Interview with Dani Pedrosa (from Mundodeportivo.es) - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Interview with Dani Pedrosa (from Mundodeportivo.es)

...in case you want to read it in Spanish, it's HERE.

You know, just when I was gaining respect for Dani, he goes and opens his trap!
"Better just wrong that accompanied"
Interview with Dani Pedrosa, runner-up world MotoGP
Elvira Gonzalez-09/11/2007 03:00

--- translated more accurately 1 post down =)

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)

Last edited by NesNeedsBoost; 11-24-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Re-translated by NesNeedsBoost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i'm a native spanish speaker, so i'll give u guys the no frills translation of the interview.

- Interviewer asked dani -" In an interview before this season started, you said those who bet on you would win a ton of money." Could you predict this season would turn out the way it did?

- Dani - Well, more or less. The truth is that we had surprises. Even then we knew that (this season) was going to be difficult, but not as tough as it turned out to be. We also knew that Ducati made a good motorcycle because the first time it debuted in Brno, the Ducati was as fast (if not faster) than the 990cc rc211v on the straights (side by side). We knew it was a VERY fast motorcycle since then.

When did it become clear that the rc212v would not be competitive as the Ducati GP bike?

- At Mugello, I noticed we weren't competitive enough for a whole race. We were fast during qualifying, but the bike would slow down mid-race. We were fast in one corner, but I knew we were racing with a handicap.

And when did you know the title was lost?

- We knew between Laguna Seca and Brno that the title was out of reach for us.

Has this been the most difficult year of your career?

- Possibly, since we had to struggle so much with the engineers to make the bike better. We had many meetings with the factory to try to get information flowing in and out more efficiently, and to get the needed changes made in time. It was also difficult because we didn't meet everyone's expectations. Not just fans' expectations, but our own as well. But we've learned from alot from this.

When you heard and read rumors that the bike was "custom" made for your size, what did you think?

- Well I thought they (writers, etc.) didn't know much at all, and that's the most polite way I can put it.

The fighting spirit was not lost at any time because until the last Grand Prix (Valencia), you were struggling to win races. But what went through your head during all these months?

- Many things because we had so many problems that we focused on some things, and neglected others, and ended up going from one place to another. The vision was not as comprehensive in certain moments, opinions kept changing, first it was the bike, then the tires. We were highly concentrated in certain points which deprived us of an overall vision which was to take what we had and do our best.
.. continued

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

Last edited by NesNeedsBoost; 11-24-2007 at 06:11 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

And what was the turning point?

- From Brno we said: well, enough with the complaining alread. This is what we have and nobody is going to fix it for us. It was clear that we had tried everything but could not improve the bike or the tires, so we put all our effort to try to minimize the damage.

How does a multiple-race winner such as yourself cope with 10 consecutive races without a win this season, and a streak of 17 races without a win?

- At first I did not think much of it, because after the crash at Malaysia last year, we were winless as a result of the fall. But this season felt dreadfully long. We were very close, but I was missing that last little bit mid-race and towards the end of the races, but I was always looking for it.

How would you rate yourself, your team, and Honda?

- Thats tough. Not because I do not want to grade us, but because things have already passed, and between us we have already spoken. Everyone already knows what they need to improve, and I would not want to publicly criticize anyone. But as for me, in the first part of the championship I was good, in the second not so good, and the last part I rode very well.

What were the highlights for you in 2007?

- Probably the last race at Valencia was my favorite, but also the close race with Rossi at Portugal (Estoril), and Le Mans in the rain.

How much do you feel the bike has progressed since it was introduced to you in Sepang preseason testing, up until the the last race at Valencia?

- I would say probably not much, but in the way that a parent doesn't see their child growing on a day to day basis, yet someone visits months/years later and the child has "changed" so much to them. Up until Barcelona, we began to achieve significant improvements in terms of quality. Ever since then, we made minor improvements, but nothing really major.

If you had the bike working as it did at Valencia since race 1, do you think you could have gone head to head with Casey Stoner?

- Perhaps I could have been closer, but it is what it is. We have had many ups and downs. Valencia was a high, but Phillip Island was our low. Although the expectations were very high, I'd go race and we wouldn't perform. We could have done more at some races where we probably lacked that extra drive.

Do you think you worked harder to be 2nd place than Casey did to be Champion?

- It would seem so.

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

Last edited by NesNeedsBoost; 11-21-2007 at 05:15 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Moto GP Racer

Do you envy the Ducati and Casey's situation this year?

- I wouldn't say envy, but you think that in theory it should have been the other way around. But it's fine, it has been his moment and let's see how long it lasts.

Does it bother you that another rival (coming up from 125, and 250cc) has won the MotoGP championship before you?

- Not really, but it would've been nice to win it before he did.

