Wanting to get started in AMA Supersport class - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wanting to get started in AMA Supersport class

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask some of you AMA Supersport ( the 600cc class ) racers some questions. First of all I am going to get a bike and start getting involved in the AMA. I am 19 years old and weigh 140lbs. However, my big question is this; Should I buy a bike with very low miles that is a few years old, a bike that is already a race bike that is still in decent condition, or should I go for brand new off the showroom floor? I want a bike that will allow me to be not too far behind everyone as far as technology goes. Oh and yes I want a Honda (: Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Pocketbike Racer

oh this should be good
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Well most people here will tell you to get a 250 to start on with or without any previous bike experience and i bet you will learn alot from those. Since you're 19 im sure theres not much experience if any.

07 600RR - Black
-1/+2 Vortex sprockets
6000K Hids
Leo Vince SBK Carbon/carbon
Pazzo shorties
Proton flushmounts
Shogun Sliders
Tripage FE and 06 CA tail lights

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnnit View Post
Well most people here will tell you to get a 250 to start on with or without any previous bike experience and i bet you will learn alot from those. Since you're 19 im sure theres not much experience if any.
why's that? You don't think he could have raced or tracked a mini supersport as a youngster? you know honda does produce the NSR50 for a reason...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiles View Post
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask some of you AMA Supersport ( the 600cc class ) racers some questions. First of all I am going to get a bike and start getting involved in the AMA. I am 19 years old and weigh 140lbs. However, my big question is this; Should I buy a bike with very low miles that is a few years old, a bike that is already a race bike that is still in decent condition, or should I go for brand new off the showroom floor? I want a bike that will allow me to be not too far behind everyone as far as technology goes. Oh and yes I want a Honda (: Any info will be greatly appreciated!
If you want to start racing (off the top of my head):

*By a used race bike. You will save a lot of time and money over building the bike yourself. When you get to the point where you are fast enough to try pro or semi pro racing then consider upgrading to building your own bike.

*Enter a series where you can afford the budget. Don't try to start out in AMA, you'll just be wasting your time. Do some club racing where you can afford the travel, fuel, entry and tire bills and work on winning there. You might want to try one of the 250cc series or SV650 cup to start out.

*Get professional instruction. Do California Superbike School, Freddie Spencer's School, and/or Kevin Schwantz's school. You may also want to try American Supercamp. Do not spend money on upgrading the bike until you've spent money on upgrading your skills. When you are at the point where you are getting close to everything you can out of the bike, then upgrade the performance of the bike.

*Track time, track time, track time. Get as much experience racing as possible and if that's not enough do some track days.

*Before you do an AMA pro race make sure you can post competitive lap times at the same track you intend to race. No point in spending the time, energy, and money to do an AMA pro race only to find that you can't make the qualifying cutoff or that you'll be racing for last place.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 PM

u have great ambition... hope ur parents have a lot of money. have u even been on a sportbike
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

post up what motorcycle experience you've got.
You have to start out club racing (WERA, CCS, WSMC, etc), with WERA you have to finish in the top 5 of a championship or at the GNF to get your expert WERA license. Some orgs only require you to accumulate a certain number of points to move to expert. Once your an expert you have to collect enough points to get your AMA license on an AMA legal bike. Once you have enough points you are allowed to enter an AMA race (other than Superbike). Then of course you have to qualify.

If your not already racing, it'll take a few years to get to the AMA, assuming you are running up front the whole way through

Running an SV or something as a Novice a full season will get you an expert license (the 600 class with WERA at least, is VERY competitive) but once your an expert, the points you collect on an SV won't go towards getting your AMA license

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Wow shows how much I didn't know haha Basically I have been around motorsports my whole life and I seem to excel at anything I touch that has to do with racing. I raced motocross most of my early and teenage years and did very well with that when I lived in Socal. Now I live in Tampa Fl. Sportbike racing has always been my dream and I honestly have no clue where to start. This may sound dum, but I was hoping it would be possible that when I first start I can still use my bike as a form of transportation. Not daily, but still be able to ride it on the streets. Anyways, can someone tell me what these other leagues and series are? So I guess this makes my question, how can I start in a 600cc class? Like I said, I am currently in Florida.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

sent you a pm that should help

Do you have any street riding experience or sportbike experience at all? You really need to be comfortable on a sportbike before you get out on the track. Once you've got some miles under your belt, go to a trackday or a school. You have to do a school to get your race license, Ed Bargy has the best school in Florida IMO, check out his website

CCS has a Florida region thats all Florida tracks, thats definitely the best org to run with in your area.

I haven't ridden with CCS but I know the 600 class is a really tough class to start off in. Go to a race sometime and check it out, there should be a few more CCS Florida weekends this year. Talk to some racers and get a feel for how everything is run and what classes you like/dislike. Personally, I would suggest something like an SV650 to start out on, at least for the first year.

If your racing, using your race bike on the street is difficult and imo close to impossible. I'm sure some do it, but it would take a lot of work to change it over from one to the other.

Its MUCH MUCH cheaper to buy a used race bike than it is to buy a street legal bike and convert it to race ready. There is a LOT of prep work, safety wiring, etc that has to be done to race, and street bikes sell for a lot more than used race bikes do.

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:34 PM

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Superbike racer

Maybe some club racing would be a good way to get started. I know some very fast club racers that don't make the top 10 in the AMA

CCS EX#100
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i'm no expert in racing but seeing that you are young and have mx experience, i say go for it. it may take you a while to get to where you want to be but just take ur time learning and practice. there's lots of knowledgable members here that will give u great advice. definitely take classes and invest in track days, and preferrable a used bike thats close to being track ready as much as possible. don't buy new, ur just gonna lay it down eventually. there's plenty of used RR's in the for sale section that u can choose from. good luck!

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones input (: I have already got in contact with a few very helpful members from this site (:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
good luck to you man...if you are real serious go for it!...

2006 CBR 600RR v.2 (picked up 08/18/2007)
2006 CBR 600RR v.1 (lowsided 07/22/07 @ appx. 9:55am)
1996 Honda Prelude VTEC
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan (R.I.P. 12/22/2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page