Mid-Ohio AMA Sunday races postponed - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mid-Ohio AMA Sunday races postponed

Does anyone know what they do in situations like this as far as TV goes? I really wanted to see the Supersport race and it was supposed to air right now but they are showing Laguna again and scrolling "Race postponed due to weather" at the bottom.

madbrown75 on adding Acetone to your gasoline:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrown75 View Post
"I'll try it and let you guys know. I am not scared."

07' 600RR Red/Black
Akrapovic Slipon ~ Motovation Axle & Fork Sliders ~ Shogun Frame Sliders ~ Puig Screen ~ OEM Cowl ~ Sylvania SS Bulbs ~ Modded Hotbodies Flushies ~ PC'ed Rearsets, Heatshield, Levers & Pass Pegs ~ LP Rear Blinkers ~ Painted Subframe ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 04:56 PM
World Superbike Racer

Yea I was trying to watch it too. Just watched day 1 and 2 of WSBK and then day 1 of AMA superbike. I would say wait untill 6PM and see if the Superbike race is on?

2007 CBR600RR
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Yeah. That's just afew minutes from now. Didn't realize it was airing immediately. I already know what will happen in the SBK race (Mladin or Spies) but the SS is worth watching.

Quote:

07' 600RR Red/Black
Akrapovic Slipon ~ Motovation Axle & Fork Sliders ~ Shogun Frame Sliders ~ Puig Screen ~ OEM Cowl ~ Sylvania SS Bulbs ~ Modded Hotbodies Flushies ~ PC'ed Rearsets, Heatshield, Levers & Pass Pegs ~ LP Rear Blinkers ~ Painted Subframe ~

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:23 PM
World Superbike Racer

Yea it'll be on some time this week if worse comes to worse. The Mladin Spies combo is getting real old. It's not even fun to watch anymore.

2007 CBR600RR
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 PM
World Superbike Racer

Superbike isn't on either. It's going to air tuesday.

2007 CBR600RR
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Pocketbike Racer

yea i was really really hoping to watch the SS race. hayden is tearin it up
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:11 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I worked tech for the AMA this weekend at Mid-O, and the Supersport and Superstock races were rained out. Superbike race 2 will be on Tue at 2pm on Speed.

Chadd 03 600RR

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Too bad Dave Despain ruined race 2 results for me. DONT WATCH WIND TUNNEL IF YOU WANT TO WATCH RACE 2!!

I wont spoil it for you but I wasnt pleased because he knew it hadnt aired yet and would be on speed later in the week. Nice.

Quote:

07' 600RR Red/Black
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 AM
World Superbike Racer

Well according to SPEED here's the new TV schedule... WSBK supersport is on at 12 tuesday, then AMA FX at 1, and AMA supersport at 2. Dunno how that could be if it was rained out so maybe it's going to be day 2 of superbike.

2007 CBR600RR
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:45 AM

How heavy was the rain??? Was it like GP's qualifying at Sepang last year? I doubt it...we're not a moonsoon country folks... just bloody race those machines pussies... oh wait.. I know why they cancelled the rain races... not enough CW to help out since most of them are fat bastids and no stretches to haul crashed riders out of the way... AHHAHAHAH stupid AMA...

p.s. sorry for the gripe, I hate to figure this new schedule out on my TiVo...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:36 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiKaze View Post
How heavy was the rain??? Was it like GP's qualifying at Sepang last year? I doubt it...we're not a moonsoon country folks... just bloody race those machines pussies... oh wait.. I know why they cancelled the rain races... not enough CW to help out since most of them are fat bastids and no stretches to haul crashed riders out of the way... AHHAHAHAH stupid AMA...

p.s. sorry for the gripe, I hate to figure this new schedule out on my TiVo...
It was a pretty steady downpour that started before dawn, and lasted most of the morning. It doesn't matter if it was a monsoon or a light sprinkle, because Mid-Ohio is a no-go track in the wet. There are several spots on the track that have water drain across or pool up due to the natural terrain. Turns 7, 11, 14, and 15 have tire walls/guard rails/concrete barriers within 50 feet of the track surface as well.

I have ridden Mid-O in the rain, and even when it was snowing, and it is a pretty scary thing to go through 11 with a concrete wall 25 feet to your left as your rear tire loses grip entering thunder valley. Not to mention that there are asphalt sealer "patches" in most corners that provide about as much grip as ice does when they are wet. I don't blame them one bit for not wanting to deal with that. The truth is though that it isn't the racers call, or the AMA's call. It is the track staff that determine what happens there.

What it boils down to is that there are very few tracks in the states that are any where close to the European/Asian tracks in terms of safety, facilities, and crowd draw. Unless motorcycle racing becomes vastly more popular in the U.S., or owners just start randomly building much better facilities, this is about as good as it will get.

My advice to you is that if the AMA is such a terrible thing to watch, flip the channel bro.

Chadd 03 600RR

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 07:05 PM

yeah... I usually watch AMA after I finish with MGP, WSBK, F1, GP2, Le Mans, ChampCar, Indy, SCCA, WTCC... And I never seriously watch AMA... I usually use it as a background noise.. LOL
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

AMA needs to only go to the safe tracks in the country, how bout 6 rounds at both of them! lol

seriously though, everybody I've talked to says Mid-O is flat out deadly in wet conditions and the new track surface is supposed to REALLY suck in any kind of damp conditions. Saying "race anyway" is great when your sitting on your couch but try going 120mph into a corner with zero traction looking at a big wall 15ft from the edge of a track but not being able to slow down because there is a championship on the line. These guys are not wimps, they're not afraid of rain, its the track that is the issue.

Calling these guys "pussies" it about the most retarded bullshit I've ever heard. MotoGP, WSBK, etc run in the rain because the tracks they run are designed to be safe with tons of run-off and plenty of nice soft gravel traps. Unfortunately most of the tracks aren't that safe so guess what, they don't ride in those conditions. And as wuclan said, Mid-O has problems with rivers forming on the race track, MotoGP tracks do not.

The same riders ran in the rain at Road America without having this issue because its not nearly as unsafe as Mid-O. Racing in the rain is fine with these guys but doing it at tracks that are flooded and are barely safe enough to race on in the dry is just STUPID.

Do you honestly think MotoGP would run at Mid-Ohio? why not? THIS IS THE ******* REASON BECAUSE ITS NOT SAFE

AMA does not have the luxury of choosing to only go to tracks that meet those standards because as I said earlier, that would only take them to a grand total of MAYBE 2 tracks and then you really would never stop bitching about it... But they would be able to race in the rain

Here is what I don't get Chemikaze, you make such a big deal about corner workers and having stretchers, seemingly because you understand safety concers but you can't seem to see that the track itself is a much bigger issue? If they raced there in the rain, they would definitely need a good supply of stretchers and a lot more cornerworkers and I do mean the would NEED them.

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains

Last edited by airforce101t; 08-08-2007 at 10:10 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:04 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Did this race ever happen?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Knee Dragger

It seems to me that most tracks over in europe/asia are designed for F1 racing which creates very safe conditions for motorcycles as well. The US has alot of auto club racing and the tracks are suited well for them. Until the US starts racing things other than 3,000 pound SCCA and Trans Am style cars we will always have this issue.

At least Miller Motorsports Park was designed with safety in mind.. Now lets see how the US takes to WSB..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page