M0t0GP looking to introduce 600cc class to replace 250cc machines - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs up M0t0GP looking to introduce 600cc class to replace 250cc machines

First technical draft has been drawn up.
Hopefully this means we will see some awesome technology coming to our 600cc machines, in due time of course.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...pclassdrawnup/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like a supersport class. There could be a lot of really good battles in that class. Definitly a good read. I think a class for the 6's is a great idea, seems like a better feeder class than a 250. Is Dorna still gonna have the 125's?

Jason Keefer
Tribal 06RR
GP kitted 71 honda CB175
Barn fresh stock 71 CB175
http://www.myspace.com/peanutbutter_and_crack
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I think they are worried there will be lots of backlash by Aprilia and KTM so yeah it would smart to keep the 125's.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
sooner or later all 2 strokes will be replaced by 4 strokes. im sure eventually u wont even be able to buy a 2 stroke weed eater.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Moto GP Racer

.......untill the 600s go faster then the 800s.

GET YOUR TICKETS TO THE RED BULL INDIANAPOLIS GP!! go to www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com or call (800) 822-INDY
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
whoa thats gonna be sweet then...and looks good for 600 class street bikes because it will give some real good data to the manufacturers

2006 CBR 600RR v.2 (picked up 08/18/2007)
2006 CBR 600RR v.1 (lowsided 07/22/07 @ appx. 9:55am)
1996 Honda Prelude VTEC
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan (R.I.P. 12/22/2010)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:46 AM

There was a meeting between FIM officials, Dorna, and the Japanese bosses in Japan last month about talks of 4 strokes 250 and 400... I think 600 4 strokes is a pointless class at MGP since we already have the 800s..
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I think production 600's would be a mistake on several fronts.

For one, it immediately excludes everyone but the big 4 Japanese manufacturers since they are the only ones that make 600's. Then there's the fact that we already have 600 racing at the national and international level, why would we be adding a 600 class to GP's?

I posted the following from another thread on the same subject (I'm too lazy to type a new response to cover the same points):

Quote:
If anything, I say make them race 400 or 450 cc singles or twins. That way the Japanese couldn't get away with tossing in miniature version of their current street 600's and they could keep 250 cc 2 strokes in there. The only problem with this is that it will clearly lead to exploding costs if the Japanese come back en masse to do battle.

I actually asked KRSR and the illustrious panel of American GP champions about what engine formula he thought the support classes (125/250) should switch to. He said, "Well, they never listen to me anyway but I think they should be spec classes."

Now on the surface of it everyone would probably disagree and would be really pissed about such a suggestion but when I think about it more I think it makes sense. 250 and 125 are support classes where the ultimate goal is to move up to Moto GP. The classes right now have zero relevance to the street and really its a one horse race for the most part in both classes so you can't even say that there's competition.

So why not just make them spec classes and be done with it. That way you don't end up with the situation we have now where there are plenty of talented riders who just don't have a chance of winning because they are not on top flight machinery. The racing would certainly be better too.

If the Japanese returned to the support classes and started a war there it really wouldn't benefit anybody and would raise costs. Furthermore, you wouldn't want budgets that would have gone to Moto GP to start getting spent in the support classes. The worst case scenario would be if you ended up with what we had in the AMA a few years ago. Manufacturers spread out across the classes so that each could cherry pick championships from privateers (I'm looking at you Kawasaki and Yamaha).

If only they would listen to Kenny...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 02:32 AM

Spec classes is just an idea.... GP2 is a spec class race but it always seem that iSport or the other team that wins the championship all the time.. besides... the 125 and 250 is already a quasi spec class... hehehe
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 09:58 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiKaze View Post
Spec classes is just an idea.... GP2 is a spec class race but it always seem that iSport or the other team that wins the championship all the time.. besides... the 125 and 250 is already a quasi spec class... hehehe
Yeah really. As much as I'd like to see KTM racing 125's and 250's are really spec Aprilia classes. KTM is going to do WSBK in a year or two anyway.

I think they could just make it spec Aprilia for the 250's and maybe spec KTM for the 125's or vice versa. Maybe open things up for bid every 5 years or something to allow new manufacturers to get in the game if they can prove they can build a reliable, cost-effective package.

But who knows. There are some new 2 stroke technologies on the horizon that will allow them to burn much cleaner, 2-strokes could just make a comeback on their own. Not too far-fetched considering how much cleaner and more efficient diesel technology has become in the last few years.

Either way, I say for the near term future, 2-stroke spec machines. If they wanna go 4-stroke fine, but spec 4-stroke. If they leave the rules open it is going to touch off a technology war.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 11:47 AM

Hmmm... let me try to rephrase that...
Even if you have a spec class like the GP2 series, there will always be a team that wins races... like the iSport team in GP2... if spec class is supposed to be the great equalizer then it didn't a achieve its job... so spec class may be good on paper but in actual fact it isn't all that great
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 03:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Hmmm... let me try to rephrase that...
Even if you have a spec class like the GP2 series, there will always be a team that wins races... like the iSport team in GP2... if spec class is supposed to be the great equalizer then it didn't a achieve its job... so spec class may be good on paper but in actual fact it isn't all that great
Well when you have a team that wins in spec racing its usually because they are the best prepared team with the best drivers. It just takes the equipment out of the equation. This way you have a better idea of what difference the human factor is making.

Spec racing does equalize things but a major misconception about it is that it will prevent a team from dominating. It does no such thing, it just means that one team can't dominate because they have a superior machine.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 04:01 PM
gee
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD crew off their meds!!

Quote:
There was a meeting between FIM officials, Dorna, and the Japanese bosses in Japan last month about talks of 4 strokes 250 and 400... I think 600 4 strokes is a pointless class at MGP since we already have the 800s..
fully ... 250 450 and then the prem class !! thats the ticket!!! then maybe there will be some cool 250s on the road again!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
fully ... 250 450 and then the prem class !! thats the ticket!!! then maybe there will be some cool 250s on the road again!!
Yep, I got this info from the Sepang International Circuit peeps... it was in relation of introducing Speedway racing to Asia...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 05:44 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
this would be the ****!!!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Pocketbike Racer

oo this is very nice info

2007 Honda CBR 600RR Blue/Silver
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 11:53 PM
gee
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD crew off their meds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technica View Post
First technical draft has been drawn up.
Hopefully this means we will see some awesome technology coming to our 600cc machines, in due time of course.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...pclassdrawnup/
mine does already!! its a honda.. hehehehe

yeah ,i am thinking the 600 SS class will go nuts if they bring this on.. still think 400cc 4s would be cooler and better in the overall way of the world..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page