Shocker! Hopkins to Kawasaki - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shocker! Hopkins to Kawasaki

Didn't see this one coming but apparently he went after the big bucks.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...kinsdeparture/

Suzuki's factory MotoGP team boss Paul Denning has confirmed to MCN that John Hopkins has penned a big money deal to switch to Kawasaki for the 2008 MotoGP world championship.

The American's management team informed Denning that a deal had been signed for Hopkins to quit after five years in Suzuki's factory MotoGP squad.

MCN exclusively revealed this morning that Hopkins signed a contract with Kawasaki at last month's Dutch GP in Assen, and that his move will be officially announced at this weekend's German GP in the Sachsenring. MCN understands Suzuki was notified of Hopkins' decision yesterday (Monday).

Hopkins turned down a fresh contract offer from Suzuki to switch to ride Kawasaki's ZX-RR after the 24-year-old was linked with a host of teams for next season.

Denning told MCN: "We have been informed by John's management that he has signed for Kawasaki. We have still got 50 per cent of the 2007 season to go and it's obviously a disappointment from Suzuki's point of view. Suzuki had made John a strong and a solid offer and he has chosen to go in a different direction for whatever reasons those maybe. From our point of view that's something we respect and have to go along with. But as I said we still have 50 per cent of the season to go and John Hopkins is still a Rizla Suzuki Grand Prix rider and we will be giving him absolutely everything as we always do to try and help him and get him into the top three in the championship." Denning said he was disappointed at failing to sign Hopkins again, with the Californian riding for the British-based squad since the start of 2003.

He declined to comment though that Suzuki had refused to meet Hopkins' high wage demands, believed to be around a whopping £2.7m, MCN understands.

"It is a disappointment that John has chosen to go elsewhere. There are reasons for that other than performance, I think there are commercial reasons but it's not really our job to be concerned about that. While it is disappointing that John is leaving, there are probably other riders seeing John getting reasonably good results on a fast improving motorcycle, and that performance doesn't harm our chances of replacing John with a rider that can do an equally good if not better job. We'd have been very, very happy to continue with John, we are disappointed he is leaving but you have to look at it as an opportunity rather than a problem, "said Denning, who said a host of riders were in the frame to replace Hopkins for 2008.

A leading contender is likely to be Italian Marco Melandri, who has already held talks with Denning earlier this season.

There are strong rumours though that Melandri is being lined up as Loris Capirossi's replacement in Ducati's factory team, with Kawasaki still pursuing Capirossi to partner Hopkins.

Denning added: "I think there are a number of riders; Loris Capirossi and Marco Melandri and a couple of others who probably aren't performing to their true potential. Even Shinya Nakano is another good example for whatever reason that might be. I'd like to think that the Suzuki environment and the bike we have got now would be attractive to a rider that has won GPs, challenged for world championships and wants to do it again."

With Hopkins confirming his departure, Denning said it would not make the issue of signing Aussie Chris Vermeulen a more pressing matter.

Vermeulen is locked in negotiations about extending his current contract and Denning told MCN: "Suzuki made it clear that its first intention was to sign with both John and Chris for next year. John has gone to Kawasaki but the intention to sign Chris is very, very clear. I don' know whether it puts Chris in a stronger negotiating position or not, I don't think it really works like that. We brought Chris into MotoGP and he's done a brilliant job. He's still got something to learn to get the absolute best out of a MotoGP bike in all conditions but the baseline is he's got the attitude and convictions of a winner and its still very much our intention to keep Chris. I don't think it makes it anymore pressing the fact that John is moving. We desperately wanted to keep Chris anyway and that is still the case."

Last edited by Moeman; 07-10-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oh well, with the right rider, Suzuki can win championships... Kawasaki is still unproven although has huge potential now that all the works are taken in house.. this will be interesting
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Moto GP Racer

I don't like it... mean Zuki will be more willing to shell out huge $$$ on JT :(

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
I don't like it... mean Zuki will be more willing to shell out huge $$$ on JT :(
Or Ben Spies would be a safe and good choice - less $$$ for a great rider? I'd say so.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Or Ben Spies would be a safe and good choice - less $$$ for a great rider? I'd say so.
Agreed! But didn't he JUST resign with Yoshi Zuki? I think so...

