HRC committed to make Hayden World Champ - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
HRC committed to make Hayden World Champ

After Honda was able to hoist their 17th World Championship Constructors Title, one more than MV Agusta, and wrestling it away from Yamaha, HRC Managing Director, Satoru Horiike, stated that Honda's next focus was giving Nicky Hayden his first world title this season. "We are proud of our victory, particularly as we took it at home. Now, the individiual rider title is our number one priority," said Horiike.

As many of us Hayden fans have expressed with much grief, it appears that HRC is going to be putting extra effort to help Hayden win the top prize in two wheeled racing. Hayden was found to be the only one left testing in Motegi including some rain tests. We are about 15 days from Portugal with two races left in this exciting MotoGP season. Hayden currently sits 12 points ahead of reigning World Champion, Valentino Rossi.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NICKY run wild bro

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 02:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow, they finally shifted their focus with 2 races left and the title hanging in the balance

got a link for the article sooperman?

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 02:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

Well it's about time. Gonna be a tough 2 races for Nicky.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
go nicky..race hard and bring it home!...hopefully he gets what he needs from HRC

2006 CBR 600RR v.2 (picked up 08/18/2007)
2006 CBR 600RR v.1 (lowsided 07/22/07 @ appx. 9:55am)
1996 Honda Prelude VTEC
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan (R.I.P. 12/22/2010)
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 02:30 PM

Well, that's dramatic :) Why couldn't they get behind him from day one?

Let's hope they have the clutch issue resolved. Been a while since he's had a podium finish. It started after Laguna when they changed the clutch. Just give him Pedrosa's bike and let him ride :)
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 02:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

What do you think they've been doing the rest of the season? Drinking sake and developing parts for the Goldwing?

Truth is they are probably going to stop developing parts for the other RCV's and probably will take some attention off the 800 to make sure they're in tip top shape for the last two races.

Unfortunately I think the testing rules will prevent Nicky from testing the bike again until Portugal.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
well as long as their focus is on finishing strong and hopefully winning it all for nicky then thats good

2006 CBR 600RR v.2 (picked up 08/18/2007)
2006 CBR 600RR v.1 (lowsided 07/22/07 @ appx. 9:55am)
1996 Honda Prelude VTEC
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan (R.I.P. 12/22/2010)
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Honda-and-Repsol-Honda-crowned-at-Motegi-~cid~6~id~137874.htm

"As Honda we are very proud of the 2006 constructors' championship victory and particularly happy that we reached our goal at our home track of Twin Ring Motegi," said Satoru Horiike, managing director of Honda Racing Corporation. "Now we must concentrate all our energy on winning the riders' championship title."

Honda has lost the riders' championship to its former star Valentino Rossi for the past two seasons, but Hayden will take a slender 12 point lead over Rossi into the final two rounds of the 2006 championship, at Estoril and Valencia.

"Now we have won the constructors' title and the teams' title but we cannot party because our biggest target is to win the riders' championship," confirmed Repsol Honda team manager Makoto Tanaka. "So we will be working as hard as possible for this in the next races."

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
exactly as I predicted immediately after the Motegi race.

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

I think their attitudes have changed since Dani finished last at Sepang and 9th/10th at Motegi. I think Dani is 36-some points from Hayden. So, who's got the best chance? I think HRC decided it's Hayden. Time to step it up a notch!

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12
I think their attitudes have changed since Dani finished last at Sepang and 9th/10th at Motegi. I think Dani is 36-some points from Hayden. So, who's got the best chance? I think HRC decided it's Hayden. Time to step it up a notch!
Exactly. When Pedrosa fell off the pace in Australia his chances for a championship fell as well.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Imagine where Nicky would be if they had decided this at the beginning of the season.

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
Imagine where Nicky would be if they had decided this at the beginning of the season.
about 70 points ahead of Rossi.

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 07:24 PM

Nicky has been on the test bike this year by his own choosing. But he can't aford any bad starts the last three races. It seems like a crap shoot whether HRC will fix the clutch issues. Melandri has been on the pace all year with last year's bike and Pedrosa has been fast on it for most of the year.

Would it be a good move to switch to the proven RC211V at this point? Or would he be giving up too much with a move like that?
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh600RR
Nicky has been on the test bike this year by his own choosing. But he can't aford any bad starts the last three races. It seems like a crap shoot whether HRC will fix the clutch issues. Melandri has been on the pace all year with last year's bike and Pedrosa has been fast on it for most of the year.

Would it be a good move to switch to the proven RC211V at this point? Or would he be giving up too much with a move like that?
I would like to see him on a copy of Pedrosa's bike which is an upgraded version of Melandri's and Stoner's. But if they can resolve the clutch issue he should stay on the EVO as he'll comfy on it.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
Huh??? Maybe that would make sense if Honda only had one bike in Moto GP, didn't bother doing any development for the 800cc bike and didn't develop parts for superbike and supersport racing.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Lifetime Premium

well at least they didn't wait till it really got serious
oh wait...

the whole clutch thing just really pisses me off big time, they could pop in a proven clutch any time they want but would rather let nicky use the one they are developing until they get it right, which they know they haven't done yet. Of course I guess when your a small factory like Honda that doesn't have any test riders or test tracks
oh wait...

just seems like massively bad business to make your lead rider who is leading the championship use a clutch they haven't worked the bugs out of yet, what dumbass thought up that plan? and its not like they don't know by race time its not fixed, they have 2 days of practice and qualifying to figure out that its not any better.

