07-13 RR Modifications Modifications to the '07- to 013 600RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Monster Fairings 2019 review- '08 CBR

Hey all,

I have noticed that some other fairing companies have dedicated review threads, but there I couldn't find any for monster here or via google on any other manufacturer forums. I'm early in the process now, but I'll be keeping this updated as time goes along hopefully to help someone considering these guys as an option.

I chose Monster over some of the other less expensive options for a few reasons. I really wanted a Repsol bike, but I am a fan of the factory vibrant orange (CLEMSON GRAD) over the more traditional Repsol light orange, and monster looks to have that kit readily available. I will also add that HeroRR's youtube review played pretty heavily in my decision. He went from Auctmarts to Monster and seems to make it clear that he thought the price difference was warranted.

PRICE- I paid $540 shipped for the whole kit. it lists on the site for $640, however I have learned that if you add something to your cart and leave it for a few days, some retailers will send you a coupon to try to get you to move forward, this time it worked

PROJECT The starting point is an 08 CBR with about 25k on the clock and a somewhat troubled past. I picked it up in Feb of this year with some signs of spotty maintenance. The bike has obviously been down on the brake lever side, as the clutch cover is pretty gouged. I have spent all my time up until this point getting caught up on care rather than mods. Fork seals were leaking, brake pads shot, brake fluid black, chain was stretched and neglected, and the guy had mismatched grips (put two throttle sized grips on the bike as the clutch side was "too small") he did however, care enough to throw some dank eBay HID's on that bike, they put off ALMOST as much light as my iPhone. I have changed all the fluids, fixed fork seals, made sure valves were in check, new sprockets and chain, new grips/CRG levers, and tripage LED's. the factory fairings had their fair share of scratches and marks, and already have some gaps and mismatches between the tank and sides. so the normal concern of fitment with Chinese fairings doesn't really bother me. If this fit the advertised 85-90%, then they will be on par with OEM for me.

PURCHASE I made the purchase on June 1. as I write this, I don't yet have an update. As I have no customizations or changes, my hope is that they keep to the estimated 2 week production/1 week shipping timeline.

UPDATE 6/18 exchanged emails with monster, asked for update 17 days in. sent the automated response in post 3.

UPDATE 6/25 got the confirmation email today asking my to approve the pics. so 24 total days after submitting the order, pics in post 7

SHIPPED June 26, 25 days after placing the order

DELIVERED July 3rd, USPS final delivery

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'04 TJ Rubicon-5spd,5.5"lift
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6

Last edited by Grey; 07-06-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Nice man! Bought a set of matte black fairings from monster fairings as well this past week. Many YouTubers have bought their fairings in the past and will all great feedback!

Audi S4 + CBR600rr enthusiast Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
I got an update today (after I emailed them) that seems to be an automated reply, but somewhat helpful nonetheless.

I placed the order on 6/1, so im still within the acceptable 21 day window.

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:09 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
I got an update today (after I emailed them) that seems to be an automated reply, but somewhat helpful nonetheless.

I placed the order on 6/1, so im still within the acceptable 21 day window.

Your bike is currently pearl fire orange? And your buying monster fairings in pearl fire orange correct?

Do post up lots of pics of the fairings, good and bad things.

I have a pearl fire orange 600RR as well. Just ordered OEM tank cover , front fairing, and side fairings for the left side. All OEM. Cost me my kidney. I'm replacing the silver bits and silver side "y" fairing with gloss carbon fiber parts.

I'd like to see what the aftermarket fairings are like and throw a set on for when I go do track days.

That's my 600RR, love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190619_092719_685_1561316924276.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	201223  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorymick77 View Post
Your bike is currently pearl fire orange? And your buying monster fairings in pearl fire orange correct?

I have a pearl fire orange 600RR as well. Just ordered OEM tank cover , front fairing, and side fairings for the left side. All OEM. Cost me my kidney. I'm replacing the silver bits and silver side "y" fairing with gloss carbon fiber parts.

I'd like to see what the aftermarket fairings are like and throw a set on for when I go do track days.

It is indeed Pearl fire orange, which is probably one of the best OEM colors I have ever seen for any vehicle. partially the reason why I want to save them. I just had someone knock over my bike in a parking lot a few weeks ago and luckily my sliders saved me, but I want to spare these fairings.

I love your idea of swapping the side panels for something else though. the gray on the side doesn't always do it for me, and I really gave some thought to doing something like you describe, but I think Repsol bikes look so good....

I'll post as many pics as I can, that's the idea behind the thread. hopefully helps someone down the road....

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Quote:

It is indeed Pearl fire orange, which is probably one of the best OEM colors I have ever seen for any vehicle. partially the reason why I want to save them. I just had someone knock over my bike in a parking lot a few weeks ago and luckily my sliders saved me, but I want to spare these fairings.

I love your idea of swapping the side panels for something else though. the gray on the side doesn't always do it for me, and I really gave some thought to doing something like you describe, but I think Repsol bikes look so good....

I'll post as many pics as I can, that's the idea behind the thread. hopefully helps someone down the road....

