What is the difference between MGP champions and AMA champions? - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What is the difference between MGP champions and AMA champions?

My guess is when a MGP champion (former or current) goes down, he gets up immediately and tries continuing to race.
When an AMA champion (former or current) goes down, he stays down and the red flag goes up and he rejoins the race..

Sigh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thats retarded, I was there
Ben took a massive hit in the balls by the bike. He was still walkin funny the next day. The red flag was out almost immediately anyway.

red flag didn't have much to do with Ben, that area of the track is surrounded by concrete walls about 20ft on each side of the track, there is no way to get the bike out of impact zone without rolling a crash truck. He could have jumped up and started doing jumpin jacks and they still would have had to bring out the red flag. The WERA endurance race at Road A was red flagged 5 times before they decided to call it complete and WERA will defininitely do anything to not red flag an endurance race

Sorry to burst your bubble (again) but thats just part of racing at Road Atlanta

what was that about MotoGP? I remember a few of Rossi's crashes where he just stood up in the gravel trap and walked in circles a few times before trying to pick the bike up and get back in the race when he wasn't injured.

it doesn't matter what championship you've won getting hit in the balls that hard will send anybody to the ground.

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains

Last edited by airforce101t; 09-06-2007 at 11:13 PM.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Superbike racer

as much as i think ChemiKaze's off base i will say that i do not believe that a racer at any level that actually causes a red flag should be allowed to resume in the race. You crash and cause a red flag, you are done for the race

CCS EX#100

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 06:50 AM

Lots of articles/shows are saying Spies did stay there on purpose to get a red flag....I am undecided on it, but regardless, I think Spies is a dink anyway.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 25 reviews
what i think is retard is that a corner was running around the bike and ben clapping his hands yet the only flag being waved was the red one in the booth area but nothing around the crash.. instead the guy is clapping his hands pointing riders away from the crash.. that is stupid.

getting back in the game.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
as much as i think ChemiKaze's off base i will say that i do not believe that a racer at any level that actually causes a red flag should be allowed to resume in the race. You crash and cause a red flag, you are done for the race

I definitely agree with that, they need to change that rule

as for what the cornerworker did, it was the best thing in that section. Its downhill after cresting the top at the "new chicane" and its very one line with limited view. Its hard to see flags in that area anyway just because they're not right in your view and your focused on getting the esses right. Had that cornerworker not been there I would not have been suprised if another rider ran right over ben and/or his bike.

I personally don't believe he stayed there to bring out a red, he didn't have to for one, it was already out before he would have had time to think about it for one, and also I don't think Ben Spies is stupid enough to lay in the track on the racing line in that section even after the red flag is out because thats the kind of place you can get run over in a hurry

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

they don't have roaming flagmen, they stay in the booths (its hard to carry around 20 flags)

WERA/NESBA #409
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
+1

It looked like Spies putting on an act to me, but it sounds like it would have been red flagged regardless. It isn't the first time this has happened this season, Mladin did it in Utah also.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Well it sounds as though he didnt stay there to cause a red but I'd like to think he did cause I dont like him.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 03:01 PM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't know... It seems to happen to Spies a lot, if he crashes, inevitably, he's down for a while, red flag comes out, he remounts and he's a "tremendous champion". I watched the video over and over; he hits the deck, looks to be getting up, but then thinks otherwise. Goes down, first grabs his arm, then grabs his nuts. I would've never had thought it had he not tried to get up. Then, shaking his arm a bit, the announcer asks his crew chief what happened. His answer, "Racked his nuts" (paraphrase), but no mention of the arm. Spies is a good actor. Him and Vlade Divac should get together and create an acting troop.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

how many red flags during a race has Spies caused?

define "a lot"

WERA/NESBA #409

Last edited by airforce101t; 09-07-2007 at 03:14 PM.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

i don't understand.. how the hell can you not like Ben Spies?

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
i don't understand.. how the hell can you not like Ben Spies?
I think he is a **** too. I think it has something to do with riders that sign with Yosh, eventually they become dicks

CCS EX#100
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I never thought I would dislike someone more than I dislike Mat Mladin, but good ole Benny came along and prooved me wrong.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

yea... perhaps being a Yoshi rider makes you a **** actor...
Mat and Ben seem to be actors on track...
There was a controversy in the world 125 race as well when Luthi crashed and the KTM guys filed an appeal that if you caused a red, you should not be allowed to score any points...
Forget about dropping back to the grid, you are not allowed to score points period... this dropping back rule seems to reward aggressive riding..
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

what is it ya'll dislike so much?

WERA/NESBA #409
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 12:25 AM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How about as Ben was making a charge up from the back of the pack after the red flag, he managed to put himself in a place, squeezing Jamie Hacking to the outside, but wait... who's on the outside of Hacking? Tommy Hayden. So basically, what I thought was a crap move was Ben Spies inserting his bike in a place where someone already was, causing another rider to crash. Hacking had no where to go. I don't blame Hacking, I blame Spies. So, what? So he can rack his nuts and say he got second? What a great champion!