HRC just does some stupid things imo

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

It's not so much that the clutch isn't "proven" as it is the location of the clutch causes it to fail. It's no longer located on the right side, but stacked on the left side where apparently there is more heat generation. That heat causes the clutch to somehow slip. The technicalities of it all are unclear to me, but since moving the clutch on the new motor (after Laguna), they've been having problems. I don't know why they don't just give him back the Laguna motor. Oh wait, it's a new frame too... Dang. It's like sin -- it's a slippery slope. Once you get going, it's hard to go back.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Post Whore Extraordinaire

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
well its about damn time. sh!t

No more mod listing, shits is STILL too long

03 600RR > 04 1000RR > 06 R6V > 05 600RR > 06 R1 > 09 1000RR > 10 RSV4R :gun:
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:15 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce101t
well at least they didn't wait till it really got serious
oh wait...

the whole clutch thing just really pisses me off big time, they could pop in a proven clutch any time they want but would rather let nicky use the one they are developing until they get it right, which they know they haven't done yet. Of course I guess when your a small factory like Honda that doesn't have any test riders or test tracks
oh wait...

just seems like massively bad business to make your lead rider who is leading the championship use a clutch they haven't worked the bugs out of yet, what dumbass thought up that plan? and its not like they don't know by race time its not fixed, they have 2 days of practice and qualifying to figure out that its not any better.

HRC just does some stupid things imo
I think you're grossly misunderstanding how things work in series like Formula 1 and Moto GP (and to a lesser extent Le Mans). These series have a very large degree of lattitude in developing new parts and technologies to make their respective vehicles faster. But because a lot of the new ideas and concepts are bleeding edge, they are not going to be "100% proven" when they are first implemented. If a team waited until something was 100% proven before they implemented it they would always be 2 steps behind the competition.

So when a team comes up with something new that they think will confer an advantage they try it out. In the first iteration it might only be at 60% or 70% of its true performance potential but you refine it and improve it and you develop a bigger advantage from it.

The clutch was placed in the center of the engine, presumably to make the bike more compact and reduce its moment of polar inertia. They figured it would be an advantage but obviously the design needs more refinement, and that's what they're doing.

Honda could've played it safe but they didn't amass the record they have in racing by playing it safe all the time. And bottom line is that Rossi has beaten them two years in a row. Playing it safe again was unlikely to change the results.

Obviously the clutch has caused problems and maybe they wouldn't have tried it if they knew it would give them this much trouble. But you don't build the best bike by not taking risks and trying new things. It doesn't always work out, that's why it's called a risk.

Let's face it, Nicky has led the championship most of the season but he hasn't been dominating. If he were dominating, yeah, leave the bike alone. But that hasn't been the case and one would be a fool to think that Rossi's bad luck would last the whole season. That's why they've been pushing the development of the bike. Maybe they've gone down the wrong road along the way but that's what happens sometimes when you're pushing the technical envelope into uncharted territory.

Last edited by G.Irish; 09-28-2006 at 11:18 AM.
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Irish
Let's face it, Nicky has led the championship most of the season but he hasn't been dominating. If he were dominating, yeah, leave the bike alone. But that hasn't been the case and one would be a fool to think that Rossi's bad luck would last the whole season. That's why they've been pushing the development of the bike. Maybe they've gone down the wrong road along the way but that's what happens sometimes when you're pushing the technical envelope into uncharted territory.
He was a podium regular until they changed the clutch after Laguna. No, not dominating but being consistent. Rossi can dominate as he has shown, but his bike can also be inconsistent and he can crash as well (Assen).

All I want Honda to do is give Nicky back the package he had for the first half of the season. They can iron the clutch issues out in the offseason.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I think you're grossly misunderstanding how things work in series like Formula 1 and Moto GP (and to a lesser extent Le Mans). These series have a very large degree of lattitude in developing new parts and technologies to make their respective vehicles faster. But because a lot of the new ideas and concepts are bleeding edge, they are not going to be "100% proven" when they are first implemented. If a team waited until something was 100% proven before they implemented it they would always be 2 steps behind the competition.
I respectfully have to disagree. No way would this happen in Formula 1. Teams like Ferrari, McLaren, and Renault USE their test teams. That's what they are there for. To refine the development parts so that when the race drivers use them they don't fail. And look at Audi in LeMans. They literally did thousands upon thousands of miles with their new diesel prototype before the 24 Hours of LeMans. Testing doesn't replace racing for sure, but to test while racing? Well that's just silly.

