Oil Change - Page 2 - 600RR.net
Oil and Lube For discussion of engine oil and lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Honda Civic 1.8 is maintained according to the manufactures instructions, and by those, oil changes are every 15 500 miles (25 000 km). The car now has 77 600 miles (125 000 km) and had no problems at all - no oil loss between changes and no engine problems. All oil changes have been made with Castrol Magnatec C3 5W-40.

My previous car, Renault Megane 1.6 had scheduled oil changes every 18 600 miles (30 000 km) and when I sold it with 100 000 miles (160 000 km) on the clock he had none previous engine problems. Oil used then was Elf 5W-40.

Our motorcycle has oils changes scheduled, as I earlier wrote, every 8 000 miles, or 1 year. That is a lot less than any car (more than double), which is ok because of the higher revs, but 3 000 miles is just not necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 AM
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forget It

Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed View Post
My Honda Civic 1.8 is maintained according to the manufactures instructions, and by those, oil changes are every 15 500 miles (25 000 km). The car now has 77 600 miles (125 000 km) and had no problems at all - no oil loss between changes and no engine problems. All oil changes have been made with Castrol Magnatec C3 5W-40.

My previous car, Renault Megane 1.6 had scheduled oil changes every 18 600 miles (30 000 km) and when I sold it with 100 000 miles (160 000 km) on the clock he had none previous engine problems. Oil used then was Elf 5W-40.

Our motorcycle has oils changes scheduled, as I earlier wrote, every 8 000 miles, or 1 year. That is a lot less than any car (more than double), which is ok because of the higher revs, but 3 000 miles is just not necessary.
The duramax diesel we have at work (07 Chevy silverado 3500) runs 15w40 full synthetic Mobil 1 and it only needs an oil change every 15k miles. But just wanted to say that this is possible, running it for 15k on a car. Also fram sells an oil filter that's good for. 10k miles now

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

03 600RR, 07 Jeep Wrangler Sahara & 14 Subaru WRX
(Lapeer,
MI)

September 2012 BOTM Winner

My Build
UPDATE: P. 42 (ALL MODS INSTALLED)
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 12:33 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

the oil in a car, and motorcycle, are very different things.

they have a different job to do in each of these two kinds of vehicles.

if you run a synthetic in your bike thats great, if you change it every 10k miles or something thats not so great and youre really pushing your luck unless you never run it beyond halfway into the rpm range.

3k is not necessary. thats really babying your bike. most ppl are in the 4k-6k range and thats perfectly reasonable IF you use expensive high quality stuff.

but.. the truth about a short oil change interval is that the kind of person who can not afford to change the oil every 3k miles is the kind of person who should not have a bike. changing it every 3k is often complementary to other service related stuff, plus its cheap peace of mind.

if you cant afford the fence, you cant afford the horse. stop trying to find excuses to change oil every 9k miles or some ****. take good care of your bike, or else.

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 04:39 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraenn View Post
the oil in a car, and motorcycle, are very different things.

they have a different job to do in each of these two kinds of vehicles.

if you run a synthetic in your bike thats great, if you change it every 10k miles or something thats not so great and youre really pushing your luck unless you never run it beyond halfway into the rpm range.

3k is not necessary. thats really babying your bike. most ppl are in the 4k-6k range and thats perfectly reasonable IF you use expensive high quality stuff.

but.. the truth about a short oil change interval is that the kind of person who can not afford to change the oil every 3k miles is the kind of person who should not have a bike. changing it every 3k is often complementary to other service related stuff, plus its cheap peace of mind.

if you cant afford the fence, you cant afford the horse. stop trying to find excuses to change oil every 9k miles or some ****. take good care of your bike, or else.
Why? You give no explanation except to say that a motorcycle is different. Are you a petroleum engineer? I would almost say the opposite about a moto vs a car. About every car now is ran way over 100k miles. How much do people rack up on a bike 20-30k maybe? Even if your extra oil changes do help and you push the life of the engine from 150k-200k, it is pointless anyway since the engine will never reach that point anyway.

The truth is everyone grows up hearing cars need oil changes every 3k miles. Then you think because a bike revs higher, that it must be must harsher on the oil and now you really need to change it more frequently.

