Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Moto GP 2016 Round 7 Catalunya ***SPOILER***

4K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  CHINO52405 
#1 · (Edited)
Was terrible seeing Vale's engine die at Mugello :( He will be looking to come back!! That being said Marc and Jorge are always strong here....

About the circuit
In 1989, through the joint collaboration of the Catalan Autonomous Government, the Montmeló Town Council and the Royal Automobile Club of Catalunya (RACC), work began on giving one of Europe’s most beautiful cities a state of the art race track to match. The Circuit de Catalunya opened on the doorstep of Barcelona in September 1991 and welcomed its first international event that same month, hosting the Spanish F1 Grand Prix. It went on to host the European Motorcycle Grand Prix and in 1995 became home to the Gran Premio de Catalunya. Considered to be one of the best designed circuits of the recent era, the Circuito de Catalunya won the much coveted IRTA ‘Best Grand Prix’ trophy for 2001 and has a general admission capacity of 104,000 spectators.

2015 Podium:
JL,VR,DP

Circuit Records:
Fastest Lap 2015 Aleix ESPARGARO 1'40.546
Circuit Record 2014 Marc MARQUEZ 1'42.18
Best Pole 2015 Aleix ESPARGARO 1'40.546
Top Speed 2015 Marc MARQUEZ Speed 347.1

Current Points:
Pos. Rider Bike Nation Points
1 Jorge LORENZO Yamaha SPA 115
2 Marc MARQUEZ Honda SPA 105
3 Valentino ROSSI Yamaha ITA 78
4 Dani PEDROSA Honda SPA 66
5 Maverick VIÑALES Suzuki SPA 59
6 Aleix ESPARGARO Suzuki SPA 49
7 Pol ESPARGARO Yamaha SPA 48
8 Hector BARBERA Ducati SPA 43
9 Andrea IANNONE Ducati ITA 41
10 Eugene LAVERTY Ducati IRL 36
11 Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati ITA 34
12 Bradley SMITH Yamaha GBR 29
13 Stefan BRADL Aprilia GER 25
14 Alvaro BAUTISTA Aprilia SPA 21
15 Michele PIRRO Ducati ITA 18
16 Danilo PETRUCCI Ducati ITA 17
17 Scott REDDING Ducati GBR 16
18 Tito RABAT Honda SPA 11
19 Cal CRUTCHLOW Honda GBR 10
20 Loris BAZ Ducati FRA 8
21 Yonny HERNANDEZ Ducati COL 3
22 Jack MILLER Honda AUS 2

See less See more
#2 ·
Schedule all times are Eastern Time
Press Conf Thurs June 2 11am

FP1/2 Fri June 3

0300-0340 Moto 3 FP1
0355-0440 Moto GP FP1
0455-0540 Moto 2 FP1
0710-0750 Moto 3 FP2
0805-0850 Moto GP FP2
0905-0950 Moto 2 FP2

FP3/4Practice/Qual , Sat June 4

0300-0340 Moto 3 FP3
0355-0440 Moto GP FP3
0455-0540 Moto 2 FP3
0635-0715 Moto 3 QP
0730-0800 Moto GP FP4
0810-0825 Moto GP Q1
0835-0850 Moto GP Q2
0905-0950 Moto 2 QP

Sun June 5 RACE

0240-0300 Moto 3 WUP
0310-0330 Moto 2 WUP
0340-0400 Moto GP WUP
0500 Moto 3 RACE
0620 Moto 2 RACE
0800 Moto GP RACE

#3 ·
wow, first Danilo now Tito, these guys are all freakn warriors!!!
MotoGP Catalunya: Injured Rabat will try to ride 31 May 2016
"I will be giving my all to be on track in my home Grand Prix" - Tito Rabat.

Tito Rabat will try to ride in this weekend's Catalunya MotoGP round, just two weeks after fracturing his collarbone at Mugello.

The Marc VDS rookie was ruled out of the Italian event after the Saturday practice fall and his participation in front of his home fans in Barcelona remains subject to medical clearance.

Rabat needed a titanium plate and eight titanium screws to stabilise the damaged collarbone, following the accident.

“Firstly, I want to say a big thanks to all the medical team and circuit staff at Mugello and my team for all the attention I received after my crash,” Rabat said. “Their quick reaction was very important in giving me a chance to ride in my home race this weekend.

