Ben Spies' thoughts on Yoshi domination - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ben Spies' thoughts on Yoshi domination

this was taken from his column posted on soup today. Just fyi, the GSXR 1000 won every race it entered this season in the AMA.

Quote:
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Marcus/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]The domination? I think it's just Mat and I pushing each other so freakin' hard, all the time. That's just what's making our bike better, in setup and trying to find every last tenth of it, because we're trying to beat each other. When everybody else is kind of brushing it off as our bike's just better and that's just it. It gets a little annoying.
It's tough when everybody says, "Oh, the Suzuki's such a great motorcycle." The Suzuki is a great motorcycle, but if you look at all the other Superbike series in the world, ours is the only Suzuki that completely dominates. I think it's the team and it's the riders. If you watch Mat and me in practice, the bike is always wobbling, shaking, backing in, sliding, doing something. And when you look at other bikes, they're not necessarily doing that all the time.
I don't know what it would take for everyone else to catch up to us. If you look at Mat and me when we test, we are out there all the time. Some people go out and ride five laps and they're done for 30 minutes. We just work. It's not just us, it's the team. It's the mechanics we have. Everybody's geared to win. I'm not saying everyone else isn't, but you can just tell that there's some extra motivation in our pits, that's for sure.

thoughts? IMHO, +1 on the yoshi mechanics. after bens off at RA, and Matt's at Miller, they impressed me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Post Whore Extraordinaire

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
sounds like a valid point.

No more mod listing, shits is STILL too long

03 600RR > 04 1000RR > 06 R6V > 05 600RR > 06 R1 > 09 1000RR > 10 RSV4R :gun:
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think a bit of it is the Invincibility factor. The other riders view the Suzuki/Spies/Mladin combo as somewhat invincible so maybe they are not doing all they can to beat them. More importantly, other riders might have taken a slight hit on their confidence. Even a little bit of doubt can affect your competitiveness.

I think it was the same thing with Rossi in GP's. People thought he was unbeatable so I think before the race even started their confidence was already damaged. I think a very poignant and insightful comment by someone in Faster (Wayne Rainey maybe?) was that it would take someone who was not currently in the championship to beat Rossi. Lo and behold, here come the new guys. In Nicky's case he didn't beat Rossi on talent, he beat him on hard work and consistency. No one put in more laps in testing than Nicky all of last year and he never crashed in a race except for when Dani took him out. Stoner has come out and just blitzed the field and more importantly, did not crack under the pressure, even in head to head fights with Rossi.

Now that the others know Rossi is beatable they are not holding back against him and are taking the fight to him. Not that they are always successful but you can definitely see that the other riders are not treating him like God anymore.

Getting back to the AMA, I think the point Ben made about testing laps is a very good one. If anyone wants to beat them they are going to have to put in as much or more work than them in every facet (testing, training, nutrition, practice, qualifying, etc.). And they cannot sit back and accept that their bike[Suzuki] is better, that's an excuse.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Nope, Gixxer 1000s are just the best :D
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDirtyRobb View Post
Nope, Gixxer 1000s are just the best :D
Is that why in the last 2 years the only major superbike championship they've won is AMASBK?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I AM The Righty

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Irish View Post
I think a bit of it is the Invincibility factor. The other riders view the Suzuki/Spies/Mladin combo as somewhat invincible so maybe they are not doing all they can to beat them. More importantly, other riders might have taken a slight hit on their confidence. Even a little bit of doubt can affect your competitiveness.
+1
just like Tiger Woods syndrome
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 11:26 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Great post. I love how he pointed out "but if you look at all the other Superbike series in the world, ours is the only Suzuki that completely dominates." Pretty impressive. He is not bragging about how great he is, he is pointing out the hard work that is put into being that good.

2007 600 RR (track)
Steel Braided Brake Lines
CRG Levers
-1 in the front
Woodcraft engine covers
Renthol Firm Grips
Zero Gravity clear double bubble windscreen
Ohlins 25mm "R&T" Supersport Fork Cartridge Kit
Gilles VCR
E-Racing Platics

2002 Yellow 600 F4I (Street)
Flushmounts
Hotbodies undertail with integrated tail lights
Jardine RT-One Slip On

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM

can't wait to see spies in something better than ama....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 PM

If suzuki was paying me I'd keep my shut about the bike not being any better than the others.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Irish View Post
Is that why in the last 2 years the only major superbike championship they've won is AMASBK?
You wanna fight?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
"but if you look at all the other Superbike series in the world, ours is the only Suzuki that completely dominates."
There is more to the story then this, The bikes are Not the same.

