royal purple? - Page 2 - 600RR.net
Oil and Lube For discussion of engine oil and lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lol yea i have a 68 mustang and a 94 mustang that is my drag car i think i have been turning wrenches more than any of u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ok lan co rider what type of car do u drive i bet it is like a neon or something on those lines
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

i called honda today and they told me to follow what the owners manual said 8k or 12 months on oil changes

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
put 8k miles on that oil and then have it tested here, then you will know for sure if your oil can go that long. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd94stang View Post
ok lan co rider what type of car do u drive i bet it is like a neon or something on those lines

I have a vespa and a karman ghia

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:41 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
lol yea i have a 68 mustang and a 94 mustang that is my drag car i think i have been turning wrenches more than any of u
Then why do you need to ask a noob question about oil? Or call honda to find out about a oil change?
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:05 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
lmfao!! this is too funny

even funnier that people are starting to talk about work on cars, just because someone wrenches on there car more then another person doesnt mean your any better at understanding how something works at a molecular level

and being a drag guy you should already know all the bullshit oil companys spew and should understand that when you spend the 12 bucks on the royal purple instead of the 5 on castrol gtx, your just paying for the color additives and the marketing prices

i have yet to see any real hard evidence that shows that any kind of synthetic or "fancy" oil is any better then the regular dino ****

my buddy and my engine builder/tuner whos been working in the buisness for over 30 years even told me hes seen no differences in wear patterns

and he can spot an engine thats run with and without premix

oh and before we play the what do you drive/work on game i own 2 of these:

one is an 87 beater, the other above is a 94, and i do this kind of work on my spare time:

cheers :)
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I love seeing these oil threads. Anyway you don't wanna take everyone's advice? umm ok good luck buddy. This was covered to DEATH everywhere from cars to bikes and they all have a similar result. Oil protects your engine and in the case of our 600rrs your tranny shares the oil with your engine. You a want super simple explanation as oil breakdowns it protects less. Oil breaks down faster the more you beat on the vehicle. You want the best bang for your buck on oil SEARCH there are a million independent tests on this. Don't forget your oil filter is just as important. To put it in perspective I use Amsoil with an over sized mobil 1 filter. Lastly for yourself check your oil window your oil should be gold (except royal purple), if it's black then it's contaminated and breaking down simple as that. Wanna keep riding with that oil ummm ok go ahead I'm not gonna argue with you. The facts are everywhere use the info as you like. Also I guess I have a good butt cuz as the oil breaks down so does performance and my "butt dyno" feels it. When I feel the power lose sure as $h!T I look down and see I've riden 1,500 to 2,000 since my last oil change. Might be me being crazy but who knows. In conclusion change your oil when every the hell you want and with whatever oil you want. The tests on oil and oil filters are all over the net use the info to your advantage or don't. I don't care. Good luck.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

^^+1 i usually go about 1500 to 2k miles as well just because the bike feels like its just not right. i would rather splurge on $15 oil and save my $8000 bike. i have also heard a couple people mention royal purple messed up their motorcycle engines. just get amsoil or mobil1. its a safe bet that plenty of racers and track goers use. As far as 8k miles go, thats just retarded.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
mxrider i looked at the link you had then thought about looking into amsoil here is what they say about it -Amsoil guarantees their Signature Series Oil in normal service – up to 35,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first in vehicles that are currently under factory warranty as well as vehicles that are no longer under warranty. would u let ur car go 35k miles on one oil change ....no because the manual says 3k or 5k i dont believe much that comes out of oil companies mouths who i do believe is the engineers that make my engine who say 8k for oil changes
It is UP TO 35K and is not Gauranteed in every vehicle... Besides that, it is confusing the issue even more on a MOtorcycle site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
RP oil won't hurt the motor....if it has hurt a motor.....it wouldn't be on the shelves...everyone has their favorite oil and they will try to persuade you to use their brand....any kind of synthetic oil for motorcycles is good to use...
So, we can use the same analogy for Fram filters then? They are on the shelf so they won't hurt the engine . I know of engines where the cardboard came apart in the Fram and clogged the oil passages thereby starving the engine for oil and seizing it. I have also seen Fram filters with holes in the media almost the diameter of a pencil. Another just recently where the media was not crimped properly allowing unfiltered oil to flow through the engine.

