which Oil filter question - Page 2 - 600RR.net
Oil and Lube For discussion of engine oil and lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 06:05 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
they designed the suspension around a price point. you're not making a relevant argument.

no engine manufacturer will ever specify filters or lubricants that could reduce the life span or reliability of their engine
So you don't think there are any benefits to using synthetic oil instead of conventional?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 06:53 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
synthetic you can run longer intervals, but nobody seems to.

i use honda gn4, always have, always will in my hondas. they don't need 90 dollar a change oil to last forever.

every single thread on any of these subjects just turns into a big circle jerk of people bragging about what they use while offering nothing whatsoever to suggest that their decision is a good one.

if your oil is clean and well filtered it's doing its job.

and that question has nothing to do with this thread, which is about filters, not oil.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 07:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
they designed the suspension around a price point. you're not making a relevant argument.

no engine manufacturer will ever specify filters or lubricants that could reduce the life span or reliability of their engine
Quote:
synthetic you can run longer intervals, but nobody seems to.

i use honda gn4, always have, always will in my hondas. they don't need 90 dollar a change oil to last forever.

every single thread on any of these subjects just turns into a big circle jerk of people bragging about what they use while offering nothing whatsoever to suggest that their decision is a good one.

if your oil is clean and well filtered it's doing its job.

and that question has nothing to do with this thread, which is about filters, not oil.
It has to do with the first statement. Follow me here for a second. What you're saying is that OEM recommendations can not be improved upon, and anything that can be improved upon was done due to price point. Regardless of what you may feel about your honda oil vs synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is going to be better for your engine and it's longevity every time. Just like there are better options than Honda HP coolant. So while it may not reduce the life span of your engine by using what is recommended, it isn't going to be as good for your engine as a better product (i.e synthetic oils, or superior filters)

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 07:56 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you can keep buying expensive filters, give 'er ****. really. go buy expensive oil too, then pour it in the garbage 25% into its service life.

when it comes to oil filters, there are more shitty ones than good ones, and everyone here seems to love k&n not for its filtration but because it has a ******* nut on the end of it.

and again, nobody here has shown one iota of relevant evidence to suggest their choice is better.

i never said things can't be improved upon, but using something other than oem doesn't automatically make it better. it's hilarious watching people downgrade their bikes just to make them different than stock
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:02 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

which Oil filter question

I keep seeing this thread pop up as an active topic & could not imagine there's that much to discuss. Looking in here it confirmed my suspicion that it had left the realm of useful info & had devolved into circular debate and unrelated comparisons. Yep, pretty much.

Oil filters for the 600rr? FYI, you know that Moto2 bikes run the OEM filter? That, the engine cases, & airboxes are about the only thing left of a 600rr on those bikes. I think the OEM filter more than meets any requirement of the engine for it's purpose. You can spend your money however you like but don't kid yourself that your making any appreciable benefit to engine life or performance by an oil filter beyond the OEM one. Then again the nut on the end of the K&N is a pretty handy idea.

Quote:
it's hilarious watching people downgrade their bikes just to make them different than stock
This quote should be a sticky on this & every moto forum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Knee Dragger

The idea isn't to buy better and more expensive filters, it's to buy as good or better, cheaper filters. Most all bikes can accept a car oil filter that is half the cost if not less, and perform as well, or better than the original. And most bikes can actually support a larger car oil filters so not only is it cheaper, you get a larger filter surface are for better flow and more oil in the system.

I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.

FWMR.net Webmaster
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Knee Dragger

The idea isn't to buy better and more expensive filters, it's to buy as good or better, cheaper filters. Most all bikes can accept a car oil filter that is half the cost if not less, and perform as well, or better than the original. And most bikes can actually support a larger car oil filters so not only is it cheaper, you get a larger filter surface area for better flow and more oil in the system.

I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.

FWMR.net Webmaster
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcshadow View Post
The idea isn't to buy better and more expensive filters, it's to buy as good or better, cheaper filters.
This is exactly why I buy the K&N filter. Cheaper than OEM, and has a 17mm nut to make it easier to remove.

Same as why I use normal oil instead of fully synthetic, so much cheaper and when it is being changed @ 5000-6000km intervals there isn't a need for full synthetic.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman View Post
In use the K&N, simply because it is a bit cheaper than OEM and has the 17mm nut for removal.
and torquing down to OEM spec :).
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

I've always used OEM filters...they may not have the same R&D behind them as (insert brand here), but I know the flow rate of it and the oil pump will match...but even with a full Akrapovic system I don't seem to have the clearance issue that others have mentioned...just make sure to adequately cover the headers with whatever works best to prevent oil from dripping onto the pipes.

1971 Volkswagen 1302 (02.19.2015 - )

For Sale:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/153-07-13-rr...0rr-c-abs.html
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakasrtheshiz View Post
So you don't think there are any benefits to using synthetic oil instead of conventional?
I'm with @wibbly on this one. I don't see the point spending more money on synthetic oil when I change mine every 5-6000km. It is just a waste of money.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Found a Ryco Z436 filter at Supercheap Auto here in Australia, set me back $12. Cheaper than $23 for the KN-204 and even more for the OEM.

Spec wise with diameters and height are almost identical to OEM.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
How much did you pay? Last OEM one I bought from my dealer was $10.50.
It was only 7 bucks. Couldn't beat the price and I was already at autozone and didn't want to go anywhere else so I bought it.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I do feel oem is the way to go, but also that not all "non oem" products are bad either. Same thing with oil, yeah I could use mobile 1 or the equivalent designed for motorcycles, but I've used t6 on all my bikes(big part being the price point) and I've never noticed an issue and it's half the price. Like I said above, oem is recommended and proven, but I also don't feel all aftermarket filters, etc, will compromise engine reliability and/or longevity.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 03:28 AM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsolsen333 View Post
It was only 7 bucks. Couldn't beat the price and I was already at autozone and didn't want to go anywhere else so I bought it.
yep Driveing to the next place is 95% of the battle I get what fits. From where I am hardware store or walmart

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page