I admit to being a fairly new follower of Moto GP (since early 2005). But the way certain things happen in this series baffles me to a certain extent. From my perspective Honda have not looked very interested in the riders title. So now with two races to go and a 12 point lead over the best rider on the grid they decide to swing their full support behind Nicky? And I wonder why they can't get their F1 team squared away. LOL!
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

i didn't misunderstand anything, they don't need to be developing a new clutch (configuration and location if you want to get specific) in the last half of the last year they will be using this bike and if they did it should be done by testers or the second rider who doesn't have a chance at the championship anymore not by the lead rider who's winning the championship
developing is good but when it costs you the championship, its not helping anything
Honda has an army of people that COULD test new engine configurations and at least one private track to do it rather than doing it at race weekends
saying the new engine won't fit on the old frame doesn't make a difference, they carry enough spare parts to all the races to build 2 or 3 complete bikes and enough mechanics to do it quickly. we're talking about teams that have started friday practice, decide they need something different in the swingarm and had one made in japan overnight and shipped to the track for saturday qualifying.

the point is if they wanted to get a good bike ready for the race it would take about an hour
its stupid as hell to screw over your lead rider and championship hope to develope an engine for 2 races do ya'll disagree with that?

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains

Last edited by airforce101t; 09-28-2006 at 12:55 PM.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:54 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
He was a podium regular until they changed the clutch after Laguna. No, not dominating but being consistent. Rossi can dominate as he has shown, but his bike can also be inconsistent and he can crash as well (Assen).

All I want Honda to do is give Nicky back the package he had for the first half of the season. They can iron the clutch issues out in the offseason.
That's certainly an option but doing that is a risk too. Rossi has come out swinging of late and I'd want to give Nicky the best chance of winning the race as possible.

Also, notice Nicky had not gotten a pole position all year until Philip Island. Also note that the Donington package he tested after Brno was faster than what he had been racing earlier this season.

You could be right that the results would be better if they gave Nicky back the configuration he rode earlier in the season but its hard to say if that would definitively be best option. That's the thing that makes decisions difficult, its rarely a black and white issue of what the answer is.

Hopefully at the post Motegi test they found a solution that will allow Nicky to get the start that he needs so he can take advantage of the extra speed the Donington package offers. It also seems like they've found some extra speed in the setup since he was able to go around a half second faster in the post race test than he did during the race.
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 12:58 PM

Yamaha ditched their 2006 bike and went back to the 2005 Evo bike in an effort to win races. And it worked. Honda should do likewise, instead of being stubborn.
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
It also seems like they've found some extra speed in the setup since he was able to go around a half second faster in the post race test than he did during the race.
Too little to late. They've been on the back foot after most of the Friday sessions post Laguna Seca. That doesn't help their cause at all when they find the speed on Monday.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh600RR
Yamaha ditched their 2006 bike and went back to the 2005 Evo bike in an effort to win races. And it worked. Honda should do likewise, instead of being stubborn.
Its easy for you to say that but what worked for one team may not work for another and you don't know all of the variables involved. Sure, in hindsight that seems like a good idea, but then what? People will say, "Oh, they gave Nicky the slower bike, they should've just fixed the clutch problem and he would've won."

As I said, maybe that is the best strategy but it is not really that simple. At this level a lot of times there are no easy answers.
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12
It's not so much that the clutch isn't "proven" as it is the location of the clutch causes it to fail. It's no longer located on the right side, but stacked on the left side where apparently there is more heat generation. That heat causes the clutch to somehow slip. The technicalities of it all are unclear to me, but since moving the clutch on the new motor (after Laguna), they've been having problems. I don't know why they don't just give him back the Laguna motor. Oh wait, it's a new frame too... Dang. It's like sin -- it's a slippery slope. Once you get going, it's hard to go back.

On the left side????

This is from this past monday...looks like the clutch pack is still on the right side of the bike...

Last edited by vizsladog; 09-28-2006 at 01:56 PM.
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
That's certainly an option but doing that is a risk too. Rossi has come out swinging of late and I'd want to give Nicky the best chance of winning the race as possible.
Yep. But Rossi didn't get on track until he switch back to the 05 chassis.

Quote:
Also, notice Nicky had not gotten a pole position all year until Philip Island. Also note that the Donington package he tested after Brno was faster than what he had been racing earlier this season.
Yep. They've got to iron their stuff out BEFORE qualifying and race day :)

Quote:
You could be right that the results would be better if they gave Nicky back the configuration he rode earlier in the season but its hard to say if that would definitively be best option. That's the thing that makes decisions difficult, its rarely a black and white issue of what the answer is.
I know. I just want Honda to give him the best chance to win.

Quote:
Hopefully at the post Motegi test they found a solution that will allow Nicky to get the start that he needs so he can take advantage of the extra speed the Donington package offers. It also seems like they've found some extra speed in the setup since he was able to go around a half second faster in the post race test than he did during the race.
I've got my fingers crossed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page