LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
OG

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rossi may use Bridgestones

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/191020...ne-switch.html
Malaysian GP - Rossi to make Bridgestone switch

Eurosport - Fri, 19 Oct 12:25:00 2007
Valentino Rossi will use Bridgestone tyres on his Yamaha next year, according to Michelin's Moto GP tyre chief.

Jean-Philippe Weber, the French manufacturer's competitions director said that pressure from the five-time world champion to switch to Bridgestone rubber next season in a bid to close the performance gap to Casey Stoner and Ducati, had finally paid off.

"He [Rossi] has said he must switch to Bridgestones and you can't go against the desire of the riders, so we cannot remain with him," said Weber.

Rossi, and Repsol Honda rider Dani Pedrosa, Moto GP's biggest stars, have been campaigning since mid-season to get their teams to switch to Bridgestones for 2008.

Although Bridgestone initially issued a firm "no" to both squads following requests for a switch, it is believed that pressure from championship bosses Dorna to switch to a single-tyre rule in 2008 unless they gave way, has led to the move.

Officially, nothing has been confirmed, but Dorna have said that a decision on whether or not a single-tyre formula will be adopted next season, will be announced next week.
With only Bridgestone even willing to consider bidding for the contract, should one come up, Rossi's move will not affect what rubber he uses.

Rossi was only 16th fastest in practice for the Malaysian Grand Prix, and knew instantly where the blame lay.

It's very disappointing for me to be here, at one of my favourite tracks where we know our bike goes well, in 16th position! We don't have any grip, especially in front, and we were very slow today.

"We've tried a lot of tyres and different settings but so far we haven't been able to make much progress."

Rossi's switch will create a unique situation within the Yamaha squad as his new team-mate Jorge Lorenzo will use Michelin rubber, a move which will almost certainly upset the development of their 2008 motorcycle.

The Tech-3 Yamahas of James Toseland and Colin Edwards will also use the French rubber, switching from the current British-made Dunlops.

Whether or not Pedrosa will also switch is yet to be decided.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
OG

from superbike planet:

Now we await confirmation that Rossi will be on Bridgestones next season and that the mono-tyre rule is not going to happen.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:37 AM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
Good find! Rossi on Stones would be great!!!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WOW, now that is interesting :p

Is there any cooperation or affiliation between Yamaha (japan) and Bridgestone?

I mean, with regards to their corporate relations, in the past or present, have they had a good relationship? Perhaps that may have helped make this decision as well?

Although the fact that ONLY Rossi would switch makes it interesting.

He's definitely showing his "pull" with this manuever. Amazing and interesting to see.

2007 CBR600RR Black/Silver
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 AM
gee
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD crew off their meds!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yeah awesome..now stoner is gunna have to work for it and the tire talk can be layed to rest!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I await to hear Stoner whine about this and attack Rossi. I don't think it's as interesting as people think. I think it's smart. Clearly, Michelin doesn't seem to have a sense of urgency to step up their game, as evident from their whooping all season long. If I were Rossi, I'd do the same thing. I think as any rider who is looking to get an edge, you make changes to the best equipment you have available. The Bridgestones are available. They can't withhold the tires from Rossi.

Rossi + pneumatic valves + Bridgestones = a hard time for Stoner's defense.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Moto GP Racer

Been reading about this for a week now, personally I think is ****! I hope Michelin gets their act together this year (coming up) and SOMEONE on Michelins SPANKS Rossi again. (hurts to say being a Rossi fan) but I am tired of hearing him put all the blame on anyone/anything but himself! Whether it's true or not, IMO that's not the act of a champion.

Even Burgess has come out and said that he feels it's shouldn't be blamed on Michelin, that the whole team had issues.

Give credit where it's due, CONGRATS to CASEY!

Remember also, Casey wasn't the only rider out there on Stones (as also said but Burgess).

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Knee Dragger

Can you blame him?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix14 View Post
Can you blame him?
In a way yes, in a way no...

Here is why/what:
No I don't blame him for wanting equipment to stay competitive, anyone does and SHOULD have equipment that is competitive!!! I have no problem there. I have no problem with him riding on Stones.

I have a problem with how it's been handled. Racing is a TEAM sport, you expect your TEAM to stand by you and you should stand by your TEAM! AT LEAST publicly!!!

IF he has a problem or MANY problems, you go to the people that matter, you go to Burgess, you and Burgess go the heads of Yami, you meet with Michelin and you figure it out.

What you DON'T DO is go to the media and put blame ALL your failure on a single member of your TEAM!

When Rossi blew a motor, or low sided, his TEAM didn't come out and BLAME him for loosing the race, those are things that you do within your TEAM!

