Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Is this a crack in my crank case?!?!?!

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  b-random92 
#1 ·
Just got done installing an APE cct and was moving the bike and got away from me and slowly tipped onto the right side frame slider. Went out for a ride and came back to notice oil around the cct and the valley of the crankcase. That's when I also saw what I think might be a hairline crack. It's kinda shaped like an L where the cover and case meet on the case side. Hopefuly y'all can see it in the pictures outlined it in the last picture. Kinda hard to get a decent shot.

Would really appreciate the help identifying if it is indeed a crack in the case or not. Maybe the oil could be coming from the cct EC814 gasket? Anyhttp://www.600rr.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=193218&thumb=1 input would be awesome. Pictures below

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
FightingChance - That's what im doing now, cleaning it up. I just know it there wasn't oil there before the ride and after the ride there was a build up. Kinda tuff to figure out where it might be coming from in my opinion since the possible crack is in the same area as the cct. Do you see the possible crack in my pictures?

#12 ·
It was not too much of a leak on mine. A couple of drops after 500 or so miles. I had also lubed the clutch cable, but it seemed like oil on the APE threads. I purchased the new gasket with my new tensioner. Glad you think you found the issue with no cracks in the block.

#11 ·
Yeah it was difficult to get the phone to focus correctly on the area I was tryin to show haha.

I followed a write up I believe is on here maybe on another 600rr forum. Pretty simple. Read to adjust while the bike is cold. Initially with the bike off tighten the cct finger tight. Start the bike, if you hear the chain rattle noise tighten until it goes away and then 1/4 turn more. Tighten the locking nut and ride. If you don't hear the noise back it out until you do and do what I just said. I revved mine to about 4-5krpms to listen if there is any rattle there or a whining type noise. If there is a whining type noise just back the bolt out a little and re lock the nut. I brought a wrench with me on my first ride just so I could adjust if I heard anything.

#13 · (Edited)
Cool...thanks for the details. You posting this thread made me change mine out, or rather I am going to change mine out; I just got the CCT in today. I went an OEM one...

After reading your thread I thought, " I better listen to mine and see if mine makes noise." I ride with earbuds in at all times, so I can't hear it from riding. However I "think" mine is making noise. I honestly can't tell if it just engine noise or the CCT, so I just decided to change it anyway just based on how old the bike is. I only have 14,000 though...

Riddle me this...what was your method you used to get that pain in the ass bolt off? The one on the inside where there looks to be no room. I haven't attempted it yet, but I have looked for minute. I almost think I may be able to come from further towards the rear of the bike with a socket and long extension, behind the frame, without having to go under the tank...? I'm just guessing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.