Oil change intervals when racing or attending trackdays - 600RR.net
Oil and Lube For discussion of engine oil and lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
August 2015 BOTM Winner / Domo

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Oil change intervals when racing or attending trackdays

Hey all,

As per post how frequently should one change their oil when tracking or racing? Please post in miles or kilometers and or amount of days

if your not falling you're not tryin hard enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I usually do 2 days or a race weekend (practice and 2 days of racing) with synthetic. Thats extremely conservative. I hear of people doing 3 or 4 track days. With all of the other expenses, whats another $20 for a gallon of oil to make sure the bike will be fine up in the 12-15k rpm range. Is saving that oil worth a damaged engine? I usually take an oil filter through 3 changes though (6 track days).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
3 days. oil and filter. every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Knee Dragger

Each 2 or 3-day track weekend the oil gets changed on my bikes. With the high-rpm's being very normal when racing or doing track days, the shearing affect of the parts begins to rear its ugly head and before you know it, your oil could be toast. $20 for an oil change or $$$$ for a burnt out crank bearing - your choice.

Damian
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Knee Dragger

Just curious, but I'd like to ask a slightly different question.... How often should I change MY oil, doing maybe 3 or 4 track days a summer, but commuting on my bike 10 months a year?

Life's too short. Have fun.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Training Wheel Hero

cbrkp/cbr steve:
you should be changing your oil between 2500 and 3500 mls on the street. you should be changing your oil after about every 2-3 trackdays. i think a normal trackday will yield around 200-250 miles, so thats around 500-750 mls per oil change w trackday conditions. so based on that, lets just say that trackday miles breakdown your oil approximately 5X's faster... so just multiply the number of miles you did at the track by 5 and that will get you in the ballpark for approximate street miles conversion.

ie... you have fresh oil and filter in the bike(0 street miles) and you do a trackday(250 miles) that would be approximately equivalent to 1250 street miles(250 miles x 5) so you now have approximately 1250 to 2250 miles of street riding before your next oil/filter change.

this is all really an approximation. the best recommendation would be to change your oil as often as you can afford within those specs.... so for example if i did a trackday then i would lean towards only running about 1250 miles on the street rather than stretching it out to the 2250 mile mark.

keep in mind oils of today, especially the synthetic oils, are absolutely phenomenal. in reality they can handle a lot more abuse than we put at them. You could push oil changes out to 5,000 miles and i still believe the oil would retain its lubrication capabilities. we add that safety factor in there to give us a good buffer zone, bc of the tight tolerances, wet clutch, shearing forces of the transmission, and high rpm that these motors turn. if you know the bikes will need an oil change at 3,000 miles most people wont get around to it until around 3,500 or 4,000 miles so you plan earlier maintenance to compensate.

If you are running a combination of street and track I would highly recommend a full synthetic oil, personally I use nothing but Amsoil for myself and my customers.

the only way to really tell would be to take a sample of oil that has 3000 miles on the street and compare it to a sample that did 250 track miles + 1750 street miles.(which through my little conversion theory, should yield about the same amount of breakdown)

a lot of racers use these guys to do oil analysis for them:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

this would be a really cool test!

Last edited by FastrnU; 01-02-2012 at 09:43 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Training Wheel Hero

good info above, my rule of thumb if Im asking should I change my oil then yes I change my oil. Its not that expensive in the scheme of things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page