Team KR out for 2008 season - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Team KR out for 2008 season

Well, it seems the last of the privateers is gone, at least for this season.

http://www.motogpnews.com/home.php?pageid=985

Team Roberts out for 2008
The weakened grid get weaker

(13/01/2008)

It's with saddened hearts that we at MGPN have learnt that Team Roberts will not be competing in the 2008 MotoGP championship.

2007 proved to be a dire season for Team KR thanks to a catalogue of uncontrollable problems that stemmed from being supplied with a rubbish engine from Honda and resulted in them having use Kurtis as a rider.
Their engine supplier Honda, who instigated the 800cc rule change for 2007, oddly started the season in bad shape and understandably yet evilly concentrated all their efforts on their factory team. This left Team KR as stranded as Pedrosa on a tall chair.

A punch up followed that consequentially left the Banbury team needing a new engine supplier. Only the Ducati lumps were available but Team KR found themselves unable to raise the cash for the engines after the Italian team threw an extra few 'noughts' on the end of their price following the 2007 success.

Team KR were the last true privateer team in MotoGP and will be missed by all in 2008 and will leave the sorry remaining grid yet more depleted.
Hopefully two things will happen:-

1) Team Roberts will rejoin the fun in 2009
2) The rules will be changed to simplify MotoGP enough to allow privateer teams back into our sport.

Failing that expect the 2010 championship to have 10 riders in it.

Very sad news. Gotta wonder when someone will stop the madness. Its going to get to a point where there are a dozen bikes on the grid unless something is changed.

Oh well..

Last edited by Moeman; 01-17-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Man this sucks hopefully next season they can get some financing from race lovers
like Michael Jordan for example

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks for hooking the post up Moe.

I think with new rules being handed down in AMA may give more people a chance. Guess we just need to wait and see who gets the rights for advertising.

At least WSB is coming to MMP! I just hope those new 1198's don't dominate..

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yea that SUCKS! I enjoyed seeing them in there!!! And the KR212V have some good finishes!

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
No worries man you would think with so much money in US market
some magoul would step up to the plate and invest some serious money
in Moto G.P so we live and hope
WSB in MMP will be awesome sorry i will miss it

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I liked when KRJR was competitive in 2006. Watching Kurtis ride around in last sucked. Hopefully they can come back with a competitive bike and rider.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:26 PM
World Superbike Racer

thats just BS. it will really be 10 riders soon enough...

The Loss of the last privateer team in MotoGP is just bad for business. Big Motor houses like Honda and Ducati should know better. soon enough, Moto GP will end up with 10 riders on the grid, and Superbike will take over. Who wants to watch a monopoly game with limited players? No one.
Reading in many motorcycle forums on the net, its seems to be a consensus that the loss of the KR team in 08 is indeed that, a loss. And shame on Honda and Ducati for not making way for the privateer, the 1st 2 original company's to make racing motorcycles should be happy to make the grid more diverse. Its not like they give them all the factory parts in the 1st place...

no kudos to them.

Im with you Moeman, with plans to include Indianapolis on the schedule for MotoGP, it would be of great interest for someone to invest...

"You motorboating son-of-a-bitch!"
http://www.myspace.com/thegovernor
http://www.teamosg.com

Last edited by RRnelcheeze; 01-17-2008 at 10:46 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

wow that sucks, like seeing privateer teams race. hope this isnt a trend for other non-factory teams.

"Mi SCUSI"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Man this sucks. Guess that's it for Kenny Jr's racing career.

-------------------------
Bikes: 04 R1; 06 cbr600rr
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:07 AM
gee
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD crew off their meds!!

they really needed a new rider
now at least they might have a chance to chase finance and other development for the 09 season
and hopefully we might see a rule change , easing the way for smaller private teams to gain a level playing field!

IGOT new stuff ...disco helped me good!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Yes, I agree 100%, Canon Cameras SUCK! .
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomas218 View Post
This left Team KR as stranded as Pedrosa on a tall chair.
ROFL

It was sad to see team KR do so poor last year after their run in '06. Hopefully Kenny Jr. can pick up another ride in the short future, even if it's in a different series.