World Superbike has different rules on bikes modifications then the AMA does and many have speculated that this has definitely been an advantage to Mladin and Spies Yoshimura Suzuki's. It has allowed them a wider variety of options for tuning there bikes.
For instance, notice they run single sided exhaust? WSBK has to stick to the stock form of 2 sided. Also heard that they run a different swing arm then what is stock for the 2007 GSXR, again something you cannot change in WSBK. Those are only a few examples but you get the picture.

The rules are supposed to change in 08 or 09 and become more like WSBK so we'll see what happens?

Also, have any of you read the recent interviews with Micheal Jordan? He came right out and said that Suzuki was not making the same race parts available to his (or any other Suzuki) team that are available for Yoshimura factory team. Not a very level playing field when not everybody can have access to the same parts.

Don't get me wrong, these guy's are good, but it would be interesting to see everyone on equal bikes.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:56 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDirtyRobb View Post
You wanna fight?
Rochambeau, I kick first.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite675 View Post

World Superbike has different rules on bikes modifications then the AMA does and many have speculated that this has definitely been an advantage to Mladin and Spies Yoshimura Suzuki's. It has allowed them a wider variety of options for tuning there bikes.
For instance, notice they run single sided exhaust? WSBK has to stick to the stock form of 2 sided. Also heard that they run a different swing arm then what is stock for the 2007 GSXR, again something you cannot change in WSBK. Those are only a few examples but you get the picture.
The exhaust configuration is different between the series but they are clearly allowed to modify the swingarm. I know because Ten Kate uses an aftermarket swingarm. I wanna say its the Team KR swingarm but I'm not 100% sure.

Maybe they are not allowed to move the swingarm pivot or something though.

Quote:
Also, have any of you read the recent interviews with Micheal Jordan? He came right out and said that Suzuki was not making the same race parts available to his (or any other Suzuki) team that are available for Yoshimura factory team. Not a very level playing field when not everybody can have access to the same parts.

Don't get me wrong, these guy's are good, but it would be interesting to see everyone on equal bikes.
Well that has nothing to do with the other factories. Its not like Yoshimura Suzuki is withholding parts from Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. It sucks for the privateers like Jordan Suzuki but that's a different story. They are on a level playing field with the other factories and they are flat out beating them.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Chief IronLungs

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite675 View Post

The rules are supposed to change in 08 or 09 and become more like WSBK so we'll see what happens?

i read that article also

Hit busters on the head like Vonage
* Im not rude, youre just insignificant

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Uhh... 2005 they won WSBK. Corser and Alstare Suzuki.

Quote:
They are on a level playing field with the other factories and they are flat out beating them.
+1
Suzuki seems to have a higher level of commintment to AMA than the other factories. Yamaha just returned, and Honda doesn't even run HRC bikes. Kawi is well... their superbikes suck everywhere. Hacking is on the right track tho. They're the best factory of the remaining 3.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittzo View Post
Uhh... 2005 they won WSBK. Corser and Alstare Suzuki.
I was counting 2006 and 2007.

Quote:
+1
Suzuki seems to have a higher level of commintment to AMA than the other factories. Yamaha just returned, and Honda doesn't even run HRC bikes. Kawi is well... their superbikes suck everywhere. Hacking is on the right track tho. They're the best factory of the remaining 3.
American Honda is committed to their program its just that taking their effort in house was more work than they thought it would be and it takes time to get it working the way they need it to. HRC wasn't built overnight either you know.

As for Kawasaki being third best, they're about there but who finished third in the championship?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
spies is correct tho. its the rider and team that makes the difference.

if spies and miladin were on erion racing honda, it would be the same outcome. as great as the gsxr 1000 is, the honda is just as good from a race stand point.

and arron yates is a savage as well.

im sure if james toseland were runnin AMA he would win just as much, especially because the talent pool in WSBK is higher than AMA IMO.

honda needs the riders to take AMA superbike. not to take anything away from duhammel/zemke, they just arent on the same level as spies and milladin IMO. (though they are sooooo close).

my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page