Changing the oil way more often is not called taking good care of your bike, it's called wasting money. Might was well at least half all your other scheduled maintenance items too. Chain cleaned and lubed every 250 miles, brake fluid every 6000 miles, etc.

2007 CBR600RR -- CVMA #270 -- Pictures -- Build Thread
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:24 AM

So I only have like 3500 on my oil change and I changed it this time last year. Should I just store it and change it in the spring or change it now and store it?

(Lapeer,
MI)

My Build
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 02:03 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

ALWAYS change it BEFORE you store it. when you put the new oil in, let that be the last thing you do, dont run it on the fresh oil then put it away. dont want that sitting in the engine all winter.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraenn View Post
ALWAYS change it BEFORE you store it. when you put the new oil in, let that be the last thing you do, dont run it on the fresh oil then put it away. dont want that sitting in the engine all winter.
Well I mean I do start my bike once a week over the winter when it's super cold cuz I don't yank my battery, I just star it once a week, and it hasnt failed me yet. But I'll change it this week before I store it and it should be good then till next spring and when I hit 5k sometime riding

(Lapeer,
MI)

My Build
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingbomb View Post
Why? You give no explanation except to say that a motorcycle is different. Are you a petroleum engineer? I would almost say the opposite about a moto vs a car. About every car now is ran way over 100k miles. How much do people rack up on a bike 20-30k maybe? Even if your extra oil changes do help and you push the life of the engine from 150k-200k, it is pointless anyway since the engine will never reach that point anyway.

The truth is everyone grows up hearing cars need oil changes every 3k miles. Then you think because a bike revs higher, that it must be must harsher on the oil and now you really need to change it more frequently.

Changing the oil way more often is not called taking good care of your bike, it's called wasting money. Might was well at least half all your other scheduled maintenance items too. Chain cleaned and lubed every 250 miles, brake fluid every 6000 miles, etc.
oil changes have to due with what kind of oil you use.

i had an 06 subaru impreza 2.5i and i used conventional oil in it, had to change it every 3k according to the service manual.

my mom's car on the other hand needs an oil change every 15k according to the user manual, but her car uses synthetic..

my dad is an engineer for an oil additives company (they make the stuff that goes into engine, transmission, and gear oils amoung other things.. also make stuff for wd-40 etc) so if there are specific questions that someone has about oil and how it breaks down based on engine use, please post them in a very simple 1,2,3, etc format and i will ask him..
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWario89 View Post
oil changes have to due with what kind of oil you use.

i had an 06 subaru impreza 2.5i and i used conventional oil in it, had to change it every 3k according to the service manual.

my mom's car on the other hand needs an oil change every 15k according to the user manual, but her car uses synthetic..

my dad is an engineer for an oil additives company (they make the stuff that goes into engine, transmission, and gear oils amoung other things.. also make stuff for wd-40 etc) so if there are specific questions that someone has about oil and how it breaks down based on engine use, please post them in a very simple 1,2,3, etc format and i will ask him..
It's funny my 08 impreza 2.5i has 7500 mile interval limits and does not specify using synthetic. Another thing I find odd is how much higher the intervals are in other markets. The person above posted the interval for a europe and they are way different. It's not like they get any special oil or anything.

2007 CBR600RR -- CVMA #270 -- Pictures -- Build Thread
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingbomb View Post
It's funny my 08 impreza 2.5i has 7500 mile interval limits and does not specify using synthetic. Another thing I find odd is how much higher the intervals are in other markets. The person above posted the interval for a europe and they are way different. It's not like they get any special oil or anything.
the very simple version that my dad gave me is this

oil change intervals depend on the type of oil being used (including the weight, etc..) and what kind of abuse the engine goes through..

so his examples were this: using synthetic in a race bike doesn't you change it every 5k miles. If you really beat on the bike and go to red line often then you should change it sooner, if you only cruise then you can get to 5k miles no problem..same thing with cars, a Benz sedan is designed to run at lower rpms, and because most people dont floor the car all day its easy for them to change the oil every 15k. This however requires high quality synthetic oil (he made sure to point out that there is a huge difference in amsoil or mobil 1 comapred to the cheap synthetics). it also has a lot to do with oil density, and how the engine uses the oil. there is no clear cut answer that applies to every situation.

long story short, there is no sure way to determine when the oil needs to be changed. He said that there are so many variables (ie oil quality, weight, driving style, engine design, etc) that its impossible to give an exact mileage. All the service manuals give a number that is most likely very safe so that there is minimal liability for the company of the vehicle..

change it sooner than later, that was his advice to anyone that is worried about it
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Knee Dragger

for those who use mobil1 racing, it is a 10W-40, but the honda manual says to use a 10W-30. Sorry for my lack of oil knowledge, but what is the difference between the 30 & 40, and is it ok to use the 40 on the bike.

