Help Motogp Question!!! - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Macho Office Monkey

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help Motogp Question!!!

Ok so it begins.....I have the rc211v as my wallpaper on my work computer. I was talking to some ppl at work todat and they were asking, "Is that the bike you want next blah blah" I said no that is a motorcycle that is comperable to a formula 1 car. They both are used for high speed racing. I did not want to get into it much more than that. Anyway a few dudes were asking me my thoughts on how much on of these bikes are worth. I guesses really high like upwords of like 500,000 cause I have no fricken clue I am probably out to lunch. Then we started taking about the the cost of a stock car and formula 1 cars. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to let you guys/gals know why I want to know. So anyone with any ideas with how much these cost please let me know money is on the line LOL Ok lunch is on the line.

Motogp $ =
Nascar $ =
Formula1 $ =

PS I look on the net and I am having a hard time finding info. Please let me know where you got your info from and please dont guess if possible unless its a very educated one. Thanks Dudes!!!

08 600rr Orange/Black
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=144174
Wifes new ride so pumped!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Macho Office Monkey

Can a mod put this in the racer section? Motogp?

Maybe I will get more responses there otherwise leave er here if you think its better here I am unsure. Thanks

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:31 PM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
Everything on the GP bikes is custom made with the lightest and most durable materials. I dont think there are any official stats on how much is spent on a single bike, but I'd say it easily averages around 1.5 million.

They are constantly also testing new parts on them, so it's probably extremely hard to get a solid figure on how much they invest into the technology and development of them. By the end of the year each team must have invested many millions of dollars into the bikes alone. You also have to factor in everyones salaries that work on the bike...

Last edited by Disco; 09-11-2007 at 06:34 PM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:38 PM

have to agree with Disco (average of 1 million) ...i remember reading that a single AMA bike can cost well over 100,000 (not including tires-fuel..etc that is used in a single race weekend) ..and GP bikes are def way more advanced than AMA bikes
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
In 2004 Honda had the highest budget among the GP
teams their budget was 65 million for the season so
yeah these bikes are not cheap by any means

check out this link for some great knowledge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MotoGP

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Macho Office Monkey

I thought so thanks guys. My first guess was a million then these two chumps at work made fun of me so much for saying that I change my bet number to 500,000. I told these numb skulls its worth upwords of a million dollars. I rub it in their face this morning and they tried to rationalize thats not how much it costs to make. I replied I said how much its worth not how much it would be to make. Free lunch for me Thanks guys keep the reply's coming I am interested to shove info in their faces

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
You go man give them hell and take their lunch money and rev
away lol

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Knightslugger

MotoGP Bike: 1.5M - 2.5M
Nascar: 500K or so
F1: 5M - 10M (multi BILLION dollar Budgets)

you never REALLY know these amounts anyway, this is just going on what SPEED Announcers say... means nothing really. their probably guessing just as much as anyone can, but at least they are in a better position to know than you or i...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Macho Office Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
MotoGP Bike: 1.5M - 2.5M
Nascar: 500K or so
F1: 5M - 10M (multi BILLION dollar Budgets)

you never REALLY know these amounts anyway, this is just going on what SPEED Announcers say... means nothing really. their probably guessing just as much as anyone can, but at least they are in a better position to know than you or i...

True thanks for the infomation

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Macho Office Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
You go man give them hell and take their lunch money and rev
away lol
I was so pissed ;ast night when I left work i felt like a moron guessing these bike were worth that much. So I went home and about 2 mins after I walked in my house posted this thread LOL. I knew these bad boys were spendy but the dude i was arguing with were older than ,e and it was 2 ppl to me alone so they started to convince me I was wrong but i wasent LOL WOOOWOOO free lunch

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadandy12 View Post
I was so pissed ;ast night when I left work i felt like a moron guessing these bike were worth that much. So I went home and about 2 mins after I walked in my house posted this thread LOL. I knew these bad boys were spendy but the dude i was arguing with were older than ,e and it was 2 ppl to me alone so they started to convince me I was wrong but i wasent LOL WOOOWOOO free lunch
you just know they're going to ask for proof... just ask them to disprove it!

you may not get lunch as restitution though...
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

its hard to say how much a MotoGP bike "costs"
real cost is in the tens of millions, if you include what it costs to develope a MotoGP bike. If your just counting the physical parts that make up the bike at one time, probably only $450,000 just because materials and machining costs aren't that expensive, its the number of parts and materials they consume in the developement process and the engineers they employ and even test riders to work out problems and dyno and wind tunnel testing that adds up to many many millions of dollars just to get the bike ready to race. Then when you consider an entirely new chassis twice a year, redesigned engine two or more times a year, etc that adds more cost

