mY letter to roaracing world about Dunlop.. - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mY letter to roaracing world about Dunlop..

What kind of bullshit is that that the Ama bows down to Dunlop becuase thier tires won't go the full distance of a scheduled superbike race???

I can guarantee you that had it been michelin,bridgeston or pirelli that asked for the race to be shortened it would NEVER EVER happened.

Dunlop gives factory teams tires that are not available to any other team and we wonder why there are only a few guys up front at any given race.

Dunlop is still trying to bully other tire manufactures out ama racing completly by black balling them from testing at tracks with any of the other teams and it's getting old.

I can tell you that there will never ever be a dunlop on any of my motorcycles...

Tommy Morgan

Ocala, Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Superbike racer

I only ride on Dunlops and don't see me changing anytime soon. You ride a Honda and they have done their fair share of bullying over the years...

CCS EX#100
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
I only ride on Dunlops and don't see me changing anytime soon. You ride a Honda and they have done their fair share of bullying over the years...
+1

They do that $hit because they can, because they are the best tires available here in the States.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIQPEN View Post
+1

They do that $hit because they can, because they are the best tires available here in the States.
Along with pirellis of course. :)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
+1

u must run dunlops cuz there a gazillion others owners that will disagree with you.

getting back in the game.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Along with pirellis of course. :)
What has Pirelli won? They can hardly place, at the national level or the club level (at least out here). I don't hate pirelli, that is what I rode before switching to Dunlop. To each his own, but results speak for themselves.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Moto GP Racer

results mean **** when there is a monopoly is the sport. Look at WSBK. they put a spec tire rule in effect and it not only makes the racing much closer but it also then trickles down to their street tires. Now DCIII's are the tires to run on the street and for trackdays. Not long ago it was Michelin's Pilot Powers that were top dog. When a company actually has a chance to do quality on the track R&D it shows in there end product. However those tires work on the euro tracks, pirelli and michelin don't get alot of feedback from the AMA/US riders becuz A.) most of them run dunlops & B.) there aren't enough good riders to test/run their tires and actually get quality data from those riders.

When u pretty much have a tire manufac making individual tires for riders/teams it not only gives the top riders an advantage but in a sense those individuals an advantage.

You make it a rule that tire manufactures bring equal tires for everyone and i bet you the racing is a little closer.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 10:29 AM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Dunlops are good tires. The 209GP tires are still very good and competitive. Michelin, before the PPs, were a crap tire. Honestly, the only reason why the PPs were the street/track tire of choice was hype and word of mouth. It wasn't until the recall of the PPs that the DC3s starting picking up steam. But, if you didn't know, the regular Diablo Corsas are still a very good tire and will serve much of us well on the street AND on the track. WSBK didn't sell Pirellis. It's us the consumers that promoted the DC3. The Supercorsas have been around for ages and it's just NOW being talked about as an alternative, acceptable DOT race tire!

And to be quite honest, for all the Pirelli owners, if you took a chance and tried the new Bridgestone BT-002 tires, you'd probably switch to those! Because they're that much better. Tire technology is only going to get better. Whatever racing at the top level that takes place is only going to help drive that development. In the end though, it's going to be us that helps to sell it.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
results mean **** when there is a monopoly is the sport. Look at WSBK. they put a spec tire rule in effect and it not only makes the racing much closer but it also then trickles down to their street tires. Now DCIII's are the tires to run on the street and for trackdays. Not long ago it was Michelin's Pilot Powers that were top dog. When a company actually has a chance to do quality on the track R&D it shows in there end product. However those tires work on the euro tracks, pirelli and michelin don't get alot of feedback from the AMA/US riders becuz A.) most of them run dunlops & B.) there aren't enough good riders to test/run their tires and actually get quality data from those riders.

When u pretty much have a tire manufac making individual tires for riders/teams it not only gives the top riders an advantage but in a sense those individuals an advantage.

You make it a rule that tire manufactures bring equal tires for everyone and i bet you the racing is a little closer.
I agree that there are disadvantages that come from Dunlop being dominate, however, it doesn't change the fact that they are unrivaled in the series. They are not a monoply for any other reason then there tires are good for 1.5-2 seconds a lap at the top level, for the blessed few that get them.
Yes, a spec tire rule would make the racing closer, but I think it also stifles technology development. It would be better if Pirelli kept at the R&D and became more competitive.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Premium

I somewhat agree with the original poster but at the same time the first superbike race was a crash fest. The TV coverage didn't do it justice. Also, it may seem like the AMA did it for Dunlop but at the same time, having 8 of the top 10 riders pitting for new tires while 5 or 6 more crash out due to tire failures or just riding on destroyed tires would have been a real disaster. More so than looking like they did it for a tire company.

they did the same thing at Daytona, but they made the decision before the weekend started, its nothing new.

I probably wouldn't have told everybody that they were doing it at Dunlops request though, that definitely makes them look bad.

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
I agree that there are disadvantages that come from Dunlop being dominate, however, it doesn't change the fact that they are unrivaled in the series. They are not a monoply for any other reason then there tires are good for 1.5-2 seconds a lap at the top level, for the blessed few that get them.
Yes, a spec tire rule would make the racing closer, but I think it also stifles technology development. It would be better if Pirelli kept at the R&D and became more competitive.
but without some kind of rule to keep the tire distribution equal among all the riders and/or setting rules towards how many tires u can use/bring to an event it makes it hard for a company... Pirelli/Michelin to do any kind of hardcore R&D if there aren't enough riders using the tires or quality riders using the tires... i.e. the monopoly. there are probably 5 riders top running something other then Dunlops and they are ALL privateers.