I can see what Honda was envisioning with the silver and how the silver parts and frame extend right to the back though, it works.

I'll post up pics when I have my bike "de silvered".

Post up when those fairings come in!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Just got the email for confirmation of pictures. they weren't super high res, so I can't see the fine details, but I wasn't really expecting to, so I signed off on them and told them to ship them out.

Three pictures included, everything I see looks good!

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:44 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Hey OP I should buy your OEM pearl fire orange fairings from you!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Hey OP I should buy your OEM pearl fire orange fairings from you!
appreciate the offer, but nah.....

I'm going to hold onto them in case I decide to go back.

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Just finished the install and I took several pics, but none until everything was installed. I get impatient, and didn't want to slow down to take pics, so nothing showing the unboxing, haha....

A little more background, this is my first experience with aftermarket Chinese fairings. so I'll give as much detail as I can, but know that my standard and expectations may have just been way off from the beginning. Overall, they came in about where I expected, which is far from perfect, but I'm happy...

PAINT AND CLEARCOAT PAint and clear coat/bodywork is one thing that I have never really understood. Ls1tech had a "paint and bodywork" section on the forum and it was basically greek. That is a section where I just don't have the patience or the knowledge to know what Im doing and have to defer all knowledge to the experts. That said, i was mostly impressed. I didn't see any major flaws in the flat parts of the paint. The color matches my expectations and the clearcoat looks evenly applied.

The issues that I see come in where there is a graphic with a sharp line or near the edge of a piece. The stripes on the tank and the different sections on the side fairing were where this is most noticeable. I did my best to capture this on camera. I do remember assembling the side fairing and thinking how disappointed I was, but then once it was a full set rather than individual pieces, I was much happier. For me, looking over each piece individually seeking out imperfections makes the entire set seem poorly done, but when I took a step back and realized that no one does that, I was okay. The only thing that I can honestly say that I was disappointed in where the bubbles around the decals. I'm emailing Monster about those now. That seems like something that should have been caught in QC. ill update with what they respond with. The section picked below is the only place I saw it.

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
FITMENT This seems to be the part that everyone has the most questions on, and rightfully so.

The fitment for me was better than expected in some pieces and way off in others. I had prepared for everything to be just a little off, but I was surprised that 80% of the bike fit together perfectly, and then 2-3 pieces seemed like they were miles off. I was most scared of the pieces directly under the headlights, but one of those two snapped right in with no issues. The other was one of the two pieces that couldn't get close at all. The brake lever side had to be help in with a zip tie because there was no way, even after taking off and repositioning that it was going to snap in. The other place I had issues was clutch lever side gas tank and side fairing fitment. I can pop those tab in and then walk away and hear them pop right back out. Same issue in that I took them off and repositioned several times, but no luck. So one side fairing fits perfectly along the gas tank but not at the nose, the other fits perfectly along the nose but is off at the tank

It was pleasantly surprised at the fitment of all the small pieces of the side fairings. All of those went together perfectly or very close. The front fairing/windscreen was also near perfect. I was scared how that would work out, but it came out nicely.

Some of the holes for rubber grommets where drilled just a bit too small, but that was an easy fix. This was most noticeable on the front fender. I was prepared to have to fight screw holes not lining up, but that simply didn't happen.

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
The bad:

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Wow that headlight fitment. HeroRR got monster fairings and the headlight fitment was better than my oem ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonda600 View Post
Wow that headlight fitment. HeroRR got monster fairings and the headlight fitment was better than my oem ones.

yeah, I know. his video was one of the major reasons I went with Monster. im not sure what else I can do there though. I have closed that gap a littler with a zip tie, but its miles off.

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
yeah, I know. his video was one of the major reasons I went with Monster. im not sure what else I can do there though. I have closed that gap a littler with a zip tie, but its miles off.

Heís was sponsored so they probably tried to make his perfect. If you email them they should send you new ones.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:19 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you sure you've got front cowling centered?

The cowlings should mate up better if the brackets are repositioned (maybe?)

I'd try adjusting the brackets (attached to frame) that the cowlings mount to.

do same with gas tank cover.......it may take some careful meaasurement to make sure everything is on the same centerline.....

HTH!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
Are you sure you've got front cowling centered?

The cowlings should mate up better if the brackets are repositioned (maybe?)

I'd try adjusting the brackets (attached to frame) that the cowlings mount to.

do same with gas tank cover.......it may take some careful meaasurement to make sure everything is on the same centerline.....

HTH!
the front cowl is about as perfect as I think it'll get, I anticipated that area under the nose being an issue, so I was as careful as possible about getting it straight. I judged its squareness based off the gap around the headlights and the windscreen, and based off those factors, its about as even as it'll get.

I will include that pic in the email to monster and see what they say...

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
update: reached out to Monster and they are sending a new bellypan after I showed the pics.

as for the fitment, I asked them about that too and I really didn't expect much of a response. they suggested the same thing I thought, which is just take everything off and pop it all back on. ill try the this weekend and see what happens.

I'll have finished pics of everything soon, its just been non stop rain and work for a bit now....

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in