Blue flags? - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Blue flags?

I didn't see the backmarkers getting away from the Ducatis while they were fighting for second.. The body position of the backmarkers were clearly involved in their own race... Dude,, WTF is that? What kind of championship is that?
The marshalls can't even track who was in front or back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
they aren't supposed to get out of the way, that almost always causes major problems. The #1 rule for lappers is to hold their line and let the faster riders get around them on their own.

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

"the lappers didn't react the way I think they should, AMA SUCKS"

sorry dude, but I've got one word for you: BANDWAGON

my prediction for your next three threads:
1. "the grass isn't green enough at the track! AMA SUCKS"
2. "I don't like Jordan Suzuki's paint jobs! AMA SUCKS!"
3. "My watch stopped working! AMA SUCKS!"

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains

Last edited by airforce101t; 08-24-2007 at 10:45 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce101t View Post
"the lappers didn't react the way I think they should, AMA SUCKS"

sorry dude, but I've got one word for you: BANDWAGON

my prediction for your next three threads:
1. "the grass isn't green enough at the track! AMA SUCKS"
2. "I don't like Jordan Suzuki's paint jobs! AMA SUCKS!"
3. "My watch stopped working! AMA SUCKS!"
your three predictions would call for a triple lol in this piece.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

There are blue flags in FIA and FIM regulations... I just don't get it? Maybe you don't get it why having blue flags is safer. Let's agree to disagree.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

sorry I misunderstood what part you were complaining about. So is your issue that they didn't use blue flags or that you didn't see the blue flags?

because AMA DOES use blue flags
at VIR the flaggers are in the little huts (the corner workers standing next to guardrails aren't flaggers), I watched the part of that race you are talking (in slow motion) and I'm pretty sure I saw two flaggers with blue flags but its hard to tell because they could only be seen when the camera was facing their backs. Blue flags are very clear at tracks like Barber where corner stations are in areas that can be seen more easily by the cameras.

Now I wasn't there and like I said, there was never a clear view of any of the flaggers when lappers were coming into play but AMA has used blue flags at all the races I've been to/watched (how many times this year has freddie commented on the lappers not always seeing the blue flags? at least 10)

if your pissed because Speed didn't show you every corner station and what flags were or were not being shown, maybe you should take it up with them. Tell them you think they should stop watching the racing and zoom in on the corner stations instead so you can keep an eye on how the cornerworkers to their jobs?

WERA/NESBA #409
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 25 reviews
i'm not sure about all the sarcasm towards Chemi but it's been known for quite sometime and voiced by a lot of the top riders that backmarkers don't always do what they are supposed to and have even caused a few wrecks or 2 when being lapped.

getting back in the game.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

that usually happens when the lappers try to move out of the way. For example, they move out wide to let the leaders pass on the inside but one of the leaders is already trying to pass on the outside and gets hit.

and I agree sometimes they don't see the blue flag and are still riding defensively in their own race but that isn't the AMA's fault. They have a riders meeting every weekend where these things are explained in detail.

Chemi is just reaching for things to bitch about and blame the AMA for... imho

WERA/NESBA #409

Last edited by airforce101t; 08-27-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:21 AM
Slyder
This message has been deleted by Slyder.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

whats opposite? First I said they are supposed to hold their line and let the leaders get around, then I said they aren't supposed to try to move out of the way because thats usually what causes problems??? the two are the same...

WERA/NESBA #409
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce101t View Post
For example, they move out wide to let the leaders pass on the inside but one of the leaders is already trying to pass on the outside and gets hit.
this is what i was saying. they are supposed to hold there line.. but a lot of them do the opposite... above which doesn't do anything but cause problems. it should be made clear as day what to do if u are getting lapped. if you don't do it, there has to be a consequence becuz all it does is put their safety and other riders safety in jeopardy.

and then on top of that, they make it worse when they try to "run" with them after they have been passed.

getting back in the game.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Hey guys...... it's friggin racing. If you are looking behind you then you are obviously not going fast enough. The leaders should be able to handle a few lap riders, blue flags or not. For those slower guys it's just like being passed by someone that was behind you who took a different line then you did. I think the blue flag actually makes them panic a bit more and forget that they are still racing.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

AirFoce:
Don't take my rant too seriously.. but I do love the way you are so passionate about defending the AMA! LOL
Well, I am glad that AMA does have blue flags, so if I don't see it then it is no big deal because the Speed camera crew usually have lousy angle of the track anyways and their usually aren't able to catch any action like when Ben Spies when off track or shots of crashers.. or replaying them if the shots aren't live... Besides, I never really liked how Speed or any of the US method of producing racing TV. They usually break off to talk about Ben Bonstrom fooling around with Spies' tires or talk about some back marker's lifestyle.. I don't care for the racer's personal life, I want to see racing..

Perhaps, the reason why AMA back markers don't see blue flags is because flags are supposed to be waved on the straights long before the leaders come rushing through and not in the corners last minute... since most of our flags are waved in the corners especially when away from the peripheral vision of the racers, then duh!

^too many spell errors... idiot!

Last edited by ChemiKaze; 08-29-2007 at 11:17 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

I completely agree that the AMA needs to change some things to make the racing better but imo the cornerworkers not waving the blue flags is not quite the downfall of the series. Not only that but how do you even know when they backmarkers do/don't see the blue flags? What was wrong with the VIR FX race? both Ducati's made it through the lappers as well as can be expected considering how one-line VIR is in most sections.