Ok, [/rant] being a Rossi fan it aggravates me...

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Macedonian Racer

Good info! :icon_lol:

#Red & Black Honda CBR 600RR 2007 MACEDONIA

#The Official WTF?!?! Thread
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 AM

right on! Good move Rossi

joe
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
OG

rossi wants the best that is available. he wants to win. i dont blame him.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Don't think anyone can blame anyone for wanting the best! So, why is he with Yami?

He definitely could have handled the situation like a man and a champ.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:11 PM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
In a way yes, in a way no...

Here is why/what:
No I don't blame him for wanting equipment to stay competitive, anyone does and SHOULD have equipment that is competitive!!! I have no problem there. I have no problem with him riding on Stones.

I have a problem with how it's been handled. Racing is a TEAM sport, you expect your TEAM to stand by you and you should stand by your TEAM! AT LEAST publicly!!!

IF he has a problem or MANY problems, you go to the people that matter, you go to Burgess, you and Burgess go the heads of Yami, you meet with Michelin and you figure it out.

What you DON'T DO is go to the media and put blame ALL your failure on a single member of your TEAM!

When Rossi blew a motor, or low sided, his TEAM didn't come out and BLAME him for loosing the race, those are things that you do within your TEAM!

Ok, [/rant] being a Rossi fan it aggravates me...
I think this is a little bit misinformed. Pick up an issue of RRW, or do some digging and you'll find that Rossi has EXHAUSTIVELY dealt with Michelin and Yamaha. He's exhaustively spoken to Burgess and have gone together to Yamaha to fix their issues. Burgess is a little more even keeled. He's not going to react emotionally and believes optimistically that Yamaha will get it together with Michelin to be competitive.

However, look at it from Rossi's point of view: He lost the championship because his bike was unreliable to his previous employer (HRC) and former teammate (Hayden). Then, he lost ground and a chance at the World Championship to another rival factory (Ducati) and the 2006 Crash King (Casey Stoner), mainly because his bike couldn't keep up on the straights and his tires punking out on him 75% into the race.

I don't fault Burgess, but the dude doesn't seem to have a lot of fire left in him, at least, not up to Rossi's determination. That being said, a lot of changes have happened in the Yamaha front office that's made motor sports the lest of their concern. The CEO has made no bones about making their motorcycle division play second fiddle (no pun intended) to its instrument division, as they see this expensive sport as a drain on their bottom line!

So, if the only thing Rossi can fight for is tires, that's really all he can control! But don't think for a moment Rossi hasn't tried to convince the powers that be at Yamaha and Michelin to make him competitive. You're telling me a tire company like Michelin can develop a one-off tire for specific riders in one day for a race weekend, ship it there and win multiple championships and can't figure out their tire situation over the course of the entire 2007 MotoGP season? That's a crock!

You're telling me, that after the faux pas that Yamaha had all of 2006 that they're still fumbling around in 2007? Kawasaki and Suzuki are supposed to be the companies with exploding bikes; that was their M.O.! Not Yamaha, not Honda!

Rossi tried. He's grasping at straws at this point. His rumblings in the media are no different than Stoner whining in the media either. Not the mark of a champion? Indeed.

That being said, Hayden is the epitome of a champion -- didn't complain about his bike being broken for 50% of the 2006 season, didn't complain or tell anyone about his messed up shoulder, didn't even respond to Rossi's remark about Stoner's domination being different than Hayden's, saying it was more about the rider this year than last (insult!).

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMANI View Post
Rossi, and Repsol Honda rider Dani Pedrosa, Moto GP's biggest stars,
my favorite part of the article

f u dani you. go be a horse jockey!
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Well, I have to agree that Hayden has handled ALL the diversity this season with WAY more class than Pedrosa or Rossi. I'd say both Edwards and Hayden have been exemplary American riders, and really show CLASS.

They do follow the, keep the problems "in-house", and keep things low-key with the media, which I think should be an unwritten rule.

I empathize with Rossi's problems with the factory and tire manufacturer, and appreciate the frustrations it must be causing...but, there has to be a better way...I would think...unless things are REALLY bad and no one is listening.

As for Hayden's shoulder issues, those were well-documented leading into the season with his surgery and rehab being mentioned multiple times (I wouldn't say he never mentioned it). He just doesn't make a big deal of it. He works hard.

If you want to exemplify riders who don't complain about injuries, look no further than Tony Elias. Shoulder? Give me a break...the guy has a broken femur. One of the MOST important bones in the body, not just in SPORT, but in general well-being.

Hayden being the "Epitome of Champion" is quite an exaggeration in my opinion.

