Missing rear seat lock - 600RR.net
New Members New members MUST post in this section to introduce themselves to the RR family of ours. Failure to do so will prohibit posting in other forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Missing rear seat lock

This is the only thread I was able to post in for some reason. When I bought my bike I was informed that the rear seat lock was missing. My mechanic told me I would be able to replace it and he could make it work with my key, but I just ordered a intergrated taillight from TST that requires the removal of the rear seat and fairing for install. The seat is locked in place. Is there a way to remove the seat in this case. Again its 2008 model with factory rear seat. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:43 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASEME CBR600 View Post
This is the only thread I was able to post in for some reason. When I bought my bike I was informed that the rear seat lock was missing. My mechanic told me I would be able to replace it and he could make it work with my key, but I just ordered a intergrated taillight from TST that requires the removal of the rear seat and fairing for install. The seat is locked in place. Is there a way to remove the seat in this case. Again its 2008 model with factory rear seat. Thanks!
Welcome, Welcome!
Not sure I understand your situation. You say it didn't come with a rear seat lock, and then you say you can't unlock the rear seat?
You need to unlock the rear seat lock to get the rear fairing off. If you don't have the key, hire a locksmith and he can pick the lock for you, then he can probably make you a key.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wazoo For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (10-22-2018)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
Quote:
Welcome, Welcome!
Not sure I understand your situation. You say it didn't come with a rear seat lock, and then you say you can't unlock the rear seat?
You need to unlock the rear seat lock to get the rear fairing off. If you don't have the key, hire a locksmith and he can pick the lock for you, then he can probably make you a key.
I can add a picture for reference tomorrow, but essentially the lock itself is not in the hole but the seat will not come off as if the lever is connected. I've used a solid amount of force to try to get it off but not wanting to break it. Is it just popped on if the lock isnt there, meaning I just need to apply more pressure to get it off?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:54 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,027 Times in 839 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if the lock is gone but the seat is latched, you will not be able to remove the seat.

the only way you're going to get it open is to manually pull the latch with a picking tool. you may be able to do this by removing the rider's seat, then sliding something between the bodywork and the under tray.

you will have the best luck if you have another bike of your year to see how the mechanism is set up.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:46 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Had a similar issue with a friend's bike were the latch on the end of the lock cylinder came undone. We tried everything we could and actually managed to get a pick onto the release mechanism but could not get enough force on it to release the seat. Eventually we ended up just drilling a hole about 1 1/2 - 2 inches to the right of the lock and could get a screw driver onto it that way. You might have better luck with the lock cylnder not being there though, good luck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls599 View Post
Had a similar issue with a friend's bike were the latch on the end of the lock cylinder came undone. We tried everything we could and actually managed to get a pick onto the release mechanism but could not get enough force on it to release the seat. Eventually we ended up just drilling a hole about 1 1/2 - 2 inches to the right of the lock and could get a screw driver onto it that way. You might have better luck with the lock cylnder not being there though, good luck.
Adding a pic for reference. I should be able to pick the release mechanism?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_114211_1540224342173.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	200061  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:08 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,027 Times in 839 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you don't really have any other option
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (10-22-2018)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:28 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Adding a pic for reference. I should be able to pick the release mechanism?
With the lock gone like that you should be able to get a screwdriver in there to manually push the latch to the side. Push down on the seat to help take some of the tension off of it. If I remember correctly we pushed the latch to the left (while facing the back of the bike, so towards the throttle side).
The Following User Says Thank You to Smalls599 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (10-23-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in