Changed oil, 6 litres came out instead of 3 - 600RR.net
Oil and Lube For discussion of engine oil and lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changed oil, 6 litres came out instead of 3

I just changed the oil and filter on my 2003 600rr for the first time since getting it. In the service manual it says to put in 2.9 litres of oil so I was expecting a similar amount to come out..

Lo an behold, six whole litres came out instead, i put it into three 2 litre juice bottles and they filled right up to the top.. Lucky I got the bigger oil drain pan cause it nearly overflowed onto the garage floor!

Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Should be 3.5 quartrs or 3.6 litres.

You can grow old, but you don't need to grow up.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Yes.. I'm assuming you were not the last person to change the oil...?

Does the old oil smell like gas at all? Milky color? Green tint?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Haha yeah I definitely wasn't the last one to change it.. No noticeable anomalies with the old oil, it was very black though and I was having trouble finding neutral when the bike was hot before I changed it.. To be honest I'm really surprised anybody could get that much in there. I drained the oil when the engine temp was about 70 degrees Celsius, is it possible the oil could have expanded? Just a thought but I'm pretty sure oil doesn't do this..

Now that you mention it, it did kind of smell like petrol a bit.. There were other cars leaving the garage at the time so I didn't think anything of it.. I'll have a sniff tonight and see whether I was imagining it or not
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:57 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
No oil does not expand. Check for smell of gas and we can go from there.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I suspecting PO forgot to drain the oil ad just added three liters.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileRR View Post
Should be 3.5 quartrs or 3.6 litres.
Oil + filter change is 3.1 quarts / 2.9L. I normally put in 3L in my '03 and is fine.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:10 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,542 Times in 2,154 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Apparently Previous owner was not aware that an oil change means replacing old oil with new oil

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yeah that's what I'm hoping but I'm not sure you could even get that much oil in without it starting to overflow out of the filler hole.. I'm just really hoping I don't have a blown head gasket or something...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:27 AM
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by life-on-pegs View Post
Yeah that's what I'm hoping but I'm not sure you could even get that much oil in without it starting to overflow out of the filler hole.. I'm just really hoping I don't have a blown head gasket or something...
The old oil you dumped was not murky that is the first sign of a blown head gasket . In addition if the oil pan had that much oil in it then it was simply overfilled which really puzzels me because the oil pan even if overfilled it would carry that much of oil . I got a general question now after the oil change how is the bike running ? Smooth idle , does it smoke , stalls , over heats , oil pressure light is on or all is normal

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
The old oil you dumped was not murky that is the first sign of a blown head gasket . In addition if the oil pan had that much oil in it then it was simply overfilled which really puzzels me because the oil pan even if overfilled it would carry that much of oil . I got a general question now after the oil change how is the bike running ? Smooth idle , does it smoke , stalls , over heats , oil pressure light is on or all is normal
It wasn't murky but it was very dark so I probably couldn't tell you if it was murky. It just looked like really old oil that hadn't been changed in a very long time. This is my first 600 but it seems to be running normal, exactly as it was before. Idle is more or less smooth (the needle bounces a very small amount, maybe 100-200rpms), no error lights, doesn't seem to overheat. It occasionally blows a tiny bit of smoke but not very much at all. Mind you I haven't given it a really good rev while watching the exhaust. It seems to ride smooth as well. Everything's all exactly the same as it was before changing the oil, except that the gears change heaps more smoothly now, which is to be expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWormer View Post
No oil does not expand. Check for smell of gas and we can go from there.
I checked the oil and it seems a bit less thick than other old oil I've taken out of bikes and cars. It also smells a little of petrol.

Don't know if it's related but I noticed the reserve coolant tank has a brown liquid in it. I'm not sure what it is...

Last edited by life-on-pegs; 06-17-2016 at 05:02 AM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:05 AM
Back in the Day

Excellent news about the oil and the bike in general . Now The brown fluid you see in the plastic bottle reprsents reserve coolsnt you need to change the coolant all together cause i bet you what is in the radiator is just as nasty as what you see in that reserve bottle .

