Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

2017 ECU Flash w/Stock Everything

5K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Wazoo 
#1 ·
Winter is knocking, and I'm thinking of doing an ECU Flash. Below is a list of options for a Flash for my bike.
Custom Ignition Timing Maps
Adjust RPM Limiters
Adjust Idle RPM
Adjust Fan Temperature
Disable Stock O2 Sensor
Disable Fuel Cut
Disable PAIR Valve
Disable Exhaust Valve
Disable Knock Sensor
Disable Steering Damper

For a fully stock bike (mine is), (I think) there are only a few that apply.
Custom Ignition Timing Maps
Adjust RPM Limiters
Adjust Idle RPM
Adjust Fan Temperature
Disable Fuel Cut
Of these, I'm interested in Custom Ignition timing maps, and disable fuel cut (and maybe adjust rpm limiters)
Can you guys comment on each of these.
For the Custum ignition timing mapping, since it's all stock, I figure they probably have a good map for it. Any idea what I could expect? For the "disable fuel cut" feature. I ride this bike both street and track. Would that make the bike "coast" a bit rather than instant decel once I'm off the accelerater? Would there still be some engine breaking, or could this feature be just as easily named "disable engine breaking"? Anyone got this feature and wish they hadn't?
This is the "pitch" I got back from Bauce when I inquired:
"With adjusting the ignition mapping, and disabling the decel injector cut, the bike will be a LOT smoother on/off throttle. And with the revised ignition mapping it will surely make more power too. It's well worth it even on a stock motorcycle.* We will custom tailor the flash to the stock setup so we'll make sure you get all the right settings and options."
Thanks for your advise!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I'm really not sure how effective engine braking control will be just with fuel. It's usually done with the throttles.

Engine braking is vacuum, so while there may be slightly less by idling the engine instead of shutting off the fuel, im not so sure it'll be a huge difference.

Raising the redline isn't likely to help with stock ports and cams. It just increases engine stress and I doubt you'd see much gain in HP.

There's no reason to change the idle.

A touch of spark advance may make the bike snappier, but these bikes have knock sensors so I'm not sure that the timing is too late in stock form anyway.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for feed back Wibbly. I'm still new at sport bikes and don't really know how engine breaking works, but I know on this bike it works really well...probably too good! Just looking to ease off on the INSTANT slow down if I'm not ON the accelerator. Is this something the removal of "decel injector cut" option will help with? If not, what do you think the removal of this feature will do?
I'm not really looking for any more HP, but if the timing gets retarded as you approach WOT, I'm all for getting rid of that.
Basically looking to smooth out the jerkiness when getting off the throttle, more like coasting down rather than engine breaking down. The only thing that concerns me is when I'm on the track (about 3-4X a year), I DO like the hard engine breaking.

#7 · (Edited)
off throttle fuel cut is for economy. all it does it shut off the injectors when you close the throttle. this makes it snatchier when you pick the throttle back up again because you're starting the fueling from scratch again.

i don't suspect it will have much effect on engine braking since the actual engine braking is a function of vacuum behind the throttle plates. it may reduce it slightly, but all the bikes with adjustable engine brake have fly by wire throttles so they just keep the throttle slightly open (sort of equivalent of a really high idle)

you can try it for sure, but i'm not so sure it'll be a huge difference.

with respect to the timing, maybe on the 13+ they do pull timing? i'm not sure. the 09-12 did and people worked around it with either an ECU or a bazaaz z-bomb.

can't speak for the 13+ here so many there's something in it.

#8 ·
subscribing as I am in the almost exactly the same situation.

There is a very well known local guy that does this, on the dyno.

I am also planning on some velocity stacks, so I can pull all the way to redline(If I ever take it above 11500)

I would STRONGLY suggest against disabling the knock sensor, UNLESS YOU ARE ON RACE GAS ONLY! I come from a long time tuning high revving turbo cars, and instead of fixing problems making the engines knock, people would disable the sensor, and sooner or later boom/rattle/smoke... Of course these are not turbocharged, so its less critical, but I've seen long term ping/knock damage and its not pretty. I run premium fuel to keep knock in control and the knock sensor from having a hissy fit. Its cheap, as the tanks are pretty small.

#11 ·
Got the flash done at Bauce Racing. Quick turnaround, mailed out Nov 26, rec'd back Dec 2nd.
For everything stock, below is what they recommended/installed:
· Disabled decel cut

· Fan temps lowered 205/195

· Ignition mapping changes to reduce engine braking and on/off throttle smoothing

· Fuel mapping modified for stock exhaust setup

Won't be able to provide feedback on it until Spring. Basically hoping to reduce the jerkyness of the on/off the throttle. We'll see.

#12 ·
Got the flash done at Bauce Racing. Quick turnaround, mailed out Nov 26, rec'd back Dec 2nd.
For everything stock, below is what they recommended/installed:
· Disabled decel cut

· Fan temps lowered 205/195

· Ignition mapping changes to reduce engine braking and on/off throttle smoothing

· Fuel mapping modified for stock exhaust setup

Won't be able to provide feedback on it until Spring. Basically hoping to reduce the jerkyness of the on/off the throttle. We'll see.
How much did it end up being? I see $200 was discussed, just wondering if that’s actually what they charged since they said it “started” at $200 on their site.

#16 ·
I took the bike out for 40 miles today to get a feel for the ECU Flash. A gigantic difference for the better! When I let off the throttle, the engine rpm's pretty much stay where they're at initially, then feather down over a few seconds, or instantly if I brake. Allows you to "coast" rather than the rapid engine decel I had with stock. Much smoother when on and off the throttle. I'm going to have to re-learn how to track it again. The off throttle decel was so significant that I only had to use the brakes in the hardest corners. I think I'll be using them much more frequently now!

#17 ·
Update: After more seat time with the flash, I found that I can't really slow down by simply rolling off the throttle. This proves to be unacceptable as it forces me to constantly use the breaks. I talked with Anthony @ BAUCE and he said that if I didn't like that, he'd have to re-enable the "decel fuel cut". So that's what he did. So the same level of engine breaking is back now, but (I think) it's not as jerky on and off the throttle. It was nice up at speed and cruising, but with a lot of shifting and speed changes (think twisties, track, or even stop and go in town), I really missed having the ability to slow the bike down by simply rolling off the throttle. Sent it back last Friday, got it back Thursday. Test rode Friday, put on a couple hundred today. Much better. Good service. Bottom line, for me the "disable decel fuel cut" was a negative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.