Hayden claims first pole of 2006! - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
crotch_rocket_pilot

Hayden claims first pole of 2006!

PHILLIP ISLAND, Australia (AFP) - World championship leader Nicky Hayden will be aiming to go one better in Sunday's Australian MotoGP after claiming his second consecutive pole position for the race.

The American Repsol Honda racer posted the fastest lap time of one minute 29.020 seconds to start on the inside of the front row of the grid and give himself every chance of extending his championship lead going into the final three races of the season.

It was Hayden's first pole of the season and fourth overall yet he went into last year's corresponding Phillip Island race fastest qualifier only to finish runner-up to Valentino Rossi, who went on to claim his fifth MotoGP world title.

Hayden will be hunting for his third MotoGP win of the season after triumphs in the Netherlands and his home American race.

"That Michelin (tyre) qualifier worked so good and my bike felt awesome for that one lap, though it doesn't count for anything other than a really good grid position," Hayden said.

"We've changed everything on the bike to try and get some grip -- we've still got some work to do if we want to do 27 laps in tomorrow's race."

Rossi, trailing Hayden by 26 points, will start his Yamaha bike in the third slot on the front row after clocking 1:29.271 sandwiching Japan's Kawasaki rider Shinya Nakano, who claimed the second best time of 1:29.258 in qualifying.

The flamboyant Italian, chasing his sixth Australian MotoGP win, is making a late-season charge to retain his world title after winning last weekend's Malaysian race in which Hayden finished fourth.

"Because of the cooler temperatures here we are finding it hard to get heat into the rear tyre and we struggled again a bit today, which is why I had to leave it so late before trying for the fast time on the qualifying tyre," Rossi said.

"We still have some work to do on the race setting but with the qualifying tyre the grip was there and I was able to go third fastest."

Nakano said the hard work of Kawasaki's winter testing on the Phillip Island circuit was rewarded in Saturday's qualifying.

"From the data of that testing we have improved to the point where (team-mate) Randy (De Puniet) and I were able to come here and be straight on the pace," Nakano said.

Hayden's Spanish team-mate Dani Pedrosa, second on the world standings, will start from the third row of the grid after posting the 10th fastest time of 1:30.081.

It has been a testing weekend for the 20-year-old Spaniard, who has been taking painkillers for a gashed knee injured in a track fall in Malaysia.

"The bike set-up is not bad, although we still have to decide on the right Michelin race tires," Pedrosa said. "I don't know yet if I'll have painkillers. I prefer not to but it may be necessary."

Italian Ducati rider Loris Capirossi, a close second behind Rossi in Malaysia and fourth on the standings, was 13th quickest with 1:30.393.

"I had a problem with the gearbox in my number one bike and I had to wait while my second bike was prepared for a qualifying run, but I am positive because I know we have a chance to do well tomorrow," Capirossi said.

American Kenny Roberts Jnr, who won the world 500cc title in 2000, will start on the outside of the front row after his fourth-best time of 1:29.662.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 08:00 PM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
Congrats to Hayden. Its hard to beleive that the current points leader is barely getting his first pole.

I hope he has a good race, but I'm still rooting for The Doctor!!!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
go nicky! i hope he can take this one and give himself a better cushion for the final races

2006 CBR 600RR v.2 (picked up 08/18/2007)
2006 CBR 600RR v.1 (lowsided 07/22/07 @ appx. 9:55am)
1996 Honda Prelude VTEC
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan (R.I.P. 12/22/2010)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Nicky's interview after QP
http://videoxx.moxxtoxxgp.com/ppv_mu...86137_6230.wmv

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 10:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco
Congrats to Hayden. Its hard to beleive that the current points leader is barely getting his first pole.

I hope he has a good race, but I'm still rooting for The Doctor!!!
Yeah totally ! ! ! . I "BELIEVE" (correct spelling Disco) the master will stalk whomever's leading then simply check out.

Always passing Gixxer's on the outside ! ! ! . . . .

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 PM
cvlighthouse

I'd like to see hayden up on the box. In the middle preferably.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 10:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yes yes yes!! if hey wins its on!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
& they're saying the EVO RC211V is an inferior bike compared to the standard ('05) RC211V's ridden by Robotface, Melandri, Elias, Tamada, Stoner but look who's on pole right now so the EVO RC211V has got some speed in it, if Hayden blows this race up he doesn't have any excuses like the bike is out of steam etc etc.

if CEII is Captain Chatter then NH is Colonel Clutch. :D

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page