Nicky Hayden Interview from the Soup (SBK Planet) - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nicky Hayden Interview from the Soup (SBK Planet)

Interview: Nick Hayden
bottom line is the bike was too small, I didn't like it
by dean adams and susan haas
Friday, November 16, 2007
Q You're hitting the big time with this MTV movie.

A Well, it's all pretty much over now. They made a movie about MotoGP, and about me, my family. They started last year at Portugal, of all places. Portugal, Valencia last year was good for TV, I guess. That's where it started, and that's basically where it ended this year. It turned out okay, actually, I think. Sure, there's a few things in there that are a little bit silly, but I don't think they totally did injustice to the sport. As far as, you see Supercross, the movie, and some of that stuff that was so cheesy and so corny. There's a few things in there that was kind of made up, like me and Rog going fishing, and a few things they kind of had to do that was for reality. But actually, there was some people at MTV that really believed in the project and really worked hard to make it happen, and spent a lot of money spending the crew all over around the world. I think it turned out all right. Obviously, I guess, the people will be the judge of it, but they show enough about the sport to let people learn. It's not transmissions and split times, they don't go that deep into it, but they explain points systems, and you kind of get the hint, of course they like a lot of crashes in there. But overall, I think it turned out pretty good.

"I certainly didn't gel with that bike. From the time I sat on it, it didn't feel right. When we pulled the blankets off it last year at Valencia, I thought, "Are you kidding me?" And I sat on it, and I thought, "No, this has got to be a joke. Is somebody trying to punk me, like the TV show?"

Obviously, MTV around the world is really excited about it, and want to pick it up, but even here in America it'll help the sport, help get some interest to put it out in front of a crowd of people that hasn't seen it. I was at MTV today doing the TRL and some radio stuff. I was actually surprised. They seem more excited about the movie than I thought. Johnny Knoxville was in there, and he wanted to know when the movie's coming out, and already wants a copy of it. Who knows? Some people might think it's a dud, but I think it'll be a good thing for our sport.

Q What is the premise? Did they follow you around, with a camera?

A Yeah. They had a crew. In the beginning, it was a bigger crew. They had a sound guy, camera guy, director guy. After a little bit, I - I mean, they were cool. I got to call the shots, and I had a meeting, and I was like, "Hey, let's cut it back a little bit." And then they cut it back to just three or four guys. A sound guy, camera guy, and like an extra. They kind of got to be into the sport. Kelly, a girl there who worked on it, they got to be into the sport, and was in with the mechanics. It was almost like I didn't even really know they were there. They didn't go to every race, but they pretty well knew when to get lost and when not to be in the garage. Obviously, they couldn't film things with the fairings off and things like that, but they followed me around to my press conferences after the day. A few stuff in the motor home. Sometimes they would come in there and film me getting ready. I did nothing any different.

They would film me and Eldon in the motor home talking about stuff. Some of the press conferences, and different stuff like that, and in the garage. And then they came to Kentucky some, and shot some stuff. There's a bit in the movie of me and Tommy riding flat track. Me and Roger fishing one day. We went and visited my sisters at Kingland and watched the horse races. That's in the movie. You would be surprised. They shot a lot of stuff that never got in the movie. One thing was kind of cool was they were shooting me watching Roger Lee's 600 championship race live on the Internet, which was almost like a movie with all the red flags. That didn't make it, but a few things that didn't make it, they say they might to an extra DVD later.
That's pretty much the gist of it. They have a commentator, a European commentator. They show a lot of sound bites from that side, during the races. Obviously, this year, there wasn't a lot of good points, but I guess that's life. Some of that stuff, it's got highs and lows, like the sport really has. Valencia last year, and then crashes this year, Laguna, results that sucked. So it pretty much gets a little bit of everything.

Q You bring up the 2007 season. How do you look at it? Is it the worst year of your life?