Is it any consolation you beat Rossi for 2nd place?

- Yes, to an extent.

Was Stoner's championship a matter of who had the better bike, or who was the better rider?

- It was about both bike and rider.

What lessons have you learned from the 2007 season?
That I have to be very involved with the technical stuff, because we cannot leave the most minimal issue untouched or even one loose bolt. We have to tighten every screw and be technically flawless, and that's when the bike works best. At the end of this season we worked hard on this.

Looking forward to 2008, can you make any promises/predictions?
It is not a question of promises, but that Honda, Michelin and myself, everyone has realized their mistakes. If you want to sleep do so at home, but if they come here, it's to work. Now everyone has the message and that is important.

Is that why it took so much to renew your contract with Honda?
No, honestly it was because I was not happy with the conditions and still had to make believe I was happy. Yes, it was a possibility that I could leave Honda. Obviously I was not happy with the situation and I wasn't going to fool anyone. All we wanted was to improve my situation.

Last edited by NesNeedsBoost; 11-24-2007 at 01:31 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Moto GP Racer

With Masumi Hamane the new president of HRC since May, Do you feel more secure?
He has given more strength to the team and i'm happy because the new organizational structure is much more powerful.

Do you feel now that you're the MAIN rider at HRC and not just teammate to the world champion?
This team highly appreciates both riders.

Was that the main problem this year?
The problem is that a Champion (nicky) does not have a good idea of how to develop a motorcycle, and we had the engineers going crazy. One on the right ear and one on the left ear...and in the end, they would would complain because they (nicky's camp) wanted the parts I was given. It has been a difficult year because we've been going in two directions. Everything will flow in one direction as soon as we stop disagreeing so much.

Could this be the reason Rossi wants to be on his own (with Bridgestone) and Lorenzo on the other Yamaha?

Yes.

If given the opportunity, would you prefer it this way with Honda?
Yes.

Is it better alone than with bad company?
Yes, absolutely. If I have to take a responsibility I take it to 100% because I trust what I feel in my knowledge as a rider and I think I can carry this into the right direction. But with the year we have had, it has been very difficult to get the engineers always thinking on the same page.

What do you think of the new tire rule with a higher number of tires to choose from?
I do not know, let's see what happens. I would have preferred to choose tires AFTER qualifying, and then decide which tires to run on raceday, but they weren't buying it. We will see if we run closer now. Before it was uneven, and Bridgestone still has the advantage. But we'll see if the new rules even things out.

The 2007 season ended sunday and Preseason for 2008 began on Tuesday. Is it good for the season to turn the page quickly or would you prefer to go on vacation?
In my opinion, the best thing was to go on vacation and come back. But from a technical standpoint, developing the bike requires a lot of time and it is necessary to improve for next year.

Last edited by NesNeedsBoost; 11-21-2007 at 05:21 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

ok so my opinion....

Dani's a douche. He blames HRC, the engineers, and Nicky Hayden for not winning....even worse, for Nicky's team being a DISTRACTION in the development of the new bike.

We'll see what happens in 2008.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
yeah i agree with you nes...basically saying nicky doesnt know how to develop...pretty jacked up throwing your teammate under the bus after you almost jacked up his championship by torpedoing him...yet he never threw you under the bus...not once...maybe privately, but never like that

2006 CBR 600RR v.2 (picked up 08/18/2007)
2006 CBR 600RR v.1 (lowsided 07/22/07 @ appx. 9:55am)
1996 Honda Prelude VTEC
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan (R.I.P. 12/22/2010)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
oh that's a classic one.. coming right out and saying nicky can't develop a bike :icon_lol:
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow that doesn't bode well for team relations next season. I've thought for awhile that Dani was Max Biaggi pt II and he's certainly making a case for it.

What I find funny is that Dani decided not to show up to the Sepang I test. If he fancies himself such a great developer maybe he should be out riding the bike instead of taking a holiday.

I suppose all sins are forgiven with wins though. He might be a prick but if he wins he can't really be faulted. But he can damned sure be hated.

Tell you what, he would've gotten a very nasty welcome to Laguna next year if Nicky had lost the title because of him. With him saying **** like this I wouldn't be surprised to see people with Dani dolls hanging from nooses at the track...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Its also interesting reading the comments. It seems like he's becoming a villain to some of the Spanish fans as well.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

So I was write, Dani is a jerkface. In the broken translation, it's still very clear that Dani bashed on Nicky and would still rather have a split garage. What a jerk. I have lost total respect for him. Good thing it's in Spanish otherwise Nicky would know exactly how Dani feels.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Oh, by the way, thanks Nes for translating it better. I just wanted people to be able to read the interview. Also, what happened to all the original replies?

