Laguna Questions - Veterans Help - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Laguna Questions - Veterans Help

hey hey.

starting to plan for the big event - we are comming down from canada. I have some questions tho. We are looking at getting a hospitality package. Where are the good turns? Are the packages worth the money? Anyone have experience with these packages? And, is it REALLY worth renting a motorcycle down there for the weekend?

is it like rush seating around the track on the grass? How packed does it get?

hotels - what sort of options are there? I remember reading they jack the prices for the weekend, and that you can stay out of town for a lot cheaper. Where is close to laguna?

MODS - can we get a sticky thread for all the laguna q's?

troy

Last edited by tron; 10-23-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you get a hospitality pkg you won't have to fight to see the race, on the otherhand there was a fight at the corkscrew this year, typically thats the most crowded spot to watch the race.
The farther you stay from the track the cheaper it is. In 05 I stayed at a Marriot property in Morgan Hill about 45mins north which was about $120/night.

John

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that
you are wicked.
Epictetus

www.johnomoto.com
Sports and Event Photography
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:15 AM
cvlighthouse

PM me for details...

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I didn't really find the turn 4 grandstand seats to be worth it. So save your money there, in my opinion.

I DID feel like the paddock pass was worth it, but only if you are going to go on Friday and Saturday, too, because you'll want to scope out seats on Sunday if you don't buy reserved.

We sat in the corkscrew last year and got there by 7:30 am to secure decent seats. By race time, the corkscrew was totally packed. Oh, and there is no grass; just dirt. :) I think the corkscrew is definitely the best place to watch the action. Because of the relatively low speeds, you are much closer to the track.

I stayed with some friends who live in Salinas, and I've heard that is a good place to get hotel rooms.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:33 PM
cvlighthouse

Map of Laguna.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 07:07 AM

i will be statined at Ft. Irwin california during this race, u can bet I will be up there and I will defainty make a point of meeting u CVLighthouse!
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:54 AM
cvlighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil
i will be statined at Ft. Irwin california during this race, u can bet I will be up there and I will defainty make a point of meeting u CVLighthouse!
Good to hear man! Are you going to have a bike w/ you?
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Knightslugger

I'd like to meet some of you as well. Fri, Sat., Sun i will be there.

however, i may not want to ride right away when i get there... some of you MAY know why. I may just want to park my bike and pass out for a few hours.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauriteb
I didn't really find the turn 4 grandstand seats to be worth it. So save your money there, in my opinion.

I DID feel like the paddock pass was worth it, but only if you are going to go on Friday and Saturday, too, because you'll want to scope out seats on Sunday if you don't buy reserved.

We sat in the corkscrew last year and got there by 7:30 am to secure decent seats. By race time, the corkscrew was totally packed. Oh, and there is no grass; just dirt. :) I think the corkscrew is definitely the best place to watch the action. Because of the relatively low speeds, you are much closer to the track.

I stayed with some friends who live in Salinas, and I've heard that is a good place to get hotel rooms.
you really didn't like T4??? we love those seats
you can see them coming up T1 down to T2, loose them for a few second, then theyre there at T3, coming right at you to T4 and up to T5.

You watch the remaining lap on the jumbo tron, and it starts all over again.

Those are great seats.

What turned you off about T4???
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawalker
you really didn't like T4??? we love those seats
you can see them coming up T1 down to T2, loose them for a few second, then theyre there at T3, coming right at you to T4 and up to T5.

You watch the remaining lap on the jumbo tron, and it starts all over again.

Those are great seats.

What turned you off about T4???

Got to agree, turn 4 is great!
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:42 PM

Yes, I will be riding my bike down from WA state. Planning on takeing Highway 101 and then California 1 when I get to Ft. Bragg CA. I am 9 hours away from Ft. Irwin, will have to take some leave days off for the weekend of leguna seca but yes, I will definatly be riding CV! I assume theres a rally to the track starting somewere!
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

hey

someone had posted a GREAT listing of hotels in the area. I cant find it, and I did try the search function. Does anyone know where it went? mods?
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:46 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
from what i understand, make your hotel reservations asap because the rooms fill quick. as far as renting a bike for the weekend. if you can afford it, do it.....riding down highway 1 is something every person with a motorcycle should do at least once in their life.

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 08:33 AM

Well, I am 9 hours away from leguna, 4 day pass here I come. Take a little leave and say GOODBYE!
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 12:02 PM
cvlighthouse

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoonerkid
from what i understand, make your hotel reservations asap because the rooms fill quick. as far as renting a bike for the weekend. if you can afford it, do it.....riding down highway 1 is something every person with a motorcycle should do at least once in their life.
definetely reserve you room now and make sure you have confirmation via email and by phone.

as for renting the bike, HW1 is a must.

however, if you're not going to be camping at the track, parking a bike can be tricky. If you don't get to the main parking areas early enough, you may very well end up on a hill with the ground squirrels, dried grass, rocks and that heavenly sun.

Or you could leave the bike in town, take the shuttle to the track and not have to worry about parking your bike, or wether or not you'll be slidding your bike down the hill when you leave. It's happened.

There are some horror stories, but more positives than negatives. This past race weekend was a fluke due to the heat wave. Alot went south due to the heat, but for the most part it was a great time.