“The operation in Barcelona last week went very well and Doctors Mir and Marlet as always did a great job. I have been fully concentrated on recovering as well as I possibly can, and I will be giving my all to be on track in my home Grand Prix.

“The target is to be as close to full strength as I can be and work closely with my team and Honda to try and make another step. I felt we'd made another small step before my crash in Mugello and that was good.

“I will try to finish the race and improve my feeling with the bike. If we can do that I think it will be a successful weekend.”

Team-mate Jack Miller made the start of the Mugello race, but didn't get beyond turn one after being caught up in Alvaro Bautista's accident. The Australian hasn't scored points since the Qatar season opener, but claimed the best result of his rookie 2015 MotoGP campaign with an 11th place at the Catalunya last season.

“The race didn't finish like we wanted in Mugello but I've got to take the positives out of a bad situation and I definitely think we found some improvement with my race pace in Italy,” Miller said. “I can't dwell too much on Mugello and I've got to forget about that and be fully concentrated on bouncing back with a strong performance in Barcelona. I'm really looking forward to this weekend.

“My European base is not too far away from Barcelona in Andorra, so it is like a second home race for me. I really like the track and it seems to suit the Honda as well, and last year I had my best result in MotoGP, so that also gives me confidence.”

#4 ·
Press Conf today:
2017 announcements continued to flow ahead of the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya while other riders question their futures.
News was breaking before riders had even sat down for the press conference for the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) announced he would be remaining with Honda for another two years, continuing their fruitful relationship. “Like I always say, my heart is in Honda and it was the best option and the best feeling,” he said during the press conference. It was another big day for announcements as Pol Espargaro (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) revealed he would be joining the new KTM project for the 2017 and 2018 seasons alongside current teammate Bradley Smith. A new bike is a significant challenge, but the Spaniard plans to take it step by step: “This MotoGP war isn’t easy, but first we have to finish this year with Tech 3 and go to Suzuka to try and win again. Then the new project comes.”

Marquez and Espargaro weren’t the only riders in the press conference as Italian GP winner and home rider Jorge Lorenzo (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) was also present along with teammate Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP). Aleix Espargaro (Team Suzuki Ecstar) was there alongside his brother, both growing up just a few kilometres from the track in the town of Granollers. Andrea Iannone (Ducati Team) was also present after his strong recovery to third in Italy.

Lorenzo arrives as the man of the moment, but knows a number of challengers lurk in the shadows: “This year is the most close the championship has been for a long time. Four bikes, four factories with clear options to win races. I don’t think we’ve seen this in the last 20 years even. A lot of riders with very competitive pace.” After a difficult pre-season, Marquez was quite surprised to arrive in Barcelona as Lorenzo’s closest rival: “Before the start of the season it was really difficult and our target was to arrive here in Montmelo maybe 25 points behind him but we arrive only ten, so happy with this.”

Rossi on Yamaha engine issues

Third in the championship, Rossi arrives in Barcelona looking to make up ground lost in Mugello. It was revealed his engine issue was caused by issues with the rev limiter: “In motorsport it’s always like this, it’s always electrical or a part that’s just a dollar! In Mugello with the hill and the jump at the end of the straight, a lot of RPM, it looks like the rev limiter isn’t precise like last year and with the small jump on the hill maybe the RPM goes too high and breaks the engine. It was a great shame. I hope it doesn’t happen again!” he reflected, his attention already on round seven.

The Espargaro brothers had quite contrasting press conferences, Aleix Espargaro not hopeful of his future within Team Suzuki Ecstar: “Last weekend was quite difficult for me, I realised I wasn’t as important in Suzuki as I think. In Mugello we started to think to maybe move to another team. We’re still thinking because I’m not sure I will continue in Suzuki, I will try to go somewhere they really love me and really want me.” Meanwhile his younger brother Pol Espargaro was beaming to have his future with KTM set in stone: “Right now they are building everything, the team, the mechanics and even the bike. I’m looking forward to going there and seeing how they work. Where they go they win and we will try to repeat what they’re doing in Moto3.”

Much of the attention was focused on the other riders in the press conference, Iannone flying under the radar while quietly confident about the weekend: “Now this is a new weekend in Barcelona and I like this track a lot, in the past I won 125 and Moto2 races. I think we have the possibility to fight for the top in all the races, this is the priority.”