They probably charge 5-10 million for the customer bikes but that includes engines and upgrades whenever HRC gets around to giving them out and probably all replacement parts for the year

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Macho Office Monkey

This is what i was wondering I can see these bike having millions invested in them to design and manufacture. However, the net value of the bike is around $450,000? Meaning if Nicky crashes the bike totals it out hypathetically (which would never happen I would guess many many parts could be reused) The cost to make an all new "bike" chasis, motor EVERYTHING would be around half a million?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce101t View Post
its hard to say how much a MotoGP bike "costs"
real cost is in the tens of millions, if you include what it costs to develope a MotoGP bike. If your just counting the physical parts that make up the bike at one time, probably only $450,000 just because materials and machining costs aren't that expensive, its the number of parts and materials they consume in the developement process and the engineers they employ and even test riders to work out problems and dyno and wind tunnel testing that adds up to many many millions of dollars just to get the bike ready to race. Then when you consider an entirely new chassis twice a year, redesigned engine two or more times a year, etc that adds more cost

They probably charge 5-10 million for the customer bikes but that includes engines and upgrades whenever HRC gets around to giving them out and probably all replacement parts for the year

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Premium

possibly but again, the parts are made in-house so the material to make a frame for example may be cheap but the equipment, personnel, etc that actually stamp it out are much more expensive

its the same with F1 and any other racing technology; price, cost, and value are VERY different things. An F1 car isn't that expensive in materials but when you consider all the engineering and developement that goes into it, it gets insane

"customers" lease the bikes for many millions but they have to give EVERYTHING back at the end of the year so thats not a purchase price

One example we've seen of this recently is traction control. When nobody but MotoGP teams and a few TOP WSBK teams had it, the lowest cost for a TC system was estimated in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Now that most Superbike teams use it (WSBK and AMA), it can be had for fractions of that cost. Bazzaz Performance Design sells a basic TC system for around $1k on any online performance parts stores

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Macho Office Monkey

See thats where I think we both were fighting on different pages at my work here. I was basically saying to get a motogp in your hands is impossible but if it were it would probably cost upwards of a million dollars. I think these two guys arguing with me were saying from a building stand point it probably on;y costs 150,000 to build and in meterials. thats what these two were saying. Thanks for the help

08 600rr Orange/Black

Last edited by chadandy12; 09-12-2007 at 12:12 PM.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

you could get an RC212V in your garage if you A) Bought out Honda entirely B) won a world championship or two on it

piece of cake! hehe

the only difference in cost of F1 car vs MotoGP bike would be the difference in physical size (which actually isn't as much as you would think)
They're both highly secretive prototype machines that go through an insane developement process before actually being raced

WERA/NESBA #409

Last edited by airforce101t; 09-12-2007 at 12:21 PM.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Macho Office Monkey

Quote:
you could get an RC212V in your garage if you A) Bought out Honda entirely B) won a world championship or two on it

piece of cake! hehe

Shiiiiiit, i will have one in one-two years then LOL

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Looks like the question has been answered pretty thoroughly, but to give you another source...from the NY Times article featuring Nicky Hayden about a month ago:

"Nicky Hayden’s 800CC motorcycle is known by the name RC212V, and like all MotoGP bikes, it is a one-of-a-kind prototype on which every part is custom made. It’s nearly impossible to put a value on a GP motorcycle — though one way to get an idea is to take a look at what it would cost to lease one from a manufacturer: it is said to be in the neighborhood of $3 million a year. Roll over the icons for more information."

Here's the link to the full article (registration required--use www.bugmenot.com): http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/sp...XKw6lkZKO+Czvw

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Well an ex Ferrari F1 car costs about $2 million dollar through their F1 clienti program. However I don't know if you actually own the car outright when you do that since Ferrari typically keeps and transports the car for you over the course of the year. I'll have to go do some research on that when I get home.

You cannot buy a RC212V or RC211V at any price but Ducati has sold their ex-GP bikes to private customers. Loris Capirossi's bike was auctioned at Laguna but didn't garner the $500k they wanted out of it. So I think its safe to say that a GP bike costs upwards of $500k at the least.

Sure, the actually making of the parts isn't where most of the cost of running Moto GP is but a lot of the parts are made out of exotic metals in exotic processes with exotic machining that can take hours or days (maybe even weeks).