A I mean... Worst year of my life is pretty harsh. Yeah, I'd say it was the hardest year. But when I really step back and look at things like, guys like Merlyn, young guys just dying, I don't want to say worst, because things could always be a lot worse. I've tried to stay positive. I've got a factory ride on what I think's the best team in racing, factory Honda MotoGP, and sitting here in New York. Things can always be a lot worse. It was certainly hard. I don't want to sit here and try to justify the crap season and sound like any more of a crybaby and make any more excuses than I've already done this year, because all that's over.

From the time I got on that new bike, or from my shoulder injury last year at Portugal, and then the off-season, that put me behind coming into the season, and bottom line is the bike was too small, I didn't like it, I didn't feel comfortable on it. I could go into tires, this or that, but bottom line is we--me, bike, team, tires--everybody didn't get the job done at times. I made mistakes. Crashing out at LeMans, a few times like that. All that sucks, but I can honestly say this year I learned a lot. About my team, and about life, and people around me. Last year, you win the championship, you make so many friends, and this year you really learn a lot more about what's going on in that paddock. I can honestly look in the mirror and say, as hard as things went this year, we didn't give up. Never lost motivation. What was tough was at the end of the year I had so much better speed and potential than I showed. It was just little things that went wrong. The one race I did have a chance to be up front, the engine breaks, which is almost unheard of. It's a lot of excuses. Motegi I was on the front row, and possibly could've had a good race there, and then rain. A lot of excuses, basically. Valencia, though, we had a big issue with tires there. Malaysia, end of the year, I had the speed there. I just made too many rider errors. That was tough to take, just to know that we had the potential.

I would say this is not just a job to me. This is my passion. My life. I get up every morning to try to be World Champion again. It definitely affects me.

But at the end of the year, things were a lot better than it actually looked on paper. It was tough not to get a good result before the season was over, but I do feel like I learned a lot, and I've just got to put this season behind me and get over it. That's really all there is to say.

Q To people that know you, it seemed very apparent early in the season that you were taking this very, very personally. The bad results, the state of the bike.

A Yeah. I would say this is not just a job to me. This is my passion. My life. I get up every morning to try to be World Champion again. It definitely affects me. Even now, I'm still having a hard time getting over Valencia, because I went out Tuesday with some different tires, and immediately went a second faster, almost, than I went all weekend. That's tough. But I guess in this game you can't enjoy the wins too much or let the losses hit too hard. But it was tough. I came into the season after being a champion, I wanted to back it up. I wanted to have a good year. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself. I tried too hard at times at the beginning of the year. I crashed more than I ever have in MotoGP. A lot of it's because the bike was not working for me--every time I pushed, I crashed. It was tough. No doubt about that.

Q The 212, I can't think of another motorcycle that would be less suited to you.

A Yeah. I certainly didn't gel with that bike. From the time I sat on it, it didn't feel right. When we pulled the blankets off it last year at Valencia, I thought, "Are you kidding me?" And I sat on it, and I thought, "No, this has got to be a joke. Is somebody trying to punk me, like the TV show?" But as it went along, I felt a lot better. That's one thing, too. I've got to appreciate Honda, even though at the beginning of the season, mid-season, the results weren't coming, it's not like everybody thought they would just totally scrap this season and look toward next year. They kept working hard. That bike did not suit my style like the 990 the year before. I probably didn't make the transition to the 800 as good as I should have. It was definitely not a great start, but it's a rider's job to adapt and to learn to ride it.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Interview: Honda's Nicky Hayden

Monday, November 19, 2007

This is the second installment of our Nicky Hayden interview.

Q Conspiracy theorists will say that the bike was developed for Pedrosa with input from his friend, Mr. Puig. Your thoughts?

