Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Bike mechanic

2K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Keiran Chmiel 
#1 ·
I’m here to help anyone with questions or issues with your bike just ask and I’ll help you the best I can.

#4 ·
I'm having an issue that I hope you can help me with. I have an 05 cbr 600rr and when I start it, its starts fine but after a few minutes my instrument cluster will start flashing off and on and won't stop. When I shut the bike off and got to start it back up everything is dead nothing happens when I turn the key back on. But if I let it sit for a couple minutes then turn the key everything works and it starts back up then it goes through the whole process again. It also stays running while everything is flashing. I thought maybe the battery wasn't holding a charge so I replaced it but its still doing it. Please help

#5 ·
My issue is...I've been having a lot of foot peg vibrations and the feeling of chain slapping on the pegs and side foot rests. When you engage the clutch lever by just 1mm it disappears almost, the tank and seat vibrate too until you pull it in. I've replaced basket, bearing, guide, washers and springs to no avail. Chain is almost new and after correcting slack it's still there. Use to be smooth above 7k revs but not anymore

#10 ·
John shoemaker

Check the fuses under the left mid fairing it’s a black box about twice the size of a pack of cigarettes, it’s labeled pull fuses out and reseat them. Second check that the cluster is fully connected, it’s a pain to get behind the cluster but iv seen them come loose or have damaged wires. Reseating the fuses even if it checks good can help with corroded connections.

#12 ·
I'm going to check a 07 600rr tomorrow and if it looks good buy it. Any tips for what to look for besides the regular stuff, something I can gloss over if I don't know to look for it?

Also any tips to know if the fork lifts are blown or leaking, will it just be sticky to touch, should good fork just feel metal with no lubrication or any fluids on it?
Also any tips on how to know if valves have been adjusted?

I'm gonna check all the cosmetic stuff, cold start, listen to how it sounds, test ride to see how it reacts, short one but hopefully get some ideas.

#14 ·
Keiran

For me to better help you I need to know exactly what’s done to the bike or installed or is it completely stock and never tampered with ? Reason I’m asking there’s a few things that cause vibration. The two biggest issues 90% of people have is after messing with the clutch or doing it their self with little knowledge or aftermarket headers don’t have the vibration reducing grommet like the factory ones have aftermarket just bolts up to the frame underneath making every engine rev or noise vibrate through the frame you can even feel it in the bars it makes that much of a difference, whatever the issue is I have a fix for it iv seen just about everything. I even fixed my severe vibration issue that stumped me for a month.

#21 ·
For me to better help you I need to know exactly what’s done to the bike or installed or is it completely stock and never tampered with ? Reason I’m asking there’s a few things that cause vibration. The two biggest issues 90% of people have is after messing with the clutch or doing it their self with little knowledge or aftermarket headers don’t have the vibration reducing grommet like the factory ones have aftermarket just bolts up to the frame underneath making every engine rev or noise vibrate through the frame you can even feel it in the bars it makes that much of a difference, whatever the issue is I have a fix for it iv seen just about everything. I even fixed my severe vibration issue that stumped me for a month.

As said above I think it's coming from clutch area that I can feel through the bike and something is making it vibrate and feel bad. You can definately feel the vibration/grind with clutch lever out, pulled in its better when still there slightly.
I know people say there a little noisy etc but obviously this bike was super smooth so I know it's an issue rather than a factory annoyance. When your at speed and you feather the throttle it's almost like a wobble vibration if you get me lol until you pull the throttle and it smoothes out but not completely.
When it acts this way changing gear doesn't feel good, clunky and bangy but at times (rare times) it will go almost smooth again and shifting is more pleasant and downshifting is fabulous lol ...then after 5 mins it just feels horrible again lol

#15 ·
Keiran chmeil

Another question has the bike been recently dropped even just a kick stand fall ? Iv seen engine mount brackets crack where the bolt slides in. The more info you give me the better I can understand what may be causing it. Any mods ? Any recent clutch work ? Any recent chain adjustments or new tires installed ? The rear tire bolts are about 80flbs give or take on the axel nut. An air tq gun normally puts out 400flbs and if it was cracked down that tight you could have damaged wheel bearings or slightly pinched swing arm from extreme over tightening both of these also cause vibration

#28 ·
Another question has the bike been recently dropped even just a kick stand fall ? Iv seen engine mount brackets crack where the bolt slides in. The more info you give me the better I can understand what may be causing it. Any mods ? Any recent clutch work ? Any recent chain adjustments or new tires installed ? The rear tire bolts are about 80flbs give or take on the axel nut. An air tq gun normally puts out 400flbs and if it was cracked down that tight you could have damaged wheel bearings or slightly pinched swing arm from extreme over tightening both of these also cause vibration

I've just ordered judder springs and front bearing to eliminate these. Whilst changing I will inspect inner basket and measurements of plates...this would mean everything clutch side is pretty much new but the source of the vibration does seem to be coming from that area

#16 ·
It's never been dropped it's very clean.
I've had the vibration since I've had it. Clutch basket, sp rings, roller bearing, spacers and guide and made no difference. Tures are new and aligned and no different from last set. Chain and sprockets replaced WHICH got rid of the chain slapping feeling on right peg although some of the feeling can sometimes be noticed.
I would say it's clutch area due to pulling in the clutch even by 1mm will reduce all vibration but it's still there. I've noticed that the clutch lever on the casing vibrates quite a bit and I believe that's what I can feel through the bike. It's worse when you feather the throttle, pull clutch in by 1mm and it will reduce, also going through the revs doesn't feel smooth....I've also noticed that sometimes giving it a little stick in a few years can sometimes result in the vibrations getting less and been smoother. When it runs smoother the gears go in a lot smoother aswell instead of clunking and banging on accel and decell

#18 · (Edited)
Chriscook; Sorry for hijack....

Kieran C, here's some advice....FWIW, you've got a dynamic vibration going on, you need to either have a good bike tech ride it and see if he can ID source.....Or take that bike to a dyno and have an experienced mechanic give it a few runs.

You've spent a lot of time/effort and $$$ on this, a dyno run will cost, but it's probably the most effective way forward....

#20 ·
I've just bought a power commander because I do believe it needs it so inevitably...It will see the dyno soon.
I've noticed that the vibration seems to be from the clutch lever on top of the casing, and I believe the vibration is coming off clutch area and I can feel it through out the bike when off and feathering throttle..suppose I'll have to wait and see whether they pick anything up on the dyno

#22 ·
Hello new to the forum. I have a question on a 2009 cbr600rr. the bike was in a accident mainly plastic. wont turn over I get a single click when trying to start it. I tried rolling it over in 6th gear and it was rough doing but was able to. I pulled the plugs to check for damage and they looked fine. I then tried to turn it over without the plugs in and it worked fine. I put them back in and it did the same thing single click. I bypassed the solenoid just to test if it was something with the starter. not sure if there is a valve locked up on it? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I did spray some wd40 into each cylinder just in case the bike got water in it. I changed the oil as well did not see any metal shavings in it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.