Fresh coolant will make a huge difference in the way the bike runs as well , the RR in general tends to heat up fast and reaching the temp of 220 F to 225 F which is the boliing point of radiator fluid & its when the fan starts running regularly . This will occur often on hot summer days while idling at red lights but once traffic starts moving temp will come back down so change the coolant as well you wont regret it

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks, I've been planning on doing the coolant but I'm trying to make do with a small shared garage so one thing at a time :) I'll get around to the coolant when my paddock stand arrives, probably next week or next weekend.

What is the brown liquid in the coolant reserve? Obviously it isn't coolant... Could oil or petrol be leaking into it?

Any ideas why so much oil came out? It was definitely thinner than used oil should be so maybe petrol is leaking into it somehow?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

By the way, the bike does often go above 105 celsius (220 farenheit), in general with fresh coolant should it usually be staying below this? When I rode it home for the first time I rode on the freeway and it got up to about 116 celsius
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Back in the Day

Quote:
By the way, the bike does often go above 105 celsius (220 farenheit), in general with fresh coolant should it usually be staying below this? When I rode it home for the first time I rode on the freeway and it got up to about 116 celsius
Such temps are normal for the RR the coolant is in dire straits to be changed . The reason behind the rust color could be neglect and not due to oil leaking into it as that would have also been apparent in the oil itself being murky ( mixed with coolant) . So just change the coolant and take off that reservoir tank off and clean it throughly from the inside before refilling the radiator use what is called a radiator flush kit for cleaning purposes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

If the bike runs fine then you didn't hurt anything. Move along.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,714 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
6 litres without damage is pretty much impossible.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Such temps are normal for the RR the coolant is in dire straits to be changed . The reason behind the rust color could be neglect and not due to oil leaking into it as that would have also been apparent in the oil itself being murky ( mixed with coolant) . So just change the coolant and take off that reservoir tank off and clean it throughly from the inside before refilling the radiator use what is called a radiator flush kit for cleaning purposes
Thanks for your help man, I'm going to flush and change the coolant in the next few days. Is there anything I should check for in the old coolant?
Cheers
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 01:35 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
Thanks for your help man, I'm going to flush and change the coolant in the next few days. Is there anything I should check for in the old coolant?
Cheers
My pleasure to share the knowledge nothing special about the coolant change , just make sure after the radiator is flushed and cleaned while filling it up to burrp it in order to get rid of the air in the radiator . You got to keep repeating such step until the radiator is full . There should be a detailed thread about coolant change look it up or for more detailed info or simply post any questions here & i will gladly answer them .

The Following User Says Thank You to Moeman For This Useful Post:
life-on-pegs (06-19-2016)
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 10:59 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Is it possible someone over oiled it for wheelie related reasons?

bought my 07 600rr on 11/4/11. rode it once before riding season was over, best time of my life.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstick93 View Post
Is it possible someone over oiled it for wheelie related reasons?
Not that much. Highly doubt it.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
My pleasure to share the knowledge nothing special about the coolant change , just make sure after the radiator is flushed and cleaned while filling it up to burrp it in order to get rid of the air in the radiator . You got to keep repeating such step until the radiator is full . There should be a detailed thread about coolant change look it up or for more detailed info or simply post any questions here & i will gladly answer them .
I flushed the coolant 3 times with distilled water and then filled it with coolant. The dealer said it needed 3.1 litres but I could only get about 2 litres in before it filled up. As for the burping, how high should I have revved it to get all the bubbles out? I burped it a few times to about 3k RPM and it still sat full (this was after filling the reserve tank as well).

The coolant that came out was actually green, it looked brown/black in the reserve tank but it turns out the reserve tank was just severely stained.. I tried to rinse it a few times with water but it didn't do much to clean it.. Maybe I need to order a new reserve tank...
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 06:23 AM
Back in the Day

Just an FYI the reserve tank should not be filled all the way on the side of the tank there is marking for two levels low and high you have to leave some volume in the tank empty so when the bike gets hot radiator fluid flows into the reserve tank freely otherwise it will over flow giving you a false impression of a leak

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
As for the burping, how high should I have revved it to get all the bubbles out? I burped it a few times to about 3k RPM and it still sat full (this was after filling the reserve tank as well).
You should just need to snap the throttle on/off a few times.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Too easy mate! I filled it to the top line in the reserve tank and revved it up a few times. Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page