#5 ·
Aleix's comments are interesting. Where can he go? All the factory rides, except Aprilia and Suzuki are full. Tech 3? A satellite Ducati? I just can't see him voluntarily leaving Suzuki, not when it's just starting to become truly competitive. He's right, though, he's not number 1 at Suzuki. However, where would he be number 1?

#7 ·
Luis Salom passes away

Luis Salom was involved in a crash at Turn 12 in Barcelona during Moto2™ Free Practice 2.

Following an incident during today’s Moto2™ Free Practice 2 at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, it is with great sadness that we have to report the passing of Luis Salom (SAG Team).

The session was red flagged with just under 25 minutes remaining after the Spanish rider fell at Turn 12.

Two medical cars and then two ambulances were immediately on scene to treat the 24-year-old and the medical helicopter was also deployed to assist in his treatment.

Due the severity of his condition, the decision was taken to transfer Salom by road to the nearby Hospital General de Catalunya. On arrival, he underwent surgery, but despite the best efforts of the trauma team, he passed away at 16:55pm local time.

Salom made his World Championship debut at Jerez in 2009 in the 125cc category. He finished on the podium in 25 races, including nine victories in the Moto3™ World Championship. He finished the 2012 Moto3™ World Championship in second position in the standings and a year later was third overall after battling with Maverick Viñales and Alex Rins down to the final round in Valencia.

He also finished on the podium three times in 41 appearances in the Moto2™ World Championship, including a second place pace in the opening round of 2016 at the Losail International Circuit in Qatar.

The FIM, Dorna, IRTA, RFME and the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya wishes to pass on its condolences to the family, friends and team of Salom.

Remember and pay tribute to Luis Salom with the hashtag #Mexicano39

#8 ·
Yes sooo sooo very sad to hear :( brings back memories of Sic passing, just terrible to hear this today..... I saw the crash (on youtube) he lost the front into turn 12 prob high speed, bike skids into air curtain fast, he was right behind it --- hit bike at high speed :(

#9 ·
MotoGP Catalunya: Luis Salom 1991 – 2016

The grand prix paddock is in a state of shock after the tragic news of Luis Salom's passing on Friday evening after a serious incident at turn twelve in the second free practice session for the Moto2 class in Montmeló, Spain.

Aged 24, Salom had been competing in his third season in the intermediate category with SAG Racing, with whom he scored a surprise podium in the first race of 2016 in Qatar.

The incident is a tragic end to what was an eventful and all-too-brief career, in which the Spaniard amassed a total of nine grand prix wins and came within a race of winning the 2013 Moto3 world championship.

It is also the first fatality at a MotoGP event since Marco Simoncelli's untimely passing in October, 2011.

Hailing from Palma de Mallorca, Salom came from a bike mad family that owned a Yamaha dealership, and began riding a PW50 at just two years of age. Older brother David was also a respected competitor in the World Superbike championship.

After making his way through local championships, Salom first competed in the national C.E.V. series in 2007, along with the Red Bull Rookies Cup.
He then made his world championship debut in the 125cc class in 2009, a year after narrowly missing out on the Red Bull Rookies championship.

Replacing Simone Corsi from the seventh round of that year in the Jack & Jones Aprilia outfit, Salom was soon up to speed, finishing sixth at Donington Park in just his third race for the team.

A debut grand prix podium arrived two years later at Assen when competing with the RW Racing GP team, but 2012 was the year when the Majorcan really began to display his full potential.

Aboard a KTM housed in a Kalex frame, Salom amassed eight podiums and two victories – the first of which came after a thrilling last lap scrap in Indianapolis – on his way to second in the inaugural Moto3 world championship.

Those performances earned the up-and-coming Spaniard a place in Aki Ajo's Red Bull KTM squad for 2013, in what turned out to be his most successful year of racing. Salom was leading the championship by five points going into the penultimate round of the year, after a string of podiums and seven race wins.

An unfortunate first lap collision with Isaac Viñales in Motegi dented those hopes, and he ultimately lost out at the final round in Valencia when he crashed while fighting for the lead.

Disappointment at losing out was however tempered by his promotion to the Moto2 class with Sito Pons' Pagina Amarillas team the following year, with ex-Moto3 sparring partner Maverick Viñales as team-mate - a just reward for his impressive title tilt.

