Expletive Deleted: Rossi's Rules ( He Got away with passing on a Yellow Flag ) - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Expletive Deleted: Rossi's Rules ( He Got away with passing on a Yellow Flag )

Expletive Deleted: Rossi's Rules
by dean adams
Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Judging by his body language during the incident, Nicky Hayden saw it, and even MotoGP's English-speaking announcers saw it, because they talked about it on the telecast, and on the Internet broadcast. So, I mean, please, shag the feigned ignorance act already, okay?Flags Which Convey Information and Instructions: Yellow Flag

Shown waved at each row of the starting grid, this flag indicates that the start of the race is delayed.

Shown waved at the flag marshal post, this flag indicates that there is a danger ahead. The riders must slow down and be prepared to stop. Overtaking is forbidden up until the point where the green flag is shown.

Any Infringement of this rule during a practice session will result in the cancellation of the time of the lap during which the infraction occurred. In case of infringement of this rule during the race, the rider must go back the number of positions decided by the Race Direction. The penalty will be first communicated to the team and then a board will be displayed for the rider on the finish line during a maximum of 3 laps. If the rider did not go back after the board has been presented 3 times, he will be penalized by a ride through.

In both cases, further penalties (such as fine - suspension) may also be imposed.

If immediately after having overtaken, the rider realizes that he did an infraction, he must raise his hand and let pass the rider(s) that he has overtaken. In this case, no penalty will be imposed. -- FIM MotoGP rule book.

Ah yes, another Monday, another surfing trip over to the FIM web site to download the MotoGP rule book to see which rule the MotoGP stewards can't seem to grasp or didn't foresee happening this week.

Welcome to MotoGP racing 2006, folks, a series that shows exactly how far we haven't come in the last twenty years. To refresh: Sepang, because of a torrential downpour (one might now term it a 'convenient torrential downpour') which made the sanctioning body form the grid for the race from practice times, something very clearly not allowed by their very own rules. Conspiracy theories abound about how or why this was done.

Now, for the latest escapade in creative rules enforcement, let's have a look at last Sunday's Australian Grand Prix. The flow chart for the incident in question went something like this: a rider crashed on the circuit; yellow flags were shown on the circuit which was wet and certainly had limited visibility; in a corner where the corner worker was waving a yellow flag, Valentino Rossi very clearly passed Casey Stoner on the entrance of the corner, and held the position as the pair (with Nakano and Hayden behind them) rode out of the corner.

As I understand it, rule books are written and published both in fallen tree and electronic form so that policies and procedures that concern the series will be known to all, and will be the basis for both awarding and penalizing riders.

The people in MotoGP race direction are presumably professionals, men who had made their living in the pinnacle of motorcycle racing for decades before I came into this gig in the late 1980s. Yet they work from a rule book so riddled with holes any decent American club race rule book might put to shame in terms of accuracy, rules and procedure. So, if the highly implausible story that they didn't see Rossi's pass is in reality true, that actually doesn't disturb me the most. What frightens me the most is that these vision-impaired people actually drive cars on public roads.A little known portion of the passing under a yellow flag rule is that if a rider mistakenly passes another rider in a situation like that, he can redeem himself by raising his hand and allowing the passed rider by him, to regain the position. This is not a paddock secret, it's actually in the MotoGP rule book. It reads: If immediately after having overtaken, the rider realizes that he did an infraction, he must raise his hand and let pass the rider(s) that he has overtaken. In this case, no penalty will be imposed.

I have yet to see any footage of Rossi raising his hand and allowing Stoner past him to redeem his illegal pass. From the footage supplied to me by Speed (the same footage shown to everyone in the US by Speed) Rossi never raised either hand, and Stoner, who was racing mind you, tried to re-pass Rossi at one point, and brought his Honda astride Rossi's Yamaha, but he never made the gap, or any gap back that he had before the pass until later in the race.

Hey, for the record, I'm not a Rossi hater by any means. I saw him race a 125 and (in another life) was the first editor to put him on the cover of a US motorcycle magazine. I think the same things most people believe about Rossi, supporters and detractors alike: he's supremely talented, he may very well be the best motorcycle racer we've ever seen, his love of motorcycling and racing is refreshing for a person of his stature. But that doesn't mean he gets a free ride as per the MotoGP rule book.

The defense of Rossi in this incident seems to be based on these two points:

<LI>He didn't see the flag.

<LI>Stoner later re-passed him, which Rossi has indicated fulfills the passee going back in front of the passer rule.