Thanks
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It is perfectly fine to use 10W-40.

The oils are actually the same viscosity at start-up but the 40 is slightly thicker at operating temp.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Training Wheel Hero

wow so many opinions on distance makes me feel bad for doin over 12k a year with a change every 6k or so totaling about $75. using royal purple motorcycle 20w50(i think) (its thier vtwin oil) and usually either a purolator or fram filter. lol

Last edited by Dwb288; 12-04-2011 at 08:22 PM.
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:14 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

so basically, that kids dad reiterated what i said above. in high performance applications, you have to change it sooner, use higher quality stuff, or both. changing the oil in a bike every 9k miles or whatever is pushing your luck. changing it every 2 is pretty silly but dont think for one second that bikes can go as long as cars can. bike engines, as theyre engineered, are higher tolerance, higher compression, higher performance engines that make for a pretty good case of apples and oranges.

your 2.4 liter 4cyl daily driver car that you never rev very high, runs engine oil pressure comparable to a bike and compression somewhere around 9:1, maybe even 10:1 just doesnt compare.

use good **** in your bike and change it often "enough." how often is enough? as soon as it starts shifting like crap and getting notchy, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly (sometimes that sorta thing slips by unnoticed for a while) then beyond that, time to change the oil and filter.

fallingbomb was saying why this and why that, and ive stated well known rationales for the above, but heres the problem..

guy A - "take care of your ****, dont wait too long to do the simple stuff"
guy B - "why should i do that, SEEMS fine even if i take forever to handle things"

which way of doing things means youre taking your chances? you REALLY wanna take your chances with YOUR bike? hey man you guys can rag out YOUR bikes if you want, but im gonna do EVERYthing i can to keep my **** primo =] which way of doing things is the smart way to go? i mean cmon, this is a no-brainer =P
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
btw, its not exactly the revs that kill the oil in the bike ... its the transmission and the sheering effect that the gears have on the oil ;)

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
btw, its not exactly the revs that kill the oil in the bike ... its the transmission and the sheering effect that the gears have on the oil ;)
This is correct, I learned this from my job dealing with hydraulic fluid and selling to steel mills

(Lapeer,
MI)

My Build
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM
clx
World Superbike Racer

sorry for reviving an oldy, but im due for my 16000 mile service and im doing some research. the manual ive got says oil every 8000miles nad oil filter every 4000 miles.

most of the posts above states more frequent oil changes, but always change the oil filter with the oil. This is what i was tought from childhood as well with my car, but the oil change on both cars is every 9000 miles, so this seems a stretch from honda to ask for 8000 miles, however id rather trust their written instructions and the knowledge her on 600rr.net, which unfortunatly is contradictory.

i commute highway daily in temperatures of 3 to 33 degreees C, so im thinking i can stretch the oil a bit, nothing sub zero and nothing desert like.

difficult decision. ive already gotten quotes for the service from a honda dealer as well as a general motorcycle dealer and the quotes differ by 25%. honda wants R4500 (about $400) and the general guy wants R3300 (about $300) that includes brake pads front and rear. dont know what else it includes.

so i dont know hey.

2005 600rr 36300km
2001 Isuzu kb 320 V6 LX double cab 212000km
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Street BOTM Winner 10/11

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by clx View Post
sorry for reviving an oldy, but im due for my 16000 mile service and im doing some research. the manual ive got says oil every 8000miles nad oil filter every 4000 miles.

most of the posts above states more frequent oil changes, but always change the oil filter with the oil. This is what i was tought from childhood as well with my car, but the oil change on both cars is every 9000 miles, so this seems a stretch from honda to ask for 8000 miles, however id rather trust their written instructions and the knowledge her on 600rr.net, which unfortunatly is contradictory.

i commute highway daily in temperatures of 3 to 33 degreees C, so im thinking i can stretch the oil a bit, nothing sub zero and nothing desert like.

difficult decision. ive already gotten quotes for the service from a honda dealer as well as a general motorcycle dealer and the quotes differ by 25%. honda wants R4500 (about $400) and the general guy wants R3300 (about $300) that includes brake pads front and rear. dont know what else it includes.

so i dont know hey.
so what's your question? If you should change the filter with the oil? I always do. Who should you go through for your service? If you could do it yourself. What is included in a service? Idk off the top of my head, I have to refer to the manual, but you have one already. What does it say?

