Yamaha stay with Michelin - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore Extraordinaire

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Yamaha stay with Michelin

...and Rossi speaks.

Fiat Yamaha team director Davide Brivio made an unusual appearance at the pre-event press conference ahead of this weekend's Portuguese Grand Prix, where he was able to confirm several significant aspects of Yamaha's 2008 line-up.The Italian stated that reigning 250cc world champion Jorge Lorenzo will be a full factory rider, with Valentino Rossi as his team-mate, and thus directly replace Colin Edwards.

"The factory team next year will be Valentino Rossi and Lorenzo, simply a two rider team like any other," said Brivio, responding to speculation that the pair may ride in separate teams. "Jorge Lorenzo will replace Colin Edwards in our team."
It is already known that Edwards will move to the satellite Tech 3 Yamaha team alongside James Toseland, while Fiat has signed to be the factory Yamaha team's title sponsor for the 2007 and 2008 seasons. Nevertheless, Fortuna is rumoured to be keen to keep Lorenzo in its colours...
In terms of tyre supplier, Brivio ended any speculation that Yamaha could sever its Michelin ties - after a troubled season - by announcing that the factory M1s will stay on the French rubber next year. However, Brivio said that he was unable to speak for the Tech 3 team, which he claimed will make its own decision. Tech 3 currently uses Dunlops.

Finally, Brivio announced that Rossi will continue to use the new Yamaha engine, featuring pneumatic valves. The engine failed after just five laps on its race debut at Misano, but the problem was not associated with the new technology and is "our future".

Valentino Rossi admits the 2007 MotoGP title is all but gone, and is switching his focus to holding the runner-up spot.

After a disastrous engine failure at Misano, Rossi has slipped 85 points behind Ducati's Casey Stoner - who can wrap up the title four rounds early if he scores 15 points more than Rossi at Estoril next Sunday.

"To be honest the championship is almost out of reach for us, especially when Stoner is so strong, so we will put all our energies into holding onto our second place and winning as many races as possible, as well as thinking about continuing the development of our package for next year," stated Rossi, who has won three races of the 13 so far held and is 20 points clear of Honda's Dani Pedrosa. "Now the aim is to have a good end to the season - we have five races left and we will be trying to win all five, even if the championship is out of our reach. I've had some good races at Estoril in the past although last year I missed out on the win by a tiny amount!" Indeed, a dramatic 2006 Portuguese Grand Prix
saw Rossi propelled back into the title lead after team-mates Pedrosa and Nicky Hayden sensationally collided - but the Italian lost five further points when he was beaten to the line by Toni Elias, by just 0.002secs. This weekend, he's out to avenge both that loss and his recent Misano misery.

"Misano was a great, great disappointment," said Rossi. "To not have the chance to fight and to finish after just a few laps was a terrible thing, but now we just have to put it behind us. We got back to work straight away on Monday for the test and we did some really good work with Michelin - it seems that they found some good new tyres and overall it was quite an encouraging test, much more than the last one. Hopefully we will be ready in Estoril with a package with which we can fight."

Fiat Yamaha team director Davide Brivio insists that the title fight isn't over, but also made clear that unless Michelin can provide competitive tyres then Rossi and team-mate Colin Edwards won't stand a chance.

"It's not over yet but we know that a gap of 85 points to such a strong rival package will be very, very difficult to recover," admitted Brivio. "All we can do is take it race buy race and try to put Valentino and Colin [Edwards] in a position to fight for race victories and podiums as soon as possible.

"First of all we have to hope that the tyres are competitive and from there on we can try. The test at Misano was positive so hopefully that improved performance carries over to Estoril. We know we have a rider who is capable of winning races and he deserves to be winning much more than he is now so we can only try our best to give him the equipment he needs to do that," added the under-pressure Italian

No more mod listing, shits is STILL too long

03 600RR > 04 1000RR > 06 R6V > 05 600RR > 06 R1 > 09 1000RR > 10 RSV4R :gun:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Dont change the rules...

New tyre rules were introduced - after consultation between Michelin, Bridgestone and Dunlop - for the start of this season and mean that the Michelin and Bridgestone riders have to select their tyre allocation before each grand prix weekend begins. Dunlop is exempt from the restrictions until it achieves two MotoGP wins in dry conditions.

Bridgestone has adapted exceptionally to the new rules, with the German GP being its only uncompetitive race so far, but the Michelin riders have suffered more hit-and-miss fortunes - contributing to Brivio's star rider Rossi dropping a near insurmountable 85 points behind Bridgestone-shod Ducati star, Casey Stoner.

The lack of balance between the two leading tyre manufacturers has also been blamed for the predictable racing seen at the past four rounds - Michelin and Dani Pedrosa were dominant at the Sachsenring, before Bridgestone and Stoner bounced back with start-to-finish wins at Laguna Seca, Brno and Misano - prompting many, including Rossi, to call for a rule rethink.

However, perhaps surprisingly, Brivio thinks the tyre rules should remain unchanged. The Italian is wary that complaints by the Michelin teams will be seen as sour grapes and believes that the best solution is simply for Yamaha and Michelin to work harder.