Not that I am disagreeing with you about RP even though it is a Crap oil, just the analogy used.

Quote:
i called honda today and they told me to follow what the owners manual said 8k or 12 months on oil changes
Honda or Honda Dealer ? Big difference. Also, if it was Mother Honda, they should specify that those are not the Severe Service limits. Severe Service limits, which should be followed in all situations, according to the API, is 50% of what is listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast7 View Post
and being a drag guy you should already know all the bullshit oil companys spew and should understand that when you spend the 12 bucks on the royal purple instead of the 5 on castrol gtx, your just paying for the color additives and the marketing prices

i have yet to see any real hard evidence that shows that any kind of synthetic or "fancy" oil is any better then the regular dino ****

my buddy and my engine builder/tuner whos been working in the buisness for over 30 years even told me hes seen no differences in wear patterns

and he can spot an engine thats run with and without premix
Paying for color additives and marketing ? Although RP is not a great oil, there is a lot more to it than color and marketing. The Ester base stocks are quite expensive.

No evidence ? There are reports abounding about synthetic oils and their use. Corvette, Viper, Prowler, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and other OEMS recommend Synthetic oils and in fact, some require synthetic oil to maintain the warranty or an extremely shortened drain interval must be used.

Warranties on engines, transmissions and rear diffs have been extended due to synthetic oils.

353,000 miles may not be a lot, but let's see you do that on 25,000-35,000 mile drain intervals. My work van has. Over 220,000 on the EAO 4D tranny and still shifting solid as a rock even after towing heavy loads in OD. Oh crap, I forgot, I was running a Non-recommended fluid.. LOL

How about a Chevy work van with over 920,000 miles on it ? All on 35,000 drain intervals..

Let's see you do that on a petroleum.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I have a headache from mustang's posts that are missing any form of punctuation.

While we aren't writing supreme court rulings here this type of crap without any break in the sentences whether its about how many miles on a drag car or what a certain oil does in a certain car

GIVES ME A HEADACHE even more than posting something thats in other threads already.
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRider View Post
Used oil analysis on Honda GN4 oil in a 600RR shows its pretty much dead after 2200 miles. 8000 miles is laughable IMO. Also, Royal Purple gets out performed in oil tests by a lot of cheaper oils. Mobil 1 4T for instance is about half the price at many major retail chains, and does much better than RP.

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/produ...engine-oil.htm

Thats an AMSOIL website!! of coarse the bogus data sheets are going to say that it better than everything else! do you think they would post something if it out performed there own product that they were trying to sell to sheep that rely on fake slanted data. all the high dollar oils are going to perform about the same. i personally use royal purple in everything but i have friends who are amsoil loyalists and those that are mobile 1 loyalists. just pick on that you can afford. and also when it comes to how often you need to change the oil, it depends on how the car is driven and the typ of oil used.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:58 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_kent View Post
Thats an AMSOIL website!! of coarse the bogus data sheets are going to say that it better than everything else! do you think they would post something if it out performed there own product that they were trying to sell to sheep that rely on fake slanted data. all the high dollar oils are going to perform about the same. i personally use royal purple in everything but i have friends who are amsoil loyalists and those that are mobile 1 loyalists. just pick on that you can afford. and also when it comes to how often you need to change the oil, it depends on how the car is driven and the typ of oil used.
Here we go...AGAIN....

Someone that does not understand what they are talking about... AND, that is NOT the AMSOIL website.

If the tests were false, AMSOIL and the test facilities would have been sued.

The M/C oil White Paper is done in accordance to ASTM Test procedures. These tests would have the same results no matter if you did them or the test facilities. Unlike the tests formerly seen on TV and at fairs with the guy scoring a bearing which, isn't even an oil test.

Several of the Top Testing Facilities in the US were the ones that did these tests and at least one is a Non-Profit Organization. They are highly known as the Best of the Best, used by Military, Commercial and Industrial clients. They could not afford to skew the tests and lose their reputations.

As far as mileage change interval.