So far, there is a lack of class amongst the champions (Rossi, Stoner).

I would hope next season, with a more competitive race between factories, we'll see more class and less whining from everyone.

Last edited by BoredTiger; 10-24-2007 at 04:59 AM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 03:50 AM

I agree... this whole tire issue and Rossi and Pedrosa complains makes me lose respect for these riders...
Bridgestone even initially rejected to supply to factory Honda and Yamaha because they want to keep competition alive...
In the last race, the Michelin held up well and Rossi set his best lap times in the later stages but he didn't storm through the field like he used too...
Pedrosa on Michelin might be a problem though... he is pretty much like Stoner in that he needs his front end feel more than others..

Makes me think how DePuniet will perform next year!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
OG

Rossi On Bridgestones & In Separate Garage In '08
by staff
Sunday, November 04, 2007
This just in from Yamaha:

Sunday, 4th November 2007
Valencia, Spain

FIAT YAMAHA TEAM FINALISES 2008 LINE-UP

Following the conclusion of the 2007 season, Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd and Yamaha Motor Racing Srl are pleased to be able to confirm the final line-up of their 2008 Factory Team.

Seven-time World Champion Valentino Rossi and two-time 250cc World Champion Jorge Lorenzo will contest the 2008 MotoGP World Championship as team-mates in the Fiat Yamaha Team.

Yamaha can also confirm its plan to run Valentino Rossi on Bridgestone tyres in 2008, while Jorge Lorenzo will be racing with Michelin tyres.

In order to facilitate the use of both Michelin tyres and Bridgestone tyres within the Yamaha Factory Team and to ensure confidentiality of data for each tyre company, Yamaha will organize separate rider pit boxes, but the Fiat Yamaha Team will continue to operate and race as one team.

ENDS

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I bet Michelin is pissed about that move, they just got it horribly wrong this year
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredTiger View Post
Well, I have to agree that Hayden has handled ALL the diversity this season with WAY more class than Pedrosa or Rossi. I'd say both Edwards and Hayden have been exemplary American riders, and really show CLASS.

They do follow the, keep the problems "in-house", and keep things low-key with the media, which I think should be an unwritten rule.
Well said! I have also lost a bit of respect for Rossi with this issue. His whining got him his way, but his selfishness is breaking the team apart. What is the point of even being a team then if you can't share data and you are in separate garages? Imagine if Lorenzo kicks his butt next year on the Michelins.

H

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

The whole separate pit boxes due to the tire separation is really...I dunno. NOT A TEAM?

We'll see what happens next year, and seeing how terrible the season has been for Rossi this year, it will be interesting to see if B-stones are really the tipping point.

I'm a fan of Vale, so I do hope that he makes a comeback, but I hope he can do it with more pinache. It'll be interesting to see how Fiat Yamaha will work on the two riders.

I have a theory that the Michelins are not very friendly to larger riders (e.g. Hayden, Rossi).

So...this might rule in favor for Lorenzo, who isn't a very large frame. hahaha, it would be funny to see Lorenzo steal some wins next season on Michelins. I would have a good laugh at that one.

Another rider to keep an eye out on would be Pedrosa. He really showed his mettle this season with his runner up racing and podium finishes. He's coming into his own, despite issues (what teams and riders are supposed to conquer, yes?) and winning/competing in races.

Let the next season come SOONER than later! :)

I hope that the 800 bikes become even more exciting next year.

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
There have been separate pit boxes before, back in 04 when Biaggi was on Michelins and Tamada on Bridgestones. I don't think it will ruin the team aspect, considering your teammate is usually the first guy you want to beat.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Nemesis

After what happened in Valencia, Rossi's problems next year is going to be more than just tires...haha.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
After what happened in Valencia, Rossi's problems next year is going to be more than just tires...haha.

Good point. Not just Valencia but these "mechanical" failures have happened multiple times in two seasons now.

They've got to sort those out before contending for the title next year.

Nicky and Vale had a tough year.

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Its official. Rossi to get Bridgestones.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto...idgestone.html
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Moto GP Racer

i think Rossi switching to BS will do him again next season, i mean with the new tire rules in place for next season michelin will have a better selection of tires suited for the race conditions, not only can you have more tires but you can actually pick them after testing (FP1).

also when the track is repaved they will also allow development riders to test the new surface 4weeks in advance which gives the tire manufacturers info on how to make their tires for the new surface.

with michelin armed with this season's info they can make tires suitable for a wide range of conditions just like bridgestones have this year, another factor is yamaha, if they keep churning up subpar equipment they can kiss Rossi's butt goodbye as he will be leaving for another manufacturer (hopefully Kawa).

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page