't get into the garages with a pit pass, but you can walk the garage alley and catch the riders as they walk from their trailers to the garages.

Flagroom get breakfast, lunch, all drinks, is located between T4 and T5, Pit Pass, program and your choice of T4 and T11 grandstand seats.

It's the package I've had since 2001
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:32 PM

great info! thanks

is there anywhere i can find a link to these packages?
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron
great info! thanks

is there anywhere i can find a link to these packages?
http://www.laguna-seca.com/pressrele...dex.cfm?ID=253

http://www.redbullusgrandprix.com/#s=home

If you want actual ticket info, you'll have to call Scramp, see the first link.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:19 AM

We stay at the Montery Bay Inn on the Cannery Row every year. We tried to reserve a year ahead and they aren't booking until Feb. Last year they tried some Bull [email protected] when you tried to book ahead. They wanted the full room charge up front, no cancelations, and you had to pay for 4 nights. Bunch of crap. Buyer beware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page