The move showed immediate promise too, with Salom taking podiums in his third and sixth races in the class. Although 2015 proved to be more difficult, Salom demonstrated he was still a force to be reckoned with by storming to a surprise podium in the first Moto2 encounter of this season.

We extend out deepest condolences to the friends and family of Luis Salom.

#14 · (Edited)
They've actually announced that they will be using the F1 layout for the remainder of the weekend.

http://www.***********/en/news/2016/06/03/catalan-gp-to-run-with-revised-layout-and-schedule/202736

Luis had a typical slide through the runoff area after going down, but never made it to the air fence as the bike hit the air fence first and bounced back hitting Luis in the chest. Actually quite shocking how "uneventful" the accident seemed.

Very very sad.

EDIT: apparently the site auto strips any mention of MotoGP . com, but here's the info for the weekend schedule.

Catalan GP to run with revised layout and schedule
As agreed with Salom's family, the riders, teams and the Safety Commission,the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya will go ahead.

In a Safety Commission meeting attended by Marc Marquez, Andrea Iannone, Pol Espargaro, Jack Miller, Bradley Smith, Alvaro Bautista, Aleix Espargaro, Andrea Dovizioso, Tito Rabat and Cal Crutchlow, it was agreed to change the configuration of the Barcelona-Catalunya Circuit to race for the remainder of the event on the F1 track configuration.

This layout was tested two years ago in an official MotoGP™ Test - back then this configuration wasn't elected for use in Grand Prix racing.

As riders will have to deal with a new track configuration, practice time will be extended with a new schedule for Saturday.

Updated schedule:

Saturday

08:40-09:35 - 55 min. - Moto3™ Free Practice 3

09:50-10:50 - 60 min. - MotoGP™ Free Practice 3

11:05-12:05 - 60 min. - Moto2™ Free Practice 3

12:35-13:15 - 40 min. - Moto3™ Qualifying

13:30-14:00 - 30 min. - MotoGP™ Free Practice 4

14:10-14:25 - 15 min. - MotoGP™ Qualifying 1

14:35-14:50 - 15 min. - MotoGP™ Qualifying 2

15:05-15:50 - 45 min. - Moto2™ Qualifying

Sunday

08:40-09:00 - 20 min. - Moto3™ Warm Up

09:10-09:30 - 20 min. - Moto2™ Warm Up

09:40-10:00 - 20 min. - MotoGP™ Warm Up

11:00 - Moto3™ Race (22 laps)

12:20 - Moto2™ Race (23 laps)

14:00 - MotoGP™ Race (25 laps)

#15 ·
Press Release Medical Info on his death :(
FIM Press Release: Medical Team Report on Luis Salom
Submitted by Press Release on Fri, 2016-06-03 20:27
The FIM issued the following press release containing a statement from the FIM MotoGP medical team:

FIM MotoGP World Championship Medical Team Report

Today, the Medical Team from the FIM MotoGP World Championship and the Medical Team of the Circuit Barcelona-Catalunya reached the scene of an incident involving Spanish Moto2 rider Luis Salom at turn 12 during the second practice session for Moto2 at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

Upon arrival, the rider was in cardiac arrest. Considering the severity of his condition, the MotoGP World Championship medical team proceeded with securing the airways through orotracheal intubation and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) at trackside.

He was then secured with a neck brace and medical staff then introduced two intravenous lines and proceeded with chest compressions.

From arriving at the scene, it was quickly established that Salom was asystolic (in cardiac arrest). He was then administered with medications to cardiopulmonary and hemodynamically stabilise him.

CPR continued at the trackside for18 minutes, but taking into consideration Salom’s life threatening condition, a decision was taken to transport him by road in an ambulance.

Treatment continued for an additional 40 minutes during the ambulance transfer, but oxygen saturation deteriorated.

Medical staff proceeded with bilateral needle thoracostomy with air and blood aspiration. During the transfer they pre-alerted the Hospital General de Catalunya informing its ICU team about the evolution of Salom’s condition.

Salom arrived at the Hospital General de Catalunya at 1610 and he was immediately moved to the emergency ward where CPR continued from the medical team on site.

Once in the Hospital General de Catalunya, Salom was moved to theatre to undergo an explorative laparotomy from the surgical team.

The patient was declared deceased at 1655. Both the ground evacuation procedure, transport to the Hospital General de Catalunya, and the reception at the hospital was of the highest standard.