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
Agreed! But didn't he JUST resign with Yoshi Zuki? I think so...
Yeah, but a move within Suzuki wouldn't be a breach of contract....at least, I don't think.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
and he has already said he will only go to MotoGP on an A Squad bike. as in a contender. Other then a wet race win, it(suzuki) hasn't really challenged for wins that much however that could be rider more then bike, we'll see next year. I don't really know if kawasaki was the team to go for JHopkins, i mean he had offers from ducati a year or 2 ago, shoulda taken that deal.

getting back in the game.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Moto GP Racer

there has been talk about Spies to MotoGP? I remember hearing a commentator mention something but nothing I would have taken as a serious thought...?

On within Zuki, wonder what Yoshi would think about that lol You know how badly they are a 123 finish in the championship... (everyyear! lol)

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

The right rider could make the Suzuki very competitive. Marco or JT could pull it off.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 AM

Where's the Hopkins bashing? A while back everyone was praising him for his loyalty to Suzuki...

Anyways, hopefully this is a smart move. It's tough to know how good the ZX-RR is, but many in the paddock think it's a fast bike. Good luck to him.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~150989.htm

Following the news that John Hopkins has signed for Kawasaki, reported earlier today by Motorcycle News, Suzuki has assured Crash.net that the Anglo-American will continue to receive full support until the end of 2007.

After making his MotoGP debut with Red Bull Yamaha in 2002, Hopkins switched to Suzuki the following season and - despite several difficult years on the initially uncompetitive GSV-R - has remained with the factory ever since.

The Anglo-American was rewarded for his loyalty with a steadily improving machine, culminating in a debut pole position last season and a debut podium earlier this year. Nevertheless, that hasn't been enough to keep the highly-rated 24-year-old at Paul Denning's team - Hopkins' decision to join Kawasaki, a team eager to sign a top name for 2008, being made with half of the 18 rounds still to go.

"Suzuki is making no comment on the situation, other than John will continue to get full support both on and off the track as he is still a Suzuki rider," a Suzuki spokesman told Crash.net, when asked about the consequences of Hopper's departure.

The spokesman admitted that the team's intention had been to keep both Hopkins and Chris Vermeulen for next season - and that Suzuki is still in talks with the young Australian, who took his first win earlier this year in the rain at Le Mans.

"Suzuki's first aim was to keep both riders and we are still in negotiation with Chris," said the spokesman. "As soon as there is any news on whether Chris is staying and who the replacement for John is, we will make an announcement."

Marco Melandri and Loris Capirossi are thought to be in contention to replace Hopkins at Suzuki - Ducati star Capirossi having also been heavily linked to Kawasaki.

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:06 PM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh600RR View Post
Where's the Hopkins bashing? A while back everyone was praising him for his loyalty to Suzuki...

Anyways, hopefully this is a smart move. It's tough to know how good the ZX-RR is, but many in the paddock think it's a fast bike. Good luck to him.
Hopkins sucks! OVER-RATED! Suzuki loyalist, pfft! His eyebrows are more cropped than his girlfriend's. He's . One podium will lead to many, pssh! Whatever, him falling back in the pack is as certain as death and taxes. Should I go on?

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:10 PM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

So, it looks like then:

Repsol: Hayden, Pedrosa (will be announced by Germany)
FIAT: Rossi, Lorenzo
Works Ducati: Stoner, Melandri?
Rizla: Vermeulen, Melandri? Spies (but I don't think so, isn't he afraid of flying?)
Hanspree: Elias, JT?
Monster Kawi: Hopkins, RdP
Tech3: Guintoli, Edwards?
Pd'A: Barros, Hoff

Who else is there?

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:16 PM

does that mean we dont get to see hoppers girlfriend in those hot rizla outfits anymore???
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12 View Post
So, it looks like then:

Rizla: Vermeulen, Melandri? Spies (but I don't think so, isn't he afraid of flying?)

