MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Spies on a Factory GP Ride 2009!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...e/?R=EPI-93058
Ben Spies says Suzuki 2009 MotoGP deal is already done

By Matthew Birt
MotoGP
26 July 2007 09:49

Reigning American superbike champion Ben Spies reckons he’s already landed a seat in Suzuki’s factory MotoGP squad for 2009.

The 23-year-old told MCN in Laguna Seca that he plans to do as many as four wild card rides next season in preparation for his ’09 switch.

Ideally Spies wants to switch to MotoGP next season, but that seems unlikely with a planned satellite team run by American legend Kevin Schwantz not materialising with the Japanese factory refusing to run a third GSV-R in 2008.

And with Chris Vermeulen signing a new deal in Laguna Seca and Loris Capirossi expected to join him, Spies admits his factory ride hopes would have to be put on hold.

“I’m signed with American Suzuki for next year and if I did anything next year it would have to be with the Rizla team. And I don’t really know what’s happening next year, but worse case scenario I know I’ll be doing a few wild cards and in’09 going there. 2009 is 100% and next year is kind of 50-50 right now,”said Spies.

Spies has previously been reluctant to quit America but now reckons he’s ready to make the switch.

“I definitely do kind of have the GP drive now and I think I can do it, “said Spies, who has an aversion to flying. “There’s no getting around it. I don’t really like it, but I think when I spend about 400 hours in a plane in a year I’m going to get over that pretty quick. If I want to go try to be the rest or race with those guys I’ve got to do it. And I don’t want to be 35-years-old kicking myself in the teeth because I didn’t go do it. If I get the chance, I got to go.”

Spies could even get a wild card ride in Valencia at the end of this season and he added: “I’d like to do one wild card this year and I’d love to do both American rounds next year and Valencia. I’m kind of itching to get on it. If I don’t get to race the thing next year they want me on it as much as possible. They seem really open and really interested. They want to kind of work me into it.”

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"It´s not easier to ride, but I don´t need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thats cool, will be interesting to see how he does.
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 PM
cvlighthouse

Awesome news!

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:16 PM
World Superbike Racer

Sweet. I don't think he's going to be consistently running at the front of the pack every race but he's sure got the talent.

2007 CBR600RR
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's sweet! Wish him luck!

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:09 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Glad to see him move one. Unlike Mladin who just stayed in ama so he would have good chance of winning the championship each year.

2003 Black 600RR,Track , SOLD!! New track bike coming soon!!
NESBA/STT "I" #910

MADSPEED....
surf.skate.ride.drive.

post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad RR View Post
Glad to see him move one. Unlike Mladin who just stayed in ama so he would have good chance of winning the championship each year.
True. And Spies already accomplished all he could in the States. I mean motogp is serious. It's the best of the best. You can't turn down that opportunity to compete with those guys and ride million dollar machines tailored to you. It must be an incredible life to be a motogp rider.

2007 CBR600RR
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:59 PM
cvlighthouse

He should be there in 2008! He needs all the experience he can get.
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 04:11 PM
The ULTIMATE 1 Upper

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

A wise man once said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
It aint that easy to depart once u are in you are in for life regardless of what u ride
...And that's why I'm still here! :01_thumbu
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse View Post
He should be there in 2008! He needs all the experience he can get.
He should but there just isn't a spot for him next year. Big money for teams to take on another rider. All the spots are filled up.

2007 CBR600RR
post #11 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Pocketbike Racer

this is good news. im happy for him. i think 08 will be a very exciting year in motogp.
post #12 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad RR View Post
So true. Mladin talks mad **** about american riders to boot. If I remember correctlly there was a kid from kentucky that could kick his ass as well. Were did he go? Hmm... Mladin needs to win in superbike for me to even consider him great let alone GP.
post #13 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:24 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by avovoom View Post
So true. Mladin talks mad **** about american riders to boot. If I remember correctlly there was a kid from kentucky that could kick his ass as well. Were did he go? Hmm... Mladin needs to win in superbike for me to even consider him great let alone GP.
What about the 3 or 4 years prior to that. And the 2 years after. All he did was just win the Championship those years. As for Moto GP, he said time and time again that he is happy in the States. Family and his business ventures are his top priority. Not proving himself against the world. I consider him as one of the greatest riders of all times.
post #14 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:11 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
I don't think anyone would want to race when they know they couldn't win. Who wouldn't want a good chance to win the championship. He did race in GP anyway, on a 500 Cagiva that was a waste. He would put himself in that position again why?
post #15 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 56 reviews
im not a fan of spies. but its nice to have another American there.
id like to see how he does and fairs with the other riders.
should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
I wanna learn from the master king dingaling
post #16 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:21 PM

