2008 Indy MotoGP!! ... - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 25 reviews
2008 Indy MotoGP!! ...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jul/070705t.htm

An e-mail from Indianapolis Motor Speedway states that they will make an announcement on July 16 which will make motorsports history. Presumably this means that on that day they will announce the date of their 2008 USGP MotoGP event.

Stay tuned.

I'm sooo there if this happens!

getting back in the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
still not certain..but it will be awesome if they do! isnt there gonna be saftey problems since the track doesnt have runoff? or does it?

2006 CBR 600RR v.2 (picked up 08/18/2007)
2006 CBR 600RR v.1 (lowsided 07/22/07 @ appx. 9:55am)
1996 Honda Prelude VTEC
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan (R.I.P. 12/22/2010)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:12 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I hear it might be the same track setup as F1. That's the rumour anyway. They will put in necessary safety mods I am sure. They aren't running oval.

X

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

F1 track ran backwards (same direction as the oval). speedway turn one deleted and replaced with more infield. at least that's the rumor.....

here's the track as is...

damn, i'll be so excited once they make this offical. i just haven't been getting my hopes up because i'll go so crazy if it happens. but it is looking GOOD now!!!!!!!!!! whew hew!!!!!

GET YOUR TICKETS TO THE RED BULL INDIANAPOLIS GP!! go to www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com or call (800) 822-INDY
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

i know! it's so much closer then laguna!!! and maybe even better of a layout!

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp.../?&R=EPI-92483

Indianapolis MotoGP race to be announced next week
By Matthew Birt

MotoGP

04 July 2007 17:23

A second MotoGP race in America to be staged at the famous Indianapolis circuit will be officially announced next week.

The Indy clash will join the Laguna Seca round in California on the 2008 MotoGP world championship calendar.

The race will definitely run in September but no date has been confirmed, though MCN understands that a 2008 provisional MotoGP calendar will be released at either the German MotoGP at the Sachsenring next week (July 13-15) or in Laguna Seca the following weekend (July 20-22).

Indianapolis won’t add to the current 18-round MotoGP calendar, with bosses insisting that the season will not be extended to a 19-round season.

Turkey’s round at the Istanbul Park is expected too be sacrificed for Indianapolis.

MCN understands the 2008 season is to kick-off again in March at the Losail International Circuit in Qatar, followed by the Spanish MotoGP in Jerez which replicates the opening to the 2007 season.

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Yeah and they already were nixing the Turkey round even before Indianapolis was an issue.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

i thought china was on the block too....

GET YOUR TICKETS TO THE RED BULL INDIANAPOLIS GP!! go to www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com or call (800) 822-INDY
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

it maybe i just remember watching the turkey one and them saying that it is the last time they will be racing there.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 04:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
it maybe i just remember watching the turkey one and them saying that it is the last time they will be racing there.
Well the greediest man in motorsport owns the Istanbul circuit now and he already pissed off the Moto GP folks by trying to raise the price to test there by an astronomical amount and quadrupling the daily track rental fee, even for groups that had already reserved the track before the price hike (he raised it to $100,000).

Chances are he's gonna be stupid and greedy about the sanctioning fee with Dorna and they are simply going to go elsewhere. Its a ******* shame too because its a great track and I'm dating a Turkish girl right now so I would've had a place to stay :(
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Moto GP Racer

I have my credit card out and waiting for the tickets to go on sale.

FIG JAM

Quote:
Ride with your balls on your feet.
Important Satety Information: http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/motorcycle/corona.html
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
same here spectre

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

........me Three!

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Ducati Champion Del Mondo

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Wow... Could it be?

Jason

“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am ready to go as soon as tickets are announced. Turn one is awesome and so is the infield, at least for F1 they are. The seating in front of the podium is also awesome. We all need to hook up and have a massive party in Indy. Let's keep the communication channels open for this.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

I'm there if it happens!

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

MORE GOOD NEWS and the best part is at the end!!!!

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jul/0707126a.htm

The news burning up the wires this morning is that Indianapolis Motor Speedway and F1 Supremo Berni Eccelstone have agreed to not hold an F1 race at Indy next year.