Who else is there?
Slight revisions:
Suzuki: Vermeulen, (Spies, Toseland, or DeAngelis)
Gresini Honda: Dovizioso, (Elias)
Kawasaki: Hopkins, Capirossi

Its hard to say what will happen with the other satellite teams. D'Antin could probably score a better rider and LCR will almost certainly upgrade from Checa. Team KR has said they will probably offer Johnny Rea a seat if they can get funding for 2 bikes.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Moto GP Racer

Spies will NOT be in MotoGP next year.

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
does that mean we dont get to see hoppers girlfriend in those hot rizla outfits anymore???
Well maybe Kawasaki will have some hot little outfits for her to wear... we can only hope.

post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Hopkins sucks! OVER-RATED! Suzuki loyalist, pfft! His eyebrows are more cropped than his girlfriend's. He's . One podium will lead to many, pssh! Whatever, him falling back in the pack is as certain as death and taxes. Should I go on?

Well he's been running in the Top 5 most of the year... so he's definitely not over-rated.

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:36 PM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
Well he's been running in the Top 5 most of the year... so he's definitely not over-rated.
Nah, I like Hopkins. I like his girlfriend more, but I like Hopper. I think on the Kawasaki, he'll be fast. His problem is that he's not consistent (not so much placement, you're right, top 5), but that he's prone to make mistakes and get too emotional which rattles him and causes him to make mistakes. With rider's like Stoner and Rossi picking off one flawless lap after another, if you want to run with the big dawgs, you gotta be perfect (or be like Rossi who's the best recovery guy I've ever seen).

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Spies will NOT be in MotoGP next year.
Don't be so sure, when Aspar was vying to get Suzuki to supply them with a satellite bike Spies' name was at the top of the Schwantz's list (Schwantz was to be the team boss/manager). Spies has said he wants to go to Moto GP and if he gets his second championship this year he'll certainly be worthy of a look. He would have a resume much stronger than what Hopper's was when he came to GP. And for Suzuki's part Spies would be one of the best options they have left available. They're not going to get Melandri or Capirossi and Dovizioso and Lorenzo are pretty much spoken for. Who does that leave? Toseland, Spies, Ant West, and any number of the satellite riders. Who knows though, maybe they would pick Colin but I think his career is nearing its end so that wouldn't be such a smart pick.
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

His name may have been at the top but he is already signed for next year. More then likely not going to happen.

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
His name may have been at the top but he is already signed for next year. More then likely not going to happen.
And who does he have a contract with? Suzuki. If Suzuki seriously wants him to forego the second year of his contract with Yoshimura what do you think Yoshimura Suzuki is going to do? Say no? Sue them? Switch to Honda?

If it were a seat on another brand I'd agree that it couldn't happen but for him to go from the AMA team to the GP team is a matter of paperwork.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

ok, but i'll bet snik's life on it that he will not be in motogp next year & u can take that to the bank.

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
ok, but i'll bet snik's life on it that he will not be in motogp next year & u can take that to the bank.
What method of execution does Snik suffer if you're wrong? I'm a big fan of animal mauling myself :P
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

o i don't care what ya do to him... hell even if i'm right u can do whatever to him.

post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
So, it looks like then:

Who else is there?
There are rumors that Gresini wont be around next year and Team KR don't look too solid. Enter Konica Minolta, who want a second bike. And maybe Ten Kate. Elias is rumored to go to the third Suzuki if it makes the grid. Edwards said he'd ride for Tech 3 IF they get Michelins or Bridgestones. And Dorna might help with the third Kawasaki.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
I agree with Slyder on that one Spies is not going anywhere

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Moto GP Racer

i would like to see Melandri on the Duc. he was doing really well on the 990 like a year or so ago and i think he could put the duc on the box regularly.

post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
I agree with Slyder on that one Spies is not going anywhere
See!! I TOLD YA SO!

post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
i would like to see Melandri on the Duc. he was doing really well on the 990 like a year or so ago and i think he could put the duc on the box regularly.
Melandri on the Duc would be a killer combo, Melandri is a top 3 rider IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page