Dr. Angel Charte

MotoGP Medical Director

#19 ·
Loris Baz is absent following foot injuries at Mugello and is replaced by Ducati test rider Michele Pirro.

Tito Rabat is returning to action after fracturing his left collarbone in Italy. The Spaniard - like team-mate Jack Miller, Hector Barbera and Danilo Petrucci - walked away from a fall in FP1...
FP1 Results:
1. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 42.065s [Lap 14/18] 338km/h (Top Speed)
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 42.143s +0.078s [5/15] 337km/h
3. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 42.536s +0.471s [16/19] 337km/h
4. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 42.709s +0.644s [14/16] 335km/h
5. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 42.767s +0.702s [14/17] 338km/h
6. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 42.865s +0.800s [14/18] 343km/h
7. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 42.886s +0.821s [9/17] 339km/h
8. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 42.926s +0.861s [13/14] 339km/h
9. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 42.994s +0.929s [4/18] 333km/h
10. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 43.162s +1.097s [13/14] 335km/h
11. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 43.180s +1.115s [15/18] 331km/h
12. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 43.202s +1.137s [4/14] 338km/h
13. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 43.214s +1.149s [4/16] 339km/h
14. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 43.309s +1.244s [5/18] 338km/h
15. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 43.322s +1.257s [18/18] 335km/h
16. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 43.470s +1.405s [19/20] 332km/h
17. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 43.783s +1.718s [7/15] 336km/h
18. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 43.825s +1.760s [15/16] 336km/h
19. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 44.009s +1.944s [5/18] 332km/h
20. Michele Pirro ITA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 44.262s +2.197s [15/16] 331km/h
21. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 45.122s +3.057s [6/18] 330km/h

FP2 Results:

Jorge Lorenzo moves ahead of morning pace setter Maverick Vinales to lead FP2 at their home Catalunya MotoGP.

Pol Espargaro, Alvaro Bautista (who fell) and Bradley Smith were the only riders not to improve their lap time this afternoon.

Loris Baz is absent following foot injuries at Mugello and is replaced by Ducati test rider Michele Pirro. Tito Rabat is returning to action after fracturing his left collarbone in Italy...

1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 41.712s [Lap 14/17] 336km/h (Top Speed)
2. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 41.954s +0.242s [11/16] 337km/h
3. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 42.011s +0.299s [16/19] 334km/h
4. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 42.196s +0.484s [17/18] 339km/h
5. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 42.282s +0.570s [16/17] 340km/h
6. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 42.296s +0.584s [18/19] 335km/h
7. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 42.308s +0.596s [16/17] 339km/h
8. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 42.461s +0.749s [17/18] 340km/h
9. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 42.485s +0.773s [3/16] 338km/h
10. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 42.490s +0.778s [11/17] 341km/h
11. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 42.516s +0.804s [18/19] 335km/h
12. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 42.539s +0.827s [15/16] 333km/h
13. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 42.830s +1.118s [18/20] 338km/h
14. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 42.870s +1.158s [16/17] 338km/h
15. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 43.017s +1.305s [14/17] 336km/h
16. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 43.292s +1.580s [17/18] 331km/h
17. Michele Pirro ITA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 43.461s +1.749s [14/17] 329km/h
18. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 43.502s +1.790s [17/19] 335km/h
19. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 43.621s +1.909s [14/15] 337km/h
20. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 43.648s +1.936s [16/17] 330km/h
21. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 44.171s +2.459s [17/20] 334km/h

#21 ·
Catalan GP to run with revised layout and schedule
As agreed with Salom's family, the riders, teams and the Safety Commission,the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya will go ahead.
Tags MotoGP, 2016, GRAN PREMI MONSTER ENERGY DE CATALUNYA
In a Safety Commission meeting attended by Marc Marquez, Andrea Iannone, Pol Espargaro, Jack Miller, Bradley Smith, Alvaro Bautista, Aleix Espargaro, Andrea Dovizioso, Tito Rabat and Cal Crutchlow, it was agreed to change the configuration of the Barcelona-Catalunya Circuit to race for the remainder of the event on the F1 track configuration.

This layout was tested two years ago in an official MotoGP™ Test - back then this configuration wasn't elected for use in Grand Prix racing.