The scene seems to be set for Indianapolis to announce their MotoGP event, which will run on the F1 roadcourse (backwards and with modifications).

Local Indy press reports suggest the switch from F1 to MotoGP by Indy will give the track an opportunity to actually make money on an international race. With the sanction fee for an F1 race costing a reported $10-15 million dollars, and the sanction fee on MotoGP--again reported--to cost just $1-2 million, Indy could gross nine million dollars if 150,000 spectators pay $60 each to attend the US MotoGP event (their math, not ours).

Sure, this sounds like crazy math but once you step away from the insane math of F1, all things seem possible.

European sources indicate that Indy's MotoGP event will include the 125 and 250 machines.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 04:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

just found another article taking about motogp next year =)
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/38692/
"Last month, IMS officials announced thay the track will be hosting a MotoGP motorcycle race in '08, which may help to offset the financial hit the city will have with the loss of the international crowd that followed the event."

http://www.teamelusive.com
http://www.elusivemedia.com
---
sigs should not exceed 500x150
05' CBR600RR Silver - Current - 10,001MI
04' Ninja 250R - Sold
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

man, i want motogp bad, but losing F1 still sucks.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

eh i could care less lol.

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Moto GP Racer

well...i really do, i know alot of people dont' care for it, but the more international events at the track the better and i personaly really like F1. but the real reason i care is because those [email protected] spend alot of money downtown!

Quote:
The U.S. Grand Prix might have been a controversial event for fans and media members, but there were no doubts among Downtown hotel and restaurant employees: They loved it, both for its economic impact and the colorful characters it pulled through their doors.

"The week of F-1 for us is the best or second-best of the year," said Ryan Nelson, executive chef for The Oceanaire restaurant. "It compares only to the second week of December with all the holiday parties. It's significant. We've had record nights on F-1 Saturday nights. It will definitely be missed."
Grand Prix fans have pumped more than $1 billion into the local economy, according to the Indianapolis Convention & Visitors Association.
Nelson estimated the loss of the race will cost his business about $75,000.
Casey Loughlin, general manager at Palomino restaurant said business improved by 30 percent to 40 percent the weekend of the race. Ryan Craig, director of operations for Ruth's Chris Steak House, said business there increased two or three times over race weekend.
Mark McClure, general manager of the Canterbury Hotel, said his hotel averages 64 percent occupancy on normal weekends but enjoyed 100 percent occupancy -- at a higher room rate -- during F-1 weekend.
"This is as big a piece of news as (not getting the Super Bowl), to tell you the truth," he said. "This was something that happened every year; you could count on it. You add up two or three years of the F-1, it's going to be a Super Bowl."
Most restaurant and hotel representatives agreed that while the USGP brought in more business than the Indianapolis 500 in previous years, the gap was shrinking.
Chris Clifford, general manager at St. Elmo Steak House, said the F-1 race had drawn fewer Europeans and more Americans the past couple of years, and it brought in more business than the 500 just once in the past eight years.
The international crowd, however, brought a unique flavor to Downtown establishments, not to mention higher bar bills.
"The Europeans are a tad more apt to buy large bottles of wine, or expensive wine," the Oceanaire's Nelson said.
"The F-1 fans are so laid back. The year there were the problems with the tires, they were like, 'Hey, we had fun, bring us another bottle of wine.' The typical American fan would have been more angry."
Business leaders hope the loss of the F-1 race will be countered in part by the addition of the MotoGP motorcycle race, scheduled for September 2008.
"That will be interesting," Palomino's Loughlin said. "I don't know what kind of guest base that brings in. But we'll definitely be prepared for it."
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...111/707130460/

MotoGP will be awesome, but both would be better.

Last edited by RelfF2; 07-13-2007 at 04:57 PM.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

here's another article from the IndyStar about F1 leaving, this one makes me feel alittle better, i think Bob is right on alot of this, and i love hearing the Indianapolis media talking about MotoGP! whew hew!

Quote:
Sayonara. Au revoir. Arrivederci. Auf Wiedersehen. Adios.