Now, be forewarned, Laguna is extremely limited in handling a 100k crowd for the three days, but they are improving every year. Just bring your patience, tolerance and understanding. Just roll with it. :icon_salu
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

I've been calling a few hotels in Carmel Valley. They have told me that, as I've decicided not to rent a bike, the best place to stay would be Seaside or Marina. I just wanted to pass that along for any other peole who dont know anything about the area
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 03:25 PM

Salinas is also a good place for hotel / motels, maybe abit less expensive also
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

I've stayed in Salinas two years, and then for 2006 I stayed with some friends who lived about 2 miles from the track. I'd say for accomodations and convenience and traffic, Salinas would be a top way to go.

And for the record, Luke (cvlighthouse) knows how to show you a good time! ;)

R.I.P. Phattywhorefresh - 10.19.2010

"The lesson is that unbeatable superheroes only exist in movies." -Valentino Rossi

<--- me on the right

http://www.myspace.com/astars
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawalker
Salinas is also a good place for hotel / motels, maybe abit less expensive also
How would transportation to/from the track from Salinas be? The woman at a hotel I called said that Seaside and Marina would be best. If I can get away with it, I'd like to not have to rent a car this weekend...tryin to keep the costs down
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

Its about a 15-20 minute ride/drive to the track from Salinas without race traffic. Race traffic can add anywhere from another 15 minutes to an hour and a half to the travel time. If you're looking NOT to drive yourself there, Marina or Seaside would be a better bet.

R.I.P. Phattywhorefresh - 10.19.2010

"The lesson is that unbeatable superheroes only exist in movies." -Valentino Rossi

<--- me on the right

http://www.myspace.com/astars
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing
Its about a 15-20 minute ride/drive to the track from Salinas without race traffic. Race traffic can add anywhere from another 15 minutes to an hour and a half to the travel time. If you're looking NOT to drive yourself there, Marina or Seaside would be a better bet.
that's a for sure

here's another option - you would not be the only one that would be staying in Salinas for the race weekend, perhaps you should take a census and see who is staying is Salinas and car pool with them.

Better yet, contact Salinas and see if they will have trasport to the track
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 05:49 PM
cvlighthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing

And for the record, Luke (cvlighthouse) knows how to show you a good time! ;)

Haha. Thanks Britt. I can't wait for next year! You sell your bike yet?
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 07:54 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I had a big decision to make back on Nov 1st when tixs went on sale . . .buy Moto GP package . . or . . 20 high school reunion

3 day pass, pit parade lap & hotel is ALL secure! Yea like that was really tough. WHO cares about old school mates when there is a race to be seen!

Last year was my 1st experience . . loved every min. of it even if it WAS 145 degrees on the track and while standing at the Corkscrew fence I thought my face was going to melt off . . but it was worth it!
As a Kawi (ROK) memeber I was in the hospitality tent. Food, shade, gearcheck, and a great staff . . I'm on the list again this year.
Worth the $45.00 annually fee to be put on the list for tixs.

Just joined the Honda Riders club too. Do they offer packages as well?
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
I had a big decision to make back on Nov 1st when tixs went on sale . . .buy Moto GP package . . or . . 20 high school reunion

3 day pass, pit parade lap & hotel is ALL secure! Yea like that was really tough. WHO cares about old school mates when there is a race to be seen!

Last year was my 1st experience . . loved every min. of it even if it WAS 145 degrees on the track and while standing at the Corkscrew fence I thought my face was going to melt off . . but it was worth it!
As a Kawi (ROK) memeber I was in the hospitality tent. Food, shade, gearcheck, and a great staff . . I'm on the list again this year.
Worth the $45.00 annually fee to be put on the list for tixs.

Just joined the Honda Riders club too. Do they offer packages as well?
HRC does have a package and a hospitality area.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron
How would transportation to/from the track from Salinas be? The woman at a hotel I called said that Seaside and Marina would be best. If I can get away with it, I'd like to not have to rent a car this weekend...tryin to keep the costs down
well i stayed at salinas this past year and i had no issue with traffic. took about 15-20 mins to get to the track about bout 30 mins to get to monterey from salinas. they did a great job with the traffic rules and it showed. but i did use my friends camping pass to get in through the front gates so i dont know about if u wanted to get to the wolf hill parkin would be. HEY LIGHTHOUSE, gotta meet up with u next year, i think i may give u a run for ur money as in entertainment. lol.

"Mi SCUSI"
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:17 PM
cvlighthouse

06red600, Nothing can beat the Running Iron man! :[p

Hit me up with a PM before you roll into town..
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse
06red600, Nothing can beat the Running Iron man! :[p

Hit me up with a PM before you roll into town..
one word for u. PARTYBOY!!! lol.

"Mi SCUSI"
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
one thing i would like to add is to take LOTS of water to the event. last year the track experienced RECORD temperatures well into the 100's. this was a BIG problem for a lot of people who came ill prepared. As far as staying at or in Seaside, or Marina, i would MUCH rather stay in Salinas over those places. Marina and Seaside are kinda the not so well part of Monterey, dont get me wrong it isnt like the 9th ward in New Orleans or anything, but it is where a big part of the city's crime happens. If you have any questions PM me and ill see if i can find you a better place to stay

post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:22 AM

Look forward to riding with u guys. I am gonna wait to get tickets in the next 2 months, I dont' know if I will be able to go, let alone watch the race. Might get deployed before it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page