But with the spec tire rule in WSBK you now have people going out and buying pirelli's over dunlop and michelin street wise becuz there R&D and time on the track has improved there street tire.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12 View Post
Dunlops are good tires. The 209GP tires are still very good and competitive. Michelin, before the PPs, were a crap tire. Honestly, the only reason why the PPs were the street/track tire of choice was hype and word of mouth. It wasn't until the recall of the PPs that the DC3s starting picking up steam. But, if you didn't know, the regular Diablo Corsas are still a very good tire and will serve much of us well on the street AND on the track. WSBK didn't sell Pirellis. It's us the consumers that promoted the DC3. The Supercorsas have been around for ages and it's just NOW being talked about as an alternative, acceptable DOT race tire!

And to be quite honest, for all the Pirelli owners, if you took a chance and tried the new Bridgestone BT-002 tires, you'd probably switch to those! Because they're that much better. Tire technology is only going to get better. Whatever racing at the top level that takes place is only going to help drive that development. In the end though, it's going to be us that helps to sell it.
thats the other thing too....

in recent years it went Bridestone bt-010 where the tire to have then michelin PP and now DCIII. but yet you don't see any or very few AMA riders sporting Stones, Michelins or Pirelli tires.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
What kind of bullshit is that that the Ama bows down to Dunlop becuase thier tires won't go the full distance of a scheduled superbike race???
Here we go again..more of this stuff....
Dunlop made a safety recomendation the AMA made the decision, if you raced you would know that Safety is a big concern to those of us that do. Maybe you haven't ridden RA latley, but it EATS tire...bad and these guys are rally chewing then up so I would vote for safety instead of seeing Matt, Ben, or ANY racer end up in the wall comming down T12, that wall is about 4 feet from the edge of the track, and typically you are pinned in 5th commnig down hill on the right side....on a track that is mostly rights.

Quote:
I can guarantee you that had it been michelin,bridgeston or pirelli that asked for the race to be shortened it would NEVER EVER happened.
Sure it would have. It is a SAFETY issue, the AMA is VERY keen to any safety issue.

Quote:
Dunlop gives factory teams tires that are not available to any other team and we wonder why there are only a few guys up front at any given race.
Last time I checked that wasn't illegal. You have to Pay to Play ask any competative racer. Until AMA goes to a Spec Tire, deal with it. The Factory teams always get better gear...just wait until you outdrive a factory ride on the same bike only to have him walk you from half straight (where the power difference shows - the first half is almost always drive) thefactory teams get all kind sof good kit unavailable to ANYONE else...Even MJ is pissed about that, but he has the money so he develops his own kit....hmm there is a solution develop a better tire...oh wait that costs money also!

Quote:
Dunlop is still trying to bully other tire manufactures out ama racing completly by black balling them from testing at tracks with any of the other teams and it's getting old.
Yeah, I mean Dunlop pays for that track time so they should let everyone ride...come on, seriously?

Quote:
I can tell you that there will never ever be a dunlop on any of my motorcycles...
Well you would never get a set of Race Hoops anyway...hell even WERA Experts have issues getting the best stuff...but what do I know, I only raced them for a good long while.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
u must run dunlops cuz there a gazillion others owners that will disagree with you.
oh come on man, every true racer know that the KR series are the absolute best tires available in the US (I've used them along with other full blown race tires). Sorry if you dont know what im talking about, but if you want to win you want to be on dunlops.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyMalice View Post
if you want to win you want to be on dunlops.
yeah... if your in the US... my point is pretty sound... other then the US Series... where is dunlop in any of the other series... NO ONE Runs dunlops except for 1 team in GP and i'm not even sure about the rest of the series but to my knowledge the only place Dunlop is mass used is in the US... so basically it has a monoply in the US but is useless anywhere else so if u think Dunlops are that great then why doesn't anyone else use them..? Even before the Spec Tire rule in WSBK, almost no one used Dunlops there either.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 01:11 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Its not illegal, but I think its garbage. Isn't having the racers decide the races instead of the tires the major contention in motogp this year? Personally, I race michelin and I've never ran a set of PPs on the street or anywhere else. Every company in racing has done thier share of bullying in some market: HRC everywhere, dunlop in the states, pirelli in wsbk before the spec tire rule, suzuki in ama superbike, the list goes on. its inconsistent to villanize one company when they all do it. And, what kind of tires do those 250/125cc guys use again? wait... nevermind.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:39 PM
BOTM Winner 12/08

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
What has Pirelli won? They can hardly place, at the national level or the club level (at least out here). I don't hate pirelli, that is what I rode before switching to Dunlop. To each his own, but results speak for themselves.
Crawl out from under your rock.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=28451
Plus they have dominated the IOM TT races for several years.
And at the club level, in my classes all but of few are on Pirellis. Those that aren't are far from winning.

'01 SV650S '04 DR650 '95 VFR750F '85 VF500F '83 DT-80K '07 600RR '10 RSV4-R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page