Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Which oil and filter?

52K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  5.4ever 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi there.

I have bought a cbr600rr from 2007 with only 5700 km on it.

I wanted to change the oil and filter.
Any recommendations on which oil (brand and W) and filter to use?

Thank you soooo much.

Cheers,
WoH :)

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lots of options:
  • Honda bike oil
  • Expensive Motul oil
  • Shell Rotella T6 5W40 diesel oil (I use this)
  • Mobil 1 synthetic car oil 10W40 (I use this)
  • Amsoil motorcycle oil
  • Generic bike oil from auto zone

• Wix car filter 51358
  • Purolator car filter PL14612
  • Mobil car filter M1-108
  • K and N filter KN204
  • Honda oem filter

All are reputable, so I base my decision on price.

#3 ·
Lots of options:
Honda bike oil
Expensive Motul oil
Shell Rotella T6 5W40 diesel oil (I use this)
Mobil 1 synthetic car oil 10W40 (I use this)
Amsoil motorcycle oil
Generic bike oil from auto zone

Wix car filter 51358
Purolator car filter PL14612
Mobil car filter M1-108
K and N filter KN204
Honda oem filter

All are reputable, so I base my decision on price.
is the mobil m108 the same as the m108A? I heard the psi rating on the relief valve is pretty high on the mobil ones, since then I only stick with either wix, purolator, or hell..even a supertech filter

#10 ·
I can't remember to be honest:/ all I know is i heard something about the mobil being too high for our bikes and that it could cause an issue over time, but if you change your oil frequently enough, you shouldn't have an issue

#5 ·
I was using K&N filters with the nut spot welded on the end. Some stories about the the welds tearing and leaving oil running down under the back tire. I switched to MAHLE Original OC 575 Oil Filter which you can get on Amazon. I think it is a motorcycle specific filter. Nice O-ring. Very happy with them. Also, the bike owner swore by Shell Rotella T6 that I got It from. I thought I was smarter so switched to Amsoil at 15 bucks a quart. Did a couple of oil changes and thought it was shifting smoother as I was a new rider. Went back to T6 a couple of weeks ago and the bike shifts the same and seems to run about 10 degreees F cooler.

#8 ·
Honda oil, either GN4 or HP4 if you're feeling saucy, and an oem filter. Make sure you get a new crush washer for the drain bolt while you're there.

Can't go wrong with OEM parts, about the same price as aftermarket parts as well. Don't make stuff harder than it is.

#15 · (Edited)
Rotella T6 full synthetic at Walmart $21
FRAM XG6607 full synthetic oil filter $4.50 ea for 6 pack or $9 ea at Walmart

Call me crazy for recommending FRAM but this is one of the few oil filters with full synthetic filter media, meaning it can last for years stewing in dirty oil without breaking down. It is a relatively new filter that seems to get excellent reviews everywhere. I started using the XG7317 in my Civics. The Mobil 1 M8 is only partial synthetic and the K&N 204 is overpriced locally. I love that I can get the FRAM and Rotella locally for a fair price and not worry about beating the hell out of the bike. Change once a year.

Don't forget crush washers, 12mm ID. Replace them once in awhile so you dont have to overtorque the drain bolt to get a seal. You can order them or get a pack from auto parts store. Oil drain bolt torque spec is 22 ft lbs.

I am a weight reduction nerd so while you are at it, $9 gets you drilled CNC Aluminum magnetic drain bolt. Thread diameter is 12mm X 1.5mm pitch

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
Mobile One Racing 4t/OEM Filter.

The crush washer can survive through like 10 or 15 oil changes - Do I recommend it no, but it's not a deal breaker - You'll have to tighten the drain bolt more than spec.

Just tighten the drain bolt to spec, and clean the surrounding area really good. Check for residue/leakage after every ride for a few rides. Literally takes one second to swipe your finger under the contact point for the bolt/washer.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Temperature, viscosity, and filtration is important for any engine - so why compromise?

Extra Light so the engine can rev up quicker with less friction.

You will never leak a drop of oil with the perfect tolerance on this filter.

This is not only my choice, but the RACER'S CHOICE.

Reactions: SaratogaLED
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.