Hopkins to F1 - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore Extraordinaire

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Hopkins to F1

Rizla Suzuki MotoGP racer John Hopkins and Scuderia Toro Rosso Formula One driver Tonio Liuzzi will swap 'day jobs' next week - when Hopkins will drive Luizzi's F1 car, while the American steps onto Hopper's GSV-R.

The once-in-a-lifetime 'seat swap' will take place on Tuesday 31st October, at Valencia in Spain, just two days after this weekend's MotoGP season finale at the same circuit. The crossover event had originally been planned for August 11, 2005, but was cancelled after Hopkins broke his foot in last year's German Grand Prix.

But, barring such misfortune in this weekend's grand prix, Hopkins will now get the opportunity to sit behind the wheel of the V10 powered Toro Rosso F1 car, sporting a Rizla-blue fire suit and an Arai car helmet painted in his Red Bull colours.

"I'm really excited about this," said the Anglo-American, "it's the first time I've been given the chance to drive a F1 car properly and the team are telling me to give it a bit of throttle - which makes me excited but a bit nervous too! I think it will be a really interesting day, with Liuzzi on the bike and me in the car, and our respective crews having to work with different guys using their machines. It's going to be an experience of a lifetime and I'm really grateful to Red Bull and Rizla Suzuki for making it happen. I'm really pumped up for it and can't wait for it to happen!"

More here... http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?cid=6&id=139329

No more mod listing, shits is STILL too long

03 600RR > 04 1000RR > 06 R6V > 05 600RR > 06 R1 > 09 1000RR > 10 RSV4R :gun:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Aww sweeet ! ! ! ! . . . . Lucky Bastard ;o)

Always passing Gixxer's on the outside ! ! ! . . . .

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't think it's all that big of a deal for hopkins to jump on the f1 car...sure, those things are beasts, but driving the fastest cars in the world (short of drag racers) has to be easier than driving the fastest bikes in the world. I'm not sure about liuzzi.

juan pablo montoya and jeff gordon swapped cars three or so years ago...the f1 car could go around the indy track 30 seconds faster than gordon's NASCAR machine. it was fun to watch, though.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:09 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelele
I don't think it's all that big of a deal for hopkins to jump on the f1 car...sure, those things are beasts, but driving the fastest cars in the world (short of drag racers) has to be easier than driving the fastest bikes in the world. I'm not sure about liuzzi.
That is true. If you notice, there have been several motorcycle racers who have successfully transitioned to auto racing in the past. However, the opposite just doesn't seem to happen.

Rossi could hold his own when he tested the Ferrari F1. He was just a couple seconds off Schumacher's pace I believe. However, when Schumacher tested the Ducati, he was about 20 seconds off pace.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:53 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thats because driving a car is static compared to riding a bike. In a car your weight doesnt really matter. Yes its important to over all weight and Im sure that F1 is moving the seat around for the right weight distribution. But on a bike you move and are a more intregal point of the bike and its handling characteristics.

"Oh and if you dare say that I dont know whats it like get a freakin clue! I date models and strippers. So dont tell me that I dont know whats its like!" - BDiddy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore Extraordinaire

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
who cares, its still sweet.

No more mod listing, shits is STILL too long

03 600RR > 04 1000RR > 06 R6V > 05 600RR > 06 R1 > 09 1000RR > 10 RSV4R :gun:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page