White fumes and leak from exhaust - 600RR.net
New Members New members MUST post in this section to introduce themselves to the RR family of ours. Failure to do so will prohibit posting in other forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White fumes and leak from exhaust

Hi,

New guy here. Was wondering if you guys had any input on this please.
I have not used the bike for over 2 years. *accident, around 30mph*. Initially the bike would not start, so i changed the fuel, flushed the coolant and the oil completely. Now i am seeing this white fume after 2-3 min of startup out of the exhaust. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_165553_1565712311138.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	201467 also there is a leak of browish colour from the exhaust point Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_165413_1565712397845.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	201469.
When i changed the oil it was of a milky colour. So the greatest sense of failure, i seek your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Any visible engine damage?

It would seem as if you've got a head gasket leak.....

Compression test of each cylinder w/b next work to verify/isolate problem.

Warning......I'm not a real OR good bike mechanic.....wait for the more knowledgeable to reply...may take a day or two...

Last edited by tary preisser; Yesterday at 12:52 PM. Reason: add truth
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the quick reply. There seems to be a leak coming off the O rings jointClick image for larger version

Name:	20190813_180652_1565716435955.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	201471. I was foolishly so confident that i have ordered new fairing and headlight, as when I started the bike a year ago, there were no leaks whatsoever and it was a first time start. FML.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 03:19 PM
Moto GP Racer

Why does the exhaust get enough liquid to the point of dripping out?

Pretty milky oil....

Is coolant level dropping? do you have oil in your Radiator or coolant overflow reservoir?

Did the bike run tipped over ? (it should not have)

White smoke as engine warms could be a coolant leak.

Compression test?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:49 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsan View Post
Hi,

New guy here. Was wondering if you guys had any input on this please.
I have not used the bike for over 2 years. *accident, around 30mph*. Initially the bike would not start, so i changed the fuel, flushed the coolant and the oil completely. Now i am seeing this white fume after 2-3 min of startup out of the exhaust. Attachment 201467 also there is a leak of browish colour from the exhaust point Attachment 201469.
When i changed the oil it was of a milky colour. So the greatest sense of failure, i seek your advice.
Hi vsan,

Just a quick question how cold is it in you area as if this was a cold start then it is normal to see some sort of white smoke coming from the exhaust especially on a cold start it is just normal condensation buildup inside the exhaust system (a simple good run would clear it up). However I would also advise checking your coolant level and engine oil for creaming. As these are a good sign of a blown head gasket.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Unread Today, 07:01 AM
World Superbike Racer

Everything you described at the surface looks and seems very normal for a bike sitting for a few years that wasn’t properly stored or maintained in that time. The white smoke is probably moisture in the muffler as is the dripping from the pipe connection and guess what, the milky oil are also signs of moisture.

Questions starting since you have gotten it running: How long have you run it at full operating temperature? How long have you ridden it at full temp? How many times have you started it, let it idle a bit and not let it fully warm up? When it was sitting, was there any way rain or water could get into the exhaust pipe? Was it covered, in a garage or enclosure?

Check all of your fluids, air up your tires then go for a 20 minute plus RIDE, not idle, RIDE to get it all very warm and circulate the fluids in it. Come back and check things, then report back.

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in