Garry McCoy on Portugal Grid - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Garry McCoy on Portugal Grid

hope this isn't a repost... haven't been around much lately...

*********** reports McCoy on the grid. Its flash so there's no link. On the main page, click the "Who Is Ilmor?" news. Seems F1/Indy engineers aiming for GP success.

welcome back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah,they said a long time ago they would be doing last 2 rounds of the year on the Ilmor 800
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 05:34 PM

Reaaaaaally keen to see how it goes, and it's fantastic to see Garry back in MotoGP!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 04:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Ilmor also builds 2 V-10 Viper based engines for your power boat. Insanity is the only word I can use for it.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

What I don't understand is how Ilmor/Suter can race NEXT year's 800cc bike under the current rules.

Don't the rules state that you can either race 990cc 4-strokes and/or 500cc 2-strokes? (Or did they finally remove the 2-stroke clause this year to make MotoGP strictly 4-strokes?)

Or is it okay, in MotoGP, to race any 4 stroke as long as it doesn't EXCEED 990ccs on top of the weight restrictions relevent to the number of cylinders? Makes me think that a manufacturer could purposely build a 900cc, 5 cylindered engine while side-stepping the weight restrictions because of the reduced displacement (currently 145 kgs for 4-5 cylinders).

If that's the case, then couldn't all of the manufacturers just take a couple riders that aren't in contention for the championship (Edwards, Stoner, Hopkins, Gibernau, etc) and begin to race their 800cc GP bikes NOW? That would be awesome to see...

PS: Kawasaki sure is taking a long time to announce/reveal their 07 GP bike and rider line-up. They're either behind on development or they haven't figured out who will be riding for them next year. I'd like to think that their new bike is amazing and that they're hiding something up their sleeve.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nakano will be racing for Honda next season i believe, if i'm correct he'll be set to replace his compatriot Tamada on the Konica Minolta Honda who has shown lackluster performance this season, also teh reason Nakano is leaving Team Kawasaki is b'coz he hasn't seen the 800cc GP bike yet & he cannot commit to Kawasaki unless he rides it.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:10 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aren
What I don't understand is how Ilmor/Suter can race NEXT year's 800cc bike under the current rules.

Don't the rules state that you can either race 990cc 4-strokes and/or 500cc 2-strokes? (Or did they finally remove the 2-stroke clause this year to make MotoGP strictly 4-strokes?)

Or is it okay, in MotoGP, to race any 4 stroke as long as it doesn't EXCEED 990ccs on top of the weight restrictions relevent to the number of cylinders? Makes me think that a manufacturer could purposely build a 900cc, 5 cylindered engine while side-stepping the weight restrictions because of the reduced displacement (currently 145 kgs for 4-5 cylinders).

If that's the case, then couldn't all of the manufacturers just take a couple riders that aren't in contention for the championship (Edwards, Stoner, Hopkins, Gibernau, etc) and begin to race their 800cc GP bikes NOW? That would be awesome to see...

PS: Kawasaki sure is taking a long time to announce/reveal their 07 GP bike and rider line-up. They're either behind on development or they haven't figured out who will be riding for them next year. I'd like to think that their new bike is amazing and that they're hiding something up their sleeve.
Well I believe that a company can ask for an exception to the rules.

As far as I know, the bike can be any size UP to 990 with no more than 6 cyls. That means that yes they can build an 800 now and race it under the current rules. But they wont run the bike that is next years ride for several reasons. If its acually better, they would be taking away from the championship race in progress. And they would be giving away what they have before hand.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:22 AM
crotch_rocket_pilot

Hopefully this isn't a no no....if it is mods I applogize. Here is a copy and paste of the news story. I'm excited to see McCoy in the last two races. Should be fun to watch!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:36 AM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiddy
But they wont run the bike that is next years ride for several reasons. If its acually better, they would be taking away from the championship race in progress.

Are you saying that Ilmors 800cc bike could be better than the current 990cc's? Dude you crazee!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:04 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco
Are you saying that Ilmors 800cc bike could be better than the current 990cc's? Dude you crazee!
No I didnt say that. I was refering more to Honda or Yamaha's 800cc bike. I mean the new RC 800 is already turning laps close to the current 990 bike. And we know that hot lapping is always almost faster than racing, so its forseeable that one of the new 800cc Hondas could compete with the current 990 crop. Probably beat the Suzuki and Kawi.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I think it's more about the manufacturers not wanting to show all of their cards too early in the game. I am pretty sure that the new 800cc bikes are just as fast as their 990cc counterparts, but nobody knows who has the fastest bike at this point.

If perhaps the new Ducati GP7 is the fastest and they ended up running it in a GP race, then they would literally be telling all the other manufacturers to work even harder to make a better bike. The element of surprise would be lost for the upcoming season. That's one of the reasons Rossi did so well in his first season with Yamaha aboard the M1 - they rarely released true lap times during testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page