Edwards might go back to AMA! - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
Edwards might go back to AMA!

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=11416

Fiat Yamaha’s Colin Edwards may be coming home.
The Texan is planning to finish his career where it started, in the AMA Superbike Championship, as a member of Yamaha’s U.S. Superbike team in 2009 and 2010.
“That is kind of what I envision,” Edwards said at Sunday’s Japanese GP in Motegi. “Been in the factory team for what, the last three years? And going over to Tech 3 (Yamaha) I think is Yamaha’s polite way of kind of saying ‘Thanks and we need to bring up some young guys,’ which they do. I don’t want to get in the way of some young riders coming up.”
Edwards said he “had a hell of a win streak going there in ’94 and left in ’95 to come to World Superbike. And I felt that ’95 was going to be my year to win the AMA Superbike Championship. I’m not going to say we’re going to go over there…hell, we got to beat Ben (Spies) and Mat (Mladin). That’s the first step. And I think if Yamaha are willing to step up, as in Yamaha factory in Japan, and everything looks right and the cards are on the table and placed in the right position, then, yeah, I’ll do that. I’d definitely be more than interested.”
Edwards has been traveling the world since 1995 and wants to slow down, a little. He has a wife and two young children and it might be time to settle down to a life of domestic tranquility in Conroe, Texas.
“The other end of that, I’ve thought about ‘I’ll see you next year’ and then retire. I entertained that thought for about 30 seconds talking to my wife and she said, you’re going to be so f---ing bored. And she’s right. And it’s not the matter of being bored, it’s just I’ll go crazy not having anything to do or look forward to. And I had this discussion with my crew chief, it’s like, ‘How in the hell am I supposed to stay motivated, much less the whole team, when we have this tire problem?’ Where we go out and test every tire and they’re all a second off the pace. How do you stay motivated? But the reality of it is as soon as you get on the bike and close your shield…you got here for the reason that when you do that you go ten-tenths. As far as motivation off the track, yeah, there are sometimes you can get a little bit down on yourself, but when you close that shield and I don’t give a s--t who you are, if you’re up in this league at this level, you go flat out.” Edwards picked the brains of the Eric and Ben Bostrom during the recent Yamaha dealer show in Orlando, wanting to know everything about the team, the bike, and the series. Many of the tracks Edwards raced on in 1994 are still on the calendar and all have improved. But they’re a long way from grand prix caliber, with the exception of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
“Honestly, I’ve been watching pretty much all the races this year, first off to watch the battle royale that’s been going on; it’s been some good racing,” he said, “but also to look at the tracks. Yeah, there’s nothing like I used to race on. Charlotte and Loudon and Miami. I’ve been watching and, obviously, I know what they’ve done to places.
“You’re going to have to revert back to the old mentality. We grew up in the U.S. and we know that there are corners you absolutely cannot crash. Doesn’t matter what happens, you just can’t crash there and you can’t go over too aggressive of a pass, because the guy you’re trying to pass might crash.”
The current Superbike team has had sporadic results with occasional podiums, but no consistency. For him to come, he’d have to see commitment on the part of the factory. “I think that’s what I’m saying the cards need to be right,” he said. “If it’s going to happen…I don’t want to go over there just to do it. I’m not going to go over there just to compete. I want to go over there and win, which is saying a lot. But at the same time, why else race? There’s no other point in going over there. I’ve had some talking with Keith (McCarty) and stuff. That’s the only reason. There’s no other reason.”
Edwards has had the pick of the best tires in the world, up to this year. The AMA Superbike Championship is essentially a spec series with Dunlop supplying all the factory teams and most of the top satellite teams. Edwards thinks it might be worth exploring other options.
“If Yamaha decides to maybe do something different, to maybe look for an advantage somewhere, we could do that as well,” he said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
interesting. will spies and mladin still be there in 2009 or 2010 tho?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
interesting. will spies and mladin still be there in 2009 or 2010 tho?
I'm pretty sure Spies is going to GP on 09.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofasteRR View Post
I'm pretty sure Spies is going to GP on 09.
Yea that is what I was hearing. I still think he would be a dominating force in AMA.

2007 600 RR (track)
Steel Braided Brake Lines
CRG Levers
-1 in the front
Woodcraft engine covers
Renthol Firm Grips
Zero Gravity clear double bubble windscreen
Ohlins 25mm "R&T" Supersport Fork Cartridge Kit
Gilles VCR
E-Racing Platics

2002 Yellow 600 F4I (Street)
Flushmounts
Hotbodies undertail with integrated tail lights
Jardine RT-One Slip On

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 06:09 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I like Edwards in GP. He's a real crack up. Not enough guys like him in Moto GP.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 06:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2SD View Post
I like Edwards in GP. He's a real crack up. Not enough guys like him in Moto GP.
I think it would be great for him and Haga to be back in the same series together. They are both very interesting characters and both enjoy racing and having fun.

03 CBR 600RR
-- OEM Cowl w/ custom decal, click here.
-- Scotts Steering Stabilizer
-- Vortex Rearsets
-- Arata Full exhaust w/ PCIII
-- Ohlins shock and cartridge kit
-- Catalyst Racing Composites bodywork

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 05:11 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko5 View Post
I think it would be great for him and Haga to be back in the same series together. They are both very interesting characters and both enjoy racing and having fun.

MmmmmmHmmmmm . . . WSBK perhaps? That would be dope
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Superbike racer

I was excited when he got a GP ride, but he has had a very disappointing GP career. It would be nice to have him in the AMA, but personally I fast forward through most AMA races cause they are boring as hell.

CCS EX#100
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 11:20 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Great WSBK video, Haga's celebration is awesome. http://youtube.com/watch?v=sysZTWt6wSw

03 CBR 600RR
-- Vortex Rearsets

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Edwards should have just saved himself the time and came to the AMA for 2008. I doubt he's going to be able to get anything accomplished in Moto GP next year, especially now that he has been demoted to Tech3.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 03:02 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

The Tech3 team is going to go through a lot of changes. I would kinda of expect them to be like the Gresini Honda team.

03 CBR 600RR
-- Vortex Rearsets

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page