He didn't mentioned whether it is a contract with Suzuki or a contract with Rizla.. I think the wild card rides will determine if he is worthy... Chris did well on a wildcard ride...
post #17 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

How can Spies say with any certainty that he's got a ride lined up for 2009. Theres too many good riders that are available who are already familiar with the MotoGP circuits. If he wants to get into MotoGP he's got to have someone talking for him now.

John

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that
you are wicked.
Epictetus

www.johnomoto.com
Sports and Event Photography
post #18 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS757pf View Post
How can Spies say with any certainty that he's got a ride lined up for 2009. Theres too many good riders that are available who are already familiar with the MotoGP circuits. If he wants to get into MotoGP he's got to have someone talking for him now.
Probably because he is lined up with Suzuki, he has the inside track over other riders. If he is saying it's done, then the odds are it's DONE!

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #19 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I think he will make one hell of a GP rider.................

05 CBR 600rr: Black/gunmetal tribal, full Yosh titanium exhaust, Michelin PP, fender eliminator, integrated signal, and Gregg's custom's flush mounts. SOLD

K7 600: Blue/White
post #20 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

He's a rider for American Suzuki. When corporate Suzuki makes up their mind about expanding the factory team or leasing to a satellite team his name will be in the hat with other riders possibly including Max Biaggi.
So its far from done.
If he wants to go to MotoGP he can't wait for 2009, he's got to go very soon even of that means leaving Suzuki.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
Probably because he is lined up with Suzuki, he has the inside track over other riders. If he is saying it's done, then the odds are it's DONE!

John

you are wicked.
Epictetus

www.johnomoto.com
post #21 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS757pf View Post
He's a rider for American Suzuki. When corporate Suzuki makes up their mind about expanding the factory team or leasing to a satellite team his name will be in the hat with other riders possibly including Max Biaggi.
True, he does ride for AS, but he knows when his contract is up and so does Suzuki. To say they don't/can't plan for the future is a little bit ridiculous!

Max, Don't you think they would take a chance on a guy that is kicking everyones *** right now and may prove to EXCELLENT over there then a guy that already couldn't cut it! (hence why he couldn't get a GP ride this year...)

come on man, open those eyes ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS757
If he wants to go to MotoGP he can't wait for 2009, he's got to go very soon even of that means leaving Suzuki.
Why? Because you said so (lol) he's not going to screw over one Suzuki to please another.

Remember, while each division may be ran by different people they are still owned by the same company. This is obvious, you/he shouldn't shoot your left foot to get a new shoe on the right one.

post #22 of 133 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by avovoom View Post
yeah.. so this is an incorrect statement... Mladin has all the right to talk mad **** as he kicks the **** out of most of the riders who ride in AMA. Until last year no one could run with him. Ben Spies came along and has changed that now and the Nicky hayden comment... well yeah he won the championship one year... but lost a bunch before that year came. Also Mladin did go to GP's but was unsuccessful, not sure about his ride but i can't remember if it was very competitive but if u've done GP's and come back to the states and a race team will pay you a **** load of money to constantly win & your upper in age... would u say no...

on subject tho , i can't wait to see how spies does! Edwards and Spies are my favorite American riders and i believe Spies could give the GP guys a run for there money once he gets up to speed.

getting back in the game.
post #23 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Knee Dragger

Spies might just be the best rider in the world right now, With the right team he would dominate GP.
AMA would be boring as hell if he left though, you would have Mladin up front and then the rest of the riders 8 seconds back
post #24 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:01 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_RR View Post
Spies might just be the best rider in the world right now, With the right team he would dominate GP.
AMA would be boring as hell if he left though, you would have Mladin up front and then the rest of the riders 8 seconds back
Based on what? Yes he is an amazing rider in AMA, and he is my favorite of the AMA riders and would love to see him to go GP but to say he is the best rider in the world right now is far from true & there has only been one rider who has dominated GP and that is Rossi and spies does not compare to rossi in the slightest as far as talent. I think if Spies lands the right bike and right team then yes he'll be very competitive but far from dominating.

getting back in the game.
post #25 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:28 AM
World Superbike Racer

Yea AMA and motogp are so different. It's like comparing MLB to single A minors. Spies is good and will hold is own in motogp but he needs good equipment. Just like Nicky.