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Irish View Post
Wow that doesn't bode well for team relations next season. I've thought for awhile that Dani was Max Biaggi pt II and he's certainly making a case for it.

What I find funny is that Dani decided not to show up to the Sepang I test. If he fancies himself such a great developer maybe he should be out riding the bike instead of taking a holiday.

I suppose all sins are forgiven with wins though. He might be a prick but if he wins he can't really be faulted. But he can damned sure be hated.

Tell you what, he would've gotten a very nasty welcome to Laguna next year if Nicky had lost the title because of him. With him saying **** like this I wouldn't be surprised to see people with Dani dolls hanging from nooses at the track...

Actually, in a move of arrogance, Dani believes that he's done all the testing he needed to do for the bike in Valencia (?!?!) He told HRC EXACTLY what the bike needed so he didn't bother to come to Sepang because none of the parts that he requested would be ready until Jerez. So, he decided to skip out on Sepang.

I want nothing less than for Nicky to run circles around Dani in 2008, prove once and for all that he knows what he's doing. Oh, just to put it in perspective, Nicky's last 3-4 races were done on Michelin's new 16" tire. So, the results aren't as comparable to Dani's. In testing, Nicky ran his fastest laps on the 16.5", although that's mixed in with the 16" testing too.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

- Nicky Hayden #69

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Post Whore Extraordinaire

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
yeah we were talking bout this on big dot net last night.

No more mod listing, shits is STILL too long

03 600RR > 04 1000RR > 06 R6V > 05 600RR > 06 R1 > 09 1000RR > 10 RSV4R :gun:
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12 View Post
Also, what happened to all the original replies?
just thought i'd clean the thread up for you bro. didn't want a whole bunch of mixed posts between my translated posts.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Knee Dragger

thanks NesNeedsboost for translating that..

2007 600RR Black with some more black

Hot bodies flush mounts
Kr Tuned CF S/O
Painted mid fairings
Pazzo shorty levers
Puig DS dbl bub windscreen
Stomp grip tank pads(clear)
Carbon tank pad
Carbon rear deck cover
OEM seat cowl
R & G tail Tidy
SME Front axle sliders and rear axle block sliders
Painted seat rails (flat black)
Blacked out bolts and pieces
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Great translation, thanks!

03 RR
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:45 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I cross posted this story in other forums and Road Racer X even picked up on it (I know Chris Jonnum reads the Speed forum from time to time). Check out the mention in the Road Racerhead article from last Friday:

http://roadracerx.com/article.php?article_id=574

He also mentions that he's got sources within Repsol Honda that disagree with Pedrosa's version of events.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesNeedsBoost View Post
Was that the main problem this year?
The problem is that a Champion (nicky) does not have a good idea of how to develop a motorcycle, and we had the engineers going crazy. One on the right ear and one on the left ear...and in the end, they would would complain because they (nicky's camp) wanted the parts I was given. It has been a difficult year because we've been going in two directions. Everything will flow in one direction as soon as we stop disagreeing so much.

I used to just be annoyed by podbot but now im starting to hate him... If nicky has no idea how to develop a motorcycle then why the hell is he the one doing to bulk of the testing?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 03:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I do agree with what he said about Stoner, though.

madbrown75 on adding Acetone to your gasoline:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrown75 View Post
"I'll try it and let you guys know. I am not scared."

07' 600RR Red/Black
Akrapovic Slipon ~ Motovation Axle & Fork Sliders ~ Shogun Frame Sliders ~ Puig Screen ~ OEM Cowl ~ Sylvania SS Bulbs ~ Modded Hotbodies Flushies ~ PC'ed Rearsets, Heatshield, Levers & Pass Pegs ~ LP Rear Blinkers ~ Painted Subframe ~
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooldog01 View Post
I do agree with what he said about Stoner, though.
what part, that he worked harder to be 2nd? That's bullsh*t, and if you don't wanna believe that, Stoner might have a couple choice words for you..one starts with a F, the other with a "You".

I agree when he said it was both bike and rider. The smaller engine and overall bike fit Casey better...AND Ducati/Bridgestone got things clicking early and often. Can't hate on him, just give him his due props.

Stoner's one of the most humble, yet hard-working guys ever in GP...on any level. If Pedrosa performs as well as he talks sh*t, he'll be a major contender in 2008. But I guess it's better to enjoy a vacation while your teammate undergoes GRUESOME testing laps on a bike he can't "develop" anyway.

Last edited by NesNeedsBoost; 11-25-2007 at 03:27 PM.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Kinda thought that Danni was that kinda guy but he prove it in this interview.What a loser, would not want him as a team-mate thats for sure.

K7 GSX-R 600 Blue/White,Racefit Growler,BMC Race,FuelMoto PCIII,HID,BRG 1/5 throttle & Gixxer store FE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page