A Well, you know, that's a touchy subject. People have probably already formed their opinion. I can see where people get that. I can't really argue with that point. Honda has a lot of belief in him. But I can say there's people at Honda who I feel are truly behind me. A lot of people, I guess, on this side, don't understand the politics that go into MotoGP. There's definitely a lot, with sponsors, passports, teams, things that go a lot deeper than tires, than just the rider. That's another thing that made this season kind of tough, was definitely a lot of things like that. That's a touchy subject. I don't want to just BS you all and dance around the question too much, but I don't want to say anything, because I really think next year, the input on next year's bike, they listened to me a bit more. And even this year, because I'm the main test rider at Honda, so they've got to listen to me some.

Q In the end, was this year's 212 that far off, in the last third of the season?

A No, I can't say so. If you watched Valencia, Dani went past Stoner on the straightaway pretty easily. So I really don't think - I would say our bike - well, the Kawasaki improved a lot, but from the start of the season to the end of the season, our bike improved so much. The main thing for me at the
"A lot of people, I guess, on this side, don't understand the politics that go into MotoGP. There's definitely a lot, with sponsors, passports, teams, things that go a lot deeper than tires, than just the rider."

end of the year, engine-wise, I was really fast. Fast engines on Friday. But my fuel consumption was really bad, especially some of the races at the end of the year. Come race day I had to lean my engine off so much to go the distance, that it made it a lot harder. That's one thing that happened at Valencia at the end of the race. The engine had to lean itself off late in the race. But I think the bike was not far away at the end. We had a few tire issues and a few things, but we made a lot of progress this year, as the season went on. Not just with parts, but of all the teams, Honda started completely over, where a lot of people just changed engines. Our bike was totally different for this year, and maybe it'll be better in the future, but I think maybe that got us behind a little bit.

I think the hard thing is everybody just expects so much from Honda. Everybody thought we were going to dominate, me included. I thought, new rule change Honda wanted. The results they've put together the last 25 years, HRC, you have such high expectations. It's like Rossi. You look at his season, and everybody talks about how bad it was, but I think four wins, third in points, some people expect more from some people, and I think Honda's one of them.

Q The Michelin situation was very curious to watch. From an observational standpoint, it didn't seem like their response was as urgent as one might expect in world championship racing.

A Yeah. The tires were such a big part of this season. I'm almost tired of talking about it, because if I was a fan at home, you sound like a whiner. You sound like, "Quit making excuses." But tires, now, in our sport—or any sport, especially on pavement—just make such a huge difference. It's can really make or break you. I think it's almost every bit as important as the bike. Really I do. Places this year, when the Michelin tires just did not work—Laguna being one of them. It don't matter what the team or rider did, he didn't have a chance. That was also a kind of frustrating part. But I'm like any rider. I want things fixed overnight for in the morning. At that level, it's not that easy for Michelin, tire company or bike company or anybody else, to just work miracles. A lot of things changed at Michelin, position this or that. But I will say that we did see progress as the season went on. At the end of the year, the last few races, they did make some progress. It definitely is encouraging for the future. But Bridgestone also is going to make a better tire. But at the end of the season, sure, we had better tires than we had mid-season at some places. That is encouraging. Michelin's got big plans for next year. Some more tests. Testing I think is the big area where Bridgestone got an advantage. Just spending money, as hard as it is. Our sport, it's just sometimes how much money you want to spend, and Michelin's going to up their budget, and we'll see if they get the results. They talk about it, and say, oh, they want to fight back, and they want to win the title again. So we'll see. See if they want to talk about it or if they really want to do it. But I was all for sticking with them. Hopefully they'll deliver. Not that I had a choice, but yeah.

To be continued

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Pretty candid interview, good deal.

Go Nicky 08!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
hmm. I wonder how Rossi's interview would differ.

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not to be **** but its kind of rude to copy and paste the entire article from other sites. Sites like Soup depend on visitor statistics and ad revenue so if their articles get copied it skews their numbers. Not that it will kill them if no one from here visits their site but it is a way to support sites that cover the sport. Besides, its not going to kill anybody to make an extra click to read the article at the original site.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 04:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Good interview.

