Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Removing and reinstalling clutch and alternator cover.

128K views 245 replies 113 participants last post by  trblsom 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my write-up on how to remove and reinstall the clutch and alternator cover. This is how I did it and everything worked out great. Just remember to take your time and be patient.

* Before trying to remove you clutch or alternator cover you need to remove your mid and lower fairings. Id also suggest draining your oil.

---- REMOVING CLUTCH COVER -----

-First disconnect the clutch cable from the clutch lever. One way to do this, is to turn the bolt circled in red clockwise so that it it goes all the way to the end of the threads, do the same to the bolt circled in green so that the whole clutch cable gets pushed to the left. This way you should be able to get enough slack to pull the clutch cable out and off the clutch lever.

-Now remove all 14 9mm Botls holding on the clutch cover. The two on the bottom right hold the coolant bracket to the cover, once removed you can push the coolant tank, back and away from the cover. The bolt near the top hods the bracket for the clutch cable. Once you remove this you can pull the clutch cable up and out of the way.

-Once you get all the bolts removed you need to break the seal of the liquid gasket holding the cover to the crankcase. Dont even bother messing with the clutch lever yet. To break the seal, it requires a little force. I propped a wood chip behind the small tab on the bottom right and gave it a few wacks with a hammer. The cover eventually popped free. You will know when it does because you will have a small gap, and you can then pop the rest of the edges free with your hands if they havent already.

-Once you got the cover free, you should now have a small gap bewteen the cover and the crankcase. This will allow you to work the cover completely off by manuevering the clutch lever. To do this, turn the clutch lever counter clockwise as you are pulling off the cover. It may take few tries but, once you do it right, the cover will come right off. Be careful you dont drop the wave washer and thrust washer into the crankcase as you are pulling the cover off.

-Now carefully pull out the clutch lever and washer and lay them to the side.

-I dont have a picture for this next step but it is self explanatory. When you remove the cover you have to disconnect the thing inside the bottom of the cover attached by two bolts. once you remove them your done!

---- REMOVING ALTERNATOR COVER -----

-First remove all 8 9mm Botls holding on the alternator cover. There is one on the middle right hidden under some tubes. Push the tubes to the side and hold them away using a piece of painters tape.

-Once you get all the bolts removed you need to break the seal of the liquid gasket, just like on the clutch cover. The alternator cover is a little harder to pop free since you are also fighting the pull of the magnet. Once you break the seal you should be able to get your fingers under the cover and pull it free from the magnet.

-With the cover off you will see a brain looking thing attached by 4 allen key bolts (circled in red). These guys are on there good so make sure you have a tool you can get some torque with. Once you remove these 4 bolts remove the bolt holding the bracket at the top (circled in blue). Pull the cover away from the brain looking thing and your done!

----- REINSTALLING CLUTCH COVER -----

Resinstalling the clutch cover is a little more tricky, but not too hard. It is pretty much the install in reverse, but Ill run through how I did it.

-First make sure that you have cleaned the back edge of the clutch cover where the liquid gasket will go, as well as where it will make contact on the crankcase. Now, apply a small coat of Hondabonda HT on the back edge of the cover. I used my finger and smeared on an even coat and then ran across the edges with a paper towel to remove any extra.

-Now reinsert clutch lever along with spring thing and washer. Then reattach the thing at the bottom right with the two bolts.

-Once you have done this, insert the pin dowel back into the starter gear in the crankcase, then the wave washer and then the thrust washer. After this, make sure you have all the remaining dowels placed into the clutch cover.

-Carefully reinstall cover. Once you get the clutch cover on, turn the clutch lever CLOCKWISE while carefully pushing in and it will pull the cover into place. Replace all 14 bolts and, not forgeting to attach coolant bracket and clutch cable bracket. Reattach clutch cable to clutch lever and your done!

----- REINSTALLING ALTERNATOR COVER -----

-Apply Hondabond just like you would on the clutch cover

-Reattach brain thing with four allen bolts and attach bracket with the one bolt.

-Insert pin dowels into cover and carefully place cover back on bike. The magnet will pull the cover on.

-Replace all 8 bolts, not forgeting to attached the fairing stay on the bottom left. And your done!

----------------------

I hope this writeup was helpful. If you think I wrote out simple common sense things too much, im sorry. Didnt want to leave anything out!

JMO

See less See more
#2 ·
Your the man! this is the best quide i've seen to date. You should really consider making even more guides.

Mods please sticky this.

#5 ·
This is the BESTEST guide I have ever seen on this forum. Thank you very much you. You sir are greatly appreciated. This thread should get Five starred and STickied under maintenance or modification.

Reactions: dixon cider
G
#9 ·
Excellent post! Someone say sticky? It's how-to's like this that make this place so informative. Nice work JMO!

I just had to go through all of this and it is a PITA. Make sure you keep track of all the dowels.

If you don't have Hondabond HT you can use Permatex ultra black.

#35 ·
i dunno.. when i started to take mine off w/o doing the oil drain.. oil instantly started to come out of the alternator as soon as i broke the seal and started to pry the cover off... i had to keep it on and then drain the oil... and my bike WAS on a stand when i was doing this so i think your best bet is to drain the oil.

#15 ·
I highly, highly recommend buying a socket with an allen bolt on the end to get the generator (brain thing) off. Otherwise you could end up stripping the bolt heads like I did :banghead: You can get a single socket (I think it's the 5mm one) for $5 or so from Sears, or get a set of 6 (5mm to 10mm) from Home Depot. You should also clean the bolts heads with brake cleaner or something else to remove the oil, as this could cause the allen wrench/socket to slip.

#19 ·
i'm thinking about doing this but still alittle nervous yet. What happens if u don't install everything back correctly? is there any kind of timing issues u have to worry about when reinstalling. will the clutch cable work normally once u screw everything back together?

I'm Nervous! :confused3

#20 · (Edited)
i'm thinking about doing this but still alittle nervous yet. What happens if u don't install everything back correctly? is there any kind of timing issues u have to worry about when reinstalling. will the clutch cable work normally once u screw everything back together?

I'm Nervous! :confused3
I was nervous when I first did it, and I had nothing to go by other than some vague advise. Thats why I made this write up. Its really not that hard, it will all make sense once you start taking the covers off. You dont have to worry about any timing issues. As for the clutch cable, you have to adjust the bolts at the bottom again,...since as I showed in the write up you to move them to the right to get enough slack to disconnect the clutch cable. Once you reinstall everything just move the nuts back into the position the way they were before and all should be good.

#21 · (Edited)
so how clean exactly do the edges of the covers have be before reapply the new liquid gasket? I've got pieces of the old liquid gasket that just won't scrap off. How much of a problem could that be?

Edit: I also just noticed in the service manual it doesn't even mention anything about cleaning off the old gasket. :confused1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.