Or, as we like to say in Hoosier, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out.''
The Formula One folks, or as I prefer to remember them, The Guests From Hell, are leaving the Indianapolis sports calendar, preferably forever.
Goodbye. And good riddance.
Please excuse me if any of this sounds xenophobic. I have nothing against people from other countries -- except maybe France. And Kentucky. But during their eight years of coming to our fair city, the F-1 leadership turned arrogance into high art. They engaged in the worst kind of snobbery -- as opposed to the best kind? -- wearing out their welcome like an ungrateful in-law.
They gave us a contrived finish, Michael Schumacher moving aside to let his teammate, Rubens Barrichello, win a race.
They gave us the Michelin fiasco, which should have spelled the end of the race right then and there.
And along the way, they acted like petulant children who were doing us some great favor by gracing American soil.
It all started at the top with a spectacularly unusual bloke named Bernie Ecclestone, who liked to show his gratitude by insulting us. The F-1 boss' most recent outrage came the week of this year's race, when he started negotiating the next contract with IMS by criticizing Indy and talking up the qualities of alternative sites.
That's not shrewd business; that's bad manners.
On this one, I give IMS chief Tony George credit. You know it hurt him deeply to lose this event, especially after investing tens of millions of dollars to make the track F-1-worthy. This event was running against traffic almost from the start. The second year came on the heels of 9/11. Then came date changes. Then came the contrived Ferrari finish and the Michelin fiasco and more date changes.
"There were a number of hurdles that contributed to our inability to get the traction we hoped,'' George said.
It was a noble try, one that cost the city nothing and enriched the city dramatically. But the price got too high to pay. And with MotoGP in his pocket, George could afford to say no this time.
The MotoGP will not bring in the kind of crazy cash the F-1 crowd throws around, but it will help ease some of the pain for all those Downtown businesses.
The last year of the F-1 race, we had approximately 100,000 people at IMS. Who's to say they can't do nearly as well with MotoGP? That's an event, populated by American riders, that can be grown in Indianapolis.
The F-1 race reached its apex its first few years here, then spiraled downward. That wasn't Indy's fault. It was F-1's fault. They acted like colonialists, ordering the natives around. Combine a sub-standard product and a restrictive media policy that made basic coverage next-to-impossible, and the race turned into a novelty act geared almost solely toward out-of-towners.
Will they be missed?
Well, their dollars will be missed.
But listen: Indianapolis existed as a city well before F-1 arrived in 2000, and Indy will continue to flourish long after the world's most boring race is a distant memory.
If there's any minuscule chance F-1 returns -- George kept talking about 2008 as a "hiatus,'' which troubled me deeply -- it can only happen if the city of Indianapolis gets financially involved and helps pay the sanctioning fee.
Say what you will about George, but he has never asked this city for a handout, never pigged out at the public trough.
"I think the city is willing to consider how they can help promote our speedway to continue to attract events like F-1 to Indy,'' George said. "That may be part of the due diligence we pursue as a necessary step to bringing F-1 back. But direct financial contributions, I don't see that at all.
"It's been interesting having been involved in the Super Bowl bid process a little bit to see that dynamic. And while it's not all about money, money is a factor. And right now there are a lot of countries and organizers who want F-1 in a bad way. As badly as I want it, it has to be a prudent business decision."
Here's my dream scenario: F-1 decides its American future is based in Las Vegas. They run a couple of years worth of races, Steve Wynn bankrolls the whole thing, and after two, three years, the fans there decide it's more interesting losing money playing the slots and watching David Cassidy.
So F-1 starts shopping its race to various cities, finally deciding that Indianapolis, the center of the racing universe, is, after all, the best spot for F-1's American race.
George tells Ecclestone he'll let him use the Speedway if he A) pays the city $5 million, preferably in small bills; and B) washes and waxes my Subaru Dentmobile, which really could use a good scrubbing.
In the meantime, three words to send F-1 on its way:
Bugger off, Bernie.

Bob Kravitz is a columnist for The Indianapolis Star. Call him at (317) 444-6643 or e-mail [email protected].

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

It's official!!!! Sept 14, 2008 !!!!!!!!!

and unlike Laguna it will be bringing the WHOLE Circus!!!