Eric
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:44 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I fail to see how this is Honda's fault. Honda supplied 7 bikes on the grid last year, a full 75% more than anyone else. Bottom line is that in 2007 they got caught with their pants down and they had to devote a lot of resources to making up all of that ground, which they did. Unfortunately that meant that for the first time in the Moto GP era none of their satellite teams won a race. Honda didn't say they were not going to give KR engines for 08, they just said they can't stretch to provide engines for 2 bikes for 08, they're already stretched as is.

I also can't really blame Ducati. Ducati is supplying 4 bikes and they're a very small company compared to the others.

If you want to blame any of the manufacturers, blame Kawasaki and Suzuki, both of whom are only supplying 2 bikes on the grid. Even then, both of those factories have a hard enough time being competitive on their own without the additional logistical challenge of supplying customer engines.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomas218 View Post
2) The rules will be changed to simplify MotoGP enough to allow privateer teams back into our sport.
I don't think that's the answer at all. For one, if you dumb down Moto GP WSBK will end up being faster and it will remove a lot of the motivation for the factories to be in Moto GP in the first place.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, the reason teams are having trouble with sponsorship in Moto GP is because they're doing a crappy job of earning it. What do I mean?

Look around, how many teams on the GP grid have a website? On those websites, how many of them sell team apparel? How many of them have more than just little images of their sponsor logos on their sites. How many teams are actively working to try to make their sponsor more money?

Look at Team KR. You can't buy any team apparel on their site. That's money left on the table for one, and secondly, that's exposure for their sponsor that they're not getting. And they're not the only ones. How about LCR Honda? Tech3 Yamaha? D'Antin Ducati?

Moto GP's attendance and TV ratings are pretty darned strong so there's not really an excuse to be having this much trouble with sponsorship. If you look across the street at Formula 1 a sponsor might spend a few million dollars just to get their sticker on the intake of the car. F1 is no doubt bigger but there's no reason for an F1 feast and Moto GP famine. I think a major part of the problem for Moto GP is that they've had easy tobacco money for so long that they aren't as good at delivering that sponsor value as they should be.

Anyway, I hope Team KR returns but I think the main problem for them and a lot of privateer teams in motorsport is that they're not doing all they need to be doing for their sponsors.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Irish View Post
I don't think that's the answer at all. For one, if you dumb down Moto GP WSBK will end up being faster and it will remove a lot of the motivation for the factories to be in Moto GP in the first place.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, the reason teams are having trouble with sponsorship in Moto GP is because they're doing a crappy job of earning it. What do I mean?

Look around, how many teams on the GP grid have a website? On those websites, how many of them sell team apparel? How many of them have more than just little images of their sponsor logos on their sites. How many teams are actively working to try to make their sponsor more money?

Look at Team KR. You can't buy any team apparel on their site. That's money left on the table for one, and secondly, that's exposure for their sponsor that they're not getting. And they're not the only ones. How about LCR Honda? Tech3 Yamaha? D'Antin Ducati?

Moto GP's attendance and TV ratings are pretty darned strong so there's not really an excuse to be having this much trouble with sponsorship. If you look across the street at Formula 1 a sponsor might spend a few million dollars just to get their sticker on the intake of the car. F1 is no doubt bigger but there's no reason for an F1 feast and Moto GP famine. I think a major part of the problem for Moto GP is that they've had easy tobacco money for so long that they aren't as good at delivering that sponsor value as they should be.

Anyway, I hope Team KR returns but I think the main problem for them and a lot of privateer teams in motorsport is that they're not doing all they need to be doing for their sponsors.
nicely put, and i have to agree.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Knee Dragger

Its hard to run at the top level without decent sponsorship. It is hard to get sponsers these days. Here is a big thing for me. An american team in a heavily dominated eurpoeon sport will have enough problems getting sponsers because there isn't a huge american following. Therefore the Euor companys will throw there money in better invested teams for them. There are a lot of american companys can throw down some cash for a team such as Pepsi, Coke, Microsoft, beer companys, etc. But they have no concern with moto gp because there main focus is Nascar.