Comparing AMA lappers to WSBK and MotoGP is a bad comparison in the first place, like it or not AMA IS just a national series which means there will be a lot more privateers racing which leads to more riders getting lapped which will occasionally be a problem. IMO the AMA lappers almost always do a great job of letting the leaders get by cleanly. Remember pretty much every single AMA race has lapped riders (usually 5 races every weekend) but you don't see big incidents every race or every weekend. Most of the time you barely even notice the lappers.

I'm all for talking about what AMA needs to change or do better but all I'm sayin is pick your battles man. Picking out stupid little, barely relevant or even plausible things to bitch about online doesn't help or solve anything. You can easily convince people to NOT watch or attend AMA races which will only hurt the sport as a whole in this country in the long run. Don't like how Speed covers AMA races? send them or better yet the production company that actaully does the AMA races and e-mail with your suggestions. Join the AMA and send them your feedback. Contact Morgan Broadhead directly (he's really not hard to get in touch with) with your concerns.

An online debate is fun and all but whats the point if all your gonna say is how stupid the AMA is? I sure don't get it...

WERA/NESBA #409
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

You know... you are right.. I do bitch about but mostly for fun.. It took a long time for me to understand AMA than it did with FIM regulations aka WSB and MGP... Furthermore, the AMA riders ride in so many classes and have different numbers just adds to the confusion.. I noticed that the AMA cameras and the MGP cameras were in different locales... I remembered reading that some network wanted to do their own camera work when they bought the rights to their country's race but Dorna said no... you will only get the feed and do what the Spanish and Italian commentators do, which is to report the race as Dorna airs it... At first, I was thinking "what's the harm in that?" Now, I can see is that Dorna airings has a certain unique quality to it... It is as if the brand broadcast is unique and easily identifiable. BSB and WSB have the same commercial rights holder so their airings are unique too... AMA looks plain Speed.. There is no distinguishing factor from Speed's AMA presentation and Speed's Nascar presentation... ok.. I may be exagarating but the AMA folks gotta realize the brand they have and take control of it and not to cheap it out with decentralized planning...

here are a couple of pics of a local amatuer race... look at the CW and stretchers!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Lifetime Premium

3 classes for 2009, hehe
I don't really see why everybody thinks AMA rules are so complex, the names aren't self explanatory but its basically just 4 classes; 600 superstock (Supersport) and superbike (FX) and 1000 superstock (Superstock)and superbike (Superbike).

I would like to see factory riders only allowed to ride in say FX and Superbike or something like that but at the same time, if Supersport was limited to privateers it would probably never get any tv time and more casual fans probably wouldn't even watch it, which in 2009 would lead to only having 2 or 3 primary races in a weekend which means a LOT of down time at the track for fans. In other parts of the world this isn't a problem, Europeans go to races, camp at the track, and just hang out all weekend but most American fans show up to watch the big races and leave as soon as its over to beat the traffic leaving. People that watch say 5 races in a weekend are much more likely to start watching the races regularly than somebody who watches 2 races. Most car races in the US are a LOT longer than a motorcycle race so they don't have to worry about having more than one or two races each weekend.

the way I see it, the AMA is a long way from having enough pull to control how the races are produced. MotoGP and WSBK are broadcast all over the world to massive audiences, and BSB is actually moderately popular in the UK. Motorcycle roadracing in the US is closer in popularity to lawnmower racing than nascrap and drag racing that speed makes most of its money off of so we don't get all the perks and cool production stuff that ther other championships you mentioned get.

IMO the sport has to grow in the country before AMA starts making demands from Speed channel and I don't think the lower ratings is because the graphics for the races are the same as other races on Speed.

It may sound like I'm defending the AMA but honestly I think they're moving in the right direction (finally, it was a major disaster for a while) and I think promoting AMA racing and the sport as a whole is more important than my dislike of the graphics they use for AMA races on Speed channel. I'd much rather talk a few people into attending an AMA race that have never been to one before than tell them about how I don't like production company that Speed uses for AMA races.

WERA/NESBA #409
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

The Supersport class doesn't have to be limited to privateers... Take Ten Kate for example.. HM Plant? The big boys do their stuff while up and coming big boys do their stuff in the 600.. so AMA is doing SBK, SS, and Stock 1K for 09?
I am glad they brought back a spec class racing via the RB Academy..
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

one of the problems with AMA imo is that the factories have, in the past, spread out into the classes to win championships and stayed out of Superbike. Its not really a problem now that all the factory riders are in the class and actually once there are only 3 classes it shouldn't be an issue at all but I would still like to see one class where factory riders aren't allowed. That would keep the factory riders competing against each other so no more classes with one factory team fighting against a bunch of privateers and would give the smaller teams/privateers a chance to show what they've got.

They're cutting out Superstock in 09 and basically making Superbike a little closer, rules wise to superstock which should bring all the factories to about the same level so the racing will be better.

WERA/NESBA #409
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Actually, I think the new AMA SBK rules conforms to FIM regulations.. not so much to FIM Superstock rules..
So what are the other classes? Supersport and superstock 600?

Did you see the Misano wash out... They shouldn't have that in the calendar with floods like that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page