2007 CBR600RR
post #26 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbreen1 View Post
Yea AMA and motogp are so different. It's like comparing MLB to single A minors. Spies is good and will hold is own in motogp but he needs good equipment. Just like Nicky.

just like anyone...note rossi's points position.

GET YOUR TICKETS TO THE RED BULL INDIANAPOLIS GP!! go to www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com or call (800) 822-INDY
post #27 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:20 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelfF2 View Post
just like anyone...note rossi's points position.
Exactly. for some reason some people think that equipment doesn't matter in motogp. It's everything. You can be the best rider in the world (Rossi) and not be able to compete if your equipment isn't up to par.

2007 CBR600RR
post #28 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:06 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
Based on what? Yes he is an amazing rider in AMA, and he is my favorite of the AMA riders and would love to see him to go GP but to say he is the best rider in the world right now is far from true & there has only been one rider who has dominated GP and that is Rossi and spies does not compare to rossi in the slightest as far as talent. I think if Spies lands the right bike and right team then yes he'll be very competitive but far from dominating.
You can never really know if Spies compares to Rossi in talent until they race together but suffice it to say that it would be highly speculative to say Spies would dominate in GP. He will probably do pretty well but that depends on what team he ends up on and how quickly he adapts to the GP lifestyle and more importantly the GP riding style and the GP tracks.

After Lorenzo, Toseland, and maybe Dovizioso I'd have to say Spies is the strongest prospect for GP at the moment. The end of 2008 will be interesting though. We'll see how good Alvaro Bautista is, and we'll probably get to see how good Kenan Sofuoglu is if he moves up to WSBK.
post #29 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Irish View Post
You can never really know if Spies compares to Rossi in talent until they race together but suffice it to say that it would be highly speculative to say Spies would dominate in GP. He will probably do pretty well but that depends on what team he ends up on and how quickly he adapts to the GP lifestyle and more importantly the GP riding style and the GP tracks.

After Lorenzo, Toseland, and maybe Dovizioso I'd have to say Spies is the strongest prospect for GP at the moment. The end of 2008 will be interesting though. We'll see how good Alvaro Bautista is, and we'll probably get to see how good Kenan Sofuoglu is if he moves up to WSBK.
Very true. But here's why I'm a little concerned about Spies. motogp takes a completely different riding style. The 1k Superbikes are a point and shoot bike where the 800 gp bikes are all about momentum and corner speed. I think Lorenzo is going to be able to adapt to the 800's a lot faster. But it will be a good battle between Spies and Toseland. I think Toseland has the edge but Spies has a lot of natural talent so it's going to be good that's for sure.

2007 CBR600RR
Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 PM
UPS757pf
This message has been deleted by UPS757pf. Reason: Bad link to source
post #30 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have no doubt that Ben Spies is doing everything he can for his shot at a MotoGP ride now that the AMA season is over.
BTW, Nobu Aoki is a Suzuki wildcard for the MalaysiaGP.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=30543
Nobuatsu Aoki To Race Rizla Suzuki As Wild Card In Malaysian Grand Prix
Oct 16, 2007

From a press release issued by FIM:

Road Racing World Championship Grands Prix

Malaysian Grand Prix: wild-card riders – Warm-up and race time schedule

Sunday 21 October: Time schedule for warm-up and races (local time):
125cc warm-up: 9h40-10h00
250cc warm-up: 10h10-10h30
MotoGP warm-up: 10h40-11h05

125cc race: 12h00
250cc race: 13h15
MotoGP race: 15h00

Wild-card riders: The wild-card riders who will race in the Malaysian Grand Prix, scheduled on the circuit of Sepang on October 21 next, are the following:

Start no., Rider, Team, Nomination

125cc class
Tba, Cyril Carrillo (FRA-Honda), FFM Honda GP 125, FIM

250cc class
35, Doni Tata Pradita (INA-Yamaha), Yamaha Indonesia, FIM

MotoGP class
9, Nobuatsu Aoki (JPN-Suzuki), Rizla Suzuki MotoGP, MSMA

John

you are wicked.
Epictetus

www.johnomoto.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page