2007 600 RR (track)
Steel Braided Brake Lines
CRG Levers
-1 in the front
Woodcraft engine covers
Renthol Firm Grips
Zero Gravity clear double bubble windscreen
Ohlins 25mm "R&T" Supersport Fork Cartridge Kit
Gilles VCR
E-Racing Platics

2002 Yellow 600 F4I (Street)
Flushmounts
Hotbodies undertail with integrated tail lights
Jardine RT-One Slip On

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Irish View Post
Not to be **** but its kind of rude to copy and paste the entire article from other sites. Sites like Soup depend on visitor statistics and ad revenue so if their articles get copied it skews their numbers. Not that it will kill them if no one from here visits their site but it is a way to support sites that cover the sport. Besides, its not going to kill anybody to make an extra click to read the article at the original site.
Not the be (fill in the blank) but how many times have articles been cut and pasted onto this site and you're just NOW making a comment on it? Bro, EVERY site depends on visitor statistics and ad revenue; it's the only way that non-subscriber sites make any money at all. And for some a click is too much to get to an article. For those, the article is there to read. What about those who can't read it because of a work firewall? I gave credit where credit was due so lighten up a bit, ok? I'm just helping people on the board read an article that I thought was interesting. Chill... sounds like YOU'RE being paid by Soup or something. I expect you to make a comment from now on for every post that contains a cut and paste :)

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
dude, shut up.

thanks for the post soop. that was a great interview i thought. I dont get why people dislike this kid so much but, whatever. you must have been busy this last week, i was waiting for you to post up times from the last test where nicky was the fastest:) youre usually on top of it:) i had to go check for myself.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Not to be **** but its kind of rude to copy and paste the entire article from other sites. Sites like Soup depend on visitor statistics and ad revenue so if their articles get copied it skews their numbers.........
the website and author were duly credited in both the title and the body of the post.

no violation here.

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12 View Post
Not the be (fill in the blank) but how many times have articles been cut and pasted onto this site and you're just NOW making a comment on it? Bro, EVERY site depends on visitor statistics and ad revenue; it's the only way that non-subscriber sites make any money at all. And for some a click is too much to get to an article. For those, the article is there to read. What about those who can't read it because of a work firewall?
Well I'd have to think that if your work firewall is so draconian that it blocks Soup, that it would also block 600RR.net. Sure there are some that are too lazy to click a link but I'd have to think they are a small minority.

Quote:
I gave credit where credit was due so lighten up a bit, ok? I'm just helping people on the board read an article that I thought was interesting. Chill... sounds like YOU'RE being paid by Soup or something.
I don't work for Soup but I do press stuff for another site and I've met Soup people as well as people from other sites. This stuff isn't making them rich, far from it. And I also know how it is trying to get press access to events or access to people in the racing world. Sanctioning bodies (like DORNA) will ask to see your web stats and based on that they may or may not grant you credentials.

Even then, in the case of Dorna, they charge 1000 Euros per event to give web sites credentials. So on top of having to make their case with visitors per month and hits, they've got to make enough money from advertising (which rely on click-throughs) to be able to afford to attend those events (in addition to airfare, hotel, etc).

Quote:
I expect you to make a comment from now on for every post that contains a cut and paste :)
I'm not a mod so I'm not going to attempt to police everything here. I posted because I think that you didn't have any ill intent behind copy and pasting and that maybe you just didn't consider how it affects the sites that cover the sport. Sure, not having 100 or 200 hits is not going to kill them. But if every forum does that you've got a good chunk of traffic that is not going to the people who are providing the content. I'm just saying that we should support the sites that are bringing us the goods. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort, doesn't cost anything, and the more you support those sites the more coverage they can afford to do.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:00 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
damn soop, can we ever just talk about nicky without a nicky hater or some kind of irrelevant mess of crap coming into the thread?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Quote:
Well I'd have to think that if your work firewall is so draconian that it blocks Soup, that it would also block 600RR.net. Sure there are some that are too lazy to click a link but I'd have to think they are a small minority.