At any rate I'm sure the argument the coworkers were making was that a NASCAR stockcar is similar in price but really they are nowhere close.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Macho Office Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Irish View Post
At any rate I'm sure the argument the coworkers were making was that a NASCAR stockcar is similar in price but really they are nowhere close.

Yeah Nascars are cheap compared. These two chumps don't believe me still LOL. I told them I asked some gurus that race and have a lot of knowledge in the motorcycle racing sport and told them that the bike is worth over a million, and to recreate on would cost upwords of half a million one dude said we are all smoking crack and the other one tried to justify why he said the price he did. Both of them need to pull their heads out of their asses and read a bit and or watch the speed channel now and again. LMAO Its war zone in my office cause I am the youngest one and they think I dont know sh*t

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:32 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Here's an article that can help you about the cost of a factory Ducati superbike:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp.../?&R=EPI-92641

And of course a superbike is much cheaper to build than a GP bike.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
i know exactly how much a NASCAR is to build.

a good friend of mine has a late model stock car that was buil by Dale jr's company (not DEI). he paid 30k for the chasis and has round 50-60k in his. it is legal for everything up to hooters pro cup or ARCA. it has an 07 monte carlo body on it.

a true nextel cup car is in the 100-300k mark depending on the team.

and it is cheaper to buy a 2 year old ferrari f1 car than it is to lease a rc212v for one season.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Macho Office Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRider View Post
i know exactly how much a NASCAR is to build.

a good friend of mine has a late model stock car that was buil by Dale jr's company (not DEI). he paid 30k for the chasis and has round 50-60k in his. it is legal for everything up to hooters pro cup or ARCA. it has an 07 monte carlo body on it.

a true nextel cup car is in the 100-300k mark depending on the team.

and it is cheaper to buy a 2 year old ferrari f1 car than it is to lease a rc212v for one season.

Yeah stock cars seem to be the least price wise compared to alot of other motor sports.

08 600rr Orange/Black

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadandy12 View Post
Yeah stock cars seem to be the least price wise compared to alot of other motor sports.
thats kind of the point of them though. everything is nearly identical and fairly cheap.

almost anyone can race nascar (just not at the nextel cup/busch level).

alot of people in my area race late model stock cars and u can do it for about 30k. nascar is HUGE in my area.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

nascrap sucks

Quote:
According to a USA Today poll among Americans who consider themselves racing fans, their favorite is:

Nascar 59%
NHRA Drag racing 13%
Motorcycle 11%
Formula One 6%

That just proves america's population is...

Redneck 59%
Super Drunk Redneck 13%
Sophisticated stud muffin who everyone else admires 11%
Illegal immigrant 6%

WERA/NESBA #409
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Knightslugger

if a 2 year old V10 farrari F1 is cheaper than a RC212v, i wonder how much a Spyker car costs.... how many points again boys? Zero? awww....

cheap car!
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
if a 2 year old V10 farrari F1 is cheaper than a RC212v, i wonder how much a Spyker car costs.... how many points again boys? Zero? awww....

cheap car!
i cant find the link to where u can buy older ferrari f1 cars f2000 and up.

if any one knows where it is post the link.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

piece of cake! hehe

the only difference in cost of F1 car vs MotoGP bike would be the difference in physical size (which actually isn't as much as you would think)
They're both highly secretive prototype machines that go through an insane developement process before actually being raced
Many HRC champions never got their bikes
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:00 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A F1 front wing cost about a million... with engine and tire development cap, the money is transfer to constantly update their chassis ... even special made wings for each race... Monza is most expensive race for F1 teams, almost totally new chassis parts...
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 05:42 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Who cares what the idiots at work think?

I know for sure HONDA does not sell their MOTOGP bikes.

They wouldn't even let Rossi keep his favorite Honda. We're talking about Rossi here.

He kept asking for it, and they kept saying, "yes yes we understand" and in the end, he never got it. He did end up seeing the bike he asked for at a Honda function, as a display. Needless to say, Rossi wasn't too amused.

The bike's parts are one-offs fab'd just for the bike. Also, all the parts on the bike are quite expensive. From the brakes, to the computer, to the frame, to the suspension, valving, cams, pistons, wheels, sprockets, chain, brakes, clutch, gearing, etc. etc. etc.

So...yea, hard to price.

I don't know what your co-workers are looking for in terms of "pricing" the bike, but there's no way for anyone to actually purchase a MotoGP bike or build one, outside of factory teams. You either lease it, or you're on the team.

2007 CBR600RR Black/Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page