To change the oil or not to change the oil... - 600RR.net
Oil and Lube For discussion of engine oil and lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To change the oil or not to change the oil...

Hey boys and girls. A few weeks ago I got home and my oil cap was missing and there was oil sprayed on the right side of the bike. I got my new one today and I checked the oil level today and it's about 3/4 of the way to the top line.

My major concern is that someone messed with my bike. It was parked at work and then when I got home I noticed all the oil and that the cap was missing, so I think someone may have been touching it and loosened it or taken it. I'm not sure since my oil cap wasn't part of a pre-ride inspection. It's possible it was on there and loosened up and fell off on the way home. My major concern is that someone put something in the crank case. How likely would you say that is?

If not and I only ran the bike a couple miles without the oil case, I'm assuming a little top off and I'm good to go? I wouldn't need to change the oil just because of that would I?

Thanks in advanced :icon_lol:

Squid test:

So far, 13109 people (including you) have responded to this Squid Test Survey and have been tabulated.
Of those responses, the average grade is 53. Your grade was 82 (from 0 to 100)

A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a fairly responsible motorcyclist but a bit of a wise-ass.

Hahaha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:06 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
"My major concern is that someone put something in the crank case. How likely would you say that is?"

Do you know a person that really hates you, lol? I doubt that there is anything in there that should not be but it would not hurt to change it out. Then you would no. If a hard object was put in I am pretty sure that you would no right away. You probably just did not tighten down your oil cap and it came off. This happened to someone else on the forums a little while back so it is not unheard of.

White 07 CBR600rr
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i'd say top it off and continue til your next interval. i highly doubt anyone purposefully opened it up and put **** in it.

2004 Honda CBR600RR
-Spiegler SS lines f+r
-Woodcraft rearsets
-Woodcraft Clip-Ons
-GPR Steering Damper
-Vesrah RJL brake pads
-Elka 3-Way Shock
-CRG gold levers
-Leo Vince Full Exhaust
-PCIII
-green painted rims
-puig d-bubble screen
-Pro-impact Frame sliders
-EK MVXZ 520 green chain w/ Pit bull sprockets (-1/+1)
- .9 kg/mm constant-rate fork springs +re-valving
-Tanktredz

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanO View Post
Do you know a person that really hates you, lol?
Haha, not really. I'm pretty low on arch nemeses. I only ask because unfortunately I work at Cracker Barrel, which is red neck trailer trash stump **** inbred heaven, so there are bound to be tons of Harley fans and I know they harbor a good bit of hate.

Again I don't know somebody messed with it and I don't know if it was missing when I started the bike. It also could be the party I was at the night before... people were looking at the bike and one of them could have easily seen it and said "Hmm, I just gotta twist that" and when he did, maybe just didn't twist it back all the way.

Paranoid, I know, but my two greatest emotions are clashing right now.... paranoia and lazyness, haha. If they're even emotions...

Squid test:

So far, 13109 people (including you) have responded to this Squid Test Survey and have been tabulated.

A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a fairly responsible motorcyclist but a bit of a wise-ass.

Hahaha.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
An oil change is a cheap price to pay for peace of mind. You already know what you need to do.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Knightslugger

even if they did, it has to go through the oil pump strainer and the oil filter before it could do any real harm. if it was a liquid, like water, it would be boiled off in a matter of minutes.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Awesome. I was hoping you'd chime in KS.

I may change it anyway, just in case some sort of debris got in while the cap was off.

Now this is more a question for KS, but if anyone else has insight that'd be great too... I want to get an oil sample analyzed to try to establish a decent OCI. Would the cap being off for a few weeks do anything to throw off the results?

Squid test:

Hahaha.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:59 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
let me ask you a question:

would you rather have a condom and not need it?

or

need a condom and not have it?

when in doubt, change it. you can't do anything wrong by changing it

Honda 600RR RED (Julia)
"Ambition is just a poor excuse for people to not have enough sense to be lazy..."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkofdoom2 View Post
Awesome. I was hoping you'd chime in KS.

I may change it anyway, just in case some sort of debris got in while the cap was off.

Now this is more a question for KS, but if anyone else has insight that'd be great too... I want to get an oil sample analyzed to try to establish a decent OCI. Would the cap being off for a few weeks do anything to throw off the results?
you'd probably end up with an elevated silicates level, which might throw off some of the other results such as Al and Fe levels, but the Viscosity index, flash point, and PH levels should be unaffected.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Okay. I'll probably change the oil and wait til next time before getting an oil analysis. I know it probably doesn't need to be done, but I'd be kicking myself in the ass if something kills my bike just because I forewent a $25 oil change. Thanks for all the input.

Squid test:

Hahaha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page