The 8000 miles is under ideal conditions. The API states that over 97% of driving is considered Severe and change intervals should be cut by 50%. Now take a Sportbike and consider the average punishment they get, the oil change interval should be cut back even further in most cases.

The GN4 has been tested and it really is not a bad oil for being a blend.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Training Wheel Hero

[QUOTE=Amsoil Dealer Group;3225677]Here we go...AGAIN....

Someone that does not understand what they are talking about... AND, that is NOT the AMSOIL website.

If the tests were false, AMSOIL and the test facilities would have been sued.

The M/C oil White Paper is done in accordance to ASTM Test procedures. These tests would have the same results no matter if you did them or the test facilities. Unlike the tests formerly seen on TV and at fairs with the guy scoring a bearing which, isn't even an oil test.

Several of the Top Testing Facilities in the US were the ones that did these tests and at least one is a Non-Profit Organization. They are highly known as the Best of the Best, used by Military, Commercial and Industrial clients. They could not afford to skew the tests and lose their reputations.

As far as mileage change interval.

The 8000 miles is under ideal conditions. The API states that over 97% of driving is considered Severe and change intervals should be cut by 50%. Now take a Sportbike and consider the average punishment they get, the oil change interval should be cut back even further in most cases.

The GN4 has been tested and it really is not a bad oil for being a blend.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob[/]

Says the amzoil dealer group haha.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I'm amazed to see RP bashing. Growing up at tracks and having ties to various forms of racing and motor sports, I have never heard anyone suggest Royal Purple as being sub par. If anything RP was the standard and the only product used. Engine, tranny, and diffs were all filled with RP.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Hahaha.

I've given Bob a lot of crap in the past but what he said in post #40 is good info.

Here's my misgivings about 'Royal Purple' - oil is actually pretty high tech in its research, development, production and deployment. From what I can find on the internet, Royal Purple has about 500 employees and is headquartered in Texas.

Compare that with Shell, better known as Royal Dutch Shell plc and "is the fifth-largest company in the world (and the second-largest energy company)".

How much research and development do you think Shell does? How many tens of millions (hundreds of millions? Billions?) of dollars of R&D into energy and oil do you think Shell spends?

How much does Royal Purple spend? Honestly, given their usage and mission, which company stands to have the better oil?

RP exists from a time when mechanics had secret knowledge of the way machines worked and held onto the myth of the garage-genius gearhead. I'd buy Amsoil all day long over RP.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Shell does not spend Millions or Billions on research for oil. A few hundred thousand maybe. What no-one considers is that they have stockholders to pay and the size of the company does not mean they are the best at what they do.

If it did, why was AMSOIL the First API Rated Synthetic? A few guys basically working out of a garage developed an oil before the big companies? Mobil 1 didn't come out until 2 years after AMSOIL and almost destroyed the whole synthetic market. At one point, they copied almost word for word the back of the AMSOIL can and had an inferior product.

Today, M-1 is a decent product. The M/C oils are 100% synthetic but as close as you can come in the automotive line is M-1 Extended Performance which is about 30% PAO Based. The rest is Hydro-Cracked oil and additives.

Now. Will Royal Purple cause your engine to grenade? Of course not. But the protection offered wanes quite quickly as RP shears out of grade in the First sequence of a 3 sequence API Test. Where is the protection at?

Shell... Does have a M/C oil but is not offered here in the US. Many people use Rotella and it is a good oil. There are just way better oils on the market ESPECIALLY for a M/C application. And, although Rotella does have a self imposed MA Rating, it lends people to believe that ALL diesel oils can be used in a M/C when this is the farthest from the truth.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
...the size of the company does not mean they are the best at what they do.
Technically true, but it's a really good indicator... you don't get to advertise on the side of a Ferrari formula 1 car because you make bad oil!
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Technically true, but it's a really good indicator... you don't get to advertise on the side of a Ferrari formula 1 car because you make bad oil!
As I said, you will not suffer a catostrophic failure using RP. There are just WAY better oils out there.

Now... Please don't tell me that you believe every race car uses the Sponsors products.

Roush Racings Valvoline car, or any of their others, ever saw Valvoline in them.

The Pennzoil Indy Special when driven by Bobby Unser for sure never had Pennzoil and it was owned by Pennzoil, not just a sponsor.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page