Hopefully with adding another race to the US will show major corporations that is indeed worth something. Bud is getting more involoved with the GP cricut via Monster energy drinks. The more the better. Honda had a tuff year and they had to focus on thier factory riders first because guess who they pay the most. So everyone else is next in line. This is nothing new with honda. Biaggi used to bitch about this all the time. Ducati..well lets face it they nearly run themselves bank-rupt with there own team. Thay are a tiny company compared to the rest.

I liked having Team KR in the series. I wont really hold blame on anyone. The circumstances didn't work out. I just hope Moto GP sticks with the 800's for some time and allow the series to develope and standardize the bikes a bit Then we may see more teams come back as they will have competitive bikes at a lesser cost.

2007 600RR Black with some more black

Hot bodies flush mounts
Kr Tuned CF S/O
Painted mid fairings
Pazzo shorty levers
Puig DS dbl bub windscreen
Stomp grip tank pads(clear)
Carbon tank pad
Carbon rear deck cover
OEM seat cowl
R & G tail Tidy
SME Front axle sliders and rear axle block sliders
Painted seat rails (flat black)
Blacked out bolts and pieces
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Pretty sad, but it follows the trend of the rest of the world. Goodbye small business, hello corporations.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:26 PM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think we're oversimplifying the funding of privateers in MotoGP. It may get down to 10 riders, but the cost of running these PROTOTYPES is ridiculously high. The cost of running a WSBK is high as well. You can't simply pin it on Honda or Ducati or whoever and say, "Pony up the engines." They can't just give the engines away. Furthermore, Honda already fields 7 bikes on the grid. That's a lot of bikes to keep the sport that we love (MotoGP) alive and running. Honda drops out and you basically have a field of 7-8 riders (IOW, half the field). I really think the onus falls upon Dorna to drum up the kind of support teams need to run. DORNA is not only hording money in MotoGP and making a pretty penny there, but their lack of influence in sponsorship and exposure is also pathogenic in BSB racing. So, when you look at it, Dorna is the common denominator, not the factories.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 PM
bcc

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if you cant compete and you cant afford it ,stick to AMA and making flushmounts .

You can only watch a top 15 (or worse) team hemorage money and bore people to death for so long before your times up .

They wont be missed by most .
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperman12 View Post
I really think the onus falls upon Dorna to drum up the kind of support teams need to run. DORNA is not only hording money in MotoGP and making a pretty penny there, but their lack of influence in sponsorship and exposure is also pathogenic in BSB racing. So, when you look at it, Dorna is the common denominator, not the factories.
That's a good point. One does have to wonder how good the revenue sharing agreement is with the teams when the ratings are so high yet the teams have such a struggle with funds and sponsors.

On one hand a lot of the rounds have title sponsors, so that's a good thing. On the other hand several of the privateer teams have been having major trouble with sponsorship. It stands to reason that Dorna holds some of the blame, but without knowing what the financial agreements look like its hard to tell how much blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc
You can only watch a top 15 (or worse) team hemorage money and bore people to death for so long before your times up .

They wont be missed by most .
I think many people would say you're wrong. Team KR did a bang up job in 2006 and they simply got caught out with the 800 cc change and the fact that Honda grossly underestimated how much horsepower they'd need. I think there are plenty of fans who want to see them do well and want to see them stay on the grid, myself included.

They've got the expertise they just need the green.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Irish View Post
I think many people would say you're wrong. Team KR did a bang up job in 2006 and they simply got caught out with the 800 cc change and the fact that Honda grossly underestimated how much horsepower they'd need. I think there are plenty of fans who want to see them do well and want to see them stay on the grid, myself included.

They've got the expertise they just need the green.
I agree. Team KR did have a good 2006 season. Honda got caught with their pants down at the beginning of the new 800 era so that meant they had to get their factory teams up to speed first.Just look at how many honda's won races in 2006 compared to 2007. Team KR was last in line when it came to getting better parts. They didn't have a big enough budget last year either.

2003 Black 600RR,Track , SOLD!! New track bike coming soon!!
NESBA/STT "I" #910

MADSPEED....
surf.skate.ride.drive.

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:28 PM
World Superbike Racer

DORNA is another can of worms!

"You motorboating son-of-a-bitch!"
http://www.myspace.com/thegovernor
http://www.teamosg.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page