"Ducati, Casey and Bridgestone have done a fantastic job - and not just because of the new tyre rules," he said. "My personal opinion is that the tyre rules should not change because if they do then it will be easy for some people to say they have been changed to help Michelin, Valentino or whatever. We just need to improve and become more competitive

"[Yamaha's] top speed problem was very clear since Qatar, the very first race. Everybody could see that. As we've always said, we need to make our bike faster and make our tyres better. We are working very well with Michelin, very hard. Both Yamaha and Michelin are fully committed and putting in a lot of effort," added the Italian, who also confirmed that the factory Yamaha team will remain with Michelin in 2008.

"I hope, for everybody, that we can see all the riders fighting together. I'd like to see Casey fighting with Dani and Valentino. That is our target."

Michelin has won every premier-class riders' world championship since 1994.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I must say that this year's MotoGP field has been severely slanted towards Bridgestone and their stellar performance.

I believe the TIRE RULE is interesting, and adding a new dimension to race weekends. However, I am a bit torn on why these rules are in place in terms of restricting the tire manufacturers and the team from selecting the absolute best tire.

However, rules are rules and Casey Stoner and Ducati and Bridgestone are truly excelling this season. The Big Red Duke is devastatingly fast (we've all seen the kind of raw power and acceleration that the bike has on the straights and turn exits).

I've been a long time Rossi fan and hope that the next season brings forth a more competitive showing from the Fiat Yamaha team and Michelin. I am also looking forward to seeing how Jorge Lorenzo will do on his graduation to the GP class. It will also be exciting to see how Casey Stoner and Ducati and Brigdestone defend their titles.

Barring multiple disasters from the Ducati team, Stoner has the season locked up. He's been simply incredible this year. So young...so very talented. How will he do next year?

I've always been in the school of thinking that Nicky Hayden's championship was pure happenstance. Rossi's multiple DNRs and engine and bike problems more or less opened the door for Hayden last year. It was obvious, especially in the second half of the season, when Rossi caught up to the champion and almost beat him, had he not crashed in Valencia.

2007 CBR600RR Black/Silver

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

i hear that Lorenzo cat is another Dani big head robot fuk face Pedrosa.. so im not too keen on him.

but yes, it would be nice to see Rossi take a few wins, close the gap and come back next season kicking ass.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Pedrosa...hahah what a joke.

Honestly, Stoner wasn't up there in my book until this season. Last year, anytime I saw stoner amidst a group of riders and entering a turn, I cringed. It seemed he always crashed, and took someone with him. Never crashed by himself (it seemed to me).

In Dani's defense though...he hasn't been as annoying as last year (a$$-tard action with Nicky - was that estoril?). Also, he's had quite a bit of bad luck of his own this year with the wipeouts from other riders :)

Now he can get a taste...karma, it can be a b^tch! :)

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Knee Dragger

interesting...so michelin will be staying in motogp after all. just a matter of time before repsol honda announces they'll be on michelins as well. i like brivio's statement about the tire rules, but who knows what will happen.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

if youve won every GP since 94 would u pull out after just 1 crappy season.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Knee Dragger

if you had no factory teams wanting to use your tires, would you stick around?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogpworldchamp View Post
if you had no factory teams wanting to use your tires, would you stick around?
that is FAR from the case.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 10:39 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
only complaint i have about the tire rules, and for the life of me i cant understand why they agreed to this, is teams have to pick their tires on thursday, BEFORE they practice!! WTF?? why would you, how can you choose, before you have put a whell down on the course? tracks are new, resurfaced, temps are diff day by day etc. limiting the amount of tires, great, but teams are severely handicapped by having to choose b4 friday practice, amend this part and it should be all good.

C"mon girl, just let me put the tip in!!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

excellent point muffin baker dude.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
that is FAR from the case.
how do you figure? considering how brivio said he wouldn't have been doing a good job in his position if he had not considered bridgestones for next season. and hrc have yet to announce anything, but i'm sure they will announce a deal with michelin because bridgestone already told yamaha that it would be difficult to accomodate them next season with all the teams they currently supply. by the way, tire regulations remain unchanged for next season.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 10:48 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Are the tire regulations locked-in already? I thought they were still in discussions to possibly ammend the regulations a bit. I was under the impression that they have no plans to change the regulations "at this time" but that they are reviewing the complaints from the teams.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Knee Dragger

on motogp's website, yamada (the bridgestone guy) said that the three tire manufacturers have agreed to keep the current rules in place for next season. he also said that one aspect they intend to change is testing, but i'm not sure what that means.

that, to me, sounds like the rules are set, but i don't know if the rules could be changed by an outside party, say, like the dorna bosses who said that motogp is not the world tire championship.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
how do you figure? considering how brivio said he wouldn't have been doing a good job in his position if he had not considered bridgestones for next season. and hrc have yet to announce anything, but i'm sure they will announce a deal with michelin because bridgestone already told yamaha that it would be difficult to accomodate them next season with all the teams they currently supply. by the way, tire regulations remain unchanged for next season.
it just wont, trust me...
people talk a lot of **** but dorna for one would find a way to keep michelin in the series.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:53 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
on motogp's website, yamada (the bridgestone guy) said that the three tire manufacturers have agreed to keep the current rules in place for next season. he also said that one aspect they intend to change is testing, but i'm not sure what that means.

that, to me, sounds like the rules are set, but i don't know if the rules could be changed by an outside party, say, like the dorna bosses who said that motogp is not the world tire championship.

Hhaha, that's a classic line "...motogp is not the world tire championship" hahahah

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page