As riders will have to deal with a new track configuration, practice time will be extended with a new schedule for Saturday.

Updated schedule:

Saturday

08:40-09:35 - 55 min. - Moto3™ Free Practice 3

09:50-10:50 - 60 min. - MotoGP™ Free Practice 3

11:05-12:05 - 60 min. - Moto2™ Free Practice 3

12:35-13:15 - 40 min. - Moto3™ Qualifying

13:30-14:00 - 30 min. - MotoGP™ Free Practice 4

14:10-14:25 - 15 min. - MotoGP™ Qualifying 1

14:35-14:50 - 15 min. - MotoGP™ Qualifying 2

15:05-15:50 - 45 min. - Moto2™ Qualifying

Sunday

08:40-09:00 - 20 min. - Moto3™ Warm Up

09:10-09:30 - 20 min. - Moto2™ Warm Up

09:40-10:00 - 20 min. - MotoGP™ Warm Up

11:00 - Moto3™ Race (22 laps)

12:20 - Moto2™ Race (23 laps)

14:00 - MotoGP™ Race (25 laps)

#22 ·
OLD times for tomorrow (EST) on the left, New updated Times on Right
FP3/4Practice/Qual , Sat June 4

0300-0340 Moto 3 FP3 0240-0335
0355-0440 Moto GP FP3 0350-0450
0455-0540 Moto 2 FP3 0505-0605
0635-0715 Moto 3 QP 0635-0715
0730-0800 Moto GP FP4
0810-0825 Moto GP Q1
0835-0850 Moto GP Q2
0905-0950 Moto 2 QP

#25 ·
FP3 Results:
Because of the new track layout, only this morning's lap times were used to decided the top ten riders to be given direct access to Qualifying 2 this afternoon...

1. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 44.727s [Lap 21/22] 341km/h (Top Speed)
2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 44.847s +0.120s [17/21] 341km/h
3. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 44.951s +0.224s [21/21] 346km/h
4. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 45.071s +0.344s [23/23] 341km/h
5. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 45.193s +0.466s [18/21] 339km/h
6. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 45.287s +0.560s [20/20] 341km/h
7. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 45.305s +0.578s [19/23] 343km/h
8. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 45.321s +0.594s [22/23] 342km/h
9. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 45.344s +0.617s [22/22] 337km/h
10. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 45.517s +0.790s [20/24] 347km/h

11. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 45.543s +0.816s [23/24] 343km/h
12. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 45.602s +0.875s [19/21] 346km/h
13. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 45.734s +1.007s [18/20] 334km/h
14. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 46.018s +1.291s [21/21] 337km/h
15. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 46.051s +1.324s [22/22] 339km/h
16. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 46.343s +1.616s [19/23] 338km/h
17. Michele Pirro ITA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 46.558s +1.831s [18/20] 337km/h
18. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 46.613s +1.886s [20/21] 337km/h
19. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 46.826s +2.099s [22/22] 338km/h
20. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 46.993s +2.266s [22/22] 335km/h
21. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 47.513s +2.786s [5/19] 337km/h

FP4 Results:
Honda one-two with Marc Marquez fastest from Cal Crutchlow. Ducatis improve significantly from this morning. Maverick Vinales consistently quick for Suzuki, while Yamaha are still losing out in the new 'F1' final sector.

Qualifying 1, for those outside the top ten after third free practice, will now get underway...

1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 45.194s [Lap 4/13] 338km/h (Top Speed)
2. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 45.604s +0.410s [10/12] 336km/h
3. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 45.727s +0.533s [4/14] 342km/h
4. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 45.813s +0.619s [9/14] 338km/h
5. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 45.819s +0.625s [4/14] 338km/h
6. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 45.901s +0.707s [3/12] 342km/h
7. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 45.992s +0.798s [10/14] 335km/h
8. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 46.249s +1.055s [8/14] 339km/h
9. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 46.345s +1.151s [4/13] 336km/h
10. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 46.689s +1.495s [3/9] 338km/h
11. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 46.849s +1.655s [5/12] 337km/h
12. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 47.106s +1.912s [4/15] 334km/h
13. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 47.170s +1.976s [7/12] 334km/h
14. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 47.253s +2.059s [10/13] 336km/h
15. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 47.308s +2.114s [4/14] 334km/h
16. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 47.406s +2.212s [10/11] 332km/h
17. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 47.436s +2.242s [13/14] 331km/h
18. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 47.479s +2.285s [6/12] 335km/h
19. Michele Pirro ITA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 47.601s +2.407s [6/11] 333km/h
20. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 48.014s +2.820s [8/10] 336km/h
21. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 48.198s +3.004s [6/12] 332km/h

#26 ·
Marc Marquez takes pole position for the Catalunya MotoGP round ahead of fellow home stars Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa.