Thankfully, this is why they publish rule books, actually, and don't just have a bunch of loose rules hanging about that can later be interpreted based on circumstances or what nationality the rider is that's currently breaking them or the current championship standings. The fact that he may not have seen the yellow flag is immaterial. The rule Rossi broke actually reads "overtaking is forbidden" not "overtaking is permitted only if the riders don't see the yellow flag".

If Stoner did re-pass Rossi, it was on a portion of the course that was green—while they were racing. Stoner made a racing pass on Rossi. Rossi certainly didn't follow the rule book-outlined procedure for absolving his illegal pass: he never raised his hand, and didn't allow for Stoner to easily re-pass him. So lets end that song and dance right now.

Rossi has also said that he doesn't think he should be penalized because "it was a difficult race" which I translate to mean that because of the dry then wet conditions it was a difficult race, or that because the flagger had been acting erratically that weekend that some riders were mostly ignoring him. Interesting points, no doubt; but in terms of the actual published rules, actually quite moot. There was a yellow flag, he passed while the flag was shown. End of story, honestly, time to move on to penalty phase.

MotoGP's race direction (possible oxymoron alert level now red) supposedly said that the reason no penalty was leveled at Rossi was because Stoner later passed Rossi. Which brings an obvious question: are there any actual rule books around for reference when "race direction" has to make a decision? Because the procedure is clearly outlined in their very own rule book. Rossi would have to raise his hand, allow Stoner past and then the illegal pass is forgiven. That never happened.

TO BE CONTINUED

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Last edited by Moeman; 09-20-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

Then, later, it was reported that MotoGP's race direction actually didn't see the illegal pass. Which I find quite interesting, because I think any half-awake fan watching it on television could clearly see Rossi's pass and the cornerworker in the background waving a yellow flag, and if you haven't, there's roughly nine-million screen grabs of the moment in question floating around the net. Judging by his body language during the incident, Nicky Hayden saw it, and even MotoGP's English-speaking announcers saw it, because they talked about it on the televsion telecast here in the US, and on the Internet broadcast. So, I mean, please, shag the feigned ignorance act already, okay? Yes, I am from Minnesota, which means I'm as gullible as they come, but you can't tell me that multiple persons in race control watching multiple screens in race control didn't see the illegal pass, and if that unlikely event actually happened, that they were not alerted by others on site as to the transgression.

That they say that they didn't see the illegal pass, but seem to indicate that they did see the all-is-forgiven Rossi yielding the position move and re-pass by Stoner, which never happened by the way, is something so diabolically wrong that I can't even bring myself to think about it for fear that if I do, my head will literally explode.

The people in MotoGP race direction are presumably professionals, men who had made their living in the pinnacle of motorcycle racing for decades before I came into this gig in the late 1980s. Yet they work from a rule book so riddled with holes any decent American club race rule book would put it to shame in terms of accuracy, rules and procedure. So, if the highly implausible story that they didn't see Rossi's pass is in reality true, that actually doesn't disturb me the most. What frightens me the most is that these vision-impaired people actually drive cars on public roads. LOOK OUT!

Gee, you don't actually think a group of Europeans in the paddock don't want Nick Hayden to win the championship simply because of his nationality and are orchestrating all of this ballyhoo, do you? It's no secret that Americans are not the most popular group of people outside of the USA. I'm not sure if it's because of the damage we did to popular music, dance and fashion in the disco era, or because our women are much better looking than women from other countries, or the foreign policy of the current administration, but it's not really breaking news that some people don't like Americans. No, that can't be what happening here.

The latest wet band-aid thrown at this situation by those in power is that because the incident happened in the race, that the rule book states the punishment for passing under a yellow must be taken in the race, and if it doesn't, well, too bad, then there can be no penalty. Sad deal, sorry Nick, better luck next time. Or, um, next year. This highly convenient hypothesis is in the rule book, they say, where it reads under the yellow flag section :In case of infringement of this rule during the race, the rider must go back the number of positions decided by the Race Direction. The penalty will be first communicated to the team and then a board will be displayed for the rider on the finish line during a maximum of 3 laps. If the rider did not go back after the board has been presented 3 times, he will be penalized by a ride through.

To people that believe this, that the above supports the 'must penalize during race' supposition, I will say this: that money you're saving for law school—go ahead and spend it. Blow it on a new sport bike or dames or a week in Vegas, because I have feeling you're going to be getting your ass thrown or blown out of court—a lot. Saying that passage means the punishment must only happen in the race is an interesting interpretation...but, say, what about the last line of that section which reads In both cases, further penalties (such as fine - suspension) may also be imposed.. the phrase "further penalties" really opens a door, doesn't it? If the sanctioning body were to fine or suspend someone over a yellow flag infringment, they might do so after the race. In fact, there's probably past examples of them doing so after a race. Hence, the statements that they can't now penalize Rossi because it's after the race are simply wrong. If they can fine him or suspend him after the race, then they can easily bounce him back a few positions under the further penalties portion of the rule book, presumably even today. How much time would a ride through penalty at Phillip Island take? Anybody? A minute? Half a minute?