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 06:17 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Indy USGP Is Confirmed
by staff
Monday, July 16, 2007
This just in from Indianapolis Motor Speedway:

MotoGP COMING TO IMS IN SEPTEMBER 2008 FOR RED BULL INDIANAPOLIS GP

INDIANAPOLIS, Monday, July 16, 2007 ? Motorcycle racing will return to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the first time in nearly a century with the Red Bull Indianapolis GP on Sunday, Sept. 14, 2008 for MotoGP, the world's premier motorcycle road racing series.

Officials from IMS and Dorna Sports, the commercial rights holder for MotoGP, have reached a multi-year agreement to stage motorcycle racing at the Speedway for the first time since an event on the 2.5-mile oval on Aug. 14, 1909, the year the facility opened.

The Red Bull Indianapolis GP will take place on a new 16-turn, 2.601-mile (4.186 km) motorcycle road course at IMS that will feature the riders traveling counter-clockwise, the same direction as the facility's oval events.

"We welcome the excitement and passion of MotoGP racing and its fans to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the inaugural Red Bull Indianapolis GP," said Joie Chitwood, IMS president and chief operating officer. "The very first motorized race at IMS was on two wheels, so it's only fitting that motorcycles are returning as we approach the 100th anniversary of the track.

"Fans of MotoGP know just how thrilling this form of racing is, and our new road-course configuration will create even more side-by-side action and passing opportunities for the skilled riders."

The inaugural Red Bull Indianapolis GP will feature three days of on-track action starting Friday, Sept. 12. The 125cc and 250cc classes also will compete as support series during the event.

"We are very happy to be able to add this event to the MotoGP calendar because tradition and history play such a big part in our sport, and nowhere in the world has as much motorsport history as Indianapolis," said Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta.

"The U.S. is obviously a very important market to us, and when we returned to Laguna Seca a couple of years ago for the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix, it was an instant success. The next step was to come to Indianapolis, and now to be able to say we have two MotoGP events in the United States shows just how far our sport has come in recent years. We hope that the Red Bull Indianapolis GP will be another success story, and we are already looking forward to next year?s first event with anticipation."

MotoGP is the most sophisticated, prestigious motorcycle racing series in the world. Riders compete on prototype, 800cc machines from major manufacturers, including Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. MotoGP bikes, which create nearly 250 horsepower despite weighing only approximately 330 pounds, can reach speeds of nearly 210 mph.

The 2007 series schedule features 18 races in 15 countries around the globe.

Defending World Champion Nicky Hayden, from Owensboro, Ky., is one of five Americans who have scored points in the 2007 MotoGP season. The others are 2000 World Champion Kenny Roberts Jr., Colin Edwards, John Hopkins and Kurtis Roberts.

Other MotoGP superstars include five-time MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi of Italy, current points leader Casey Stoner of Australia, Alex Barros of Brazil, Marco Melandri of Italy, Dani Pedrosa of Spain and Chris Vermeulen of Australia.

"I'm really excited about this race," Hayden said. "It is great that Red Bull is committed to the growth of MotoGP in America, and coming to such an historic track like Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be really special to me. It's like my home race. I'm sure all of Owensboro will make the drive up north!"

IMS opened in 1909, and the first Indianapolis 500-Mile Race was conducted in 1911.

The 2008 Indianapolis 500 will take place Sunday, May 25, 2008 and will be the 92nd running. The Allstate 400 at the Brickyard, a NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series event, was added to the IMS schedule in 1994. The 14th Allstate 400 at the Brickyard is scheduled for Sunday, July 29, 2007. The two races are the two largest-attended single-day sporting events in the world.

Formula One also competed at IMS from 2000-07 in the United States Grand Prix.

IMS is the only facility in the world to play host annually to these three major circuit-racing series in the world: IndyCar Series, NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series and MotoGP.

Red Bull Indianapolis GP tickets: Ticket orders are being accepted now for the inaugural Red Bull Indianapolis GP on Sept. 14, 2008.

Orders can be placed either online at www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com or by mailing an order form to IMS. The order form is available at the IMS Web site or by calling the IMS Ticket Office at (800) 822-INDY outside the Indianapolis area or (317) 492-6700 locally. Ticket Office hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page