Hector Barbera was towed to second place before being bumped to fourth, ahead of Valentino Rossi - who salvaged fifth on his final lap, having been down in tenth.

A revised track layout is in use following the tragic death of Luis Salom in Friday's Moto2 practice...

Qualifying 2:
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 43.589s [Lap 7/7] 338km/h (Top Speed)
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 44.056s +0.467s [6/7] 339km/h
3. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 44.307s +0.718s [7/7] 342km/h
4. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 44.322s +0.733s [4/5] 338km/h
5. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 44.324s +0.735s [7/7] 338km/h
6. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 44.329s +0.740s [7/7] 336km/h
7. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 44.366s +0.777s [6/6] 335km/h
8. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 44.458s +0.869s [6/7] 344km/h
9. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 44.911s +1.322s [5/6] 338km/h
10. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 45.029s +1.440s [6/6] 342km/h
11. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 45.030s +1.441s [6/7] 339km/h
12. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 45.218s +1.629s [6/7] 336km/h

Qualifying 1:
13. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 44.914s 333km/h
14. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 45.197s 336km/h
15. Michele Pirro ITA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 45.538s 336km/h
16. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 45.690s 341km/h
17. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 45.885s 337km/h
18. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 45.892s 335km/h
19. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 45.942s 336km/h
20. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 46.205s 333km/h
21. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 46.463s 334km/h

#27 ·
Marquez leads front row of local heroes
Marc Marquez continued to be the man to beat in Catalunya as he sprinted to his third pole of the 2016 season.

The sun continued to beat down as MotoGP™ World Championship bikes roared out of pit lane for Q2. With an air temperature of 25.5°C and a ground temperature of 42.5°C, conditions were ideal for the forthcoming battle for pole position at the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) quickly set the best time of the weekend, becoming the first rider to ever set a 1’43 lap around the new layout on a Grand Prix motorcycle.

Marquez: "We did a big improvement on the setup"

His lap wouldn’t be challenged until the final 30 seconds when the timing screens became a sea of red. Just as the flag came out Marquez recorded a 1’43.589, netting pole position as he ended 0.467s faster than his closest rival. The Repsol Honda man was the only rider under the 1’44 barrier to take his first pole position since Austin earlier in the year. Both of Marquez’s previous 2016 poles have converted into victories. This is also Marquez’s first MotoGP™ pole position at the Barcelona circuit, having never previously started higher than third in the premier class.

Lorenzo: "Our bike struggles in 1st gear corners"

Jorge Lorenzo (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) did well to produce a 1’44.056, unable to challenge Marquez’s time but a quarter of a second faster than third placed Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda Team). The Catalan GP sees Lorenzo out for his third straight victory of the 2016 season, arriving with a comfortable ten-point lead. Lorenzo has won the premier class edition of the Catalan GP on four previous occasions, most recently in 2015. Lorenzo did admit that he and Yamaha are struggling in the final sector, the heavy braking causing issues which need to be solved to stay with Marquez.

Pedrosa: "I made mistakes in my fast laps"

The Catalan GP is home to all three riders, making for a very special front row. Dani Pedrosa returns to the front row for the first time since the Valencia GP in 2015, having not started higher than fourth so far in 2016. This ends what had been Pedrosa’s longest run without a front row start since his rookie season in 2006. A 1’44.307 saw Pedrosa just able to hold onto the front row 0.015s ahead of fourth place.

Hector Barbera (Avintia Racing) was a surprise in fourth after advancing from the Q1 session. Not since the Italian GP in 2012 has Barbera started a MotoGP™ race inside the top six.

0.002s back on Barbera was Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) who had been unable to crack the top three since the new layout was introduced. Like Lorenzo he is having some difficulties with the new layout, the Yamaha preferring longer, faster corners as opposed to the more stop-start nature of the new course. Even in fifth, Rossi was only 0.017s off a front row start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.