I don't work for Soup but I do press stuff for another site and I've met Soup people as well as people from other sites. This stuff isn't making them rich, far from it. And I also know how it is trying to get press access to events or access to people in the racing world. Sanctioning bodies (like DORNA) will ask to see your web stats and based on that they may or may not grant you credentials.

Even then, in the case of Dorna, they charge 1000 Euros per event to give web sites credentials. So on top of having to make their case with visitors per month and hits, they've got to make enough money from advertising (which rely on click-throughs) to be able to afford to attend those events (in addition to airfare, hotel, etc).

I'm not a mod so I'm not going to attempt to police everything here. I posted because I think that you didn't have any ill intent behind copy and pasting and that maybe you just didn't consider how it affects the sites that cover the sport. Sure, not having 100 or 200 hits is not going to kill them. But if every forum does that you've got a good chunk of traffic that is not going to the people who are providing the content. I'm just saying that we should support the sites that are bringing us the goods. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort, doesn't cost anything, and the more you support those sites the more coverage they can afford to do.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment and I fully understand.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaines1016 View Post
damn soop, can we ever just talk about nicky without a nicky hater or some kind of irrelevant mess of crap coming into the thread?
Nope. Can't. Virtually impossible.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaines1016 View Post
dude, shut up.

thanks for the post soop. that was a great interview i thought. I dont get why people dislike this kid so much but, whatever. you must have been busy this last week, i was waiting for you to post up times from the last test where nicky was the fastest:) youre usually on top of it:) i had to go check for myself.
By the way, I didn't post because I was blocked from the interweb at work for like 5 days. Let me tell you, I was so freakin' productive, I finished all my EOY reports by 10am Monday morning. I literally sat at my desk until 4pm looking at a blank computer screen.

But I tell you, I would have been all over posting up those times. Also because a lot of people thought that those times were on the 08 machine. Nicky Hayden busted the Sepang LAP RECORD on the 07 machine, which is freakin' unbelievable to me.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12 View Post
Interview: Honda's Nicky Hayden
Q Conspiracy theorists will say that the bike was developed for Pedrosa with input from his friend, Mr. Puig. Your thoughts?

A Well, you know, that's a touchy subject. People have probably already formed their opinion. I can see where people get that. I can't really argue with that point. Honda has a lot of belief in him. But I can say there's people at Honda who I feel are truly behind me. A lot of people, I guess, on this side, don't understand the politics that go into MotoGP. There's definitely a lot, with sponsors, passports, teams, things that go a lot deeper than tires, than just the rider. That's another thing that made this season kind of tough, was definitely a lot of things like that. That's a touchy subject. I don't want to just BS you all and dance around the question too much, but I don't want to say anything, because I really think next year, the input on next year's bike, they listened to me a bit more. And even this year, because I'm the main test rider at Honda, so they've got to listen to me some.
There you have it. Straight from the horses mouth. No bullsht speculation on team politics from random people on what they think is going on at HRC. Nicky says it in the most policially correct way he can without saying "Yeah the team and sponsors favor podbot". I still find HRC actions bewildering... Though In 08 HRC will give nicky some of the well earned respect he deserves and judging by the pics of the new bike, which seems to be Human sized this year, that seems to be the case.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:55 PM

also part three is up...

I agree with G Isrish so heres the link

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Nov/071121-69-3.htm

:)
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Knee Dragger

HRC should be ashamed of themselves for the 07 season period. They designed a bike for the midget & not the World Champion. Nicky deserved much better this season than what he got. The MTV special about him really does portray him in a good way. A guy that really wanted to defend his title & win yet HRC sure didnt help. +1 Nick,-1 HRC & -1000 Pedrosa

K7 GSX-R 600 Blue/White,Racefit Growler,BMC Race,FuelMoto PCIII,HID,BRG 1/5 throttle & Gixxer store FE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page