Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Intermittent starting! ANNOYING!

918 views 35 replies 4 participants last post by  tary preisser 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 CBR600RR - it started sputtering during acceleration and different high RPMs lately. Thought it could be battery connection etc and just had the engine replaced with new plugs. I fueled it up with more gas thinking some water got in the tank and it started behaving a little better - rode to the next county up and chilled at the beach, went to start the bike. Just cranked and cranked and cranked, no turn over or fire up. Ripped it apart in the parking lot - all grounds, relays, connections and fuses good. Nothing. Dropped it off at my buddy’s shop., he said he dumped all the fuel out and it started - rode it back to work, rode it home - changed the oil in my truck, went to start the bike - NOTHING AGAIN’!!! Started ripping it apart, dumped all the fuel out of the tank again, added LUCAS fuel treatment- didn’t start .. gave up.. woke up next morning- fired right up - put everything back together -

Rode it to church today, no sputter or anything - felt fine- thought I finally got water out - got out of worship.. won’t start - WTF IS GOING ON!!!

Bad coils!?? Do coils act intermittent like that ? Is there still water in there somewhere settling after I ride that messes this thing up!!! I’m frustrated as I keep getting stranded

#2 ·
when it doesn't start does it do its usual starting sequence?

you need to be attentive to what the bike is doing if you want to know what's wrong with it.

when it doesn't start, does the fuel pump prime when you key on? does the FI indicator show up on the dash?

pay attention to your bike, it has indicators in place to tell you when things are good to go

#3 ·
Yes, sorry- key on, gauges and rpm needle do their thing, run switch on, pump primes normally, the fuel pump is good- pushing 55 psi - and low and behold.. the bike started up again after I walked around the church and made some calls and went back to give it one more go- it started right up but sputtered pretty bad at first on way home - idk what else it could be other than water ??? The sputtering went away after a couple miles - maybe I just need to throw more additive and high octane in there and let it idle in the driveway or stay close to home and run a couple tanks through it???

#5 ·
I’m new to being a member on this forum and the navigation isn’t user friendly right away - my bad -

How didn’t I answer your question? Then idk what you mean my normal starting sequence. - power on- everything normal, run switch on, pump primes and everything normal- just when I go to start, it doesn’t run - just cranks and cranks (idk what terminology is used ) it cranks but won’t start - it won’t turn over, fire up or whatever is used to describe it -

#8 ·
nowhere in your original post do you describe the normal starting sequence. 99% of no starts posted on this group are because the FI system isn't powering up consistently. shame on me for thinking you're probably in the 99% right?! shame on me.

if everything primes and is ready to go, hold the throttle wide open and see if it sputters. you may have a leaking injector(s) and the engine is flooding. holding the throttle wide open shuts the injectors off. chances are you're just flooding it over and over.

is there a power commander fitted? if it's a PC3 with the buttons on it, plug in your laptop and reset button values.

i'm more than happy to not help you at alll honestly. i don't owe you anything, but you can rest assured there's nobody else on this website who will give you any time at all. so consider that.

#9 ·
You asked me what happens when it doesn’t start - I described it - relax with your ego plz- I posted on here because it’s sunday and I don’t want to bother my other rocket mechanics - I’m a jet mechanic bro, I know my jets and their systems like you know bikes - I’m not familiar with it all just yet man- I didn’t know things like a WOT shuts off injectors during start or how that works -

Nobody owes anybody anything on here lol we are here to help out fellow riders in hopes they can solve things themselves or with help from here -

Anyway - next time it doesn’t start, I’ll WOT and see what that does - I don’t have a power commander fitted..

#10 ·
well when you've spent 5 years answering hundreds of these exact threads you can tell me to relax. this forum is literally never ending pages of these exact posts.

if you want help you need to give as much info as possible. your original post never once mentioned pump priming, efi indication, or anything of the sort. your bike will crank forever and ever without the ecu so much as powered up, and that's typically the problem in no-starts.

#11 ·
It hesitated on start up, did a WOT start up and it started up with no hesitation- I really appreciate your help- it’s epic..

So, into my next step in fixing the issue- is there a way to see if my injector(s) are leaking or dumping too much fuel ?? Should I replace all injectors or could it possibly be something else faulty? Once again, I appreciate it- What you’re doing on here is what I do on airframe and powerplant (A&P) forums for mechanics who can’t fix avionics or mechanical issues on aircraft and there’s wayyyy more to it than bikes lol-

#14 ·
You're looking for fuel when there shouldn't be any

If there is no fuel in the cylinders and you do the WOT thing of course it's not going to start. It's only for unflooding an engine. Not for generally starting one.

Leaky injectors aren't going to cause a problem in 2 minutes.

#17 ·
This type of intermittency makes me feel it’s electrical or something I’m not sure - things are untouched other than the movement of a ride but even just sitting there- it’ll go back to not starting.. can bad coils be this intermittent if bad at all? Can I try push starting it or spraying starter fluid in air box - idk what that would do- or just drop the thing off at a shop the next time it starts and let one of my guys diagnose everything and have a big bill but no more headaches -

#21 ·
then you need to be looking at all your connectors. if the pump primes then all systems are go, if they aren't going then you have a wiring issue.

get a wire brush and a tube of dielectric grease. have fun.

edit, it's worth having a peak at the crank and cam position sensors as the bike needs those inputs to fire. intermittent crank signals can cause rough operating as well.

#24 · (Edited)
the crank position sensor is in the right side cover, you can literally see the wire for it coming out of the cover. near the crank shaft.

the cam position sensor is on the head on the left side of the bike, (near the cams, go figure)

you're going to have to put some sweat equity into this one dude. you're a ******* jet mechanic after all. what's a little motorcycle.

#25 ·
Lol touché - I’m just studying for my next rating to become an inspector and work 12 hours 6 days a week and this bike is a mad max nightmare at points - just becoming a time-water

it DID fire back up, rpms are a bit jumpy and rode it around my neighborhood cul-de-sac area and it was jumpy.. plus, aircraft MM’s are extremely specific and much better than this type of troubleshooting -

#35 ·
I do not ? - other than that faulty cam sensor idk what else it could be .. it was left untouched over night and also in my church parking lot and then fired up- lol windy? Just happened find a better connection down there and was sputtering from just riding then get stuck in a better position .. no idea .. hard to find parts on hand anywhere so I ordered one in case my old engine doesn’t have it -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.