Well, I'm just not going to offer loads of criticism and moral assassination in this opinion column, I will actually offer a suggestion to those in power. Next time, instead of building an explanation on what some feel is a foundation of, at best, incompetence, perhaps you might consider actually relying on your decades of experience in racing and simply analyze the situation: It was a wet-ish track with mist and rain in the air—hence it was hard for the riders to see; Rossi made the pass in the corner on the inside; the presumably Australian corner worker was on the other side of the apex of the corner, waving the flag while standing on the far side and behind the actual large corner station structure. (Was he flagging from the correct spot as outlined in the rule book? Because the guy in the flag station/observation area who would be clearly seen by the riders had no flag.) Rossi probably never saw the yellow flag—absolve him of personal guilt, but not from breaking the actual rule. Either during the race or afterwards, with an actual fact as your foundation, all you had to do was penalize Rossi by removing time from his race and then change the results if need be.

End of story.

End of need to construct highly suspect excuses that even first year fans have a hard time believing.

Honesty is, after all, the best policy.

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeh EFF Rossi!! What an arrogant ass! j/k Nice post.

Last edited by Moeman; 09-20-2006 at 08:15 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:55 PM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Good job, Moe. That's probably some of the best (and funniest) commentary on this incident yet. You should write for a moto rag. :)

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12
Good job, Moe. That's probably some of the best (and funniest) commentary on this incident yet. You should write for a moto rag. :)
I wish i could write that good in case you have not noticed
moeman is not the writer Dean Adams is

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 AM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Oh! Sorry. By the way, remember back in July 2003? When Rossi was on a Honda and passed under a yellow flag at the British GP. Guess what they did AFTER the end of the race? They docked Rossi 10 seconds, which put him in third place instead of first. So, they've done it in the past. What's holding them up now?

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 AM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

That would put him squarely in 6th or 7th place...

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Hooked on Phonics

damn moe your fingers must have been sore after writing that lol.....good post by the way

NO BRAINS NO HEADACHE
The edge... theres no honest way to explain it, because thoes who know where it is have gone over..
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12
Oh! Sorry. By the way, remember back in July 2003? When Rossi was on a Honda and passed under a yellow flag at the British GP. Guess what they did AFTER the end of the race? They docked Rossi 10 seconds, which put him in third place instead of first. So, they've done it in the past. What's holding them up now?
Back then it was noticed right away this time it was not noticed
(yeah right ) so they say just be rest assured karma will make it even
one way or another

When i was watching the race i saw it clearly so did my buddy who is
a Yamaha / Rossi supporter and both of us were like WTF this aint right

Last edited by Moeman; 09-21-2006 at 12:12 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:52 AM

I went back and looked at the tape. That waving yellow flag was CLEARLY VISIBLE...

Rossi has no excuse.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 AM
World Superbike Racer

OMG!!! I totally forgot about the Sepang incident!!!! Just more proof that DORNA is working its a$$ off to make sure Rossi wins.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiddy
OMG!!! I totally forgot about the Sepang incident!!!! Just more proof that DORNA is working its a$$ off to make sure Rossi wins.
evreything is possible there is a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes as well

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:48 AM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Shoot, Rossi is their money maker. It's like Schuemacher. You can't let your money getter and fan supporters be uprooted; uprooted much less by an American, Nicky Hayden! Let Capirossi and Melandri win all they want. Melandri and Pedrosa are clear successors to the crown. Not this year. Whoa, wait a second, where did Nicky come from? We thought after giving him rookie of the year he would fade off into bolivia (as Mike Tyson would say). Better give him a crappy clutch just to keep him honest. Oooh, let the conspiracy begin!

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Superbike racer

What a bunch of whiners. Dorna doesn't want the Redneck (I mean Kentucky) Kid to win, His own team doesn't want him to win, HRC doesn't want him to win, Vizsladog doesn't want him to win. Nobody but Earl wants him to win.....

CCS EX#100
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:30 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

^LOL you forgot about Visitor Q,lol (wonder what the Q is for, jk).
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:56 AM

Thanks for posting that cuz. It was an excellent read.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:34 AM

If rossi wins the championship it will have to be more than 5 points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page