R.I.P SPC Dylan Reid 03SEP1986-16OCT2010.
R.I.P. Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010.
R.I.P Marco Simoncelli #58 20JAN1987-23OCT2011
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM
clx
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELO View Post
so what's your question? If you should change the filter with the oil? I always do. Who should you go through for your service? If you could do it yourself. What is included in a service? Idk off the top of my head, I have to refer to the manual, but you have one already. What does it say?

ok lets summarise my questions since they are certainly unclear. i was mostly thinking out loud hoping for meaningfull advise, but here goes:
  1. thanks for confirming to change the oil filter with the oil
  2. Has anybody ever not needed to change the sparkplugs at 18000 miles
  3. do those who service at honda know if they do oil at 8000 or at 4000 or other?
  4. Does anybody torque the oil filter, oil sump plug, etc to the specified torque after servicing it at home
  5. SOme say 8 hours, others say an hour. do we have any mor einfo on how long its gonna take
  6. how much do you save normally by avoiding the dealer and just buying parts?
  7. where do you buy parts from, if not at honda dealer.
its my first service on my first bike, hence the insecurity

man ok im gonna stop now cause im running all over the place with this.

thanks in advance

2005 600rr 36300km
2001 Isuzu kb 320 V6 LX double cab 212000km
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Street BOTM Winner 10/11

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
[*]thanks for confirming to change the oil filter with the oil
Your welcome.[*]Has anybody ever not needed to change the sparkplugs at 18000 miles
I would change my plugs with that many miles.[*]do those who service at honda know if they do oil at 8000 or at 4000 or other?
I do my own oil changes.[*]Does anybody torque the oil filter, oil sump plug, etc to the specified torque after servicing it at home
I use the German method, goodntight.[*]SOme say 8 hours, others say an hour. do we have any mor einfo on how long its gonna take
Depends on what your having done.[*]how much do you save normally by avoiding the dealer and just buying parts?
Never took my bike to a dealer shop.[*]where do you buy parts from, if not at honda dealer.
Start with venders on here.

google is you best friend with questions like these.

R.I.P SPC Dylan Reid 03SEP1986-16OCT2010.
R.I.P. Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010.
R.I.P Marco Simoncelli #58 20JAN1987-23OCT2011
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
  1. thanks for confirming to change the oil filter with the oil Yes always change the filter with the oil change. ive never heard of changing the filters solo
  2. Has anybody ever not needed to change the sparkplugs at 18000 miles sorry im no help here. my bike only has 6k on it
  3. do those who service at honda know if they do oil at 8000 or at 4000 or other? i do it at 5k for both my car and bike. its just easier to rememeber. change on the 5's
  4. Does anybody torque the oil filter, oil sump plug, etc to the specified torque after servicing it at home hand tight is all you need
  5. SOme say 8 hours, others say an hour. do we have any mor einfo on how long its gonna take not to sound dickish..but it will take as long as you make it take. i can do my truck in under 30mins. bike i remove fairings so takes bit longer. but under hour
  6. how much do you save normally by avoiding the dealer and just buying parts? you save whatever the dealer rate is, im in states (see youre abroad) and dealer charges $43 per half hour. so my guess is it would save you at least $80+ (US Dollars) which is worth it IMO to do yourself
  7. where do you buy parts from, if not at honda dealer. good question. im not familiar with what types of stores exist where you live. i buy mine at my local walmart. any moto shop should have the supplies you need. they may be a bit more $ than say a walmart type store but if its close you can have the convenience factor

09' Black | Shogun Frame Sliders | DDM 6k HID's
TST IT-FE-Relay | Proton Front Turn Signals
Orange Rim Tape | Powder Coated Pegs | ZG Smoked OEM Windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page