600RR.net

600RR.net (https://www.600rr.net/vb/)
-   Tires, Suspension & Handling (https://www.600rr.net/vb/19-tires-suspension-handling/)
-   -   Bent rim, needs repair (https://www.600rr.net/vb/19-tires-suspension-handling/10728-bent-rim-needs-repair.html)

dennsdamenace 08-04-2004 08:56 PM

Bent rim, needs repair

Bend my front rim recently, does anyone know how to repair it? Should I take a hammer and hammer it straight :?: or maybe it's better taking it to a shop? But what kind of shop, and how much am I expected to pay?

hondaf4iguy 08-04-2004 09:15 PM

I cannot find it right now, but there is a place that will do it for $135. And they will get it with .003" of perfect. If I find it, I will post it here.

dennsdamenace 08-04-2004 11:56 PM

135 bucks....sounds cheaper than buying a new rim! think i'll have to paint (probably spray paint because who pays attention to wheels anyways unless their chromed) it after they fix the bent rim too?

hondaf4iguy 08-05-2004 08:28 AM

Moved to tires, suspension etc...

formergixxer 08-05-2004 12:20 PM

I bent a rim once, way beyond repair though. I dunno I would be so scared of riding on a repaired rim, but I guess it would be ok. I am just a worrier given my previous tire and wheel problems, so I harp over that stuff.

You would likely have to paint, but it all depends. BTW, just how did you bend the rim I am curious?

hondaf4iguy 08-05-2004 12:23 PM

formergixxer, you should see some stuff that gets fixed. I believe they do a ND inspection on the wheels. This will garantee how well the wheel was repaired.

I understand the concern though.

dennsdamenace 08-06-2004 05:37 PM

I really don't know how i bent the front rim...however the rear rim was cracked. Me being inexperienced :???: i layed my bike down taking a sharp turn, and I think the wheels got in contact with the guard rail when it was sliding...but yeah...crashing sucks, buying/looking for parts sucks...luckily I am okay and walking half decenlty ;-) :smile:

hondaf4iguy 08-06-2004 05:48 PM

dennsdamenace, glad you are alright. I have not found that link yet.

2X80MPH 08-18-2004 07:18 PM

If your rim is "bent",have it checked with the Zyglo (magnaflux) process. This will tell you if there are any cracks! If no cracks are present and you attempt to straighten it you must repete the zyglo process to insure it's still OK :!:

____RED RR____
*AFAM rear
*Galfer SS lines
*Motul E-Tech
*Pilot power
*Vinci carbon fiber

"The BITTERNESS of poor quality remains long after the SWEETNESS of a cheap price is forgotten!"

kraker 08-23-2004 08:50 PM

hey man, try WILL'S RIM REPAIR in Greenville, SC. GMD Computrack referred me to him today. Will quoted me $65 to straighten the wheel and said depending on the severity, he could get it fixed and shipped back out the same day he receives it, up to two days if it's "bad". Don't ask me what he would consider bad. He said take everything off (including tire) but the bearings and send it to him. 864-787-1351