Hopkins Injured at Phillip Island - 600RR.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hopkins Injured at Phillip Island

Not too terribly bad, but injured none the less, and out for the remainder of Phillip Island testing.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto...ip_island.html

Hopkins injured at Phillip Island.
Thursday, 31st January 2008

Kawasaki's John Hopkins will miss Friday's third and final day of testing at Phillip Island after injuring his hip and groin during a vicious wet-weather highside.

The Anglo-American, riding a ZX-RR in the wet for the first time, looked to have got the measure of the slick morning conditions as his lap times tumbled - but disaster struck when he got on the gas fractionally too hard at the high-speed first turn, and was catapulted over the handlebars.

Although able to return to the pits under his own steam, Hopkins suffered pain in his hip and groin once his leathers were removed. The decision was then made to transport him to a medical facility in Melbourne for precautionary x-rays and an ultrasound scan, which confirmed that he'd torn the abductor muscle on the left side of his groin.

Hopkins will now return to the United States, where he will receive laser treatment under the direction of the world renowned Doctor Ting. Untreated the injury would take four to five weeks to heal fully, but Hopkins is confident that, with the assistance of Doctor Ting, he will be back on the bike for the IRTA test in Jerez from February 16-18.

"My lap times had been coming down by a second a lap, but then I got caught out at turn one while pushing for a faster time. I got on the gas a little too early on the exit, lost the rear and got flicked over the highside when the bike came round on me," confirmed Hopper.

"I must have been horizontal in the air, because I landed flat on my side. It was a hard landing and it felt painful straight away. I went to hospital in Melbourne, where the doctors confirmed that I'd torn around 50 percent of the abductor muscle from the bone. It's not a serious injury, but it is quite painful at the moment. I'm determined to be back on the Kawasaki for the IRTA Jerez test, so I'm going to head home to see Doctor Ting and to get treatment on the injury as soon as possible," he added.

"You don't crash at Phillip Island's turn one and walk away unscathed, even in the wet," stated Kawasaki competition manager Michael Bartholemy. "It was obvious that John was in some pain and, while the initial examination by the circuit doctor indicated he hadn't broken any bones, we decided as a precaution to send him to a private clinic in Melbourne for a further examination.

"Thankfully, the x-ray and ultrasound examinations confirmed the initial assessment, but a torn abductor muscle is still a fairly debilitating injury for a racer. But John's a tough cookie, and I'm sure that with Doctor Ting's help, he'll be back on the bike at the IRTA Jerez test in February."

With Hopkins absent, team-mate Anthony West went on to finish 12th fastest during day two at his home track – and will now have to shoulder responsibility for completing Kawasaki's planned test programme at Phillip Island.

"I'm down to do a race simulation run tomorrow. Hopefully it will be just one long run; I told Hopper when he got back from the hospital that if the team make me do his race simulation as well tomorrow then he'll be getting a bill for it!" he joked.

Last edited by Moeman; 02-01-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Thank God he was not badly hurt he is a great guy very humble
get well soon man

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:15 AM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Actually, I think his injury was to the ADductor muscle and not the ABductor muscle. There isn't an ABductor muscle in the leg. Since they noted, initially, it was a groin injury, the ADductor muscle would make sense. Also, I don't know what he's talking about since he tore 50% of the muscle from the bone attachment. It's a pretty debilitating injury for a rider because that muscle is responsible for helping you squeeze your thighs together. Hopefully, Dr. Ting will be able to work his magic. He always does.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
Thank God he was not badly hurt he is a great guy very humble
get well soon man
I agree. seems like a really nice kid. Immensely talented. Wish him all the best.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 12:42 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That sucks. All the riders need to be healthy to give stoner some competiton.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
see...this is proof that hot women have the potential to completely f*ck up a man's life.

He JUST got married last month. Tony Romo got his hands on Jessica, and lost the most important game he's ever played.

Tom Brady got Gisele Bundchen, and thus will lose the Super Bowl.

Moral of the story......Hot women were put on this planet to be f*cked, not to be wed.

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I should roll down the street to see if hoppers around. Last time I was in the building next door the same day Hayden was visiting Ting. That guy is awesome. He would help all us FB players in high school when his sons were playing. He probably still does.

2007 600RR Black with some more black

Hot bodies flush mounts
Kr Tuned CF S/O
Painted mid fairings
Pazzo shorty levers
Puig DS dbl bub windscreen
Stomp grip tank pads(clear)
Carbon tank pad
Carbon rear deck cover
OEM seat cowl
R & G tail Tidy
SME Front axle sliders and rear axle block sliders
Painted seat rails (flat black)
Blacked out bolts and pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page