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

^^ exactly.. now Ben came from the CMRA ranks and while it is nice to have a great rider from this part of the woods, the rules is obviously not a good one...
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 06:35 AM

I dont mind so much his riding as his attitude, since he started winning a few AMA races he has become arrogant and likes to blame the bike/setup when he doesnt win.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooper View Post
I dont mind so much his riding as his attitude, since he started winning a few AMA races he has become arrogant and likes to blame the bike/setup when he doesnt win.
I am with you. At 1st I wanted him to dethrone Mladin, but now that he has I think he has become an arrogant prick

CCS EX#100
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Moto GP Racer

o well maybe you guys spend more time with him. I personally have never heard him dis the bike or his crew for him not winning... considering the fact that he has been up front almost every race since he came to superbike.

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 09:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

yeha i'm sorry but i guess i missed that as well. From what I've read or heard Ben say, if he doesn't win or crashes it is either because he messed up somewhere or that him and his team couldn't come up with a package that was faster than Mat's.

I still think Mat is a prick but it gives him the edge the beat Ben alot of times so I can't blame him too much. No more than i can blame either of them using the rules to their advantage.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 AM

Now that you guys have heard these comments about Ben and his Big head, watch a couple interviews and prerace stuff and see if you can see it. And if you need another reason to disilke him how about this.....he's scared to fly! What a *****! Hahahahahah.
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:13 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

well then wouldn't that be us just judging him based on a skewed perspective? I mean, I knew nothing about him (except for the flying thing) and just picked up that he was a racer just like anybody who was racing very well. I never saw any big headedness. I saw confidence but all of the big guys are confident.

I didn't think he was "cool" either. I mean, the racers who have personalities that I like are not the guys that win usually. But I'm sure that they have bad days too and aren't in the mood to talk to reporters or fans. Actually, I not only expect it but I respect that. It's the people who do douchey things like Hopkins trying to kick whatshisname at Laguna during Qualifying; that's just not cool.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

Ben's always seemed like a good guy to me, a little confident but that goes with the gig. He's always admitted his mistakes before talking about set-up issues and usually when he does mention set-up its followed by "I just didn't have it this weekend" or something like that. I've talked to him in the paddock a few times and he's always the guy that just walks around talking to people. Most riders limit their conversation with fans to "Hi [signs autograph], thanks for coming" but Ben was the one that would have a real conversation anyone if he wasn't going somewhere. You talk about his "attitude" that your judging based on a couple sentences at a time after finishing a long race or before when he's getting ready to go racing but what about when he gives a new AMA racer that came up through CMRA a ride back to the pits after the guy crashes. He's one of the only factory riders that goes out of his way to help out the new guys to the AMA paddock and IMO thats not all that "big headed".

His pre-race interviews are usually "try to get a good start and see what we can do"

Obviously he's a busy guy racing Superbike and Superstock and battling for the championship in both

WERA/NESBA #409
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I agree.. Ben is a pretty good guy that helped a couple of CMRA folks on advice... but what is the dilly with falling off and staying down... Do AMA champions fall any weirder than regular AMA guys? The regulars do jump up and try to get back on the bike but Mat and Ben love to stay down and get a restart... ok, maybe not love the trend is like an exploitation of the rule..
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:20 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

again, chock that up to the rulebook. shiiiiiiii- if i were fighting for the championship with a guy i don't like; i'd do everything within the rules to win as long as it doesn't involve me compromising myself and staying down doesn't sound that bad to me.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp182 View Post
It's the people who do douchey things like Hopkins trying to kick whatshisname at Laguna during Qualifying; that's just not cool.
I would have bitchslapped him. Hopper shouldn't have kicked him, but I can understand why he did it

CCS EX#100
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Superbike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce101t View Post
Ben's always seemed like a good guy to me, a little confident but that goes with the gig. He's always admitted his mistakes before talking about set-up issues and usually when he does mention set-up its followed by "I just didn't have it this weekend" or something like that. I've talked to him in the paddock a few times and he's always the guy that just walks around talking to people. Most riders limit their conversation with fans to "Hi [signs autograph], thanks for coming" but Ben was the one that would have a real conversation anyone if he wasn't going somewhere. You talk about his "attitude" that your judging based on a couple sentences at a time after finishing a long race or before when he's getting ready to go racing but what about when he gives a new AMA racer that came up through CMRA a ride back to the pits after the guy crashes. He's one of the only factory riders that goes out of his way to help out the new guys to the AMA paddock and IMO thats not all that "big headed".

His pre-race interviews are usually "try to get a good start and see what we can do"

Obviously he's a busy guy racing Superbike and Superstock and battling for the championship in both
He may very well be a "good guy", but he should get a PR guy to help him out cause during his interviews he comes across as very arrogant

CCS EX#100
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 12:27 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

well that's his management team. obviously if he ever wants to go to GP he'll need to step his interview game up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page